• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shigeru Miyamoto thinks Star Fox is the most underrated Wii U game

Sure, he's technically right but this game doesn't exist in vacuum and is part of long running series. So while that may be true for kids I don't think really hold up for anybody else.
Also, boring "out of touch" comments with defensive Nintendo fans are coming.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
oh boy, prepare...

For what? Basking in my rightness?

Look at how many people in this thread have misread "overlooked" as "most underrated" because the OP copied the misleading article title. He simply says Star Fox (in his opinion) has been overlooked (not even the most overlooked) and is fun to play. What's wrong with that? But nah, he's out of touch and should move on or whatever.

He should just admit that they messed up by not including traditional controls like in Star Fox 64.

Edit: I also agree that The Wonderful 101 is the most overlooked WiiU game (for several reasons).

Dunkley

Without preconceived notions you could also be fooled into thinking that Sticker Star is a great Paper Mario game.

Beartruck

Playing sides like this is silly.

Yeah, there are sides. Because there's definitely a large chunk of players who think Wonderful 101 is a mediocre game that has garbage Gamepad controls but who also think that Star Fox has immersive and enjoyable controls.

That'd be me, except my problem with 101 is that when action gets too hectic, the game basically devolves to you constantly running around in a panic trying to gather all your guys that have been scattered due to an errant enemy attack.

A lot of people really disliked Demons Souls controls when it was released and criticised it for being unresponsive.

There's that famous Gamespot(?) review of that PS1 Aliens game where they described standard dual analogue setup as "terrifying".

There's that Eurogamer review of Resident Evil 4 Wii where they say the wiimote + pointer controls are wobbly fuzzy shit compared to the precision of the GC / PS2 versions.

To this day if you look hard enough you'll find someone on a message board who'll claim to be able to pwn anyone on a mouse and keyboard with a controller in an FPS.

Shit, just the MGS series refusal to swap X and O in the Western versions because they hardcoded the Japanese placement annoyed many.

He's not wrong that a lot of people don't have the time or inclination to learn new input schemes; the only argument is whether that is the fault of the designer not catering to the audience they work for, or the fault of the audience for not having an open enough mind.
There are examples either way.

I mean, this woul all make sense if the controls weren't flat out worse in star fox. You would have a good point if every shooter and action game were going to take the controls of star fox (alien riff)

But to be fair, Nintendo has been bad controls since the wii in 06, we are clearly use to it or over it (not playng their games)

They include good controls in some games like mario kart but some games are made to control with waggle in the first place and doesn't matter if they have controller support or not.

He should just admit that they messed up by not including traditional controls like in Star Fox 64.
honetly woldn't matter, levels and other things have too much pad in them to have an easy transition, levels are still a bit borked too. You need levels designed around the camera angle and controls of the regular pad to make it feel right and fun. More open levels isn't the way either, you need more parts of the level to dive into, around and such

I thought it was pretty great. Like Assault, it's a flawed game that doesn't have a patch on SF64---the motion controls ensure it misses the heights of that game's "pick up and play" nature--but I liked what it was trying to do. I'd love to see them build upon what worked about it.

Pikmin 3 is the Wii U's masterpiece, although I wish I could share Bill's sentiment on Bingo Battle; I've barely played it since I don't nearly have the time to have friends over these days. If it couldn't have had online, I wish there was a CPU option.

DrWong

This thread fits perfectly my preconceived notion of a Miyamoto baching GAF thread. So predictable, so cheap "good post".

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
He's rapidly becoming the Spielberg of gaming.

Gartooth

Funny that there's talks about SF0 and W101 in here together, since my opinion is pretty much the same on both. I think there's a good game hidden in there but the unintuitive mechanics completely destroy my enjoyment making me wonder if the game was designed for human supercomputers. Granted I love Kid Icarus Uprising even though I can't play it for more than an hour.

Mesoian

It's not. Wonderful 101 is the most underrated WiiU game.

2013 GOTY right there, no one ever played it and the press panned it because the controls were "difficult".

ibrahima

Banned
Wasn't Miyamoto fond of Wii Music? The guy's a genius and clearly responsible for some amazing things in his career, but I'm not sure he's got his finger on the pulse anymore.

Broritos

I think Star Fox Zero is actually going to become that game that will be lauded for in the future. People will buy Wii U's just so they could play games like Star Fox Zero. Just like how people buy any other old system to play classics.

Star Fox Zero will be that game, among other Wii U exclusives.

Wasn't he already called that when Mario 64 came out?

I guess they're both similar in that they've brought us so much amazing shit that defined many childhoods and beyond for the past three decades, but now at a much older age they may not have that grip anymore. Curse them!

Man, sometimes he sounds as arrogant as an amateur developer on Steam Greenlight. When your game controls bad, it controls bad. If people don't like it, that's their opinion and have every right to have it.
Admit you fucked up and move on.

skypunch

Banned
I think Star Fox Zero is actually going to become that game that will be lauded for in the future. People will buy Wii U's just so they could play games like Star Fox Zero. Just like how people buy any other old system to play classics.

Lol

I guess they're both similar in that they've brought us so much amazing shit that defined many childhoods and beyond for the past three decades, but now at a much older age they may not have that grip anymore. Curse them!
Just because they brought us amazing experiences doesn't mean their new work can't be criticized

Vire

Miyamoto continuing his trend of jealousy over the Donkey Kong Country franchise.

Literally nothing has changed over twenty years.

LordRaptor

I mean, this woul all make sense if the controls weren't flat out worse in star fox.

I haven't played it, I don't know.
They're divisive though - I know people whose opinions I trust who really like them and have stated they bring more to the table than a standard SF64 layout could ever have done after an initial learning curve is surmounted.

Killyoh

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaah probably not.

Vena

I wonder how many people will just post something rather silly because they only read the title which has little to do with what Miyamoto actually said...

kunonabi

Wasn't Miyamoto fond of Wii Music? The guy's a genius and clearly responsible for some amazing things in his career, but I'm not sure he's got his finger on the pulse anymore.

Wii Music was excellent as long as you understood that it was by no means supposed to be Nintendo's Rock Band. If the game was branded like the Art Academy series and released on the Wii U with Miiverse sharing and the like it probably would been received much better.

Steveo

Banned
Why does Miyamoto think people don't have time to play deep experiences anymore when stuff like DOTA2, League, The Witcher 3, Skyrim, are crazy popular yet soak up dozens of hours?

Crayolan

You know if another dev said this about their game with mixed reception, it would probably be relentlessly and unequivocally mocked.

But because it's Miyamoto, some people will swallow this nonsense right up and then parrot it in other threads until the end of time.

Yay.

Did you miss the part where people now despise Miyamoto because he "ruins" every game he's a part of?

His words will be twisted and mocked plenty.

killroy87

Shigeru Miyamoto is out of touch, and that´s very sad.

Sadly, that was my first thought when I read that too. I feel like he imagines the world to be that of a Studio Ghibli film, where a kid's idea of fun is batting a hoop down the street with a stick.

I love Miyamoto, he's my all time favorite person in the games industry, but I'm not sure he's entirely still "with it".

...regardless of your opinion of Star Fox Zero, I do think preconceived notions have hurt a number of games, and I think they're one of the reasons new IP's are so uncommon.

Why does Miyamoto think people don't have time to play deep experiences anymore when stuff like DOTA2, League, The Witcher 3, Skyrim, are crazy popular yet soak up dozens of hours?

He talks about replaying single-player games. Going for New Game+, Second Quest or something is still not what most gamers do.

It's not THAT bad a game....but it deserved some of the criticism it got,i wouldn't call it underrated as it just didn't reach expectations.

Fewr

In response to this Miyamoto added, “Pikmin is the kind of game that you have to play maybe three times to get the full effect, but you know, people don’t have a lot of time, so they just clear the stage and just move on. Games are becoming more of a consumable product, and it’s getting harder and harder for people to let a game to sink in and enjoy leisurely.”
Sigh, so true, and I'm guilty of this. The FOMO malaise of our current era.

Top Bottom