• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei 25th anniversary project site opens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Korigama

I was imagining a SMT game, located in the Canton of Geneva, Switzerland, instead of Tokyo. There are the CERN labs there, and they have a particle accelerator. They investigate the collision of particles and create microscopic black holes.

Remember that some years ago, before executing it, somebody spread the rumour that the execution could create a black hole, and so, swallow the earth? I was thinking that the black hole, could be a gate to the expanse, and the main protagonist could be a PhD student working there, and other co-workers/students could join the party, each with their own alignments.
It wouldn't be a numbered game in such a case. They consider having the games set in Tokyo as part of the criteria for that, which was why Strange Journey wasn't called IV.

spiritfox

SMT has always been associated with Tokyo. Strange Journey was supposed to be SMTIV but was changed cause it wasn't set in Tokyo.

Edit: lol beaten.

Thoraxes

I was imagining a SMT game, located in the Canton of Geneva, Switzerland, instead of Tokyo. There are the CERN labs there, and they have a particle accelerator. They investigate the collision of particles and create microscopic black holes.

Remember that some years ago, before executing it, somebody spread the rumour that the execution could create a black hole, and so, swallow the earth? I was thinking that the black hole, could be a gate to the expanse, and the main protagonist could be a PhD student working there, and other co-workers/students could join the party, each with their own alignments.
Have you played IV? They touch on that some of that stuff in one of the endings.

marmoka

Banned
It wouldn't be a numbered game in such a case. They consider having the games set in Tokyo as part of the criteria for that, which was why Strange Journey wasn't called IV.

Strange Journey deserves to be the fourth one, and both SMTIV and Apocalypse to be V. SJ is such a great game, and there's a risk to be forgotten, or not taken seriously because it's not numbered.

Have you played IV? They touch on that some of that stuff in one of the endings.

I played both, and they are my favorite 3DS games. I took the idea from the Yamato Reactor thing. I know it's not very original, but still like the idea.

Dremorak

Banned

There is a game that takes this premise and runs with it, but to say what game it is would be a monumental spoiler.

Going back through old SMT titles, uh...what is this SMT: Nine ?? An Xbox 1 exclusive, only released in Japan??? A real-time combat system??
Forming part of the Megami Tensei series, Nine takes place in the period of time between Shin Megami Tensei and its sequel, with the survivors of Tokyo's destruction sheltering in underground bunkers. Taking on the role of a debugger, the player navigates the Idea Space virtual world set up by the survivors of Tokyo's destruction, which has come under attack by demonic beings called "noise". The gameplay has the player navigating a customized avatar in third-person through the virtual world of Tokyo, battling enemies using a real-time command-based battle system. The game's title refers to the number of possible moral alignments available to players.
250px-Shin_Megami_Tensei_Nine.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFfLDmDa9eQ

I always thought the demon models were created for Nocturne, but it seems at least some were created for this game, or at least early versions of them. What were they thinking releasing a Japan-only Xbox title?

duckroll

Wait. I just realized the header of the site says....

真・女神転生 25th Anniversary Projects

Multiple titles!

Eolz

That's a really nice logo!
Lots of possibilities to make it a good anniversary. Hopefully includes some re-releases.

But yeah, can't see SMTV not being on a Nintendo platform. Hope the writing gets back to where it was instead of what they tried in some parts of Apocalypse though.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Going back through old SMT titles, uh...what is this SMT: Nine ?? An Xbox 1 exclusive, only released in Japan??? A real-time combat system??

250px-Shin_Megami_Tensei_Nine.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFfLDmDa9eQ

I always thought the demon models were created for Nocturne, but it seems at least some were created for this game, or at least early versions of them. What were they thinking releasing a Japan-only Xbox title?
They were thinking 'Microsoft gave us a bag of money and an insane deal on per disc royalties, so let's put out a low-budget piece of shovelware, clean up, and spend the rest on our PS2 titles.'

Jb

The star being five-pointed has to mean SMTV will be announced. Plus I know I'm reaching but the fact that it's the SMT logo flipped means we clearly see a V in the star itself now.

ShinMegamiTensei.jpg~c200

They were thinking 'Microsoft gave us a bag of money and an insane deal on per disc royalties, so let's put out a low-budget piece of shovelware, clean up, and spend the rest on our PS2 titles.'

Doesn't really seem like they "cleaned up" on it though:
Wikipedia said:
According to Atlus, the game's sales by the end of the 2002-2003 fiscal year had reached 45,000 units: this fell below their planned sales number of 67,000 units.[36] In May, Atlus announced that the development costs and poor sales of Xbox games, including Nine, had resulted in a financial loss for that year.

Interesting that Imagine was the direct successor to Nine though, or I should say it seems to have started as the online component of Nine that never shipped.

Please remake SMT I-II
Please remake SMT I-II
Please remake SMT I-II
Please remake SMT I-II
Please remake SMT I-II
Please remake SMT I-II
Please remake SMT I-II
Please remake SMT I-II

Never played them, I can dream.

Dascu

Is there any timer/countdown/indication by when we will find out more? When exactly is the 25th anniversary?

Korigama

I recall Yamai saying he's thought about making a game that takes place outside of Japan.
Which is always feasible. Just saying that it wouldn't be numbered.
Apocalypse just released on the west, i wouldn't expect a 3D remake of it plus IV. A collection maybe.
Not to mention that the use of first-person and sprites for dialogue and battles was a deliberate throwback to SMT I and II (which was also observed in Soul Hackers before IV and IV:A).

If it is SMTV, I hope it's more like SMTIVF than vanilla SMTIV.
Devil Survivor 3 would be nice too.

I would hope not. SMTIV Apocalypse doesn't have the right tone for a mainline game. It's okay for what it is but should not be in a mainline entry imo.

Agreed about DS3. Well overdue...

Zhao_Yun

SMTV for Switch seems to be a given, but I wonder why people are so confident that it would come to PS4, too? Have there been any indications that SMT will go multi?

Rymuth

SMTV for Switch seems to be a given, but I wonder why people are so confident that it would come to PS4, too? Have there been any indications that SMT will go multi?
They launched a survey a while back, citing if people wanted it for the PS4 - so atleast we know they're mulling or even entertaining the idea.

I agree. No reason for people to assume but they think (it is quite likely) that a lot of the assets in P5 in HD will be reused etc

Thud

Atlus will probably not put their mainline title exclusively on a new device that has yet to prove itself. So PS4 it is.

I don't see how it's anymore likely for Switch than PS4. PS4 is the one with an actual userbase afterall. But if I were to guess, I'd say going multi would be smart. It helped with Persona 5.

marmoka

Banned
We also need "SMT IV + Apocalypse" in HD, don't know if for Switch and/or PS4 + PC

It was multi until Nocturne. SMT 1 came out in SNES, MegaCD, PCEngine, PSX, Gameboy Advance,... Same with SMT II and SMT If, which came out in SNES and PSX.

Breaking the console exclusivity would be great for everyone. Same with Persona.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Atlus are gearing up for HD development again, Switch is unproven quantity, SMT was at one point on console for PS, and it seems Atlus want to globalize a bit more instead of relegating their SMT brand to handheld.

I don't think its so surprising to think they would go multi-platform for this next project especially if the assets can be easily shared.

At the very least, architecture between Switch and PS4 must be much more similar than PS3 and PS4

Zhao_Yun

It was multi until Nocturne. SMT 1 came out in SNES, MegaCD, PCEngine, PSX, Gameboy Advance,... Same with SMT II and SMT If, which came out in SNES and PSX.

Breaking the console exclusivity would be great for everyone. Same with Persona.

SMT1 and 2 were not Multi at launch though iirc?

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see SMT games on PS consoles again and it definitely would make sense, but I am probably just a bit more pessimistic than others.

Sakura

I would hope not. SMTIV Apocalypse doesn't have the right tone for a mainline game. It's okay for what it is but should not be in a mainline entry imo.

Agreed about DS3. Well overdue...

Not so much the tone necessarily, but I would like a stronger cast of characters.

Delio

We also need "SMT IV + Apocalypse" in HD, don't know if for Switch and/or PS4 + PC

I agree it would be great if Persona as well were multiplat (outside of Sony family). But people seemed really down on that idea when that one thread was around.

koutoru

Going by what they did in the past, Atlus likes to get multiple games out of a single engine.

They even sometimes use the same demon models across games. So you're likely to see those HD demon assets from Persona 5 again.

duckroll

It doesn't make a ton of sense for Atlus to go all in on a brand new console early in the lifespan if they are making a bigger HD game. Being on both makes more sense.

If it's a cheaper portable type game like SMT4 then sure, it could skip the PS4.

True Fire

YES YES YES YES. I wasn't expecting a new mainline entry for its 25th anniversary (naive me) but I am so ready for this.

I'd love to see it on PS4 with a Pro Patch, but I'm getting a Switch anyway so *shrug*

Eolz

Please remake SMT I-II
Please remake SMT I-II
Please remake SMT I-II
Please remake SMT I-II
Please remake SMT I-II
Please remake SMT I-II
Please remake SMT I-II
Please remake SMT I-II

Never played them, I can dream.

SMT II is still my favorite in terms of story. I found I pretty tedious, not worth the time tbh.

I agree. No reason for people to assume but they think (it is quite likely) that a lot of the assets in P5 in HD will be reused etc

Which has always been a pretty dumb reason, given that they're PS3 assets that can be handled by anything on the market, and that they can be tweaked/reused on different engines like most game assets.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

0 Switch sold vs. +50 Mio PS4 sold.

You really dont have to wonder...its just common sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom