• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shift 2 EA Comparison Video (Forza 3 & GT5)

This is not unlike the Bulletstorm ad. "Boring...boring...boring....decelerate to turn, SO REAL."

The only thing that really seems different is the FOV.

Gowans

They are showing off the best of their game against the big competitors tho, I like it, it's all good competition.

Yeah they aren't comparing features, gameplay etc but this vid works well, really gets across that speed feeling.

I'm interested now but only as long as the gameplay lives up to is and offers something different from the other big two which I have still to play more of.

amar212

Problem is that this video is intentionally misleading.

For all 3 games to be honest.

Is shows Forza in bad light.

It shows GT5 in the worst light (BGM, wtf??)

And Shift 2 looks like it is a pile-up destruction derby with LSD-propelled lunatic behind the wheel and his eyeballs attached to capture-card .

Classy marketing of course, they've learned from the best it seems.

skyfinch

Maybe they should be comparing their game to Forza 4. I'm sure Turn 10 has made some improvements.
Plus, doesn't Shift 2 run at 30fps? I'll take 60fps in my racing game over some bouncy helmet cam any day of of the week.

Frawdder

Can't stand the fact that they think realistic is blurring your vision on anything that isn't directly out the front windscreen. Too bad if I wanted to take a glance at the dashboard/gauges in anything higher than second gear.

Dibbz

lol I like the way they completely dubbed sound right over the Shit 2 footage.

You can hear the car reving when you can see the dial on the car actually slowing down.

Stay classy.

'Hey guys! Our upcoming game looks better than a 2 year-old game! Buy it!'

I can still check the weight shift in my wheels while I'm driving, right?

EDIT: Did they also just not bother driving when playing FM3 and GT5?

cnizzle06

Banned
I imagine a heroine addict with his chin hovering over the steering wheel, shaking violently, racing towards his next fix when I see the Shift interface.

jambo

That head turning stuff is interesting, hope it has an adjustment setting or the ability to disable it.

cnizzle06 said:
I imagine a heroine addict with his chin hovering over the steering wheel, shaking violently, racing towards his next fix when I see the Shift interface.
xD

Yeah this ad is going to backfire pretty badly.
Taking cheap shots at gt5 and forza showing some bad driving in both to top it off.

TheExodu5

Banned
That first clip looks insanely good. There's no way the lighting is actually that good in the game. I swear it looks real to me.

The second Shift clip, on the other hand, doesn't look nearly that good.

edit: I'm an idiot...the first clip is Live Action.

I'm going to say exactly what came to mind watching that

Real footage - yeah it's real, cam stuck to helmet stuff.
Forza 3 - much smoother ride little to no driver reactions, stiff driver.
GT5 - much more movement, completely different car however.
Shift 2 - I was expecting this to look like the real footage but the only similarities are that the drivers head is being thrown around, visuals look just as clean as F3 and GT5, no dirt on the windows or on the cars, they look like they just been freshly waxed.

So um... what was this about again?

nib95

Banned
GT5's looks by far the best. Shift 2's is too jerky and I'm really not liking the excessive blur or pull back. I get that it's trying to emulate braking and accelerating, but it's too excessive.

nib95

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Their reasoning is that it forces you to focus on the road ahead and your rivals.

But you do that when racing in racing games anyway. Your vision automatically focuses on the road and blurs out the dash. Then when you want to focus on the dash you can. It's idiotic to not give you the choice and just permanently have the excessive blur.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
lol, I was so prepared to have my face melted off and then I saw that blurry cockpit. What a joke.

big_z

i was expecting much better from shift 2 considering all the hype and promo renders. this doesnt look anything like the real footage and wtf with the constant zooming in effect.

saladine1

It's a pretty shitty comparison to be honest but that's what marketing is all about.

Apparentely, the 'normal' cockpit view doesn't feature the blur.
I also agree that the G-force simulation (brake/accelerate) is overdone.
I don't understand why there aren't any options for fine tuning those effects. I mean, PC racers have been doing that for years, especially given the fact that SMS comes from a PC sim racer background..

Not sure if I like the blurring or not but it definitely looks more exciting than either Forza 3 or GT5.

If I'm going to bother buying any racing game this year before F1 2011 comes out, it'll be this one.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
RSTEIN said:
lol, I was so prepared to have my face melted off and then I saw that blurry cockpit. What a joke.

yeah lol

... GT 5 and FM3 came out on top in that video, Shift looks a bit I dunno, excessive and that pop forward shit is annoying..

Also, DAT FM3 sound.

When the Shift 2 cockpit shook and blurred, I felt like I was in that vehicle. Like I was right fucking there, like I was transported to the tarmac. This is the next evolution of cockpit realism...a revolution, even.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
They all looks like crap. None of the cockpit views in these 3 games realistically portray what the drivers see whilst in the drivers seat.

Until they get it right I will just play bumper cam baby.

gunther

nib95 said:
GT5's looks by far the best. Shift 2's is too jerky and I'm really not liking the excessive blur or pull back. I get that it's trying to emulate braking and accelerating, but it's too excessive.

Its not excessive its EXTREEEMEEE!!

nib95

Banned
This video just saddens me. Fact that my copy of GT5 is still stuck in my old dead PS3 whilst my G25 mounted on my WSP sits right in-front of me....arghhh....

I like that they intentionally left GT5s cluttered HUD on, so they could imply Shift 2 was the only one with a hudless racing option.

FoxSpirit

TheExodu5 said:
That first clip looks insanely good. There's no way the lighting is actually that good in the game. I swear it looks real to me.

The second Shift clip, on the other hand, doesn't look nearly that good.

edit: I'm an idiot...the first clip is Live Action.

Yeah, it first I thought: damn, if they manage this kind of lighting, who needs next gen. Then it slowly dawned: "Live Action". Hahahaha >.<

Top Bottom