• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin’en, the Developer of Fast NEO/RMX, Is Working on Xbox Series X

Bullet Club

Shin’en, the Developer of Fast NEO/RMX, Is Working on Xbox Series X

QSJiX1j.jpg

When Microsoft announced that over 140 third-party game developers are already working on the Xbox Series X console, everyone focused on the big names: CAPCOM, Bungie, CD Projekt RED, Bethesda to name a few.

Yet those were the obvious ones, while the small logo of Shin'en Multimedia, for example, was a nice surprise for those Xbox gamers who were able to spot it. That's because the independent developer based in Munich, Germany, has never developed for an Xbox console before.

n fact, since its foundation in 1999, Shin'en has focused almost exclusively on developing for Nintendo platforms, with the exceptions of 2014's Nano Assault Neo X and 2016's Art of Balance which also launched on Sony's PlayStation 4.

By far the most popular games made by this studio were those in the Fast Racing NEO/RMX franchise, inspired by Wipeout and F-Zero. Fast Racing NEO debuted in late 2015 for the Nintendo Wii U, much to the praise of Dave as you may read in his review.
Fast Racing NEO is one of the best download-only titles for Wii U and is also one of the Wii U’s best racers. If you are a fan of the genre, don't miss it.
The game did so well that Shin'en re-released it (with some new content) as Fast RMX for the Nintendo Switch, as a launch title for the console. Once again, Dave expressed his enjoyment with the title.
Good tracks and great racing combine in this well-positioned futuristic racer. It’s nothing groundbreaking, and is very similar to its predecessor, but it has enough new content and multiplayer fun to keep me coming back for hours.
Last year, the studio released a new Nintendo Switch game called The Touryst, an action/adventure puzzle game that was also well received.

We reached out to Shin'en before publishing this story. While they couldn't reveal anything yet about their next project, they did confirm to be working on the Xbox Series X.

Given the similarity of the Xbox dev environment with Windows 10 PC, it seems reasonable to assume they might be looking at Microsoft's other platform as well, though that's purely speculation on our part at the moment.

Whether Xbox fans will get ports of their previous hit games or just this upcoming game is presently unknown, but we'll let you know once any official details are confirmed; stay tuned.

Source: WCCFTech

I have never played Fast Racing NEO. Just googled it and seems like a solid Wipeout competitor, or no?

Would be great for XsX to get a similar kinda title. I said this about Wipeout hopefully coming to PS5 sooner than later, but a fast, futuristic racer can be a great way to show off what these consoles can do, visually, and also with 3d audio

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

This small studio got the talent of an AAA studio .

would have been one of the best purchased for MS or Sony or Nintendo if they are up for grabs .

if they are making a futuristic racing game exclusive on xbox then prepare to be blown away

-Arcadia-

Banned
There’s always a temptation for people to get angry at a developer leaving exclusivity to try new things. I hope that isn’t the case here. Shin’en has been amazing to Nintendo fans, and we owe them the courtesy of supporting them in all their ventures.

I look forward to seeing what insane accomplishment they can make on the system.

That said, I do hope they, as they’ve done while developing for other consoles in the past, continue to support Nintendo systems. They’ve built quite the legacy there, and really become a part of things.

cireza

Banned
Great news indeed. I have a retail version of FAST on Wii U, that I play every once in a while (incredible game for the console) and I also completed The Touryst on Switch, a very enjoyable game, quite short though.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Luckily it isn't half as floaty as Wipeout. Nice game!
I'll keep this in mind. I have ran into this game browsing the store before, and it is usually the memories of that "Wipeout floatiness" which makes me not want to pick it up.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I'll keep this in mind. I have ran into this game browsing the store before, and it is usually the memories of that "Wipeout floatiness" which makes me not want to pick it up.
It is also no nearly as twitchy / precise as F-Zero, it is somewhere inbetween. Do not expect F-Zero level of control. But do expect insane speed.

I like the way they're acting like it's some big mystery as to wether this will end up on PC or not, as if Xbox still was interested in having any exclusive games.

After their last couple of games I'm eager to see where they go next, and hopefully what they learnt from Switch will allow them to optimise the new game for a wider reach of PC's.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
There’s always a temptation for people to get angry at a developer leaving exclusivity to try new things. I hope that isn’t the case here. Shin’en has been amazing to Nintendo fans, and we owe them the courtesy of supporting them in all their ventures.

I look forward to seeing what insane accomplishment they can make on the system.

That said, I do hope they, as they’ve done while developing for other consoles in the past, continue to support Nintendo systems. They’ve built quite the legacy there, and really become a part of things.
You cannot talk that much sense to a virgins on the internet, tho.

I love all that nice indie stuff being on the SEX...
Seems like there might be a quite rounded game lineup for it very soon after release.

Orta

Banned
I have never played Fast Racing NEO. Just googled it and seems like a solid Wipeout competitor, or no?

Would be great for XsX to get a similar kinda title. I said this about Wipeout hopefully coming to PS5 sooner than later, but a fast, futuristic racer can be a great way to show off what these consoles can do, visually, and also with 3d audio

It's better than wipeout imo. Less floaty and even at its fastest you are in control 99% of the time which I've never felt was the case with Wipeout. The tracks are varied and look absolutely stunning on the small Switch screen too. There aren't weapons in the game but they're not missed. MK8 aside, its easily the best racer on the system, a must-buy.

I can't wait to see what these guys do on next gen/pc, should be jaw dropping. Hopefully they won't forget us little Nintendo people though.

D.Final

Banned
It's better than wipeout imo. Less floaty and even at its fastest you are in control 99% of the time which I've never felt was the case with Wipeout. The tracks are varied and look absolutely stunning on the small Switch screen too. There aren't weapons in the game but they're not missed. MK8 aside, its easily the best racer on the system, a must-buy.

I can't wait to see what these guys do on next gen/pc, should be jaw dropping. Hopefully they won't forget us little Nintendo people though.

Stunning

Top Bottom