• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue III PC ver. available to pre-order via Slacker Backer site on December 15th

Spaghetti

As the title says, this is a Slacker Backer pre-order, not a regular game pre-order. You can pledge via PayPal for copies of the game and selected Kickstarter rewards, as fans requested this payment option during the initial Kickstarter.

The Slacker Backer site opened in September 2015, but only offered the PS4 version. Fans requested the PC version be added to the Slacker Backer site, and they are making good on that promise.

http://gematsu.com/2016/12/shenmue-iii-pc-pre-orders-begin-december-15#Krf2JhQBjTWySEE7.99

Via Famitsu through Gematsu.

“Development is entering the final stage headed towards full-scale production. Early in the new year, I think we’ll be able to show you things such as new videos.

“We will continue progressing with development so that our backers and those who experience the world of Shenmue for the first time can do so with pleasure.

“Also, at noon on December 15, we will start pre-order sales for the PC version of Shenmue III, which received a lot of requests.

Those interested in Shenmue III, please check the official website.”

You can currently pre-order/back the game on PS4 via the Slacker Backer site.

EDIT:

Regarding the "full-scale production" comment, take a look at their workflow chart released last year:

dHSKPi2.png

While this is likely a shortened and simplified version of what will actually happen in development, it is effectively the final hurdle before debugging begins after they have spent a year working on their prototype.

EDIT 2:

Further clarification on what "final stage of development" means from Ryan Payton, who is working on the game in an advisory/production capacity. It is the final hurdle before debug, but this does not mean the game is imminent or near-complete.

coJMK7l.jpg

Pachimari

So I backed the Kickstarter and secured myself a digital PC version I think. Is there any way I can change my backer to the physical one, or will I need to make a new pre-order?

Damn, seems like the game is coming along. Any bets on if it will make 2017?

It enters full production in the start of next year. I would bet on a 2018 release.

MilkBeard

So I backed the Kickstarter and secured myself a digital PC version I think. Is there any way I can change my backer to the physical one, or will I need to make a new pre-order?

Pretty sure if you go to the Kickstarter you can change that detail. At least, they had a survey that allowed you to change physical/digital PS4 version when they were able to add the physical.

EDIT: Yeah, I was a little confused about the wording for 'final stage entering full scale production.' 2018 seems likely.

Erevador

Nice to have the new Shenmue on a "forever platform." Coming out on this generation's leading console and on PC.

A far cry from the game's initial release on the tragically doomed Dreamcast.

I don't understand the significance of this? Wasn't the PC version already available to back via the kickstarter?
Yes, but there was no way to reserve a copy after the end of the Kickstarter. Now there is.

Spaghetti

Damn, seems like the game is coming along. Any bets on if it will make 2017?
Prevailing opinion is that it'll get pushed (because EVERYTHING gets pushed back these days), but you never know.

Might be worth holding out for Kickstarter add-ons, but then again, if you really want to there's nothing stopping you backing again and giving the digital code to a friend. I know I'll be backing again on December 15th.

Although what I'm wondering is if the game will be on Steam/GOG or if they plan to just sell it through their own site.
I'll need to dig up the quote, but I believe Producer Cedric Biscay said the plan is to put the game on Steam.

lawtowler

Entering full production early next year. I think means a 2018 release then, which I'm fine with. I don't mind how long it takes, make it great! We've waited a long time already, what's an extra 6-12 months?

Also gives SEGA more time to pull their finger out and get those Shenmue HD remakes made. I'd take Shenmue I & II HD in Q4 2017 and Shenmue 3 a year later.

Spaghetti

Clarification R.E full production. From the production pipeline slide released last year:

dHSKPi2.png

It's a simplified version of their full production pipeline, but they've spent the last year building their prototype and staffing up for 2017.

Just so nobody thinks they've been sat on their asses.

MilkBeard

Entering full production early next year. I think means a 2018 release then, which I'm fine with. I don't mind how long it takes, make it great! We've waited a long time already, what's an extra 6-12 months?

Also gives SEGA more time to pull their finger out and get those Shenmue HD remakes made. I'd take Shenmue I & II HD in Q4 2017 and Shenmue 3 a year later.

Yeah, if Sega was smart, they would release HD rereleases of Shenmue I & II in 2017 to capitalize on the ramping exposure for Shenmue III. It would be ideal, but this is Sega we are talking bout.

Spaghetti

I see there is no way of pre-ordering a physical PC version yet. Only digital.
There was no way to preorder the PC version period (outside the initial Kickstarter drive), but on December 15th the PC version will be available for pre-order in both digital and physical formats.

Charamiwa

Banned
I fully expect the game to be delayed to 2018, which I'm completely fine with. Though I do think they'd better announce it sooner rather than later. Bloodstained did it months ago and while it was a bit disappointing, they now have two years to plan the production without too much pressure.

Shenmue on PC is a dream come true. It's a garantee of a bright future for the franchise, since that platform never dies. Now all we need is Shenmue 1 & 2 HD.

_Ryo_

good news but the full production comment kind of confused me as I thought they'd be in full production since August?

Pensé

Neo Member
Would be really interesting to know WHY they waited so long. It smells like if there were PC-related charges that YSnet wanted to pay as little as possible. Now that new hot stuff (screenshots, videos) are ready to be unveiled, this is the right moment for everyone.

It might also be the opportunity to make the pledge extension finally available via Paypal.

Spaghetti

I wonder if the 15th will also be the date they'll reveal their new media they have promised for this year.
It's possible.

I was told the new update will be before Christmas by the SIII support team and go live within the space of two weeks (I asked the previous week, obviously), but I assumed that'd mean maybe the 22nd before they go on a Winter break (23rd is a public holiday in Japan).

The update and the PC Slacker Backer preorders could still go live at different times, however, so I hope nobody gets disappointed if the update doesn't go up on the 15th.

_Ryo_

See the chart I posted. They've spent this year building the prototype and staffing up for 2017.

Yes but my confusion is caused by the thought they'd said they'd already ended the prototyping stage a while ago and were ending full scale production then.

Spaghetti

Yes but my confusion is caused by the thought they'd said they'd already ended the prototyping stage a while ago and were starting full scale production then.
I don't remember hearing that, personally.

It does seem like they're on-course with their development plan, though. I know nobody actually expects this game to release on time (because really, not many do these days anyway), but I think we're going to be surprised at the progress since the last time we had a real look at the game.

Spaghetti

Can someone summarize game development milestones pls?

Full production is the longest stage of development isn't?
Not necessarily.

Shenmue III is being developed with the Agile workflow methodology whereas most games are created using Waterfall. Agile puts a lot of emphasis on test-driven development, which is why the game/technical designs are backloaded towards the end of production whereas with Waterfall that's kind of your starting point.

There's no telling how long the "full production" period will actually take, but a significant amount of work has already been done in the prototype phase and that shouldn't be forgotten. Yu and other team members have been practically living in the office to get the game made.

I got in the $100 tier during the kickstarter. It had my option as "a digital copy of the game for PC or PS4, or a physical copy for PC + A digital copy of the trial version for PC". They're going to send backer surveys to find out what we want at a later date, right (defo PC physical for me)?

Spaghetti

I got in the $100 tier during the kickstarter. It had my option as "a digital copy of the game for PC or PS4, or a physical copy for PC + A digital copy of the trial version for PC". They're going to send backer surveys to find out what we want at a later date, right (defo PC physical for me)?
Yeah, that's right. Surveys go out closer to release.

This reminds me, I gotta get money back in my Paypal account for my slacker backer purchase!

After watching the DF Retro videos on Shenmue I & II, my hype has been engaged again

Yup. The prior stages have been building out the prototype and what not. Essentially building the frame for the game.

Not necessarily.

Shenmue III is being developed with the Agile workflow methodology whereas most games are created using Waterfall. Agile puts a lot of emphasis on test-driven development, which is why the game/technical designs are backloaded towards the end of production whereas with Waterfall that's kind of your starting point.

There's no telling how long the "full production" period will actually take, but a significant amount of work has already been done in the prototype phase and that shouldn't be forgotten. Yu and other team members have been practically living in the office to get the game made.

Thanks.

Even If Agile workflow is extremely efficient, I think best case scenario is Shenmue III will be relesead in Q2 2018. Im not even mad

Spaghetti

This reminds me, I gotta get money back in my Paypal account for my slacker backer purchase!

After watching the DF Retro videos on Shenmue I & II, my hype has been engaged again
Hopefully your hype is engaged even further by this month's Kickstarter update when it drops within the next week and a half(ish)!

Hotly tipped there will be new screens, but judging from Yu's comments in the OP it seems like video may wait a little while.

Spaghetti

Thanks.

Even If Agile workflow is extremely efficient, I think best case scenario is Shenmue III will be relesead in Q2 2018. Im not even mad
Oh certainly, a delay would be the safe option but... y'know, it could actually be possible they get the game out and done when they said they would.

That'd be a bigger miracle than Shenmue III itself, but until we're told otherwise, it's a possibility.

jobrro

RgtBCwK.png

Maybe Shenmue HD is included

Would love this. Was eagerly awaiting Shenmue release on Dreamcast but for some reason I never got it, maybe after a few too many delays and the announcement of the death of the console.

Got Shenmue 2 on Xbox but haven't played it for a LONG time.

Backed Shenmue 3 and would really appreciate playing the first two legitimately before S3 release. Thought it would be out by now around the KS announcement, but if the game is still a while off I will hold out hope... at least until the S3 release date is announced.

Bioshocker

I always expected this to be a 2018 release, so this is not surprising at all. Having waited this long I'd rather wait one year extra to get the best experience possible.

fast_taker

so, they managed to raise about 6.5 million $ at kickstarter and now pre-orders are available for a game that might launch a year later!
It seems that Shenmue 3 is quite a cash cow for Yu.
Hopefully the 3rd installment will be as great as the first two were!

Spaghetti

so, they managed to raise about 6.5 million $ at kickstarter and now pre-orders are available for a game that might launch a year later!
It seems that Shenmue 3 is quite a cash cow for Yu.
Hopefully the 3rd installment will be as great as the first two were!
The Slacker Backer site was opened because of fans who wanted to contribute to the game via PayPal.

It was one of the biggest requests during the Kickstarter, and is completely the same to other Slacker Backer methods of contributing to the game.

Not necessarily.

Agile also means I spend about 25 % of my time in planning meetings.

Pensé

Neo Member
This seems like a very risky project to preorder. Why not wait until release at this point?

Not risky at all for me as the original Shenmue leading staff is there (Suzuki, Okayasu, Hirai, Takeuchi, Takimoto, Miyawaki, Iuchi and Yoshimoto)

They promised to use the pre-order funds to improve the game.

These headlines... They still feel unreal... Shenmue III is happening. It's being made. You can pre-order it in a few days. Beautiful.

Top Bottom