• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue's Soundtrack Enters The Hall of Fame

Shenmue_Games.jpg

Shenmue's illustrious soundtrack has been voted into the Classic FM Hall of Fame as this year's highest new entry, joining previous video game compositions from the likes of Journey and Final Fantasy to be recognized alongside the works of Beethoven, Mozart, and Tchaikovsky as well as celebrated movie scores heard in Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and more.

classicfm_hof.png

http://www.classicfm.com/

http://halloffame.classicfm.com/2016/chart/p/list-all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bslv3RpY_TY&feature=youtu.be

shenmue-3-director-money-visuals-ryo-shenhua.jpg

Shenmue Orchestra OST

Shenmue OST

Shenmue Online OST

Nzyme32

Completely deserved for such a stunning soundtrack. Shenmue 2 also had a pretty amazing soundtrack. For its time, Shenmue was pretty ambitious in every aspect including its soundtrack. Hope to see more game soundtracks enter their hall of fame, particularly those taking great mixtures of different cultures to present music of fictional cultures like the Homeworld games, or even games that thrust their own cultural music front and centre such as the Witched 3.

Also, completely forgot Aled Jones is at Classic FM these days!

I love the soundtrack (obviously). I picked up a copy recently at Super Potato. It's so awesome that it's getting recognition still.

Erevador

Lovely to see all this long overdue recognition for Shenmue after all these years. A beautiful and ambitious soundtrack for an extraordinary game.

Always loved the soundtrack, and wondered why it wasn't mentioned much over the years.

I did notice it coming up more and more recently.

When those first 3 notes played at E3... the biggest lump in my throat.

Amazing soundtrack, great to see it represented here (and to see Game Music in general on these things).

FYI, the rest of the game soundtracks currently on the list* - Grant Kirkhope with double entries!

#98 Banjo-Kazooie (Grant Kirkhope)
#120 The Elder Scrolls series (Jeremy Soule)
#126 Blue Dragon (Nobuo Uematsu)
#135 Legend of Zelda series (Koji Kondo)
#144 Shenmue (Yuzo Koshiro, Ryuji Iuchi)
#221 Journey (Austin Wintory)
#268 Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (Jessica Curry)
#269 World of Warcraft (Russell Browser, Tracy Brush, Jason Hayes, Neal Acree et al)
#272 Viva Pinata (Grant Kirkhope)

*it's not finished yet, 1-61 still to be announced.

Garlador

This is just a friendly reminder that Shenmue III is actually happening. It was not a dream. This is reality. And we will one day be playing it.

... Feels so good.

PillarEN

That's cool, though I don't know this station. They are s popular internet radio channel I'm guessing?
Either way the Shenmue ost is worthy of such exposure.

spunodi

Thanks for the Shenmue Orchestra link OP; I can't understand why I didn't know this existed for over a decade but it's GORGEOUS.

Fake Edit: It was only uploaded 2 years ago; I've not fallen through time right?

This is just a friendly reminder that Shenmue III is actually happening. It was not a dream. This is reality. And we will one day be playing it.

... Feels so good.

Thanks for the reminder. Sometimes I think it was all a dream. A dream that cost me a significant amount of money but will be worth every penny. (I hope)

Falk

that puzzling face
Does anyone have any insight into how games get voted into this?

Classic FM's Hall of Fame is just a fan vote isn't it?

Good place to start to get more insight into this is 2015's fact breakdown.

Yes, it's vote-based, and yes, because of the nature of the Internet, results can and are skewed by which groups of people are more determined than others.

It doesn't take away from this achievement, though, with that context in mind.

There are literally tens of thousands of games out at this point. For any one game to make an award like this (popularity contest or not) is testament to both it as a work and the dedication of its community/fanbase.

That's really great news. Dare I say that the OST for the first game is possibly the greatest video game soundtrack of all time. It's about as evocative and memorable a score as you can ask for. We often talk about how atmospheric and immersive a game Shenmue is, and a big reason for that is the music.

Also, it's a sin that the second game never got an official OST release, even to this day.

Shenmue trully has some the best music in videogames and it's kind of sad it's so overlooked, even here on Gaf outside a vocal minority.

I mean, how can you not just love music like this?

Shenmue trully has some the best music in videogames and it's kind of sad it's so overlooked, even here on Gaf outside a vocal minority.

I mean, how can you not just love music like this?

Maybe when the Shenmue HD Collection comes out, we'll finally get a proper release of 2's soundtrack, instead of having to resort to Youtube rips.

so1337

Well deserved. The main theme alone is a masterpiece. There aren't many pieces of music that are recognizable and set the tone within the first 5 notes.

yN0X56z.jpg

Before anyone thinks things like "When's Streets of Rage going to enter this list?" you have two types of game that can appear on this list:
-Had the budget for a live orchestra soundtrack as its original soundtrack
-Had an arranged version recorded by a live orchestra

Thabass

Congratulations to that team. What an unbelievable soundtrack that was.

Baring that in mind, I was always a little disappointed to see the certain tracks were left out. The one's that come to mind are the what have been titled "FREE" tracks. These tracks are the songs you'd hear when exploring the areas in Yokosuka:

Shenmue FREE (Complete)

These are some of my favorite songs in the OST, but are left out for some reason.

Top Bottom