• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue III Presentation - Magic Monaco - Feb 27th 9:25AM CET - New screens + video

ajim

I....I think it's the wonderful music that does it for me. It's so nice. ;_;
Mate I'm telling you, the Shenmue music has a place in my heart like no other and when I hear it it just fills me with all these varying emotions. It's stupidly beautiful and amazing.

Every time.

Spaghetti

Mate I'm telling you, the Shenmue music has a place in my heart like no other and when I hear it it just fills me with all these varying emotions. It's stupidly beautiful and amazing.

Every time.
Yessss.

I'm glad we're going to be hearing some old tunes too. Some of the stuff at the end of Shenmue II really competes for my all-time favourite game music.

So glad this track in particular is confirmed to be returning.

EDIT: This track is great too.

Spaghetti

all this music talk really makes me wish they would get takenobu mitsuyoshi on for this :(
Unfortunately he's still under contract with Sega, so he's out. They've got Ryuji Iuchi, and it seems they might contact Yuzo Koshiro in the future though.

mattp

i mean...they're licensing a sega ip to make this game. i feel like they should be able to work out a way to get mitsuyoshi contributions haha
oh well
at least iuchi is there. he probably wrote more of my favorite shenmue tracks than mitsuyoshi did.

Spaghetti

i mean...they're licensing a sega ip to make this game. i feel like they should be able to work out a way to get mitsuyoshi contributions haha
oh well
at least iuchi is there. he probably wrote more of my favorite shenmue tracks than mitsuyoshi did.
Possibly, but the interview with Cedric pretty much confirmed Sega's relationship to the project is literally lending the licence and associated production materials out, and taking a share of profits.

I don't feel they'll contribute more than they're contractually obliged to, at least not this time around. The SEGA Holdings President Hideki Okamura had fairly warm words about Yu and Shenmue III, but it likely won't materialise into something to aid the project outside maybe expediting efforts to get Shenmue/Shenmue II on modern platforms.

If III is a success, maybe their involvement can be renegotiated.

celsowmbr

Banned
Possibly, but the interview with Cedric pretty much confirmed Sega's relationship to the project is literally lending the licence and associated production materials out, and taking a share of profits.

I don't feel they'll contribute more than they're contractually obliged to, at least not this time around. The SEGA Holdings President Hideki Okamura had fairly warm words about Yu and Shenmue III, but it likely won't materialise into something to aid the project outside maybe expediting efforts to get Shenmue/Shenmue II on modern platforms.

If III is a success, maybe their involvement can be renegotiated.

Ryo's Cameo in All star Race, Transformed, Project X Zone...
Sometime I feel that Sega is "testing" Shenmue before invest money in the series again...
In 2010 and 2012 they hinted/leaked Shenmue HD...

Spaghetti

Ryo's Cameo in All star Race, Transformed, Project X Zone...
Sometime I feel that Sega is "testing" Shenmue before invest money in the series again...
In 2010 and 2012 they hinted/leaked Shenmue HD...
I dunno. The cynical view is that they're teasing a ravenous fanbase to make money out of them (DLC appearances, turning up in other games, statues, clothing, other merchandise) and just not giving them what they want, but then again it is very rare for a licence holder to lend out their IP in this exact way. They deserve credit for that at least.

Given the comments from Haruki Satomi last year and the recent survey including questions on old IP and opinions on Sega now vs Sega of the 90s, I think they definitely want to turn a corner and start winning back the hearts of gamers. Getting involved with a potential Shenmue IV could be part of that, if III does well enough.

openrob

If releasing in episodes was ever on the cards they would have factored it into the business model presented in the Kickstarter. It's clear they budgeted and have been developing the game as a full singular release.

I meant for subsequent games in the series it might be a possibility. I mean Shenmue was basically 1 chapter. Chapter 2 was a few pages of comic.

Shenmue 3 might cover several chapters on it's own, but it may still mean that another chapter could be made stand alone after this.

KAKYBAC

This is all better than I could have hoped. The graphics still maintain that Dreamcast chunkiness and solidarity.

Can't believe this is still real life....

Spaghetti

I meant for subsequent games in the series it might be a possibility. I mean Shenmue was basically 1 chapter. Chapter 2 was a few pages of comic.

Shenmue 3 might cover several chapters on it's own, but it may still mean that another chapter could be made stand alone after this.
Naaaah. Yu has said he doesn't want to make any more Shenmue games past V, so I think the next two installments will cover the remaining chapters past 6 with a few shortcuts involved.

epmode

Watching the presentation now, thanks!

I have a question about the Shenmue 3 campaign: Does the physical PC version also come with a full digital key? I have no use for a PC game disk but I'd still like to have the box and all that. I'd rather not have to choose between the two.

(I backed at a level that also gives me the trial version, if that helps answer the question)

Wow, after watching that presentation, it's clear Suzuki is a rare breed when it comes to game development.

This only further secures my confidence in Shenmue 3. Cant wait :)

ajim

Wow, after watching that presentation, it's clear Suzuki is a rare breed when it comes to game development.

This only further secures my confidence in Shenmue 3. Cant wait :)
Can't wait to see videos of ryo walking through the villages and a few fight videos.

Gets me pumped just thinking about it!

Krejlooc

Banned
What a time to be alive. I'm getting regular Shenmue III development news, MST3K is returning, and virtual reality is a hot topic.

You could have plucked me out of the 90's and I would have had the very same interests.

Spaghetti

Watching the presentation now, thanks!

I have a question about the Shenmue 3 campaign: Does the physical PC version also come with a full digital key? I have no use for a PC game disk but I'd still like to have the box and all that. I'd rather not have to choose between the two.

(I backed at a level that also gives me the trial version, if that helps answer the question)
Nobody knows if the PC physical version will include a disk. The trial version/demo will most certainly be digital however.

Spaghetti

Sorry for the double post, but hearing Yu talk about his trip to Fujian sent me to Google Images to take a look at the area.

CQdqa6D.jpg

2bHmjbe.jpg

I'm very hyped to see Baisha now.

Yessss.

I'm glad we're going to be hearing some old tunes too. Some of the stuff at the end of Shenmue II really competes for my all-time favourite game music.

So glad this track in particular is confirmed to be returning.

EDIT: This track is great too.

This will always be one of my favorite themes in any game I've ever played. But hell, the entire soundtrack for Shenmue is pretty damn amazing still to this day.

Spaghetti

This will always be one of my favorite themes in any game I've ever played. But hell, the entire soundtrack for Shenmue is pretty damn amazing still to this day.
That's a classic one. Not that I could see myself listening to it for an hour or anything...

I've caught myself humming the nightfall theme a few times while walking home in the evening as the street lights come on. It's eerie, because I didn't even realise it at first!

Best music was most certainly in the 4th disk of Shenmue 2, for me anyway. :)

I still think Shenmue has the best videogame soundtrack, right next to persona 4.

Spaghetti

Is there a transcript of the conference or cliff notes?
Yes, but it isn't formatted properly as of yet. It's just a cluster of text.

Shenmue Dojo user Yokosuka posted it here.

I've pulled some quotes on the battle systems though.

Q: There are a lot of game players who enjoy battles. What sort of battles can we expect in Shenmue 3?

Yu Suzuki: The battles in Shenmue 3... will differ a bit from those in Virtua Fighter. Rather than tactics, they will be about employing strategy.

For example, positional advantage - making use of the terrain to charge inside or carry out an assault on the enemy. This time I would like to make battles in which this kind of strategy can be employed. Having things break or fall over when knocked into is something many games are now doing. So just doing that is not very exciting. However having one object knocking over another, which knocks over another and so on in a chain reaction - I think that will be fun. Also there will be a system that allows the enemy to discover you. If you are discovered by the enemy, they will chase after you. So if for example 5 enemies see you, then those 5 enemies will keep chasing you.

And so... for example in places like alleyways, if you are familiar with your surroundings then you can purposely draw them over to where you want and overcome them that way. I think it will be fun doing that kind of thing. So to sum up, the environment will play a key role in the Shenmue 3 free battle.

Q: So it will be important to make use of geographical knowledge in battles?

Yu Suzuki: Yes. Also in Shenmue 1 and 2 the martial arts seen are primarily of the style from the northern region of China. Martial arts from the north tend to involve much larger movements and use showy actions like jumping kicks. With Shenmue 3, I'd like to incorporate some martial arts from the south. With southern martial arts, the actions take place right up close.

So in Shenmue 3 I would like to show martial arts that can be used to fight in confined areas. There was already a lot of martial arts in the first episodes but I think everybody is looking forward to finding out the new ones. I think so.

But for Shenmue 3 I'd like to make fighting possible in confined places. Places like in corridors, or on stairs... In fact, people like us who are used to using specific battle approaches in Shenmue 1 & 2 will have to relearn quite a lot. I think so. There will be quite a lot of changes.

Shenmue is more of a story-oriented, cinematic-style game whereas Virtua Fighter is a game that is specialized for exchanging blows. How can I put it... The movements are much faster than for normal human beings. So it's a bit too fast to be realistic. It's a fun game, but from the point of view of realism it's somewhat unnatural. I'd like to make the movements a little slower, closer to those of real fights.

As much as I enjoy the combat of the first two games, I'm really pretty interested in this reinterpretation of the fighting.

celsowmbr

Banned
Man ! I am very happy now because Suzuki said that he is using Agile Methodology instead Waterfall (16:48) !

749f21b7630149a6ce51eb5295c245ab.jpg

dev-methods.gif

Agile is more a "real life" methodology because you work with small iterations instead big phases :

Each iteration involves a cross-functional team working in all functions: planning, requirements analysis, design, coding, unit testing, and acceptance testing. At the end of the iteration a working product is demonstrated to stakeholders. This minimizes overall risk and allows the project to adapt to changes quickly.
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agile_software_development)

"Adapt to changes quickly" can be a key feature for Shenmue 3 development because the PayPal is still active and new features can be add to the game :)

Spaghetti

That seems a fairly smart way to developing for a project of this kind. I suppose that makes the demo/trial version next year for backers over $100 actually fairly important, as feedback can be rolled into the final game without totally disrupting things.

Spaghetti

Double post, but I've just had a quick chat with a software developer friend about this.

Agile is an unorthodox but interesting approach to game development, according to him. Waterfall is usually what is usually used in game development from start to finish.

However, looking at the Shenmue III workflow plan from the Kickstarter, it seems the game will likely be using a combination of both methodologies.

The large 'UE4 Function Testing' block seems to be where the Agile development methods are going to be used for an extensive prototype that can be rapidly iterated on. This will then likely be used to create the Game Design Document and the Technical Design Document when the tests have yielded robust results, and then full production will commence using Waterfall.

That's my take on it, and I could be wrong, but it seems a sensible way to develop this particular game.

kvn

Man ! I am very happy now because Suzuki said that he is using Agile Methodology instead Waterfall (16:48) !

[/IMG]https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/74/9f/21/749f21b7630149a6ce51eb5295c245ab.jpg[/IMG]

[/IMG]http://www.business-software.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/dev-methods.gif[/IMG]

Agile is more a "real life" methodology because you work with small iterations instead big phases :

([/url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agile_software_development[/url])

"Adapt to changes quickly" can be a key feature for Shenmue 3 development because the PayPal is still active and new features can be add to the game :)

There is probably a combination of both in place. Agile project management methods are also nothing new. Just a different approach to project management. Although it has become more popular over the last years with things such as SCRUM, for example. That first figure is also not that good... Agile methods stand more in contrast to general plan controlled methods (of which an interative waterfall model is one, there also models such as spiral models, the V model, prototyping - then there is agile prototyping etc. you get the idea), not the waterfall model in particular. And something like that still needs to be in place for a big(ger) team as the core idea of agile development is (very) small teams - fast feedback.

Just wanted to add that neither approach, plan-driven/-controlled approaches (waterfall, sprial, v-model, etc.) or agile methods (scrum, extreme programming, crystal, lean, etc.), is better than the other. It depends on the project and the team and what fits best. Different methods can also produce the same results. It all depends on the team's experience. The images however slightly tend to make one model look inferior to the other.

But I'm drifting off. I agree that it's nice to see that an industry dinosaur (not negative) such as Yu is also looking into modern approaches to project management.

Spaghetti

There is probably a combination of both in place. Agile project management methods are also nothing new. Just a different approach to project management. Although it has become more popular over the last years with things such as SCRUM, for example. That first figure is also not that good... Agile methods stand more in contrast to general plan controlled methods (of which an interative waterfall model is one, there also models such as spiral models, the V model, prototyping - then there is agile prototyping etc. you get the idea), not the waterfall model in particular. And something like that still needs to be in place for a big(ger) team as the core idea of agile development is (very) small teams - fast feedback.

Just wanted to add that neither approach, plan-driven/-controlled approaches (waterfall, sprial, v-model, etc.) or agile methods (scrum, extreme programming, crystal, lean, etc.), is better than the other. It depends on the project and the team and what fits best. Different methods can also produce the same results. It all depends on the team's experience. The images however slightly tend to make one model look inferior to the other.

But I'm drifting off. I agree that it's nice to see that an industry dinosaur (not negative) such as Yu is also looking into modern approaches to project management.
You put it better than I could, but I totally agree.

It's cool we've had a little bit of a peek behind the curtain on this. Usually this side of game development isn't covered at all.

Am i the only one that gets excited like a little kid when i see any form of shenmue news?

Not at all. I've never contributed to anything on Kickstarter in my life, but Yu Suzuki got my money. The man deserves all the support he can get.

It's still going to be amazing to actually hold the physical game.

Top Bottom