• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue II has duck racing in it.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Wario64 said:
Shenmue 2 is playable via BC, and this news is awesome. Feel like digging up the Dreamcast and playing the Europe import again
I never got around to this because of the hassle needed to convert a US Shenmue save file to a UK one so that the import would read it properly. :/

One of the biggest mistakes I've made gaming wise was never, ever importing the Euro version of Shenmue years and years ago. Looking at Ebay... see that there's a PAL copy going for $245 :l

Parallax Scroll said:
Who are Eileen and Izumi? I can't remember if I fought them.

Eileen's the girl who trains in the park in Aberdeen (I think) who looks a bit like Android 18 from DBZ; Izumi is the cashier in the Tomato Convenience Store.

Iceman

Parallax Scroll said:
Mind blown.

Who are Eileen and Izumi? I can't remember if I fought them.

Bravo.

There the last two fighters you face in the top level of the arcade on the first disc. You'd remember them because (1) they're dressed in schoolgirl outfits and (2) they would have made you cry for days.

Real hard fights. Not enough room to run away from their huge lunges and grabs. And if you don't hit the QTEs just right (this happens often in the fights) then you lose right away.

You have to beat them to collect one of three coins that you need to get into the duck races. I remember you find one in some random corner of the streets of Hong Kong and you are rewarded another one if you don't do any damage in the outdoor restaurant at the docks during the initial QTE chase sequence (when you backpack gets stolen).

I'm sure I got some little details wrong.. but I play this game pretty regularly (once a year), and always go for the duck races.

vanty

Wasn't there duck racing in a Zelda game or something as well? I know I've raced ducks in something, and I'm sure I never unlocked this in Shenmue II after reading just there how hard it is.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
"Watch me, baby!"

Oh, SEGA. Back when you were good. :lol

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
One of the biggest mistakes I've made gaming wise was never, ever importing the Euro version of Shenmue years and years ago. Looking at Ebay... see that there's a PAL copy going for $245 :l

Holy fuck!

I bought my copy off eBay shortly after it came out for like $55-60

Wario64 said:
Holy fuck!

I bought my copy off eBay shortly after it came out for like $55-60
I think mine was $40. I got it used but in great condition at a mom and pop game store a few years after the game was out. :D

Iceman said:
There the last two fighters you face in the top level of the arcade on the first disc. You'd remember them because (1) they're dressed in schoolgirl outfits and (2) they would have made you cry for days.

Real hard fights. Not enough room to run away from their huge lunges and grabs. And if you don't hit the QTEs just right (this happens often in the fights) then you lose right away.

You have to beat them to collect one of three coins that you need to get into the duck races. I remember you find one in some random corner of the streets of Hong Kong and you are rewarded another one if you don't do any damage in the outdoor restaurant at the docks during the initial QTE chase sequence (when you backpack gets stolen).

I'm sure I got some little details wrong.. but I play this game pretty regularly (once a year), and always go for the duck races.
I don't remember this at all. My memory of disc 1 and 2 is foggy.

just another reason why this is the best games ever. the secret fights you had to do to unlock the ducks were essentially new quality bossfights.

so good, i still have my JP and PAL DC copies in mint condtion :D

skyfinch said:
Nice! I'll be duck racing.....after a game of lucky hit.

20080818shenmue.jpg

Chinner

Banned
ilikeme said:
This tipped me over the edge

Xbox PAL version, nothing wrong with it right?
i've still got my dc and shenmue 1 and 2, but i'll probably buy the xbox version now :lol not cause i want to race ducks, but because i want to play it. last time i played shenmue was when i was like 13 or something, reckon i'll appreciate it way more now.

ilikeme said:
This tipped me over the edge

Xbox PAL version, nothing wrong with it right?

English voices are worse than the japanese version.
Has some added lens flare and a coole photo mode.
its allright, i prefered the japanese voice over

Chinner said:
i've still got my dc and shenmue 1 and 2, but i'll probably buy the xbox version now :lol not cause i want to race ducks, but because i want to play it. last time i played shenmue was when i was like 13 or something, reckon i'll appreciate it way more now.

You don't fool me, duck.

Best. Game. Ever!!!

Already knew about this, but it still boggles my mind how much love and detail was poured into these games.

Did you know that in the first one if you wait till I think April the Cherry Tree in your yard will fully bloom? :D

Chinner

Banned
for some reason i have the phantasy star online music playing in my head. i think its combination and dreamcast nolstagia and insomnia that has brought it up.

also, quack.

ilikeme

Chinner said:
Of course you will :lol

I just bought it, waiting for answers is not cool

I'm taking English this term. Punching ducks out of trees will teach me grammar for free, I'm sure

Oh answers ahoy. Japanese voices? I'm sure the English voices will just add to the overall Sega funtimes

edit: oh god photo mode? like I have a camera in-game and can snap-snap-snap? if so, joy joy joy-ahoy

Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:

Yeah, but it's new and unopened. There can't be but so many of those left 10 years after the game came out.

Used copies in good condition have gone for $51 (auction) and $69.99 (buy it now) recently looking at the completed items.

Alphahawk

Deathcraze said:
Providing you can get past the voices, it's fine.

Watching that video just confirms my unpopular belief that english voice acting>english subtitles in video game. I dunno, it just seems less imersive to have to read the dialogue in the game.

Alphahawk said:
Watching that video just confirms my unpopular belief that english voice acting>english subtitles in video game. I dunno, it just seems less imersive to have to read the dialogue in the game.

i dont know, i just absorb subtitles without actually paying attention to them. i just read them subconsciously and pay attention to the dialogue, even though i dont understand a word. but its still more immersive than having bad voice acting

Aaron

Alphahawk said:
Depends on the voice acting. I didn't find the Japanese voice acting Shenmue II to be particularly good. Better than the English attempt sure, but still pretty lifeless and stilted.

But the subtitles on the duck are funniest thing this game has. :)

Alphahawk said:

you're just not used to it. once you have watched a few movies that way or read lots of books, you'll stop noticing subtitles and everything will be natural.

Backflip

That Izumi fight is pretty hard to win. But catching the duck isn't a walk in the park either. You need to catch a certain number of leaves (from that red tree behind Man Mo Temple) at the same time.

I remember my friends telling me, back when Shenmue 2 first came out, how easy it was to win money from duck races but I never could figure out how to enter.

These GIFs are just bizarre.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
damn, I want to play this now. Will my VMUs still have any data on them - were they persistent storage or did they rely on the batteries?

Guys you just don't get it.

This is a huge thing for the animal kingdom to get badass representation in a game. I feel ya brother Chinner. It's hard being an animal in mans world.

Best monkey's seem to get is background distractions.

A really cool thing to do in S2 is to look at a street sign and talk to some one at the same time, the game bugs out and you can ghost walk past loading points.

Aaron

mrklaw said:
damn, I want to play this now. Will my VMUs still have any data on them - were they persistent storage or did they rely on the batteries?
Batteries were only for the screen. The data is fine.

mrklaw said:

Your game's save data is fine. The battery is for playing minigames on the VMU when not plugged in to a Dreamcast controller. The battery on my official Sega VMU has been dead for close to a decade but it still remembers all my save data.

Top Bottom