• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shigeru Miyamoto didnt like Donkey Kong Countrey!?!?

AniHawk

shuri said:
DKC > modern shiggy offering. The man has lost his touch

The man hasn't been really making games since Ocarina of Time. Pikmin was the last game he directed as far as I know, but that was made in what, 8 months (or so)?

ge-man

He didn't even direct Pikmin. He was the producer (but I believe it was based on his own concept). The directors were Shigefumi Hino and Masamichi Abe. The people who say that Miyamoto is a has been or lost his touch need to realize that he hasn't directed anything since 98 (he was an unoffical director on OOT).

AniHawk

ge-man said:
He didn't even direct Pikmin. He was the producer (but I believe it was based on his own concept). The directors were Shigefumi Hino and Masamichi Abe. The people who say that Miyamoto is a has been or lost his touch need to realize that he hasn't directed anything since 98 (he was an unoffical director on OOT).

I thought he was one of the three official directors on Ocarina of Time.

ge-man

I have to dig up the info but I'm sure he's not listed in theat capacity. It doesn't matter much after reading Aonuma's description of Miyamoto's role in that game in a recent interview. He took a hands off approach in the beginning, but then got heavily involved half through the game because of its importance and his feeling that the development was going too slow. So even if he isn't listed, there's acknowlegement of him being quite involved in that project. I don't it has been the same this generation just because of the sheer number of titles they have had him oversee.

Miyamoto said:
"Donkey Kong Country proves that players will put up with mediocre gameplay as long as the art is good."

Thumbs up for Miyamoto. DKC was a really simple, shallow platformer that was good as a completely forgettable rental and little else. Yoshi's Island, on the other hand, was the pinnacle of Nintendo's design ingenuity in the 16-bit era, and is possibly the best 2D platformer ever made. Plus, World 3 did monkeys better than all of DKC combined. Where in DKC was an experience similar to the World 4-4 castle, or the Raphael Raven fight?

But, but Drinky Crow ...THE UNDERWATER MUSIC IS SO GOOD!

I've never figured out what was so good about that music. A lot of DKC fans seem to think it's the second coming of Christ.

In any case, DKC2 was okay. Okay!!! But DKC1 is hardly a game and DKC3 is terrible.

I honestly think DKC is a fun game. Infact I was playing DKC on the SF a few weeks ago. And I found myself spending a good deal of time with it. I will say though that it was more the visuals and music that added to the experience.

JackFrost2012 said:
I've never figured out what was so good about that music. A lot of DKC fans seem to think it's the second coming of Christ.

I can see how people could like a few of the tunes, but the claims about it blowing away all other 16-bit soundtracks are really, really pushing it. Then again, so are the claims about it looking and playing better than everything else at the time, so I guess I shouldn't be so surprised.

element

im personally kinda shocked at all the strong hate for DKC. I remember loving the game back so many years ago, but I was 15 or 16 at the time.

i think there are some elitist attitudes and some anti-Rare motivation in this thread.

scola said:
And newsflash to all the haters Mario Sunshine is a good game

Newsflash to all of the delusional Nintendo fans: Just because RARE no longer makes games for Nintendo consoles does not mean that the previous games they made are any worse because of this fact. Donkey Kong Country did not receive rave reviews across the board just for its nice graphics. Stop deluding yourselves, DKC was an excellent game.

i think there are some elitist attitudes and some anti-Rare motivation in this thread.

Newsflash to all of the delusional Nintendo fans: Just because RARE no longer makes games for Nintendo consoles does not mean that the previous games they made are any worse because of this fact.

Of course! It couldn't be that some of us just truly dislike the game. Everything everyone says has to have an ulterior motive or some sort of fanboy bias.

Well, that'd make sense if not for the fact that I own and actually liked Grabbed by the Ghoulies of all games. Next conspiracy theory, please!

Hey, I said "Newsflash to all of the delusional Nintendo fans". My post was a generalisation. Aside from that, looking it objectively, do you think DKC is a shit game, or that it's just not to your tastes?

Alcibiades

While I am bitter about the Rare situation and hate them at the moment for what they did (like not really completing games for Nintendo thereby allowing for their sale, etc...), it would not matter at all cause Nintendo retained the rights to the series anyway and already has ports of the series on GBA for release (my guess is they were completed at Rare before the buyout)...

If anything, I would WANT this series to still be rockin', but in all honesty, the games haven't dated well and the gameplay isn't really timeless... the good parts were somewhat the music and the character design...

I think the main problem with the game (even though I LOVED it back in the day) is that the "secrets" and "full completion" part seem more tedious than even the "collect-a-thons" (which I geniunely enjoyed in Banjo-Kazooie)...

Finding secrets in DKC involved taking risks with lives, pretty sucky if you ask me, and a lot of them involved pits and stuff...

that said, I think Rare has put out some awesome games (Jet Force Gemini, GoldenEye, etc..) and that can never be taken away, the question is how their games have aged...

GoldenEye is still relatively popular in some circles (not among this forum which notices graphics to a greater extent than the regular population)...

that said, DKC sold well on GBA even though it looks pretty trashy (IMO) because the rendered graphics for the characters aren't the showcase they were on the SNES...

efralope said:
I think the main problem with the game (even though I LOVED it back in the day) is that the "secrets" and "full completion" part seem more tedious than even the "collect-a-thons" (which I geniunely enjoyed in Banjo-Kazooie)...

Finding secrets in DKC involved taking risks with lives, pretty sucky if you ask me, and a lot of them involved pits and stuff...

That's because Rare pretty much invented the collectathon, and at the time it was a new, fresh and original idea. After playing the countless collectathons that came after it, it should be no surprise that this element is tedious now.

Alcibiades

element said:
what did they do? Asked to be bought out 100% or be sold? doesn't sound too bad to me.

delay, delay, delay...

I'm sure if their output was more consistent Nintendo would not have sold them...

If there had been good progress on the Donkey Kong Racing game I'm sure the situation would be different...

maybe it's because I dream of a Diddy Kong Racing re-release someday (which CANNOT happen with Rare holding the rights to all the characters except Diddy), but I really wanted to see what they did with that Donkey Kong Racing game... :(

Alcibiades

Optimistic said:
That's because Rare pretty much invented the collectathon, and at the time it was a new, fresh and original idea. After playing the countless collectathons that came after it, it should be no surprise that this element is tedious now.

well, in a sense the DK64 collect-a-thon was a bit much for me (didn't finish the game, got about 1/2 way), but Banjo Kazooie I loved...

what I'm saying is that going back to Banjo Kazooie isn't too bad (I actually played through, collecting 100%, this game several times), while with DKC, finding the 100% really isn't fun considering how barrels and exits have to be found...

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I enjoyed all 3 DKC games....at least enough to push through them and earn the coveted 101/102/103% grades for all three consecutively.

I've never had an interest to ever revisit any of them since the mid-90's mind you. But for the time, the graphics were excellent, the music fitting, and they *were* rather harmless jumping games. Lacking in creativity surely enough, but simple-minded fun.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Optimistic said:
Newsflash to all of the delusional Nintendo fans: Just because RARE no longer makes games for Nintendo consoles does not mean that the previous games they made are any worse because of this fact. Donkey Kong Country did not receive rave reviews across the board just for its nice graphics. Stop deluding yourselves, DKC was an excellent game.
I never said DKC was a bad game. I, if not love, thoughroly enjoy it and remember it fondly. Rare and their standing has nothing to do with how I view the game. I still think Yoshi's Island is a better game but that has nothing to do with rare-nintendo relationship, it has been my fave 2d platformer since the first day I played it (which wasn't untill the N64 era, I had already played the heck out of DKC DKC2 and enjoyed them both).

ourumov

The fact is that DKC is a very simple platfformer...Aside from graphics it doesn't have any feature that you find innovative...
But the whole package (graphics, music and simple gameplay) make it a great game.

Anyways I've always found that games like Sparkster or Yoshi's Island slap it on graphics...

Gattsu25

Banned
to be honest, i forgot all about the Nintendo fans newfound hatred of Rare

For those who remember, I was the one who always thought Rare sucked...even amidst all the N-fan rare circlejerks

The Miyamoto quote in question is the most negative thing I've ever seen attributed to him. When I interviewed him a year ago, I had just been playing Star Fox Adventures and tried to get him to say SOMETHING bad about it. The most he would admit was that the collectathon bullshit was 'a little extreme.'

Just to be fair, I looked up my old review of DKC that I wrote when the game came out and I actually had the same problems with it then that I do now - way too short, sacrifices gameplay for graphics, is no real substitute for Mario games, etc. I liked the minecarts and the music. I was impressed with the graphics.

But I have no nostalgic love for it at all. What was fun to me when I was 14 isn't necessarily going to be fun now. And the graphics have not aged well - Yoshi's Island is timeless, but DKC's have dated.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Hehe, its interesting how my taste have changed since Donkey Kong Country was released. I'm 18 now, so I was about 8 when the original Donkey Kong Country came out. Back then I didn't have a problem with the gameplay or graphics, I thought the game was pretty good and enjoyed playing it with friends. Now that I look back on the game itself, its kinda simplistic and wouldn't be the least bit fun for me now. I sat down and played Super Mario World for 2 hours yesterday, just to go back to my gaming roots. THAT game is on a whole different level from DKC, and I can understand why Miyamoto didn't like what Rare had done with Donkey Kong Country.

Super Mario World and Yoshi's Island > Donkey Kong Country 1,2, and 3

I think this is just a case of a game aging horribly.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
>>>The only good things that came out of Rare where before their SNES days and Free Radical<<<

Free Radical's work has been pure shit.

Borat

Banned
Kobun Heat said:
The Miyamoto quote in question is the most negative thing I've ever seen attributed to him. When I interviewed him a year ago, I had just been playing Star Fox Adventures and tried to get him to say SOMETHING bad about it. The most he would admit was that the collectathon bullshit was 'a little extreme.'

Ah, you did that NOM interview? ;) To be honest, I think he's more of a PR these days. He's not gonna shout off like that again.

Borat said:
Ah, you did that NOM interview? ;) To be honest, I think he's more of a PR these days. He's not gonna shout off like that again.
Basically. He's the public face of Nintendo's game design. But actually he says that he's not an easy guy to work with, no matter what kind of Santa Claus public image he has. That was in the interview too.

He was laughing when I was trying to get him to come out and say that SFA was shit, though. You could tell he was holding back something.

DKC is a decent 2 hour time-waster - nowhere near the quality of Yoshi's Island or other Miyamoto games.

DKC2 is an improvement on the first and much more fun, IMO. Some decent gameplay was added, challenge was introduced, and the game was given about an extra hour of length. Still nowhere near the likes of YI, but a real improvement over DKC1. This was also the beginning of Rare's "collect-lots-of-shit-to-increase-longevity" gameplay theory.

DKC3 was just stupid. NOTHING had changed from DKC2, except the introduction of the Brothers Bear and the Banana Fairies. These were no more than boring fetch quests tacked onto an already boring main quest. There was no need for this game.

DK64 felt like Rare unloaded every possible platformer idea they could think of into one game, and it just didn't work. Going through 8 worlds with five characters multiple times to collect the same crap FIVE TIMES is NOT fun. Forcing you to complete the original Donkey Kong not once but TWICE, just to finish the game isn't a fun little throwback to eras past, it's an exercise in frustration.

With crap like this and SFA, it always makes me question why Nfans cried over the loss of Rare in the first place...

Oh, and Mario 64's water music >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> DKC's.

As a Sega fan back in the day, I was impressed w/ DKC's technical aspects (graphics and sound were quite good) and played the game quite a bit at a friend's house. I liked the game somewhat, but the near perfect review scores it recieved were a bit much. GFX and SFX deserved it, but the gameplay wasn't all that special, hell I liked Boogerman better.

YI I never really played. All the praise here makes me want to take it for a spin. I always liked it's weird/cool graphics design.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
One of the realy cool things that YI has over DKC was the boss battles. The boss fights are so inventive and smile inducing in YI. If anything they are criminally short, but they totally spank DKC boss fights.

If you think giant buzzard head that pokes out of the left and right side of the screen is > than Sluggy the Unshaven then you are dead to me.

I was a hardcore platform junkie bakc in the day, but when I first saw DKC, it instanly turned me off. I just didn't like the style, but gave it a shot cuz the whold world was loving it, and it turned out to play just as blandly as it looked. So it's a bit validating to hear people finally realize the was indeed overrated. Welcome to the party guys!

Also, I was always pissed that one of the best 16 -bit platformers came out at the same time and didn't get nearly as much recognition: Sonic & Knuckles. I got a ton of flack from the pre-NeoGAF, but I still say it, loud and produ: Sonic & Knuckles is a Far Superior Game Than Donkey Kong Conutry

Top Bottom