• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue III E3 2019 | 24-minutes gameplay

GenericUser

The people who didn't like the slow pickup animations in rdr2 will probably not like this as well. Everything you do seems to happen in slo-mo. I like it, it forces you to relax. Glad this game exists.

Teslerum

I can't friggin' wait for this. For those who don't understand the hype, you really need to play the originals to understand, It has a gripping story and while the game was never a technical masterpiece, it was wonderous game that, at the time, was humongous and did things very little to now one has done in a game.

If you still can't get into it, it's okay. No one is telling you to buy or it anything. This is more for the fans. I personally cannot wait to see where Ryu goes from Shenmue II.

?

Of course it was at release. It was lavishly praised as well. Especially the animations and texture work.

From a review back in the day

The first thing that will strike anyone about Shenmue, unsurprisingly enough, is the graphical splendour of the game. A short intro features a young girl standing on top of a cliff delivering a monologue, while the camera swings and pans around her, following the flight of a beautifully detailed bird of prey before zooming in dramatically to a close-up of her flawless face. This scene alone outshines the quality of anything seen to date from a console game, coming startlingly close to the standard of FMV seen in the likes of Final Fantasy VIII, and this standard of graphics is perpetuated throughout the entire game. If you gasped when you first came across Hyrule Field in Zelda 64, Shenmue will have you doing a convincing impression of a fish out of water for most of the time spent playing it; from countryside roads to bustling towns, villages and dockyards, the game constantly astounds the player with both its depth of vision and of detail at once.

Perhaps more impressive than the environments are the characters themselves. Central characters such as Ryo himself are modelled with painstaking care, right down to having moving eyeballs, eyelids and lips – meaning that scripted scenes can use a whole range of facial expressions and movements. Many of the scripted scenes, fight sequences in particular, are very impressively animated, and extensive use is made of motion blur and slow-motion to create martial arts effects which wouldn’t look out of place in a good kung-fu film. However, the animation of the characters outside of the scripted scenes can be disappointing – Ryo himself seems to shuffle about like someone with a gammy leg much of the time, and other characters can seem very stiff in their movements, which does let down the otherwise unprecedented graphical look and feel of the game world.

Last edited:

Kazza

The French site jeuxvideo.com is absolutely crapping all over the game in its preview: http://www.jeuxvideo.com/preview/10...jouable-qui-fait-craindre-le-pire-e3-2019.htm

They call it a disaster with lifeless character models, outdated tech (struggling to reach 720p & with a very low draw distance) & "catastrophic" animations. They say it's "alarming" in its current state.

While it's good to get some impressions from non-hardcore fans, there are some sketchy things abut that article. Firstly, they seem to be using the (bad looking) Ryo model from the initial E3 reveal from back in 2016. I'm not sure why they would do that while so many newer alternative shots are available (such as those used elsewhere in the article).

The animations, basic wish, do not honor the character of Ryo. He who was once so elegant, so charismatic, is only a shadow of himself. Cadaverous rigidity, empty and inexpressive gaze, the hero of a whole generation is hard to see. He is not just inexpressive: he is just not alive.

Ryo charismastic? Elegant? Even huge fans of the series would admit that Ryo has never exactly been the most charismatic of fellows. He's basically a stiff, socially awkward and naive teenager, who is living through the trauma of seeing his father murdered. That's part of the charm for sure, but definitely in no way charismatic! It could even get a little grating, if not for the fact that the game also includes truly larger than life characters such as hot dog Tom and Goro in the first game, and Joy and Ren in the second.

The few mini-games we tried were quite amusing, but the exploration and dialogue phases are completely ruined by the catastrophic animations of Ryo and a good part of the NPCs

Having seen the demo myself, in what way are the animations "catastrophic"? (maybe a bad translation from the original French) Not up to recent AAA standards, ok fine, but why the hyperbole?

The camera moves behind Ryo and the player finally takes control, to discover a decor that is quite successful on the artistic level, but completely out of time technically. The whole is fuzzy and glittering; in many ways, the recent remasters of Shenmue I and II are more impressive. This is due to the ridiculous display distance and the resolution of the game, which seems to struggle to reach the bar of 720p.

Struggling to hold 720p? Were they paying on a not-yet-announced Switch version or something? Apparently, John from DF has played the demo and will be giving his impressions soon. He'llbe the person to listen to regarding the technical performance.

I hope impressions like this aren't the result of salt spillover from the whole Epic Games Store fiasco.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Everything moves very stiffly, i think the lighting is off. Still early days yet. Looks like a shenmue game though

Klart

You mean like a 20 year old game?
Says the man with a 30 year old avatar.
406336.jpg

Last edited:

Paracelsus

This needs ENB to strongly saturate everything like the original, graphically it may be fine but chromatically it looks so dull.

I'm satisfied with the fact that I know I'll enjoy the game immensely. I don't expect this to review crazy well. I don't expect it will pull in too many new fans. There are obviously aspects to the visuals that could stand some more polish. Yu said that he still has things he wants to polish up before release during the Gamespot E3 live demo. Also the IGN writeup and Easy Allies impressions indicate that this gameplay footage is already out of date and the actual E3 build looks better.

How much can they really do in the remaining 5 months? I'm eager to find out but I'm not expecting the moon.

The most important aspects of Shenmue's tone and aesthetic seem to be captured faithfully. I want that crazy hybrid of open world, life sim, narrative adventure and fighting game. The music, the detail, the total reverence for martial arts and most of all the continuation of Ryo's story. I don't care if I have to endure a few rough edges along the way.

20 Years ago there was nothing like Shenmue and there still isn't anything like it. Now, after a long ass wait, I finally get to play some more and I'm really happy about that.

Thabass

What the hell are you talking about? That's part of the reason the game was so impressive at the time. It WAS a technical masterpiece.

As I said above, the amount of detail and world building and graphics was definitely a technical wonder for sure. But, what I mean by technical masterpiece goes beyond the tech. The controls for the game were AWFUL and the combat could be clunky too.

Enjay

Banned
We got spoiled a lot this gen to the point we see Shenmue 3 visuals as “terrible”

I think it looks alright for a kickstarter game + just continue the story for the love of god

I waited tooooo long
It should be looking way more impressive next time we see it after the epic moneyhat.

The Snake

?

Of course it was at release. It was lavishly praised as well. Especially the animations and texture work.

From a review back in the day

It's very important for us to remember, or learn what Shenmue was like when it released. Whether or not you think it's "slow" or "boring" is unimportant compared to the amazing things that game pulled off. It really felt like turning on your Dreamcast was opening up a portal to another world. It all felt so alive. To give some perspective, Resident Evil 3 and Final Fantasy VIII released the same year, and are of course considered classics and some of the best of the PlayStation.

All that aside, I think he was speaking more in terms of the gameplay and controls.

Regardless of the fuckery with the Kickstarter, I'm super fucking stoked to play the game. I'm glad I ended up backing for a PS4 copy as well...

Well I personally couldn't care less about Shenmue 3 on Epic store but Yu's latest statement that part 3 is not a conclusion to the saga but just another part...and he needs at least Shenmue 6 in order to tell the whole story...well it kinda rubbed me the wrong way because what is the point then? Shenmue 3 will be bought by HC fans mainly, it will not sell well enough to warrant a sequel, let alone 3 of them for the full story saga.

I think everyone just wanted a solid closure to the first two games. At least based on this I feel like Yu just got a hard on once money started pouring in for free and thought "hey, let me try to make another over ambitious project i have no money to finish." So in the end you are getting a single part that still wont round up any story, it will just stay a title who's full story was never told till the end. Maybe in 2090 they might finish the rest.

20 Years ago there was nothing like Shenmue and there still isn't anything like it. Now, after a long ass wait, I finally get to play some more and I'm really happy about that.

Erm Yakuza took that crown and ran with it for over a decade. I like the Shenmue franchise just as any other fan out there but to say there has been nothing like it since...Yakuza games took the formula and made it better in every single way. The amount of stuff you can do in a Yakuza game, senseless games, karaoke, drinking etc...Shenmue invented that but even part 3 is running way behind anything a Yakuza game did over 5 years ago.

ruvikx

Banned
What are you expecting? GTA levels of budget?

There's a huge spectrum between GTA 5-esque open world & what we're seeing in the previews Shenmue III. Sleeping Dogs for example was one of my own personal favorite open world titles last gen. Was it lower budget than GTA? Sure, but it had everything I enjoy in an open world title & was (IMO) more fun to play than GTA. Hong Kong looked great as well + it had mini games etc.

Shenmue III though is a weird one especially for someone like myself who never played the originals (I never had a Dreamcast & have no intention of trudging through the PS4 version). It's one of the only games in recent history which is defended by "fans" for stuff (graphics, animations, chunkiness) which other games get totally roasted for.

I've seen & heard a lot of (I'll paraphrase) comments like "It feels & looks like Shenmue!". Yeah, and? For normies like myself who just care about how a game looks & plays in 2019 relative to other titles which might merit my money, I'm just going to shrug & say I'm unconvinced.

Erm Yakuza took that crown and ran with it for over a decade. I like the Shenmue franchise just as any other fan out there but to say there has been nothing like it since...Yakuza games took the formula and made it better in every single way. The amount of stuff you can do in a Yakuza game, senseless games, karaoke, drinking etc...Shenmue invented that but even part 3 is running way behind anything a Yakuza game did over 5 years ago.

Nah. Yakuza and Shenmue share superficial similarities but are severely dissimilar. Yakuza is structured much more like a traditional action rpg.

It’s good that it plays and feels like Shenmue. I am beyond hyped for the game. I know it doesn’t look visually impressive, but that’s not what I want it for. I’ve been praying and begging for this game for nearly two decades. The fact that it is mere months away is making me get ants in my pants. I can’t handle the excitement. I know I am going to be happy with this.

Kazza

Footage of Shemue uber-fan Huber playing the Shenmue 3 demo (video set to play from the start of the Shenmue section, but it's worth waching from the beginning to watch Huber's wholesome enthusiasm for E3):

That moment when he realised Yu Suzuki himself was standing behind him watching him play :messenger_tears_of_joy: (actually, Huber handled it much more calmly than I expected)

A very positive reaction.

Breakage

Well they've certainly captured the clunkiness of the original games. Why does Ryo look younger? And why is his jacket the wrong shade of brown?

Kazza

Another Shenmue fan plays the demo, yet another positive review:
- beautiful graphics
- no loading screens
- improved controls (easier to move in tight spaces)
- voice acting "about what you would expect" - lol
- unconstrained movement around the environment
- combat plays very smoothly, like a more refined version of the one featured in the original Shenmue

The people who are fans who the original all seem very happy with this new game. It's pretty much just a modern version of Shenmue:

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Kazza

A more detailed impression from Huber:

Nothing new here (he still says the fighting maybe needs a little work, but that everything else is excellent), but Shenmue fans will appreciate his enthusiasm and passion.

Top Bottom