• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Shigeru Miyamoto Wants to Create a Kinder World" New Yorker Interview

Miyamoto: It’s important for parents to play the games, to understand why the child can’t quit until reaching the next save point

oh, but they do play your games for kids, indeed. Even the ones without kids.

JLB

Banned
it-looks-like-nintendo-is-working-on-a-wii-music-sequel-140083740693.gif

this meme will never ever get old.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Evangelion Unit-01 Evangelion Unit-01 am I right to be somewhat upset about this? Shigeru Miyamoto only makes 1.7 million each year and has a net worth of 40 million....

Something has to be off, how can he only have earned that much, when he created several dozen characters that have heavily influenced gaming as a whole? He created Mario...Mario is probably the most famous character of all time, around the world. I thought I was going to see something crazy like 800 million or that he alone made 17 million dollars off Mario and Yoshi plushies alone this decade...

He’s well off and rich as hell, and money isn’t all that important in the grand scheme of things, but I’m totally confused as to how this legend hasn’t amassed hundreds of millions off of royalties alone

Bragr

Banned
Evangelion Unit-01 Evangelion Unit-01 am I right to be somewhat upset about this? Shigeru Miyamoto only makes 1.7 million each year and has a net worth of 40 million....

Something has to be off, how can he only have earned that much, when he created several dozen characters that have heavily influenced gaming as a whole? He created Mario...Mario is probably the most famous character of all time, around the world. I thought I was going to see something crazy like 800 million or that he alone made 17 million dollars off Mario and Yoshi plushies alone this decade...

He’s well off and rich as hell, and money isn’t all that important in the grand scheme of things, but I’m totally confused as to how this legend hasn’t amassed hundreds of millions off of royalties alone
Japan is very different than USA in that regard, the company gets the earnings, even if his work have produced billions for Nintendo.

Fredrik

What a legend ❤️

I like his ideas, negativity and hate feeds negativity and hate so I wish devs wouldn’t spend so much time making violence look more real and brutal and instead focused on inventing new gameplay ideas that makes people happy and don’t end with brutal death scenes and chopped heads and limbs.

I’m turning 45, back in my youth there were a lot more big games without human kills (those filthy space aliens certainly got us trigger happy though) but now if feels like it’s mostly smaller indie titles that go that route. Like Ori and Astrobot etc. As a parent the result is that I have to hide from the family when I play AAA games or have to play late at night when everyone is asleep. It’s getting tiresome.

But I really don’t like Nintendo’s current focus on weak portable hardware though. I’d love to see the Mario Galaxy team go bananas and create something cool for a beastly powerful box!

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief

It's not too unusual. Thats how most creatives work. When he invented Mario, Zelda, etc he was working for Nintendo so they own all of the properties. It's similar to Stan Lee at Marvel-they're salary employees and can't collect royalties because they don't own the characters they create. Its also a situation where neither Nintendo nor Miyamoto knew that he would go on to create something as big as Mario-he was just a normal employee at one point. Most Nintendo execs don't make a ton of money; they could probably negotiate higher salaries but I think they are the type people that genuinely love what they do and make more than enough to live very comfortably. Now if he ever decided to go work for Sony or Microsoft I'm sure he could negotiate royalties on whatever he created. Usually when royalties are involved its when a creator shops a property he/she has created independently out to a studio or when a well regarded creative is moving to a new company/role.

kindness is fine, frailty is not good

miyamoto is a damned legend, hard to slight him for wanting a better world
Well said.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Nintendo is... different. Maybe it’s an old-school Japanese philosophy, but it reminds me of a family business in that each employee puts the business above themselves, and considers it their pride and joy.

That’s why you have so many lifers at the company. So many people that could switch, and get an instant huge payday, but consider what they’re building to be more important. Or something like the execs all taking massive cuts when the Wii U was in trouble, to minimally effect the company and jobs, when you don’t really see that kind of thing in the west.

I 100% believe Miyamoto would rather that capital went to Nintendo, for business opportunities, investments, and lean times. At this point, he’s had such a transformative effect on it that it’s also less his employer, and more his baby, his life’s work and contribution to the world.

kyussman

Yea,Nintendo games don't appeal to me personally.....but it's great to have a child/family friendly company like them around.They are a great entry point into video games too,which the industry needs.

There we go again with seats for the elderly. I agree with it but you can't possibly know if a young person has a reason to be on that seat. I've seen plenty of old people acting entitled and appearing more healthy than the young ones. If they really need that seat, nothing stops them from asking for it. You don't know if the young person or any other age has any disability themselves, if they feel comfortable on trains or what they're going through. Maybe stop assuming, Miyamoto-san? "I don't want to be annoying but I'm totally going to assume that whoever doesn't jump and give me the seat because I'm old is not a kind person".
They're old. It hurts to move. Let them fucking sit down. He's not talking about crippled young people here.

You can assume certain things about an old person lol.

Top Bottom