• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue III Kickstarter Q&A streaming on Twitch

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I get it, really. Suzuki clearly chose the wrong team and the KS is by far the worst I ever backed (among the successful ones), but you know, it's still Shenmue 3. The game will be made by the right people.

Edit: Also, Yu has 2 years to fire their asses and hire a competent company to handle the KS rewards.

The fan community really is doing all the work and then some, Awesome Japan should be fucking thankful.

I know ;.;

Running the kickstarter campaign, and communicating whatever important information is paramount as your product depends on those pledges. And yet here we are and some still believe Sony are contributing to the budget - disaster.

I'll most likely chip-in again, but not now. Hoping they right this ship.

Vamphuntr

sorry about the allcaps but:

AWESOME JAPAN ARE ONLY RUNNING THE KICKSTARTER AND ARE NOT INVOLVED IN DEVELOPMENT, YOUR MONEY IS SAFE WITH YU AND YS.NET

chill out. we got some funny gifs, some new and interesting information, and nearly another 30k pledged.

How many games with a 10 millions + budget has he made or his YS.NET made on modern engines like UE4?

Indeed, but it is hard to imagine that anyone involved can feel things like this chat were a success.

One more thing I'll add. I apologise to AJ in advance if the insinuation offends you.

When your client isn't natively able to understand English, may not be in-touch with the criticisms leveled towards the project from an English-speaking community perspective, among other things...

It's easy for the marketing front to "lie" about shit.

Pyrrhus

One more thing I'll add. I apologise to AJ in advance if the insinuation offends you.

When your client isn't natively able to understand English, may not be in-touch with the criticisms leveled towards the project from an English-speaking community perspective, among other things...

Yes, this is what I was alluding to before. If there is a way to directly contact Mr. Suzuki in Japanese and let him know how this was received, it would probably be for the best if somebody would do it.

Erevador

Good points.

If anyone at Sony is paying any attention to this I HAVE to believe that someone is calling Yu up and telling him this is a problem.

Also, AJ deserve no apologies. They're totally out of their depth.

Kelsdesu

RoiVIXi.png

Man... Shouldve just asked for 6 million from the beginning.

Needs to be repeated for all these drama queens out there.

I was pissed initially then I realized it has no impact on the actual development of Shenmue. Yu know's what he's doing. He's got this.

Considering they'll be handling the rewards, I'd say there's plenty of room for concern. I have faith in Ys Net, but not his KS team.

Spaghetti

How many games with a 10 millions + budget has he made or his YS.NET made on modern engines like UE4?
he's a 30 year vet. come on. he's not some podunk dev out of buttfuck nowhere who makes flash games.

the fact they're using UE4 already shows they're making the right development decisions with their engine. if he was totally out of touch with game development he'd be trying to get a brand new toolset made like they did for all those years at sega.

I can't believe people are freaking out over how the Kickstarter is being handled. Do you want Shenmue 3 or not? This is your chance, put your money where your mouth is. There is plenty of info on what Shenmue 3 will be.The strange interview that just happened on Twitch is not a big deal. It doesn't reflect anything other than a weird guy acting weird and Suzuki acting totally cool. We got great info. I cannot understand this doom and gloom attitude of some people.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
see above. in 20 days these guys are gone. yu suzuki was in control the whole stream. the spotty translation might not have been too clear, but there was no hesitation in what he was saying. he knows what he wants to do, and he knows how to do it.

These 20 days are arguably the most important in the entire project. They decide whether the game gets 5 million or 10 million dollars. After waiting over a decade for a sequel, it is infuriating that the most important part of the project is in the hand of some incompetent goofballs. We all know that the actual game is in good hands, but that is not the point at all. We have a unique opportunity here, and such incompetence at this early and crucial stage is just painful.

This has definitely the potential to hurt the project. Obviously not in the sense that the game itself is in danger, it already has enough funding. But such 'marketing' has significant potential to compromise the project's budget.

Erevador

Yes, this is what I was alluding to before. If there is a way to directly contact Mr. Suzuki in Japanese and let him know how this was received, it would probably be for the best if somebody would do it.
Perhaps Japan GAF should tweet at Yu Suzuki and (politely!) inquire if he might get Fangamer (or other western professionals) more involved in the Kickstarter going forward? He seems to read a lot of tweets and re-tweet stuff, so he may see it.

Crocodile

Man... Shouldve just asked for 6 million from the beginning.

Any half-decently managed Kickstater accounts for the money lost to fees, taxes, rewards, etc. in their budget and goals. I'd assume Suzuki and crew did the same. Also, though the breakdown is pretty simple ("Game Development" is a bit vague), I'm glad they've added a breakdown at all. The Bloodstained KS didn't and I wasn't a fan of that.

Spaghetti

These 20 days are arguably the most important in the entire project. They decide whether the game gets 5 million or 10 million dollars. After waiting over a decade for a sequel, it is infuriating that the most important part of the project is in the hand of some incompetent goofballs. We all know that the actual game is in good hands, but that is not the point at all. We have a unique opportunity here, and such incompetence at this early and crucial stage is just painful.

This has definitely the potential to hurt the project. Obviously not in the sense that the game itself is in danger, it already has enough funding. But such 'marketing' has significant potential to compromise the project's budget.
i know awesome japan are bad for the project, but casting pessimistic doubt about the whole thing is likely to do just as much damage.

overplaying their role in the game will become the next "omg sony are shady"

master15

I will be playing with Japanese language option but anyone excited Cory Marshall looks like he will be asked to come back?

Hynad

Banned
Yu Suzuki definitely should fire AJ and look into more professional teams like Fangamer, who handled the Bloodstained KS.

lemmykoopa

I didn't watch the stream but I'm baffled at all the whining regarding the kickstarter here jeez. In one week we've received 16 update emails, an AMA on reddit and now a livrstream. What the fuck do you people want them to do more?

Also the people who are updating the kickstarter and stuff are not involved with the development of the game at all, it's all Yu and his team.

Bashtee

Highly unlikely. In fact watching this made me wish Sony really were more involved, since they would have the marketing know-how to avoid this kind of silliness.

*GASP* maybe they hired them in order to distract all of us from Sonys involvement?!

master15

Any native Japanese speakers translate the section about the 5 million stretch goal (technique scrolls).

Suzuki mentions it in the initial promo video but I still didn't understand the concept.

mattp

so, they made another 20 or 30k tonight
great. but, how much of that is new pledgers and how much is just hardcore fans upper their pledges for those new reward tiers?
i think getting new pledgers is more important.

Vamphuntr

he's a 30 year vet. come on. he's not some podunk dev out of buttfuck nowhere who makes flash games.

the fact they're using UE4 already shows they're making the right development decisions with their engine. if he was totally out of touch with game development he'd be trying to get a brand new toolset made like they did for all those years at sega.

That's kinda harsh considering his last game projects were basically phone games. My point is that you type ALL CAPS THERE IS NO RISK GUYS!!!11 but compared to the games I backed it feels this one is a bit more risky. I backed MN9 and Bloodstained because I trusted Inti Creates could ship a game since they had made similar games recently. IGA was also used to work with tight budget too and you could say Inafune knew the price and expenses associated with development. Pillars of Eternity was handled by Obsidian who knew how to make RPGs since they worked on many. I'm not even sure of this YS.net track record outside of the few stuff mentioned on their kickstarter page.

I find it to be fairly poor form to ask for millions of dollars and do such a poor job with this stream and the Kickstarter. 8-4 and Fan Gamers were much more professional than these idiots and it encouraged people to donate. He might be a 30 years veteran but tonight it showed he was a bit out of touch with marketing, streaming and kickstarter.

RIP Shenmue III 2015-2015

Pretty much :/

I would love to see it happen but it's too late already, the bloods already in the water. FUD journalists ruined it for everyone :(

Hell earlier I was thinking how the heck they could even afford voice acting on the scale of a Shenmue title. There's literally dozens upon dozens of NPCs in Shenmue games that are voiced with tons of dialogue. I doubt they could afford VA of that scale in english, let alone multiple languages in that scale of a game.

master15

Anyone fascinated by this answer?

: "With the area Baisha, we want to include new fun not included in Shenmue 2. Traditional tactics such as seige and infiltration that we see in warring kingdoms in traditional China are also added. But I want to make it Shenmue-like, easy to grasp, easy to play, and provide more fun.

Not sure if it is a literal translation but it may tie into some larger stretch goals listed.

From the podcast that was linked:

- Awesome Japan has "helped" 13 kickstarters prior to this (in a span of 11 months), only 7 were successful
- Only 1 videogame kickstarter ,Soul Knights (ex Nippon Ichi staff), barely met the goal of $60k with only 246 backers
- only 1550 backers and $170k for all their campaigns combined so far
- they had no native english speaker before this kickstarter apparently. All of their previous campaigns had significant spelling and translation mistakes

how did this happen

AAK

After today, there really is no hope for getting passed 6 million. This was their chance to shine.

Bloodstained really showed how you can maximize KS for all its glory. They are putting probably a quarter of the effort BS did. At this point Ys net should have probably hired some die hard fans to take care of the KS, they would have done the best job.

MilkBeard

Lol that stream was funny, in a very unusual way.

However, the money has come in. I think if they take note of what happened, the good and bad, and continue to improve and do more events like this then we can see some more spikes down the road.

However, I hope they put a leash on the mutton chops guy. Or at least figure out a way to use his ridiculousness.

Mikey Jr.

- Awesome Japan has "helped" 13 kickstarters prior to this (in a span of 11 months), only 7 were successful
- Only 1 videogame kickstarter ,Soul Knights (ex Nippon Ichi staff), barely met the goal of $60k with only 246 backers
- they had no native english speaker before this kickstarter apparently. All of their previous campaigns had significant spelling and translation mistakes

how did this happen

Like the old adage says, you get what you pay for.

IrishNinja

It's too late for that, the entire campaign has been poisoned, there's no changing anybodies mind about the game now. :_:

no chicken little'ing, especially when we're back up!

Pretty much my thought throughout the entire broadcast...

2sOw7GL.jpg

well yeah, this was undeniable

ok what i got from this
- They are seriously thinking about getting us a physical PS4 release and tell us just to be patient.
- Paypal is being considered, will probably be implemented later
- You get to take on the 4 Chiyoumen bosses
- Skill Tree System is for building up martial arts abilities (linked to scrolls).
- Character Perspective System lets you play as Shenhua and Ren in Baisha.
- Shenmue 3 wont finish the story, which i'm actually happy with, i dont want Yu to rush this even if we are put on a cliffhanger for another 14 years,
really hoping Shenmue 3 is successfull

is there any other stuff i'm missing

This is very helpful. If there was any additional info disclosed, can it be added to the OP?

good post, consider it done!

...this too, haha

Exactly.

They got +30K out of this lame-ass stream. Now imagine if we had a professionnal stream, more updates, and the right rewards. This community will get excited over anything related to this game. This situation would be a dream come true to anyone managing a KS.

We could end up with $8-10 Millions with a competent team. The way this is going, $6 Millios is the best we can hope for.

Buzzati

Banned
After today, there really is no hope for getting passed 6 million. This was their chance to shine.

Bloodstained really showed how you can maximize KS for all its glory. They are putting probably a quarter of the effort BS did. At this point Ys net should have probably hired some die hard fans to take care of the KS, they would have done the best job.

Crowd source the crowdsourcing? It almost makes too much sense.

MilkBeard

how did this happen

I'm also wondering. Is it because Yu Suzuki knew someone from Awesome Japan and they decided to do it for cheap? Who knows.

Erevador

how did this happen
Ouch even worse then I feared. Awesome Japan needs to go.

IrishNinja

how did this happen

...yikes
this can't just be about japanese business, someone's gotta be someone's cousin here

master15

So to update my code post from earlier on in the thread:

Code:
VINTAGE GRAB BAG 1K TIER - 31 BACKERS
VINTAGE GRAB BAG 2K TIER - 6 BACKERS
VINTAGE GRAB BAG 5K TIER - 2 BACKERS
RYO'S WATCH 5K TIER - 1 BACKER

FUNDING TOTAL: 58K

Almoat a 60K boost from just the new tiers alone. And now funding has shot past 3.7 million and is still rising. Awesome news.

You guys need to be positive.

Top Bottom