• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin’en Working On 2nd-Generation Wii U Engine

wsippel

Banned
I wish Nintendo would make Shin'en there next rare! They have the tech down just like rare did back on nintendo systems and Nintendo could show these guys how to make some really great gameplay, plus there small and Nintendo likes small companys. Yes I know Shin'en has historicly only worked on nintendo systems.
Shin'en is less than a dozen dudes in a small office somewhere in Munich, usually working on two or three projects in parallel. In that way, they're small even compared to Monster Games, and outright tiny compared to something like Rare.

Also, while Shin'en is Nintendo exclusive, and has been forever, Abyss, their demoscene counterpart, isn't. Those guys know how to make all kinds of hardware sing.

antonz

Their new engine should be impressive because unlike early work on the WiiU everything is in order as far as tools etc. Early work on Wii U games was somewhat of a nightmare due to Nintendo not really being done with toolsets etc.

That goes for 3rd parties as well with ports they should have a much better time with the work this time around if they don't just do a dirty cashin

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
They could do it, and it would make sense for Nintendo to ask them.

Teams of passionate people, who love Nintendo IPs, ought to be given a shot at making an F-Zero/Metroid/Star Fox, seeing as Nintendo is just sitting on those IPs. A team of 5 people would be perfect. Yes, leave Mario and Zelda to the core Nintendo teams, because part of the love for those series is the fact that they are almost always good, but there are tons of IPs that Nintendo owns that just deserve to have new games, even at the risk of being slightly lackluster. Star Fox, for instance, isn't a series with any esteem outside of the core Nintendo fanbase.

Perhaps not Shin'en, but I'm sure there are teams around the globe that would give an arm and a leg to just have one opportunity to make a downloadable F-Zero title.

the reason i said its weird is because they are only 5 people, not nearly enough people to make the titles people on neogaf is demanding, atleast not to the production value they'd want

wsippel

Banned
Their new engine should be impressive because unlike early work on the WiiU everything is in order as far as tools etc. Early work on Wii U games was somewhat of a nightmare due to Nintendo not really being done with toolsets etc.

That goes for 3rd parties as well with ports they should have a much better time with the work this time around if they don't just do a dirty cashin
Their first generation engine was also running on a single core for the most part and was a forward renderer. And it was essentially a port of their 3DS engine if I remember correctly.

Man I wish Nintendo lifted the space limit on DSiWare to allow retail DS games (at least smaller ones) to be released digitally, I'd kill to have Nanostray 2 digitally for like $10. Shin'en own the IP as they do with Nano Assault, so surely there's no need for Majesco to be involved.

Alternatively they could consider an eShop version with a mode for change back into the original version, graphics and resolution as if you're playing the DS original digitally, like 2 games in one. :p

Will they be able to license it to Nintendo and other companies?

Shinen can make bank by being the premier Nintendo engine provider.

krizzx

Truthfully, this is probably the best idea that any dev can make on the hardware and it what the majority of the devs failed to do with the Wii.

Make a good game engine for the hardware at the beginning of its life span and you will be set for the rest of its life. You will be able to develop higher quality games faster at a lower cost.

scitek

Those guys from Shin'en kinda make other developers look stupid if you see what they can do.

I wonder if that is a direct heritage of Shin'en coming from out of the demo-scene? Working with and around the constraints of limited recources and making something beautiful out of that.

I would imagine that's exactly what it is. I can see them preferring the challenge of working on less powerful hardware just for that reason.

Those guys from Shin'en kinda make other developers look stupid if you see what they can do.

I wonder if that is a direct heritage of Shin'en coming from out of the demo-scene? Working with and around the constraints of limited recources and making something beautiful out of that.

Excuse my ignorance, but, what is demo scene ?

OryoN

Will they be able to license it to Nintendo and other companies?

Shinen can make bank by being the premier Nintendo engine provider.

Nintendo themselves have a preference to their own engines. It's not uncommon for them to make a brand new engines for specific games, or modify existing ones. Most of the big publishers are turning to their own engines, and smaller 3rd parties seem content to shop around for updates to familiar brands, where some of their hard-earned experience carries over.

That said, if Shin'en's(<-- wow, that's weird looking!) new engine is stunning AND easy to work with, perhaps they could get a few Indies to bite, since higher quality visuals do help some Indy games to stand out. On the other hand, Shin'en may have no such interests in licensing, for that very reason. Their new engine may be an asset that helps them stand out even more. Still, I wouldn't rule anything out!

Datschge

I can't see them licensing their engine as with all the procedural generation they like to use the engine likely won't work with the assets and work flow of 99% of the game developers out there.

krizzx

Maybe somebody should shoot them a question about that engine. It would certainly be great if it saw heightened use on the Wii U.

Top Bottom