• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue III review thread

Changing my mind about Shenmue 3...

It's good, i'm a idiot.

Waiting to see more about the game and the end now, to see if Shenmue 3 is as good as Shenmue 1-2.

sorry.
tumblr_n8tqcqPhPB1thowlgo1_250.gif

This post...it represents a level of maturity I thought long since gone from neogaf.

Not because of what it says or how its said but because the poster saw some error in their past opinions or ideas, checked themselves, and decided, "you know what? I was wrong and that's OK."

THANK YOU for this post.
Even if the situations were reversed and you went from loving shenmue 3 to hating it, I would still give you a pat on the back.

Last edited:

Kazza

It's a game from the early 2000s, for better or worse.

Edit- why do the faces look worse in this than 1/2?
Calzhe_Zhou.jpg

I can't believe people are still putting out this kind of low level troll...

giphy.gif

If you really think that these look better...

NSND4F8.png
23Wo8WL.jpg

...then I have an early Christmas present for you:

Xmas-fun-day.jpg

I think they did a good job with the character design, improving on the originals, while still keeping the Shenmue vibe. These two kung fu masters from 2 and 3 make a good comparison:

jianmin1.jpg
nQQ5w4j.jpg

They both look like they are from the same series of games, despite the obvious (although not so obvious to some, it seems...) technological improvements.

Last edited:

Soltype

I can't believe people are still putting out this kind of low level troll...

giphy.gif

If you really think that these look better...

NSND4F8.png
23Wo8WL.jpg

...then I have an early Christmas present for you:

Xmas-fun-day.jpg

I think they did a good job with the character design, improving on the originals, while still keeping the Shenmue vibe. These two kung fu masters from 2 and 3 make a good comparison:

jianmin1.jpg
nQQ5w4j.jpg

They both look like they are from the same series of games, despite the obvious (although not so obvious to some, it seems...) technological improvements.
Not trolling man, just saying some of the faces/heads look way off.That dudes head looks bad, like a caricature.I'm going to play the game regardless.

Nickolaidas

My own personal take & opinion:

I think that Shenmue III is a good representation of a problem many once-upon-a-time revolutionary IPs face: they are utterly unable to evolve and are now irrelevant.

When it was released, Shenmue I gave mainstream console gamers some revolutionary gameplay ideas that were either totally obscure or unheard of back then. A real day-night circle with NPCs reacting to time-of-day was all but unheard of. Shops closing for the night, NPCs going back to their homes to sleep, or stroll through the city or wake up to walk to their jobs was something that blew peoples minds and gave them an unprecedented sense of realism. As was also the fact that your character could walk inside stores and shop actual real-life items instead of weapons, armor and spells from every run-of-the-mill fantasy rpg out there. It was a truly marvelous sight to behold.

The fact that you also had to gossip and talk with people all around you to progress through the story inch by inch was also original.

But other than that, Shenmue I wasn't all that awesomesauce. Battle was problematic, characters weren't all that amazing (it's your classic 'I will avenge the death of my loved one' story, nothing to write home about), but when the world of the game is made in such a way that makes you appreciate it, you tend to invest on every little moment, and before you know it, you're a groupie.

So yeah, Shenmue was original in many ways, but at the same time - in other ways - wasn't anything special.

So what happens when the breakthrough-ish, amazingly original traits of the first game aren't original and breakthrough-ish in the sequels?

Answer: You get the 'nothing to write home about' game sequels instead. Which is exactly what Shenmue III is. It's the same archaic, problematic gameplay, without the originality of the first one.

This is a problem many pioneers face in the industry. Castlevania Symphony of the Night was the game that created the 'metroidvania' term among fans and had people screaming for games like that from the game's creator. After many years, he gives us Bloodstained, which is a good game, but created nowhere near the same noise SotN created. Why? Because it didn't evolve the core gameplay in the slightest, other than the fact that instead of spells, you absorb enemy abilities. Same shit, different day.

You can say how much Squaresoft 'ruined' FInal Fantasy with the latest entries, but the fact remains that Final Fantasy XV is a HUGE evolution over the archaic and simplified gameplay of say, Final Fantasy IV. And you can bet your butts that if Final Fantasy XV played like FFIV, no one would be talking about the series right now. Except like, fifty people.

Same thing with Mortal Kombat. MK2 is considered by most old-school gamers as the best MK ever, but MK11 shows how much the IP has evolved since then. All characters had the exact same basic moves and the only difference were the special moves. Now, all characters have different basic attacks, different combos, a cinematic story mode, various gear to equip to change appearance and some gameplay elements, and so on. It evolved the core game and is something quite different from its predecessors.

Shenmue III shows us what happens when you make the exact same game after the industry propelled forward after 20 years. Heck, even Elder Scrolls games are showing this now. These are once-upon-a-time beloved IPs that today do not produce what was that made them amazing back then.

Originality.

bronk

Banned
tumblr_n8tqcqPhPB1thowlgo1_250.gif

This post...it represents a level of maturity I thought long since gone from neogaf.

Not because of what it says or how its said but because the poster saw some error in their past opinions or ideas, checked themselves, and decided, "you know what? I was wrong and that's OK."

THANK YOU for this post.
Even if the situations were reversed and you went from loving shenmue 3 to hating it, I would still give you a pat on the back.
Maturity? My dumbass thinks this about every game I play. Lol. I just always say I'm an idiot but now I'll just say I'm being mature. Hell yea!

Kazza

Not trolling man, just saying some of the faces/heads look way off.That dudes head looks bad, like a caricature.I'm going to play the game regardless.

Fair enough, I just thought your statement was a tad hyperbolic. I agree that the NPC you pointed out is one of the lower quality ones, but I think the main NPCs look great, and even the unimportant ones generally look ok. iirc, every one of the few hundred NPCs in this game has its own unique model. That's pretty impressive for any game, but particularly for a kickstarter. Even in the Yakuza series (which I like more then Shenmue) you'll notice multiple versions of the same NPCs wandering around Kumarocho.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
I like other games like FIFA that most people hate, so to each its own.
FIFA is super popular and successful. It may be "hated" in your bubble but its definitely not by the general public. There are people out there buying a console just to play FIFA.

@Topic
It's at 71 now and thats pretty much what I've expected, considering I dont care about critic scores (except its really low) and just get what I'm interested in. I enjoy tons of games in range of 50-70.
Who even plays games objectively, except critics?`
Speaking of, a lot of us always wanted games to be seen as art by the media and by the public. Art ain't objective. So it's kinda contradictory to look at games objectively.

Tiamat2san

I finished it and loved it. (Shenmue is a part of me since the first one)
Some things needs to be addressed though:
-You should be able to skip all the dialogues.
Sometimes you can after you talk to someone for the fifth time but not every body.
Every time you talk to dojo master for the first time of the day, you need to listen to the same shit again.
Every fucking day.

-ryo should be able to pass over 10 inches barriers.... seriously.

-a check list of sort is needed.
To be able to know which item you already have in your inventory when you are in a store or an token exchange counter.

- an instant jump is available when you exit the house in the village but not your hotel room...why?

that’s it.
Can’t wait to see what are the dlc .

First off I don't know what dlc you are expecting, it won't be much. The studio already confirmed a sequel and the game was designed with that in mind.

Also the first Shenmue wasn't good, but it was a game you showed your friends to show off the power of the Dreamccast.

Shenmue 3? I guess it shows off the power of the Ouya pretty well.

Tiamat2san

First off I don't know what dlc you are expecting, it won't be much. The studio already confirmed a sequel and the game was designed with that in mind.

Also the first Shenmue wasn't good, but it was a game you showed your friends to show off the power of the Dreamccast.

Shenmue 3? I guess it shows off the power of the Ouya pretty well.

opinions
The first game was excellent and the second an absolute masterpiece for me.
The 3rd is very good.

in the trophies , you can see there’s a story quest pack.

so maybe it will be interesting
Of course it will be short.

i hope there will be a fourth and fifth game.

The reviews don't seem completely favorable for the game, but I hope none of them are influenced by the digital store/general controversy the game got caught up in. Knowing how flimsy and easily bought off a lot of these journalists are, we probably can't take every single one of their words as gospel, otherwise it makes the whole "ethics in gaming journalism" stuff come off as fake.

Plus, at least from what I'm seeing Shenmue III has a lot of the same slow pacing and drawn-out moments as Death Stranding and RDR2, but those games never had those points raised against them (especially RDR2 which got perfect scores from the majority of reviewers). If you don't think money, perks and "access media" (or lack thereof for smaller games to get those privileges) is influencing a lot of these reviews....welp....:/S

wvnative

I'm pretty impressed, but very disappointed in this stiff, janky combat... I just switched to easy mode to not have to deal with it.

Translation is very poor, but those two points aside, i'm still pretty pleased with it. Enjoying it more than Jedi Fallen Order anyway.

Kazza

It's interesting to compare the Metacritic scores for Shenmue 3 and Death Stranding, two genre-defying games by famous games creators (although one with a huge AAA budget and one with kickstarter money):

etmBSs4.png
ZVn5iXo.png

If I were a games designer, I would be happier with a higher user score than with a higher critics score. I'm not surprised by the Shenmue scores. 71 is a decent score for such a divisive game, and an 8.2 is a good user score. I am surprised by the 5.4 user score for Death Stranding. Hadn't these people seen the trailers? Were they really expecting another Metal Gear Solid?

Kokoloko85

They absolutely have to patch and fix all the horrendous faces, and also a lot of animations.

A lot of characters are too generic...

Shenmue 1 & 2 are masterpieces.

Shenmue 3 is meh.

Shen Mue 1 is a top 10 game for me, but the game was split in opinion back from day one with many hating it.
Shen mue 3 is in the same place lol. Support it and we might finish the bloody story and hopefully they will improve the next one

Impotaku

My own personal take & opinion:

When it was released, Shenmue I gave mainstream console gamers some revolutionary gameplay ideas that were either totally obscure or unheard of back then. A real day-night circle with NPCs reacting to time-of-day was all but unheard of. Shops closing for the night, NPCs going back to their homes to sleep, or stroll through the city or wake up to walk to their jobs was something that blew peoples minds and gave them an unprecedented sense of realism.

It wasn't that uncommon or obscure, Nintendo was doing shit like that with animal forest way back on the N64.

Nickolaidas

It's interesting to compare the Metacritic scores for Shenmue 3 and Death Stranding, two genre-defying games by famous games creators (although one with a huge AAA budget and one with kickstarter money):

etmBSs4.png
ZVn5iXo.png

If I were a games designer, I would be happier with a higher user score than with a higher critics score. I'm not surprised by the Shenmue scores. 71 is a decent score for such a divisive game, and an 8.2 is a good user score. I am surprised by the 5.4 user score for Death Stranding. Hadn't these people seen the trailers? Were they really expecting another Metal Gear Solid?
I wouldn't take the 5.4 score of DS seriously. The game was review-bombed by Sony fans (the moronic variety) because it wasn't a PS exclusive. Just like they review-bombed MK11 for not having female MK characters look like strippers.

opinions
The 3rd is very good.

Dont bother. He just lives to create clashes. The threads he has created here speak for themselves. He's just a PS hater.

About Shenmue... #HatersGonnaHate aka the same old song since 1999.

Last edited:

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Does it say something that I saw this in store for the first time today and was genuinely surprised at the $59.99 price tag? This is the revival of a failed series that had to find funding on Kickstarter to get made, it's the definition of a budget title.

How long until this ends up in bargain bins? As excited as I've been for this game to come out, I don't think many people are going to buy it for $60.

CD'S BAR

I'm waiting for a price drop too as i think it's imminent, but at the same time I feel this game is going to get a limited run of physical copies and I don't want to miss it (can't play on PC).

Kazza

I'm waiting for a price drop too as i think it's imminent, but at the same time I feel this game is going to get a limited run of physical copies and I don't want to miss it (can't play on PC).

You're in luck. Some other store (Best Buy?) included it in its Black Friday sale, so it looks as though amazon has price-matched. $34.99.

opinions
The 3rd is very good.

The reason why we didn't get a 3rd game for so long was because the market said no, this isn't about personal opinions. It was a tech demo to the general public period.

Dont bother. He just lives to create clashes. The threads he has created here speak for themselves. He's just a PS hater.

About Shenmue... #HatersGonnaHate aka the same old song since 1999.

Yep PS hater, talking about Sega Dreamcast games, Sony.

Are you on drugs?

Miles708

The reason why we didn't get a 3rd game for so long was because the market said no, this isn't about personal opinions. It was a tech demo to the general public period.

Well, the fact that the Dreamcast sadly died, also had a significant impact. The rest is history, but Shenmue wasn't exactly an easy game to get out of the door, if we had to make a parallel in terms of manpower and budget, today it would be likely somewhere around Red Dead Redemption 2.
The market did say no, but sadly it said "no" not to Shenmue in particular, but to Sega as a whole :(

You re-opened old scars. Hope you're happy.
(i'm joking)

There will be 3 DLCs, one of them being a story mode DLC. I can't remember the other 2.

Last edited:

Enjay

Banned
There's a good chance shenmue 4 still gets made even if bombs hard as I still see epic being rich and arrogant enough to fund it as an epic store exclusive.

Yoda

Finally finished the game. It clearly got pushed out the door before it was finished. I can excuse awkward facial animations or even a lackluster combat system, but the story itself was the biggest disappointment...

The hard truth is nothing important really happens. The characters who are introduced are forgettable, Ryo doesn't really grow as a person or a martial artist (he can't even beat 3 rando thugs in a rural chinese village after fighting off the entire Yellow Head organization), and very little is learned about why his dad got the mirrors or was accused of murdering Zhao Suming. I'm somewhat convinced Yu Suzuki didn't write most of the original story himself because this game feels quite different... and lets not pretend they didn't have enough time to figure the story out between S2 and S3.

Being extremely generous, I'd give it a 7/10 myself.

I was watching some docu about the making of Shenmue 1 (its pretty old) and man Suzuki had same ego as Kojima does now. Dude was followed by news media to his office, been driven in a limo, towards his workers he was acting like a dick showoff and look at him now. A pensioner asking for cash to fund his game. Not necessarily saying he is a bad guy but also how they system just as easily forgets about you and leaves you in the dust. He had success early on and then his 5 minutes were up.

I appreciate the effort but what bothers me the most about him was his interview just before the game came out when he said "oh, this is not the finale, probably another 3-4 games need to happen to finish up the story. Fuck off, you had a chance, for the fans, let them have a conclusion and make a beautiful trilogy. In his mind he thinks he is making Star Wars saga or something. In reality people just wanted a proper end they waited on for 20 years. Dude got greedy but I can say 99% he wont get funded anymore. Sales of S3 are very low, even with some fan support, it will not reach again those numbers in support nor will a big company invest.

I was watching some docu about the making of Shenmue 1 (its pretty old) and man Suzuki had same ego as Kojima does now. Dude was followed by news media to his office, been driven in a limo, towards his workers he was acting like a dick showoff and look at him now. A pensioner asking for cash to fund his game. Not necessarily saying he is a bad guy but also how they system just as easily forgets about you and leaves you in the dust. He had success early on and then his 5 minutes were up.

I appreciate the effort but what bothers me the most about him was his interview just before the game came out when he said "oh, this is not the finale, probably another 3-4 games need to happen to finish up the story. Fuck off, you had a chance, for the fans, let them have a conclusion and make a beautiful trilogy. In his mind he thinks he is making Star Wars saga or something. In reality people just wanted a proper end they waited on for 20 years. Dude got greedy but I can say 99% he wont get funded anymore. Sales of S3 are very low, even with some fan support, it will not reach again those numbers in support nor will a big company invest.

It has been known from the very start that, after the cancel Saturn version, the 1st DC game was the 1st chapter of 3 games (the 3rd starting with the last one on Shenmue 2) and all are parts of a more important story. What makes Shenmue special to me is how the story is told and how everything is put together to create a special emotion (despite some flaws).

You have to understand the man is still VERY important for SEGA. The 1st real time 3d racer with the camera changes and the 1st 3d fighter are his babies (AM2), so are OutRun among some of SEGA most important licences.

If you don't like story, play Nintendo. #1999 😜🤭

Last edited:

Kazza

It's more like 20 years of making some of the most fun and groundbreaking games in the industry, rather than 5 minutes:

Champion Boxing1984Sega SG-1000Director / Designer[63]
Hang-On1985Sega Hang-On hardwareDirector / Designer[64]
Space Harrier1985Sega Space Harrier hardwareDirector / Designer[65]
Enduro Racer1986Sega Space Harrier hardwareDirector / Designer
Out Run1986Sega OutRun hardwareDirector / Designer[66]
Super Hang-On1986Sega OutRun hardwareProducer
After Burner1987Sega X BoardDirector / Designer[67]
After Burner II1987Sega X BoardDirector / Designer[68]
Power Drift1988Sega Y BoardDirector / Designer[69]
Dynamite Düx1988Sega System 16Producer[30]
Turbo Outrun1989Sega OutRun hardwareProducer[30]
Sword of Vermilion1989Sega Mega DriveProducer[30]
G-LOC: Air Battle1990Sega Y BoardDirector / Designer[70]
GP Rider1990Sega X Board, Sega Game GearProducer[30]
Strike Fighter1991Sega Y BoardDesigner[71] / Producer[30]
Rent-A-Hero1991Sega Mega DriveProducer[30]
F1 Exhaust Note1991Sega System 32Producer[30]
Virtua Racing1992Sega Model 1Director / Chief Programmer[72]
Soreike Kokology1992Sega System 32Producer[30]
Virtua Fighter1993Sega Model 1, Sega Saturn, Microsoft WindowsDirector / Producer[73]
Burning Rival1993Sega System 32Producer[30]
Daytona USA1993Sega Model 2, Sega Saturn, Microsoft WindowsProducer[30] / Special Thanks[74]
Virtua Cop1994Sega Model 2, Sega Saturn, Microsoft WindowsProducer[30] / Supervisor
Virtua Fighter 21994Sega Model 2, Sega Saturn, Microsoft WindowsDirector / Producer
Desert Tank1994Sega Model 2Producer[30]
Virtua Striker1995Sega Model 2Producer[30]
Virtua Cop 21995Sega Model 2, Sega Saturn, Microsoft WindowsProducer[30] / Supervisor
Fighting Vipers1995Sega Model 2, Sega SaturnProducer[30]
Virtua Fighter 31996Sega Model 3, DreamcastDirector
Virtua Fighter Kids1996Sega ST-V, Sega SaturnProducer[30]
Fighters Megamix1996Sega SaturnProducer[30]
Sonic the Fighters1996Sega Model 2Producer[30]
Scud Race1996Sega Model 3Producer[30]
Virtua Striker 21997Sega Model 3Producer[30]
Digital Dance Mix Vol.1 Namie Amuro1997Sega SaturnProducer[30]
All Japan Pro-Wrestling Featuring Virtua1997Sega ST-VProducer[30]
Fighting Vipers 21998Sega Model 3, DreamcastProducer[30]
Daytona USA 21998Sega Model 3Producer[30]
Ferrari F355 Challenge1999Sega NAOMI Multiboard, Dreamcast, PlayStation 2Director / Producer
Shenmue1999DreamcastDirector / Producer / Writer
Outtrigger1999Sega NAOMIProducer[30]
18 Wheeler: American Pro Trucker1999Sega NAOMI, DreamcastProducer[30]
Shenmue II2001Dreamcast, XboxDirector / Producer / Writer
Virtua Fighter 42001Sega NAOMI 2, PlayStation 2Director[30] / Producer
Virtua Cop 32003Sega ChihiroProducer
OutRun 22003Sega ChihiroProducer[75]

It has been known that the series will need several games to complete since all the way back in 1999. Here is him saying so again way back in 2016. Stop looking for excuses to be angry and outraged, especially on other people's behalf. From what I've seen and read, pretty much all the Shemue fans seem very pleased with how Shenmue 3 has turned out. The fans wanted the game made, the creator wanted to make it - I can't see the problem here. If you really feel the need to find something to get outraged about on a Sunday afternoon then maybe check on Twitter, that's what it's there for. I'm sure you'll find something worthy to vent your spleen on. Some people, sheesh, smh...

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
My only complaint is related to the story, and how it ends.

Based on what Yu Suzuki said just a few years back, the Castle was supposed to have a new mechanic, and be a huge part of the game. But it ended up being very short. I think they cut most of the story out for money reasons. And I would rather they kept the story, and cut other things.

One thing they should have cut imo is the in-game clock. I know that's very integral to Shenmue, but I believe it was a waste of money. Also, the game would have been better if players had time to do things and not have the clock. It would improve the game and save a bunch on money. Another things is the voice acting. There was no need to put money into English voices IMO. It feels akward, and I believe japanese suits the games much better.

Yu, next time, if there is a next time, put priority to the story, please..

Miles708

One thing they should have cut imo is the in-game clock. I know that's very integral to Shenmue, but I believe it was a waste of money. Also, the game would have been better if players had time to do things and not have the clock. It would improve the game and save a bunch on money. Another things is the voice acting. There was no need to put money into English voices IMO. It feels akward, and I believe japanese suits the games much better.

Yu, next time, if there is a next time, put priority to the story, please..

As you say, the in-game clock is an integral part of Shenmue, since it dictates the world's and player's routine day-by-day.
Routine, mundanity and world interaction are such integral parts that stripping any of them out woudl mean doing a completely different game. Personally, I would never want that.

If anything, I'd like them to focus on these aspects even more.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
As you say, the in-game clock is an integral part of Shenmue, since it dictates the world's and player's routine day-by-day.
Routine, mundanity and world interaction are such integral parts that stripping any of them out woudl mean doing a completely different game. Personally, I would never want that.

If anything, I'd like them to focus on these aspects even more.
Yeah, I would too but... they had to make sacrifices for money reasons. That was my point.

From what they've shown previously, I think at one time there wasn't a real time clock to the game, way back. Not using one would simplify A LOT of things, and it would enable the team to work more on storyline aspects. Plus, not having a limited time to do stuff could make the game a little more interesting in a different way.

Last edited:

ajim

It was literally made for the fans. I didn't expect the reviews to be this good to be honest.

I'm glad it's got a mix of positive reviews too.

As a Shenmue fan, the game is exactly what I hoped for.

I hope it does well enough to justify a 4th

Top Bottom