• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue III Reboot Develop Blue 2019 panel summary

Mista

Banned

Here is a summary of the panel:
  • Suzuki believes in the diversity of game puzzles and wants to present various ways to solve the problem.
  • Suzuki perceives reality as being something that gives you the feeling or idea of that place, rather than something real. It is the idea of “similarity” versus “reality.” He does not want to be the “simulation guy.”
  • For example, in one of the screenshots showcased, there are familiar Japanese food stalls in a Chinese setting and mountains from a totally different location. It is about creating the feeling of being in a location. He put more work into the faces and animations to give off a “feeling” rather than “reality.” The music, for example, was recorded with real Chinese instruments. And while the boat showcased in one of the screenshots is not something you would actually see in China, it still has the flavor of China.
  • Suzuki shifted the design of the game to meet his team’s strengths (such as his artist who enjoys making boats) as he realized the team needs to be engaged to make a good game.
  • Suzuki is trying to do things in Shenmue III that he could not do in its predecessors, such as pawning an item and gambling the money away. While those systems existed before, they were not connected.
  • The core fighting system is better integrated through a skill book which unlocks skills by collecting more items.
  • The game’s Baidu Village setting is one of two main areas. Baidu Village is a countryside area that features items and prize winning, as well as skills that can be purchased with money or exchanged.
  • Every game system is tied to the skill book.
  • Suzuki is working towards more complex accessibility modes for battle. Rather than difficulty dip switches like back in the day, they let you set the battle difficulty, ranging from easy to “better not play this mode.” The complexity of control increases with your chosen difficulty.
  • The dojo can be used to practice with a wooden man, spar, compete in matches, and increase your skills. Your can level up your dan in the dojo to clear matches that surface during the story.
  • There will be a movie that summarizes Shenmue I and II for newcomers, but Suzuki recommends playing them before playing Shenmue III.
  • Minigames include gatcha, crane games, a punching game, and an overall emphasis on physical or mechanical games. There will be electronic (video) games as well, and you can also win tickets that can be redeemed for prizes and more, which connect to the skill tree.
  • The forklift will return, but its use is still a secret. The forklift in this game will be slower than the original, but it is better integrateed into the game and is connected to critical path-related things.
  • The play style changed from Shenmue I to II, and has changed again with Shenmue III, but Suzuki thinks original fans will really like what the team at Ys Net has done.

New screenshots:
Shenmue-3_2019_04-12-19_001.jpg

Shenmue-3_2019_04-12-19_002.jpg

Shenmue-3_2019_04-12-19_003.jpg

Shenmue-3_2019_04-12-19_004.jpg

Shenmue-3_2019_04-12-19_005.jpg

Shenmue-3_2019_04-12-19_006.jpg

Shenmue-3_2019_04-12-19_007.jpg

Shenmue-3_2019_04-12-19_008.jpg

Shenmue-3_2019_04-12-19_009.jpg

Thanks to Gemtasu

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
feeling or idea of that place, rather than something real. It is the idea of “similarity” versus “reality.” He does not want to be the “simulation guy.”

It seems like either I am misunderstanding him / taking him in the most extreme literal version of what he said or his design has changed quite a bit from Shenmue I although it is consistent with the path from Shenmue I to Shenmue II.

This is the guy who had actual 1980’s Japanese weather in Yokosuka and neighbouring areas recorded and implemented in the game and recorded the town faithfully enough that people go sightseeing nowadays.

Anyone else notice the Xbox button prompts? Sure it could be PC but the fact that they're using an Xbox controller is interesting and probably something to take note of.

I'm honestly regretting not buying shenmue HD collection after reading Suzuki's game design philosophy. It sounds fantastic and reminds me of why PS2 era games were great. The idea of similarity vs reality is something of a lost art nowadays.

Mista

Banned
I'm honestly regretting not buying shenmue HD collection after reading Suzuki's game design philosophy. It sounds fantastic and reminds me of why PS2 era games were great. The idea of similarity vs reality is something of a lost art nowadays.
You haven’t played Shenmue before? If yes, what are you waiting for?! The game was ahead of its time back in the days.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Is that VF's Pai on the screen in the arcade?
Good observation. It's either a game, or a poster.

I'm not sure Sega would allow Suzuki san to include a whole Virtua Fighter into Shenmue III. But if they do, wow, that'd be amazing.

Breakage

Good observation. It's either a game, or a poster.

I'm not sure Sega would allow Suzuki san to include a whole Virtua Fighter into Shenmue III. But if they do, wow, that'd be amazing.
Yeah, I doubt it too. There doesn't even seem to be any VF capsule toy machines this time round.

Honestly with the advancement in graphics in current walking simulators (not saying shenmue is just that) I was expecting more. OG Shemue was attempting to look real when it came out, this is trying to look like old shemue which is cartoony.

ajim

"Suzuki shifted the design of the game to meet his team’s strengths (such as his artist who enjoys making boats) as he realized the team needs to be engaged to make a good game. "

This is the kind of stuff that makes Yu special and an innovator. Guy is amazing.

Kazza

Those environments look so gorgeous. The UI looks nice too, very Shenmue (I was afraid that they would slap a generic UE4 UI on top). Still need to see some extended gameplay though.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
"Suzuki shifted the design of the game to meet his team’s strengths (such as his artist who enjoys making boats) as he realized the team needs to be engaged to make a good game. "

This is the kind of stuff that makes Yu special and an innovator. Guy is amazing.
I just found this part funny. Like he has some member on the team that just is depressed all the time unless he's making boats. "Okay, okay ... we'll put in tons of boats." Sounds like a toddler lol.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Yeah! The iconic forklift
It's a completely different forklift, nothing like the one in Shenmue 1, which makes sense as he's now in a different country altogether. It's certainly iconic to see Ryo working one though.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
It's a completely different forklift, nothing like the one in Shenmue 1, which makes sense as he's now in a different country altogether. It's certainly iconic to see Ryo working one though.
Yeah ofcourse. But still good to see it again

Top Bottom