• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue III Kickstarter Q&A streaming on Twitch

I haven't followed kickstarter campaigns until Shenmue III so forgive my ignorance but when did the bloodstained KS end? People keep comparing Shenmue to this as the benchmark for all successful kickstarters but was this not completed fairly recently? I'm playing devil's advocate here but had anyone possibly thought YSNET had already made arrangements with Awesome Japan before the completion of bloodstained? How can one possibly think this team behind bloodstained is immediately for hire? I understand this is what all kickstarters should strive for in backer rewards and PR presence, but maybe this wasn't available at the time of getting everything ready for the KS announcement.

It would be pretty bad form to change KS agencies mid campaign and undoubtedly impossible sure to binding contracts yet many out there are crying for change. I don't think the KS organizer behind ShenmueIII will change but we can help it grow and improve from constructive criticism. This doesn't mean tuning someone into a meme and bitching about why x and y sucks about the company. Give realistic constructive criticism and input instead of going for the easy jab. Leave that to the detractors, they've already been doing a great job of it on their own...

It's easy to put all these bad vibes on one guy you saw in a twitch video, but is it really necessary to call for his head? At the very least he seems to have entertained you in a twisted kind of way.

Maybe I'm just getting old, only 34, but I'm lost on all this venom. I think I'll just go back to lurking if this negativity continues to surround this campaign.

MUnited83

For you.
They're already making physical PC copies, so some parts of that argument are moot.
When a digital PS4 version is $30 and a physical is $60, some of the extra money can go into production of the discs.

Since there are people who absolutely do not want digital only copies, getting $60 -production and distribution costs is surely better than getting $0?

PC physical copies are much cheaper to produce than PS4 physical copies.

PC copies are printed on DVDs, much cheaper than being printed on Blu-rays. And there's the issue of the cut to the platform holder when there's no such thing on PC.

Bl@de

fire that guy please...

But he is already legend. He reminds me of the english voices in Shenmue. Crappy, funny and legendary... And the kickstarter page/campaign is (slowly) improving. Lets just support and help them ... And not be angry at everything. Yu can think next time if he wants to hire them again.

I'm happy that they look into Paypal and a physical PS4 release. Also Yu wants a remaster, S1/2 voice actors, etc. - They want the same things like the fans. And that's good.

At least he didn't kill anyone. I wasn't so sure at this point.

URga5dG.gif

That's the face of a man who's unsure as to whether he's about to give a cavity search or be on the receiving end of one.

PC physical copies are much cheaper to produce than PS4 physical copies.

PC copies are printed on DVDs, much cheaper than being printed on Blu-rays. And there's the issue of the cut to the platform holder when there's no such thing on PC.

I know that it's not the same and is more expensive. Doesn't really affect my argument though.

The guy is not an issue. People should leave him alone. Yes, he over exaggerated here and there but all was good.
Agreed. He's not the problem. We need to refrain from going for the most visible targets.

His meme-ification should be enough embarrassment as it already stands.

ranmafan

I haven't followed kickstarter campaigns until Shenmue III so forgive my ignorance but when did the bloodstained KS end? People keep comparing Shenmue to this as the benchmark for all successful kickstarters but was this not completed fairly recently? I'm playing devil's advocate here but had anyone possibly thought YSNET had already made arrangements with Awesome Japan before the completion of bloodstained? How can one possibly think this team behind bloodstained is immediately for hire? I understand this is what all kickstarters should strive for in backer rewards and PR presence, but maybe this wasn't available at the time of getting everything ready for the KS announcement.

It would be pretty bad form to change KS agencies mid campaign and undoubtedly impossible sure to binding contracts yet many out there are crying for change. I don't think the KS organizer behind ShenmueIII will change but we can help it grow and improve from constructive criticism. This doesn't mean tuning someone into a meme and bitching about why x and y sucks about the company. Give realistic constructive criticism and input instead of going for the easy jab. Leave that to the detractors, they've already been doing a great job of it on their own...

It's easy to put all these bad vibes on one guy you saw in a twitch video, but is it really necessary to call for his head? At the very least he seems to have entertained you in a twisted kind of way.

Maybe I'm just getting old, only 34, but I'm lost on all this venom. I think I'll just go back to lurking if this negativity continues to surround this campaign.

Bloodstained's campaign ended only just a few days before the Shenmue announcement. I think you are right about Shenmue's campaign was probably already being arranged before Bloodstained's one was completed. Bloodstained is a great example of what makes an amazing Kickstarter but Ive seen many other games have kickstarter campaigns with no where near the flash and spectacle and do fine. Yeah it would be great if the Shenmue campaign can pick up on some of their ideas and incorporate them for sure, but it takes time I bet to get some of these things done.

But yeah the negativity and all is getting tiring for many of us.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Nerves got the better of him I think! Fair enough - the questions he picked from the chat were the right ones, and we got answers.

stn

It won't finish the story? That sucks. If the game doesn't meet expectations then we'll have yet another cliffhanger. As much as I love Shenmue, it needs to end with 3.

Trojan X

Banned
It won't finish the story? That sucks. If the game doesn't meet expectations then we'll have yet another cliffhanger. As much as I love Shenmue, it needs to end with 3.

You will change your tune when you finally play Shenmue 3 and crave for more.

Bloodstained's campaign ended only just a few days before the Shenmue announcement. I think you are right about Shenmue's campaign was probably already being arranged before Bloodstained's one was completed. Bloodstained is a great example of what makes an amazing Kickstarter but Ive seen many other games have kickstarter campaigns with no where near the flash and spectacle and do fine. Yeah it would be great if the Shenmue campaign can pick up on some of their ideas and incorporate them for sure, but it takes time I bet to get some of these things done.

But yeah the negativity and all is getting tiring for many of us.
Thanks for the clarification. Honestly, I'm not even sure the bloodstained crew could help Shenmue III grow at a much faster rate. I think the lion's share of funding will come from hungry fans like myself. This game is not being made to appeal to newcomers although their help and interest is needed and much appreciated.

May Sega have a shred of business sense to allow an HD port or remaster of I and II be released before ShenmueIII is made, they're missing out on easy money there as long as they can figure out how to best remove copyright confusions. I'd love to see a Shenmue 4, and I'm kind of confident we'll see one if another kickstarter were created as the fans would love to see their beloved franchise out till the end of the story as it was originally intended.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
So what do you think the chances are of Sega cashing in on the current hype and releasing the Shenmue 1/2/ HD Collection that was rumored forever last gen?

So what do you think the chances are of Sega cashing in on the current hype and releasing the Shenmue 1/2/ HD Collection that was rumored forever last gen?
As a life long Sega fan, slim to none. The more years that pass the less obvious business decisions they make. I hope I'm wrong but I've learned the hard way to keep my expectations low when concerning modern Sega. It makes me very sad just to think about it.

ranmafan

If Sega didn't start seriously considering it after the excitement of the announcement and the first day of Shenmue III's Kickstarter, I would be shocked. It certainly would do well Im sure and people are certainly asking for it. Hopefully we hear something about it the future. But its Sega, and they don't always do what we want these days sadly.

Spaghetti

cross post from the main shenmue 3 thread:

switch on shenmue dojo translated suzuki's comments directly. i'll post them here and highlight the interesting parts.

Q: What is Sony’s involvement with Shenmue III?
YS: Sony is providing us with support in various ways including marketing, funding and promotion, and they’re our most important partner; they’re also our largest and most valued backer.

We plan to invest all the money collected from everyone through Kickstarter on development, excepting the Kickstarter fees and costs for the rewards. No portion of the collected money will flow to Shibuya Productions or Sony.

Q: PS4 physical reward?
YS: This is one of the most requested rewards, and it’s the reward I most want to make happen. Um... Please be patient!

Q: How will Kickstarter funds be spent?
YS: Please take a look at this pie chart which I’ve prepared.
[Fees: 8 - 10%, Game development: 65 to 72%, Backer rewards: 20 - 25%]

Q: Ryo’s appearance...
YS: We’ve had a lot of comments about how Ryo’s face looks, but we’ve just got started and so it is still under development. Personally, I’m not satisfied at all either, and so even now we’re continuing to improve it. Today I’ve brought a slightly improved version to show you – it’s not the final version, and we’ll be improving it even further, but I wanted to show you it.

For comparison, we’ve included two shots of Ryo from Shenmue II.

The one at the front is the slightly improved version for Shenmue III. Again, I’m not completely happy with this Ryo – the shape of his mouth is not quite right – and I’d like to make further refinements.

As well as the shape of his face, his facial expressions and his actions also add to his personality and his attractiveness. So going forward I’d like to work on facial expressions and movements in making an attractive Ryo.

Q: Will the original voice actors reprise their roles?
YS: I auditioned Masaya Matsukaze and Corey Marshall for Shenmue I & II, and I believe their voices are perfect for Ryo’s voice. So I’d definitely like to have them reprise the role again this time. We’re currently in negotiations and I’m sure they will both be happy to do so, so please look forward to that.

Q: Can PayPal payment be added?
YS: I’m considering funding methods other than Kickstarter, including PayPal.

Q: Will a DRM-free version be made available?
YS: It’s something that is under consideration at the moment. However it’s not something Ys Net can decide by ourselves, and so discussions are taking place with various parties.

Q: Will HD versions of Shenmue I & II be released?
YS: I think that if Shenmue I and II could be released before Shenmue III, people would be able to understand the backstory and enjoy Shenmue III even more. And so I also personally strongly want this to happen, but as the rights are held by Sega I’m not really in a position to be able to comment. However I will also express to Sega that that I really would like for them to be produced.

Q: Details of new rewards?
YS: There has been feedback that there are not enough rewards, and so we have added additional rewards. We have prepared $1000, $2000 and $5000 grab bags. The bags will continue various items of Shenmue merchandise, and I think these will be quite exciting. And also at the $5000 level will the one-only prototype of the watch worn by Ryo in the Shenmue games. I have it here to show you... This is the Timex watch worn by Ryo, and it has the YS and Shenmue logos on it. It’s a very rare item.

Q: Details of the grab bags?
YS: It includes various things such as special figures of Ryo, watches... these watches are not quite as valuable as the one-of-a-kind one mentioned before; they’re more casual and they also have the Shenmue logo. Anyway, there are a variety of different items included.

Also, we have prepared some of the original art drawn by our main character designer, Miyawaki. These are quite valuable, and are a great reward I think.

In addition to the rewards we have added today, we will be continuing to add further ones in the future, so please look forward to them too.

Q: Tell us about the stretch goals up to $3.6m?
YS: Firstly, I’ll talk about the stretch goals up until around the $3.6m mark, which are the most basic goals. The stretch goals up to $3.6m will achieve a story-oriented Shenmue. As further goals are reached, the content for various areas will be correspondingly expanded, but even with the story-oriented version, the plot will develop to reach a confrontation with the 4 leaders {of the Chiyoumen}.

Also, game features like the Rapport system and the Skill Tree system will be included.

Q: Rapport system
YS: With the Rapport system, various data on your interactions with Shenhua will be tracked, such as her level of trust and rapport with you and so on, according to your actions toward her and the way your conversations progress. Later, this will affect how cooperative Shenhua is toward you, for example. I think we’ll be able to express a new and exciting angle to Shenmue that wasn’t present in the previous games.

Q: Skill Tree system
YS: In Shenmue 3, you will be able to obtain move scrolls {“technique scrolls”} in various places – for example, in shops, mini-games, part-time jobs, gambling, quest events. You’ll be able to make immediate use of move scrolls in battle QTEs – for example, once you get a new scroll, you’ll be able to use it straight away as a QTE appearing during a fight. Being able to use it as soon as you have collected it will make it easy and satisfying to use. I think it will be fun to have it appear and be used when fighting. Advanced moves and Arcane scrolls will be managed in a tree structure; these will not become immediately available after obtaining them. Instead, a likeness can be drawn with learning of actual martial arts, where you build up to reach an advanced move through the accumulation of several moves; in a similar way, you will need to build up moves in the tree in order to reach the advanced moves, and I think filling the moves in the tree will be fun.

But you won’t have to build up to the advanced moves by actually participating in fighting (which can become tiresome); instead you just need to accumulate the necessary move scrolls to fill the tree.

Q: Stretch Goals up to $5m
YS: If the $5m mark is reached, we will focus on the area of Baisha There will be new types of play here which were not present in Shenmue I & II. Typical classical war strategies from the historical Three Kingdoms period of China, such as seiges and infiltration, will be incorporated.

Features such as “infiltration” may sound as if they will make the game too complicated, but they will be implemented in a way that is in keeping with the feel of the Shenmue games and will be easy to enjoy and engage with for anyone.

As another feature, I am planning a Character Perspective system. To put it simply, it is being able to change the character you play, but in Shenmue it will be done a little differently from other games that have this: in Baisha there will be an event where you will be able to change character in order to accomplish the mission. The player will be able to control not just the character of Ryo, but also other characters such as Shenhua and Ren; Ren has his own distinct personality, and Shenhua as a female has her own viewpoints and decisions; the choices will be different depending on the character you play. So it won’t simply be changing of character, but rather each character’s personality will be expressed and I think this will make for an enjoyable experience.

Q: Stretch Goals to $11m
YS: Currently further stretch goals have been announced through to $11m (such as the expanded battle system and so on), I’d like to leave it until next week to talk about these.

Q: Shenmue III at the Current Funding Level (around $3.6m at time of Twitch) vs $10 million
YS: At the current level of funding, as I mentioned earlier the game will be focused on the story. However once we reach $5 million we will be able to introduce aspects such as the Three Kingdoms “war strategies” mentioned earlier which will set it apart from the first two Shenmue games. This is actually the part I would most like to accomplish. If we can go above $10 million, the town of Choubu will be significantly enhanced. The town of Choubu has scenery that is somewhat like, for example, the Dobuita and Yokosuka areas of Shenmue I, and this will open up various options for amusement there. So, above $10 million, we will be able to include both game features that I would like to take on the challenge of including, as well as making the game “open-world like” with an even wider range of choices available.

Q: When is Shenmue III going to be reLEEEAASED?
YS: By the end of 2017.

Q: Will Shenmue III end the story?
YS: In terms of the 11 chapters that form the basis of the Shenmue story, we have only traversed a little way through these in Shenmue I and II. I did consider completing all the remaining chapters within the third game, but it would mean skipping a lot of the good parts and would not result in a satisfactory game. There were a lot of people who want to know the ending of the story, but in order to make the game as high quality as possible, the end of the story will not be reached in Shenmue III.

Q: Release Date of Demo Version
YS: Providing this at an early stage will be difficult because we need to develop various systems and the game to a certain extent first. It is likely not to be until the latter half of the development period.

I think it won’t be until 2017.

Q: Final Comment
YS: I always love doing new things and taking on new challenges, and so I would like to aim for the goal of $10 million in order to produce a Shenmue that is both the one I want to create, and one which everyone wants. I really hope to somehow bring it to reality, and so I would like to ask for everyone’s continued efforts and cooperation. Thank you.

Trojan X

Banned

switch on shenmue dojo translated suzuki's comments directly. i'll post them here and highlight the interesting parts.

Excellent! There is some good info in there for sure and need to be on the KS page. Since we don't have control of that we should put it in the OP on our main Shenmue thread.

Q: Will Shenmue III end the story?
YS: In terms of the 11 chapters that form the basis of the Shenmue story, we have only traversed a little way through these in Shenmue I and II. I did consider completing all the remaining chapters within the third game, but it would mean skipping a lot of the good parts and would not result in a satisfactory game. There were a lot of people who want to know the ending of the story, but in order to make the game as high quality as possible, the end of the story will not be reached in Shenmue III.

This is actually good.

I don't think that anyone here wants rushed shit.

This is actually good.

I don't think that anyone here wants rushed shit.

Agreed. Some people think he should end the saga while he has the chance, but that would just result in a lesser product. I'd rather Suzuki adhere to his vision and pace the chapters the way he originally intended, at the risk of maybe waiting another 14 years for Shenmue 4 to happen.

Thank you for this breakdown. I don't have time to scrub through the video. I am intrigued by all the new info. I think I'll be bumping up to 100 on the 3rd but that's about as far as I can go as a family man. My hobbies play second fiddle to much more important things than my deepest desires. It hurts even more as I'm paid in yen.

J2 Cool

Red shirt guy acting like a weirdo was honestly a positive. It's going to draw in more attention from a new audience since all the Shenmue fans are already locked in. Start spreading the gifs of him around people!

Need a tumblr set of gifs of this whole guy's Wayne Campbell performance.

wmlk

OK, this thread is all but dead, but can we get the Dojo's QA translations in the OP, please? High McDavid was bad, but Translator-san was equally as bad.

Aki-at

Chances are pretty good.

Valkyria Chronicles PC port just sold 150k more over the Steam summer sales, 3DS remakes are doing well, overall consumer teams are making a profit.

However they have shown to be extremely slow at getting things done. They're not as fast at reacting to the markets like they use to be but thanks to recent ports doing well for them I'm not going to be surprised if we see more about Shenmue 1/2 HD, especially if the rumour about them being done is true.

Theonik

Chances are pretty good.

Valkyria Chronicles PC port just sold 150k more over the Steam summer sales, 3DS remakes are doing well, overall consumer teams are making a profit.

However they have shown to be extremely slow at getting things done. They're not as fast at reacting to the markets like they use to be but thanks to recent ports doing well for them I'm not going to be surprised if we see more about Shenmue 1/2 HD, especially if the rumour about them being done is true.
Yu Suzuki said in the Q&A that he'd try and nudge them to get them done. He still has good relations with the company and holds an advisory chair there. With how successful the Kickstarter has been he will probably succeed.

wmlk

Yu Suzuki said in the Q&A that he'd try and nudge them to get them done. He still has good relations with the company and holds an advisory chair there. With how successful the Kickstarter has been he will probably succeed.

Are there copyright issues with the brand names in the two games? I was always wary about those.

openrob

Are there copyright issues with the brand names in the two games? I was always wary about those.

I think there was some copyright issue with some engine technology that was owned by a company that went bust.

Although I never got a source for this info. I just hear it a lot.

Spaghetti

you could say he's

going through nagoshiations

Once they announce the availability of a physical PS4 copy, I'll upgrade my pledge without hesitation. I'm already getting screwed out of a physical Yakuza 5 North America release.

Once they announce the availability of a physical PS4 copy, I'll upgrade my pledge without hesitation. I'm already getting screwed out of a physical Yakuza 5 North America release.

You should take it up with Sony. Since they're funding the port, it's only natural they go the extra mile if demand shows. Yu Suzuki needs all the funding he can get and I'd rather the money and time not leak out to deal with Playstation disc licensing and all that.

Top Bottom