• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shilling an actually good informative channel on modern rendering technologies and such.

TrueLegend

Many of you have trolled me in various threads on words like photorealism and like. Often this was done by many people to derail many threads into console wars by misquoting me again and again. But I am not here to rant, I am very happy with the new sticky.....so here I have posted one of the good videos by a really good channel to educate yourself on rendering technologies and results that we can achieve today. So the next time you quote or even insult me you can at least put some effort into it. There are many good videos in this channel to understand advancement in graphics and the direction of change and the needs and desires of masses associated with those changes.

Kuranghi

I love Doctor Ka-roh-joh-na-a-fe-hey! Thats how I hear his name every time even though I have seen it written down and literally have a Hungarian flatmate, Magyar is hard for me even after all these years.

Two minute papers is ace though mate aye, I really enjoy watching these.

battlefield 1 time GIF

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
One of the best channels on the youtube.

Now, how much post till the Driveeclub was better than real life

Guilty_AI

Love the channel, and I wonder when we see any advanced/ai stuff in games beyond Spiderman's muscle deformation.
I know FS2020 uses machine-learning tech to make the 3D buildings that aren't present in the photogrammetry data of bing.
There's also DLSS, which is even in the name.

EDIT: Oh, there's also Drivatars in forza games, which use player data to simulate NPC drivers behaviours.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Can we also ban "daddy yelled at all of you, so I'm gonna pout and say I told you so! Neener neener neener!" posts?

I don't know the drama that OP is mentioning/engaging in, but just link the channel if you think it's good. This comes off as a touch pretentious and a touch precocious. Judging by the feedback, I don't think it's the GACHA! mic drop moment you had in your head.

Cool channel, though.

ripeavocado

Banned
Many of you have trolled me in various threads on words like photorealism and like. Often this was done by many people to derail many threads into console wars by misquoting me again and again. But I am not here to rant, I am very happy with the new sticky.....so here I have posted one of the good videos by a really good channel to educate yourself on rendering technologies and results that we can achieve today. So the next time you quote or even insult me you can at least put some effort into it. There are many good videos in this channel to understand advancement in graphics and the direction of change and the needs and desires of masses associated with those changes.

Very good channel I see but it's for actual scientists and people that care about science and engineering, not console wars and the hilarious "tech reviews" from the clowns at Digital Circus

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
OP be like:
1270292.gif

I wonder what the whitewashed Jynx police officer is doing now. It looks as if Nicki shooketh her to the core. Maybe some therapy? Maybe she fell into PTSD driven alcoholism and became a beat cop, delivering justice in her own way? Fighting the rotting evils of the modern world in the only way she knows how? An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth. #BackingDancerRedemptionArc
#NotAllCops

EDIT: Oh, there's also Drivatars in forza games, which use player data to simulate NPC drivers behaviours.
That's not really AI as far as I know, it was there early in the One lifespan, that relies on driving data, but my suspicion is that it uses a couple of points to give a driving profile similar enough to yours and marketing decided to call it AI (marketing like to use AI, cloud, etc. as buzz word)... it sounds more like a big data thing than anything (AI and big data or even just data are often mixed in together). if it was more than a simple script it would not run on last gen hardware.

There's also DLSS, which is even in the name.
Fair enough, but this is hardly ground breaking.
I know FS2020 uses machine-learning tech to make the 3D buildings that aren't present in the photogrammetry data of bing.
This is interesting, but I'm really only interested in the real-time aspect of it (animations, complex image generation, physics, enemy AI, whatever devs can think of)... that makes stuff that would be otherwise impossible (because too much computation or data would be needed for real-time effects). Data generated before the game runs could be done by artists, etc.

Guilty_AI

That's not really AI as far as I know, it was there early in the One lifespan, that relies on driving data, but my suspicion is that it uses a couple of points to give a driving profile similar enough to yours and marketing decided to call it AI (marketing like to use AI, cloud, etc. as buzz word)... it sounds more like a big data thing than anything (AI and big data or even just data are often mixed in together). if it was more than a simple script it would not run on last gen hardware.
Drivatars literally use neural networks, which is as much AI as it gets. Newer iterations started using player data for the training.

And the reason you see big data and AI mixed together is because they're basically complementary. Or rather, big data is only a thing because of AIs.

Fair enough, but this is hardly ground breaking.
Considering the kind of performance gains it can bring, i consider it a pretty big deal

This is interesting, but I'm really only interested in the real-time aspect of it (animations, complex image generation, physics, enemy AI, whatever devs can think of)... that makes stuff that would be otherwise impossible (because too much computation or data would be needed for real-time effects). Data generated before the game runs could be done by artists, etc.
So you'r telling me artists can make accurate models for every single building of the entire planet, along with the precise location of each one?

Last edited:
Top Bottom