• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue I & II HD Announced [PS4/X1/Steam] 2018

Ebele

Shenmue II was one of the first games I ever owned. I remember reading about it in an issue of Gamepro and I was so hyped. Never got to beat it due to my lack of video game skills at the time, but very excited to replay and finish it soon. I loved that it game with a DVD of the first game, so you could catch up with the story too.

DjMystix

The feature I’m most excited about is virtually no load times. I have such fond memories of playing Shenmue back then on Dreamcast but I also remember how painful those load times were.. Can’t wait to go back to these games again!!

WarpedPixels

Neo Member
Out sooner than I expected, I was thinking September time. It's going to be glorious hearing those FREE tracks again. And the overall atmosphere of the first game.

Valonquar

Kind of want this.
If only they'd do Panzer Dragoon Azel right. Too much work to do a full rebuild since they lost the original builds I guess. ;_;

BANGS

Banned
I'm really disappointed by these ports already from everything we've heard. Still giving them a chance and preordered all 3 versions but I've lost the confidence that this will be the definitive edition. It's a pretty lazy port, I wish they went with a higher price tag to justify more effort put into it. While I do get it's a miracle we got anything at all, I can't really care about that when I can always play on my DC or PC via emulation without features ripped out...

MayauMiao

I'm really disappointed by these ports already from everything we've heard. Still giving them a chance and preordered all 3 versions but I've lost the confidence that this will be the definitive edition. It's a pretty lazy port, I wish they went with a higher price tag to justify more effort put into it. While I do get it's a miracle we got anything at all, I can't really care about that when I can always play on my DC or PC via emulation without features ripped out...

If they went with a higher price tag they probably won't get enough sales to justify the re-release.

The game is old, and may not be everyone's cup of tea. I don't even want to buy it if it cost more than $50, so I'm glad that its $30.

BANGS

Banned
If they went with a higher price tag they probably won't get enough sales to justify the re-release.

The game is old, and may not be everyone's cup of tea. I don't even want to buy it if it cost more than $50, so I'm glad that its $30.
I get that, can't please everyone unfortunately. Just is a real shame for me personally...

-Xenokai-

Neo Member
Wish they would have the option to stretch the 4x3 cutscene automatically to 16x9. The stretching never bothers me on 4x3 content.

BANGS

Banned
Wish they would have the option to stretch the 4x3 cutscene automatically to 16x9. The stretching never bothers me on 4x3 content.
At least they give the option to keep gameplay in 4:3 so it's not a bunch of jarring transitions. Although one has to wonder why the scenes in shenmue 2 are limited to 4:3 when most of them are letterboxed already... It would be real stupid if they kept it that way instead of giving the option to have 16:9 native...

BANGS

Banned
They're teasing another Shenmue related announcement for today. I can't imagine what it is but as usual I'm not getting my hopes up...

plushyp

I've been pretty out of the loop regarding this but other than the 30FPS cap, what all has been removed or kept unchanged?

BANGS

Banned
I've been pretty out of the loop regarding this but other than the 30FPS cap, what all has been removed or kept unchanged?
Here's a list of gripes, some not nearly as important as others to me but everyone has their own opinion on how important they are:

-30fps cap
-1080p cap
-Updated UI looks kinda shitty, but to be fair we haven't seen much of it yet and it might be premature to pass judgement
-Graphical errors present in some footage like missing shadows
-Passport Disk completely non existant
-Still using compressed audio files for voices on the first game, they couldn't be assed to recut source material
-NPCs still pop in just as bad as before
-4:3 cutscenes
-No save transfer feature to Shenmue 3

Now I get that fixing some of these would be a TON of work and some even somewhat unrealistic(especially save transfer), and you can't please everyone. But for me personally I would have preferred to pay full price for a serious port that tackled most of these issues, rather than 27 bucks for this budget port...

BANGS

Banned
They're teasing another Shenmue related announcement for today. I can't imagine what it is but as usual I'm not getting my hopes up...
Oh dear god nevermind it's just more Adam Koralik nonsense... getting real sick of this guy especially after his last video basically calling fans stupid for expecting a solid port of their favorite game...

Why does Sega have to tease everything and get people riled up about nothing? We don't need to know what you had for lunch Sega, and we certainly don't need a teaser about it the day before you tell us...

BANGS

Banned
That feature would have to be implemented in Shenmue 3...
It would require cooperation between both developers, which is why I admit it's the most unrealistic expectation on the list. But this was a groundbreaking and amazing feature the first two games had, with the promise of it carrying throughout the series as time went on, so it is pretty important to many fans...

FranXico

It would require cooperation between both developers, which is why I admit it's the most unrealistic expectation on the list. But this was a groundbreaking and amazing feature the first two games had, with the promise of it carrying throughout the series as time went on, so it is pretty important to many fans...
I think it's feasible in current gen. After all, native save files will be written while playing the remastered version of Shenmue I and II.
There shouldn't be any issue, neither technically nor "politically".

Last edited:

BANGS

Banned
I think it's feasible in current gen. After all, native save files will be written while playing the remastered version of Shenmue I and II.
There shouldn't be any issue, neither technically nor "politically".
But there will be, because Sega lmfao. When's the last time they actually gave us what we want? Outside of the Yakuza series of course lol

Either way the save file system will still be disappointing because capsule toys won't be in Shenmue 3 as they are all based on Sega IPs. It's a real shame what happened to this series...

Last edited:
NPC fade in distance is not fixed? Holy shit, why not keep load times like the original for accuracy and nostalgia?

At this point, am I better off just emulating the originals? I have them.

BANGS

Banned
NPC fade in distance is not fixed? Holy shit, why not keep load times like the original for accuracy and nostalgia?

At this point, am I better off just emulating the originals? I have them.
We can't say for sure until it's out. It's certainly going to be it's own unique experience and I have to play it as a huge Shenmue fan. But yeah, it certainly seems like emulation has quite a few advantages...

BANGS

Banned
I'm fine with the release, including flaws. This release seemed impossible a few years ago. I'll take whatever.
SEGA is banking on that attitude lol. But that's cool, if you haven't been able to play these games for one reason or another it's definitely worth picking up!

We can't say for sure until it's out. It's certainly going to be it's own unique experience and I have to play it as a huge Shenmue fan. But yeah, it certainly seems like emulation has quite a few advantages...

Yeah, as a hardcore fan chances are slim I won't pick it up. Still feeling a bit miffed but this is Sega, what did I expect?

MC Safety

I received a press release from Sega today. It points to a YouTube video.

This might be what you're referring to:

See the video here:

Celebrate the upcoming Shenmue I & II re-release by retracing Ryo Hazuki's footsteps in Dobuita Street

Shenmue I & II are getting a long-awaited re-release this August 21 st, and to celebrate the announcement in April, SEGA surprised two Shenmue superfans with a trip to Yokosuka in Japan, so they could experience one of the game's most iconic locations in real life. Follow YouTuber Adam Koralik and award-winning comedian Imran Yusuf on their trip here:

From convenience stores to vending machines, the open-world of Shenmue still bears resemblance to the bustling and lively real world locations, and its very faithful representation of Dobuita Street immersed over a million players in Ryo's quest to avenge his father. To this day, dozens of Shenmue fans like Adam and Imran visit Dobuita Street every year to retrace Ryo Hazuki's footsteps, recalling their love for Shenmue and how they felt playing the games for the very first time.

On August 21 st, a new generation of players will also be able to follow Ryo's journey of retribution on PC, PS4 and Xbox One. For all the latest information on Shenmue I & II, head over to: https://shenmue.sega.com/

###

Media Contacts for SEGA of Europe in North America:

I am almost scared this could turn into a Silent Hill HD type fiasco. I mean... What excuse is there to not have this run at native 4k? Fuck Sega for not getting Bluepoint to do this port.

BANGS

Banned
I am almost scared this could turn into a Silent Hill HD type fiasco. I mean... What excuse is there to not have this run at native 4k? Fuck Sega for not getting Bluepoint to do this port.
I honestly don't give a damn about 4k but there's plenty of other grievances I have. I don't think it will be objectively bad like Silent Hill, just disappointing...

No passport disk? It's like a tutorial and it has some amazing models.
Yeah it's real scummy of them to cut it out. At the very least keep the tutorial speeches which new gamers may very well need unless they wanna spoil themselves looking up the mechanics...

I mean hell it's 18 years later and a ton of fans don't even know what the B button does...

I honestly don't give a damn about 4k but there's plenty of other grievances I have. I don't think it will be objectively bad like Silent Hill, just disappointing

I don't care much about 4k either, it's just baffling to me that they somehow couldn't reach it. The hardware gap between the DC and a PS4 is gigantic and it reeks of a bad port if this game is taxing at 1080p.

Anyway, hoping for a bug free and smooth experience at least. Will try to get the platinum trophies if I find the time.

RAIDEN1

For me it's the most easiest way to finally get into this game...after missing out on it since release, save for having to get a Dreamcast, or worry about getting a decent PC controller, that would be compatiable with this game, or any issues in using emulation to run the DC version on a PC, as long as big/key/game changing features in the game aren't missing then that's fine by me.....I was half tempted to get the xbox version to try and use on the 360, but with that you get no japanese voice-overs...it's a minor miracle in itself that we are even getting this port.....otherwise they have had a good 8-10 years to get this game out yet Sega never bothered...

Sounds like a quick 'n' dirty port from what I'm reading.

It would have always been this way, anyone expecting any more is only kidding themselves. The collection only happened due to a fan funded game getting some traction, this is a quick cash grab from Sega, which, to be honest, is quite insulting to the fans. They done the least the could for shenmue 3 (at least from what has been reported on) and they will do the same for this. The dreamcast/shenmue salt is still strong with Sega.

Last edited:

Breakage

It would have always been this way, anyone expecting any more is only kidding themselves. The collection only happened due to a fan funded game getting some traction, this is a quick cash grab from Sega, which, to be honest, is quite insulting to the fans. They done the least the could for shenmue 3 (at least from what has been reported on) and they will do the same for this. The dreamcast/shenmue salt is still strong with Sega.
Yeah, I agree. The first game has been locked to a console that is almost 20 years old (I know there's emulation, but not everyone has the technical capability), so can't really complain.

Alec

Can't wait to play this. I dropped $350 on the S3 Kickstarter so I'm one of those guy that can't be dissuaded.

Crowza

Who's the dumbass at Sega who decided not to put this on Switch? Only games I play on my Xbox anymore is pubg, siege and rocket league(online friends) This type of game I absolutely would have purchased on the Switch.

Not so much a port beg but trying to figure out third parties Assinine decisions lately.

Just a guess..

CPU Architecture:
PC: x86
XBO: x86
PS4: x86
Switch: ARM

Since the port is based on the Original Xbox version of Shenmue II (also x86), how long it has taken to finally get them, and the current emulation state of Shenmue - I'd say Switch was not selected as a platform based on its ARM CPU, regardless of any other unknown executive decisions.

Pure speculation on my part, but most logical to me.

Toe-Knee

Just a guess..

CPU Architecture:
PC: x86
XBO: x86
PS4: x86
Switch: ARM

Since the port is based on the Original Xbox version of Shenmue II (also x86), how long it has taken to finally get them, and the current emulation state of Shenmue - I'd say Switch was not selected as a platform based on its ARM CPU, regardless of any other unknown executive decisions.

Pure speculation on my part, but most logical to me.

This is very valid but it is possible to emulate shenmue in 1080p with widescreen fixes on any android TV smoothly and the switch is essentially a high spec android TV box so it would be possible even if they just emulate the originals and edited the button prompts.

Does anyone know if the game will have portuguese subs? I know they confirmed it'll have others languages but not which ones (I wanna introduce the game to my brazilian friends)

BANGS

Banned
What is the best DC emulator these days?
Demul has the best authentic experience, whereas NullDC has the best performance. Best to use both depending on which game you are playing and how well your PC can handle Demul(which is surprisingly taxing)...

Nicktendo86

Yeah sounds like a quick, lazy port which is a shame. The lack of real brands will be a bit off putting as well.

Will still get it though, emulating isn't and option and hooking up my dreamcast is a pain.

Top Bottom