• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue, Okami... top ten of the WORST games according to chilean "experts"

maltrain

The chilean newspaper "Las Ultimas Noticias" is the most popular on Chile, but a real piece of crap. In this sunday edition, they published an article about the Microsoft documentary searching for ET copies and, of course, they made a list with the "Top Ten" of the worst videogames of the history. The ranking was made by two experts, who teach videogames on Chile.

Just to be clear, every chilean gamer disagree with this crappy ranking...

The list is "amazing":

1º. ET (Atari - 1982)
2º. Pac Man (Atari - 1982) * they say it's for the lot of bugs of this version *
3º. Desert Bus (Sega - 1995)
4º. Grim Fandango (LucasArts - 1998) WTF!!!
5º. Shenmue (Sega - 1999) TRIPLE WTF!!!
6º. Daikatana (Eidos - 2000)
7º. Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing (Stellas Stone - 2003)
8º. Psychonauts (Double Fine - 2005) Ufff...
9º. Okami (Clover Studio - 2006) Just unbelievable...
10º. Duke Nukem Forever (Gearbox - 2011)

UPDATE
To be fair with the teachers, one of them already explained the situation here: https://m.facebook.com/jtcofre/posts/630339803727321?stream_ref=10

Journalist asked for the bigger failures comercially speaking and he never even mentioned Shenmue, Grim Fandango or Okami.

As I first said, LUN is a piece of shit and this demonstrate that. It's a shame so many people read that garbage in my country...

LUCPR02LU0405_768.jpg

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Those are some...odd opinions, but okay. I would've removed a few of those games and put in Extreme PaintBrawl, but I guess that's just me.

Tim Schafer taking a beating. Also ridiculous list for the most part. Even if you don't like those games, they really don't belong with some of those others that barely function, yada yada you all know this.

maltrain

Those are some...odd opinions, but okay. I would've removed a few of those games and put in Extreme PaintBrawl, but I guess that's just me.

I mean... Rogue Warrior, Rambo The Videogame or Ride to Hell are better than Shenmue according to this... amazing.

illusionary

Does anyone know if the text *tries* to make some sort of justification for the choices? As above, some of those are baffling.

Dekanach

Just one word: ARCOS

'nuff said.

And of course it's all about baiting. Since long time they have been working under that premise.

The presence of Shenmue on that list makes no sense. Hell, I don't even like Okami but I wouldn't put it on a list of worst games.

Munin

Come on, nobody would know games like Grim Fandango and Psychonauts and then not know how acclaimed they are. Guarantee they just put these in to fuck with the few gamers that might read this, their main audience wouldn't care anyway.

dcassell

Banned
Could have been translation issues in Chile, as I can see how translating something like a Tim Schaefer game to another language would be a real challenge, and something that could make or break a game when you're talking about an adventure title like Grim Fandango. I'd love to hear input from an actual resident of Chile on if their version was playable or not, and somewhat close to the source material.

That said, I'm not sure that would be very well justified. Wild Arms 2 had a horrid translation to English (so did Shenmue now that I think of it), and I still enjoyed it.

maltrain

Could have been translation issues in Chile, as I can see how translating something like a Tim Schaefer game to another language would be a real challenge, and something that could make or break a game when you're talking about an adventure title like Grim Fandango. I'd love to hear input from an actual resident of Chile on if their version was playable or not, and somewhat close to the source material.

That said, I'm not sure that would be very well justified. Wild Arms 2 had a horrid translation to English (so did Shenmue now that I think of it), and I still enjoyed it.

Man... those games are awesome. Here in Chile we used to play games in english, no problems with that...

bon

They must be messing with us. There is no way they sincerely put Shenmue and Psychonauts on the same list as Daikatana and Big Rigs.

Freeman

Banned
Half the list could be someone's pick for best games ever.

The guy who wrote it has job. Goddammit!

Is freedom of the press really necessary at this point? Just shut this newspaper down.

abadguy

Banned
WOW! I know Shenmue wasn't for everyone but to put it in the same category as the likes of Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing and Daikatana?! Seriously?

Lijik

Seems like they picked 6 terrible games (and make no mistake, theyre on the money with the atari version of pac man) and then picked four games from a "Top 10 cult classics" list just to fuck with people

maltrain

Is there an argument for this list in the newspaper? I can't see a list like that and not read their reasoning behind that.

None. Just because they were talking about ET.

They talked about some of the games, but didn't mention anything about Shenmue, Grim Fandango, Psychonauts or Okami.

I suppose the journalist isn't a gamer because if someone tell me those games, I would ask for an explanation.

Or maybe the journalist was wrong... I can't believe two teachers (one of them teach "videogames history") can mention Shenmue or Grim Fandango.

I am not a huge fan of Okami either but one of the worst games ever ? Is the writer of this article trolling or something ? This cannot be a serious list.

So here's the thing: none of the WTF games seem to be listed in the text of the actual article. Also, unless I'm misreading (and I don't even know what Chile's national language is so I very well could be) the article also seems to mention a game that's not in the list.

Seems like it could be too good to be true. (And by that I mean too bad to be true.)

Top Bottom