• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shift 2 EA Comparison Video (Forza 3 & GT5)

Haunted

Couldn't see shit in Shift 2, just like a real driver.

Still, you did a good job NFS branding department.

Varth

Gowans007 said:
haha I just noticed the big text at the bottom

NOT FOR DISTRIBUTION

is this meant to be public?

I guess they changed their mind, or maybe someone f'd up. It's been available as a sort of (LOL, yeah) "review aid" for days, and it was clearly stated (in bold and underscore, no less) FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION ONLY, NO ONLINE POSTING WHATSOEVER.

saladine1

Varth said:
I guess they changed their mind, or maybe someone f'd up. It's been available as a sort of (LOL, yeah) "review aid" for days, and it was clearly stated (in bold and underscore, no less) FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION ONLY, NO ONLINE POSTING WHATSOEVER.
I thought that was the case. It didn't really look like a 'top tier' video EA would like to show the world..

mrklaw

MrArseFace
KKRT00 said:
Shift 2 has less aliasing than GT 5 [720p 4x MSAA] - yeah right.

And that comparison is just a joke, really pathetic joke, especially first live part with camera angles and shakes.
This is how it looks like
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ubc62Td1VTQ

no, thats what it looks like with a camera mounted on a hard point.

I actually prefer the head mounted camera.

Its a disappointing video. I was looking forward to the shift version as you know that both Forza and GT have fairly static/smooth cameras in-car, plus its a loaded video by the publisher. But it looked way too 'gamey'. Ridiculous braking/acceleration effects. the rest of the movement was ok, but still a little too violent/jerky.

Spookie

Not sure I can go another round with Shift. The in car cam gives me motion sickness the moment it gets past 100 MPH. It doesn't look improved this time around only made, as someone already said, more XTREME.

WrikaWrek said:
Well it certainly makes Forza 3 and Gt5 look like shit from that perspective.

And the sense of speed is amazing,
Yeah I like that it seems fast. Maybe it's just cos of the 200 hours I've put in to F1 2010, but now everything seems so slow and boring. Forza 3 and GT5 look like they're driving at 60mph. Zzzz.

mrwilt

yikes! that helmet cam is waaayyy over done. I like the way the view turns when entering a corner, but hate the forward and back motion when on the brakes and gas.

ACH1LL3US

skyfinch said:
Maybe they should be comparing their game to Forza 4. I'm sure Turn 10 has made some improvements.
Plus, doesn't Shift 2 run at 30fps? I'll take 60fps in my racing game over some bouncy helmet cam any day of of the week.

That would be true for the console version. But on the PC one can run Shift 2 at 60FPS and just like Shift 1 we will be able to remove that stupid blur in the cockpit when going at speed :p

offshore

Helmet cam isn't the only interior cam though is it? Isn't there a more stable interior view like GT5/FM3...or have I got it wrong?

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
That FOV focus changing in NFSSU is jarring

It's like the screen keeps pulling in and out, to give you the sense of speed

Example: Take Call Of Duty, keep zooming in with L1 and go ADS but just keep tapping L1 frequently will equal the effect I see on the screen with NFSSU

markao

offshore said:
Helmet cam isn't the only interior cam though is it? Isn't there a more stable interior view like GT5/FM3...or have I got it wrong?
No, the old cockpit view cam is still there, helmet cam is an new additional view.

jax (old)

Banned
A) pc version vs console franchises (imo) - so the comparison is a bit disingenuous...

B) I never bought GT5 but the flickering shadow in the cockpit = HORRIBLE. Yuck!

blerg. Prefer Ridge Racer anyhow. Sims are... so boring.

GenericUser

EA has put out a comparison video of Shift 2's cockpit racing

yeah, cool, and now put out this 30+ extra fps that will make the game playable.

no, really, this 30fps racing sims are pissing me off. I really need the smoothness - at least - 60 fps. I think it makes a huge difference and i am not willing to sacrifice this just for better graphics.

but on a second thought ... maybe for 20 euros, its worth a try ;)

Donos

missed the "live action" writing and thought the first part was nfs. I was like "uhm...ok this looks fucking real.NFS shift2 PC version BOUGHT!" then came the real nfs....looks... ok. I don't like the zoom in/out while breaking. little overdone.also the blur. action looks good.

saladine1

To be honest, I think that SHIFT has the best 'motor racing feel' of any current racer out there 30fps or not.
The actual experience of racing is lacking in both GT and FM. Sure, their driving models are great but as a racer... not so good.

Initially, the physics of SHIFT 1 was strange. It wasn't until about an hour after tweaking the settings of the wheel and in game options did it feel much,much better coupled with the patch they released. I really enjoyed the racing soon after especially when the 'works' package was applied to a car.

But the sad thing in my previous statement was that I needed a fucking hour to get it feeling right which is totally unacceptable. I hope this time it's better setup right out of the box or they're going to get the same complaints they did from the first game.

nib95

Banned
Dilly said:
Why do people still expect a 60FPS game on consoles these days?

Racing games are an exception. They really need to be 60fps tbh. At least the simulation one's anyway.

Dilly

Banned
nib95 said:
Racing games are an exception. They really need to be 60fps tbh. At least the simulation one's anyway.

And consoles are still able to pull that off while outputting graphics reasonable for 2011?

zoukka

nib95 said:

Not really. In racing games your eyes are on the road and it's corners, constantly following the change in its shape. It's not like you need to react to a few frame attack animations or something.

nib95

Banned
zoukka said:
Not really. In racing games your eyes are on the road and it's corners, constantly following the change in its shape. It's not like you need to react to a few frame attack animations or something.

No, but you need to make exceptional finite adjustments to control to shave off not seconds, but mili seconds all too often.

Mobius 1

Still don't give two shifts about EA's approach to the cockpit dynamics. To me it's just superficial rubbish the actual driving experience.

Game looks interesting though, will buy.

Arklite

The game looks nice, but the way the driver seems to drastically pull back and forth and shake everywhere makes it seem like you're a camera with a cockpit overlay instead of being in the machine.

heyf00L

Well that definitely goes a long way towards helping you feel the speed. But the biggest thing racing games need is a way to feel or sense the traction of your tires around a turn.

jett

D-Member
30fps racers are an abomination. EA should probably cut all that blurry crap and pump the framerate to an appropriate number. PC version ftw I guess.

cakefoo

People are actually impressed by the Shift footage? Have they only every played Ridge Racer and Mario Kart? Cars don't control or feel anything like this.

Lyon

Looks ridiculous, totally over the top helmet cam, that disgusting dash blur returns and the physics look as bat shit insane as they ever were. If that vid did anything it was sell GT5 to me.

BeeDog

I think they've done a valiant attempt to simulate G-force and intensity, and I honestly think Shift 2 looks great, but in the end, if the game handles like Shift 1, it's all for naught since it simply won't be fun to drive the cars.

Goldrusher

When racing a car, you see what you see when playing GT5 or Forza 3, not what you see in Shift.
That's what a camera sees.

Our brain on the other hand filters out the movements and vibrations, and syncs our vision with the movements of our body, resulting in a smooth, stable image.

What Shift does is unnatural and nauseating.

JWong

Banned
Some people might dig the whole driver head thing, but they need to address the amount of cars they had in Shift 1. Do they have a lot more cars now?

Goldrusher said:
When racing a car, you see what you see when playing GT5 or Forza 3, not what you see in Shift.
That's what a camera sees.

Our brain on the other hand filters out the movements and vibrations, and syncs our vision with the movements of our body, resulting in a smooth, stable image.

What Shift does is unnatural and nauseating.
yes, our spongy body and neck remove half of that jutter unless the car went over a dead animal or something, what shift 2 is doing there is playing like a camera is on the drivers head vibrating everywhere.

Forza 3 imo is still too smooth but GT5 has it good going by that comparison video :p lol EA.

Also in real life the car windshields get dirty, did EA add that in?

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Ahaha, that really should not have been released. The fuck is up with the weird ass zoom in/zoom out camera movements as well?

Top Bottom