• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei appreciation thread

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
EviLore said:
Here's why I don't like SMT3 (stolen from an old post of mine):

The random battle encounter rate sucks. I fight the same one or two groups of enemies dozens of times before the next area and next batch of one or two enemies hits. I'm used to this in jrpgs, but SMT:N has a higher encounter rate than any other jrpg I've played, coupled with random battles that usually take little else than a pulse to get through and gigantic maze dungeons that have me hitting dead ends and backtracking and falling through holes in the ground for what seems like forever, while those battles hit me relentlessly. I'm not challenged by this in any way, just frustrated.

The bosses end up being trial and error exercises. Without the ability to switch the parasite things in battle or any other way of knowing the alignment of the boss without referencing gamefaqs, your main character will often end up killing off any chances of taking a boss the first time (extra turns and all that), unless you use a gimp non-aligned parasite.

The character customization system isn't bad, but it's also nothing special. I thought the main character's ability pool was pretty small, and getting a set of abilities you want ouf of critters through fusion and all that can feel very limiting without a ton of extra leveling up. Levels themselves are also so important that, yeah, even more extra leveling up. When I find the random battles themselves to be tedious.

Great art/music/death screen/whatever doesn't save this for me. The game is seriously archaic, just like most RPGs in the PS2 gen (with the exception of a few gems like BOFV).

Random battles need to die. Slight variations on the same outdated gameplay mechanics need to die. Dungeon crawling? Excellent with the right gameplay mechanics, but Nocturne really doesn't do that for me.

I enjoyed SMT3, but I still have the exact same problems as you. The Amala dungeons were the worst offenders. Falling through floors, random encounters, maze like featureless dungeons where everything looks the same...all things that made SMT3 a very difficult game to finish. It had nothing to do with difficulty.

I enjoy the world so much, though, that I kept playing. I totally agree, though. Random encounters began as a memory issue, as the it wasn`t possible to show as many enemies as you wanted in the play field. Now that it isn`t a problem on modern consoles, why are we still using this archaic, and downright stupid, mechanic. The saving grace for Nocturne was the RE gauge. It would turn red when you were about to hit a battle. That gave me a chance to stop and check my inventory to make sure i had my good members out, and get ready for an encounter.

If there`s one thing I hate in an RPG, it`s hitting a random encounter when I`m about to hit a zone boundary, and I do not expect it. It`s like a Hollywood movie where you`re trying to run for the exit before the building blows up.

From what I can tell, P3 will use RE as well. SMT has always done it, Persona has always done it, and I imagine that crazy tradition will continue. As much as I love the quirky things that SMT does, there`S something painfully traditional about the way they handle overarching gameplay mechanics.

birdchili

re: SMT:N not insulting your intelligence

Himuro said:
While I definitely agree with the other points, can you elaborate on this one? :)

hmmmm... it seemed so obvious when I wrote it, but pondering now I'm reminded of a pile of things that irritated me when I played it - typical.

I think the biggest issue is just with most other console rpgs - (without singling out any specifically) they're really same-y, and have stories that don't engage your neurons much. Nocturne has a pretty minimal story, but it's decently integrated into random conversations, touches on some pretty fundamental existential concepts, and doesn't really spell everything out for you at the end, which I appreciated (but not in a wtf kind of way either).

I also liked the mythology integration - if you're into world myths there are lots of little extra conversations for engaging demons of the same mythology.

Finally, I found the challenge level really excellent (on "hard"). I had the "less random encounters" spell active for the entire game and found most fights in new areas relatively tricky - being one "mistake" away from death at every button-press is how I like my turn-based games, and most are far too easy to present significant gameplay challenge.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
My Nocturne came today (with soundtrack) and its in ace condition.

I'm about to fire it up.

WalkMan

Banned
00017ku.jpg

00024xe.jpg

What ever happen to Shin Megami Tensei Online?

Y2Kev

Okay. Okay okay okay.

I can get monsters to join me? OMFGWTFBBQ AWESOME.

So far this game has broken like every convention. It's awesome. Freaky as hell though.

Mau ®

Abel said:
EWWW MMORPG + SMT? Throw that ugly bastard child into a volcano ASAP!

Could be a good idea IMO. The art in SMT is amazing and full of mythos, don't see how it would suck.

Shin Megami Tensei Online was being developed for the Xbox but Atlus canned it and released a barebones version of it anyway in Japan. But it wasn't all bad. They used the SMTonline engine to create SMT3, DDS, DDS2 and Im not sure if Devil Summoner uses it as well?

A MMORPG would be pretty expensive for Atlus. SMT is not that strong of a franchise to take on it IMO. Those type of games can make or break a company.

BTW there's alot of hype for P3 but what about Devil Summoner, it looks awesome IMO.

Joe Molotov

Alright, I'm ready to get my Shin Megami Tensei appreciation on. I picked up Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne & Digital Devil Saga 2 for $50 ($45 for Nocturne and $5 for DDS2). I'm about 2/3 of the way through DDS1. Should I...

- Continue playing DDS1 and then play Nocturne.
- Continue playing DDS1 and then DDS2 and then Nocturne.
- Play Nocturne immediately.

Joe Molotov said:
Alright, I'm ready to get my Shin Megami Tensei appreciation on. I picked up Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne & Digital Devil Saga 2 for $50 ($45 for Nocturne and $5 for DDS2). I'm about 2/3 of the way through DDS1. Should I...

Continue playing DDS1 and then DDS2 and then Nocturne.

DDS 1 + DDS 2 make for one of the best rpgs I've ever played, I hope atlus does another side-story with the DDS battle system

Reilly

Joe Molotov said:

Play Nocture last. Once you play it, you'll realize just how dull the DDS games are and won't want to play them.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
WalkMan said:
00017ku.jpg

00024xe.jpg

What ever happen to Shin Megami Tensei Online?

If you`re talking about Shin Megami Tensei Nine for Xbox, then it did come out...in Japan. I think it was a gigantic bomb, so they never brought it to the US.

TheTrin said:
If you`re talking about Shin Megami Tensei Nine for Xbox, then it did come out...in Japan. I think it was a gigantic bomb, so they never brought it to the US.

It's had a strange path. A SMTO was announced for the Xbox but then when it was shown it was a single player RPG. At that time they scheduled to release an expansion that was the MMO but the game bombed so they moved development to the PC. And that's where its at right now. No idea when its going to be released. It looked fairly bad the last time they showed it which was sometime last year.

WalkMan

Banned
TheTrin said:
Damn how did it bomb so bad? I'm looking at these screenshots and it seems like there was some portion where it was an Online RTS... Oh wait it came out on Xbox :/. I hope they try again though, the concept seemed nice.

Y2Kev

I'm almost to level 18. Just grinding out about 700 more exp before facing a boss. I never grind, it's interesting...doesn't bug me so much now.

I need to be level 18 to fuse this really cool demon so I'm working at that.

The only use of leveling in SMT:N is just the ability to gain access to more demons. Due to that, you should be taking advantage of the hero's magatama abilitess and specific demons (immunites, elements, etc) to progress the game, not levels.

That said, any Euro/Aus people know when DDS1 is getting released this month?

Tokubetsu

Someone stop me? Im debating buying a sealed copy of DDS Deluxe Edition for around $90..Im currently enjoying SMT: Nocturne and eagerly awaiting Persona 3...Is there ANY reason I should not take this $100 plunge? =[

Reilly

Tokubetsu said:
Someone stop me? Im debating buying a sealed copy of DDS Deluxe Edition for around $90..Im currently enjoying SMT: Nocturne and eagerly awaiting Persona 3...Is there ANY reason I should not take this $100 plunge? =[

You can get it for less than that. Look harder

I'd wait for Devil Summoner.

I was reading through this and the whole SMT Online thing was brought up.

It seems that at some point the game was progressing well; in the sense that it was playable, not in the sense that it really looked interesting at all. Most old screens you'll find of that game look, well, terrible. As mentioned.

I'm under the impression that there was a closed beta test at some point. If you look around you'll find very little information about that along with screen shots. It's almost as though Atlus imposed a very strict NDA on the whole thing... that, or you know, I'm totally wrong about there being a beta test.

And then the game seemingly was scrapped. In that form anyway. At least from what I can figure out. Time went on and then suddenly it was like what was there never existed and the project was "rebooted". Cave was attached to the project and then there were some press releases related to that. Since then there's been almost no information on Shin Megami Tensei Online: Imagine... at least not news big enough for megamitensei.jp or other gaming sites to take special note of.

http://www.megatenonline.com/blog/

However, Cave does run a blog about the game. It's regularly updated and contains art related to the title from time to time. As of late there's been some more interesting images on there... apparently involving the modeling process and concept art renders. One in particular appears to be models of three boys and three girls; assumingly avatars you can play as. (There's also some older Kaneko drawings and a shot of one of Aya Nishitani's DDS book, so it seems they're at least researching well lol).

What exactly will be happening with it have I have no idea. It's definitely progressing. If I knew what that site actually said beyond horrible Babblefishing I could say more lol.

Himuro said:
Azazel what can you tell us about the MegaTen staff? It's seems they're more secretive than most developers. They're all about the games it seems. :)

Nothing, really. I'm just a random white kid with a vested interest in the games lol. Basically the same stuff I imagine anyone knows based on basic interviews.

Honestly, if people into this stuff were interested in compiling a list of the more important members of the various teams throughout the years and what they did, I'd certainly be interested in reading it. Only a handful of people come to mind offhand... Kaneko, Okada, Yamai, Soejima (for Persona 3), Meguro and Hashino.

Yazan

Nine days remaining before we europeans can play Digital Devil saga. Need to finish Nocturne/Lucifers Call soon. The ****ing trumpeter is an badass thought.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
This thread is huge, so it may already be listed, but does someone have the list of the whole MegaTen series and off shoots? I'd love to get my collection completed someday.

sub_zer0 said:
The only use of leveling in SMT:N is just the ability to gain access to more demons. Due to that, you should be taking advantage of the hero's magatama abilitess and specific demons (immunites, elements, etc) to progress the game, not levels.

That said, any Euro/Aus people know when DDS1 is getting released this month?

Most sites seem to be listing it for release on 21st July, so it should be available this friday. Although the main site has it sheduled for releasse on the 28th :)

Sfida

Semjaza Azazel said:
Only a handful of people come to mind offhand... Kaneko, Okada, Yamai, Soejima (for Persona 3), Meguro and Hashino.

Tadashi.

edit: And Shoji Meguro is mediocre. The best Megami Tensei composer was the original composer for the main series: Tsukasa Masuko.

Yazan

Ninja Kn1ght said:
Most sites seem to be listing it for release on 21st July, so it should be available this friday. Although the main site has it sheduled for releasse on the 28th :)

You know what?!!! I just saw that ghostlight have shipped my copy and may receive it tomorrow (hopefully).

http://www.digitaldevilsaga.co.uk/

If you pre-order here they claim you'll receive it on or before the release date. Plus you get some free stuff. It's 29.99 in pounds... their site seemingly lets you ship anywhere, though.

I'd be interested in seeing how this "exclusive" box looks. Chances are it's just the big one we got in the US, but who knows.

duckroll

Semjaza Azazel said:
What exactly will be happening with it have I have no idea. It's definitely progressing. If I knew what that site actually said beyond horrible Babblefishing I could say more lol.

The game is still in developing and progressing very well. Cave Online recently issued a press release (last week in fact!) here: http://www.cave-online.jp/news/2006/imagne2006_0714.pdf

It states that the game is using a network middleware from Community Engine (CE-Lab) known as VCE. More details about that here: http://vce.ce-lab.net/en/vce.html

The official website is here: http://www.cave-online.jp/game/megami/index.html

Edit: The press release also states that there will be a beta test service starting some time this Winter.

duckroll said:
The game is still in developing and progressing very well. Cave Online recently issued a press release (last week in fact!) here: http://www.cave-online.jp/news/2006/imagne2006_0714.pdf

It states that the game is using a network middleware from Community Engine (CE-Lab) known as VCE. More details about that here: http://vce.ce-lab.net/en/vce.html

The official website is here: http://www.cave-online.jp/game/megami/index.html

Edit: The press release also states that there will be a beta test service starting some time this Winter.

Cool, thanks for the info. The site seems to be written in kind of stream of conciousness sort of way and for someone in my position it's impossible to figure out at all.

www.megatenonline.com also links to that official site, by the way. It's easier to remember. :D

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
It might be foolish to post this in this thread but I was wondering if the GBA shin megami tensei games were ever released in english? And is it possible to find them anywere? Ebay didn't give a shit.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Brobzoid said:
It might be foolish to post this in this thread but I was wondering if the GBA shin megami tensei games were ever released in english? And is it possible to find them anywere? Ebay didn't give a shit.
you mean SMT1 and SMT2? if so, no they weren't.

Brobzoid

demikids looks like anime color rape to my eyes. I despise the japanese for using a language I'm so unfamiliar with.... :mad:

Brobzoid

can't play fan transelations on my gba micro can I? not without a flashcart and some stuff anyway... :\

Brobzoid

I tried playing SMT2 on my pc. buuuut that was pretty shit. uninteresting when there are far greater games I can play on my pc. (SMT2 starts out sooo slow, I didn't know here to go). I'd rather play Earthbound(which I also wish I could play on my gba :\)

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
:lol

then what's the difference between the pc and gba? seriously is the same game.

yeah the game start low and the dude you fight in the coliseum (in true SMT tradition) is ****ing hard, but once you get out there and meet the lady in charge of valhalla the game gets very interesting.

Brobzoid

I know it the same game ^^ but I just cant sit at my pc and play such a slooooooooow ass game. I need to be up and about. Pc games are compelling and fast. anyway, is there a method(perhaps already aplied by others so I don't have to work hard) to get snes games on gba without any hick-ups and random shit happening? aka a stabile snes->gba thing.

So I could buy a flash cart and use my snes roms. I do own the games in question ;) namely Earthbound(but I've never played it with the exeption of roms on my pc(living in PAL land)

WHAT THA FUG!!! A FLASH CART COSTS 100 DOLLARS?!?!? WHU THE HELL1

Do you guys know if DDS normally crashes on HD Loader? Googled told me it doesn't, but he has lied before. It crashed right after I defeated
Lupa
. And it took me so long to defeat him too. :(

Personally, I'd rather play it on some other system myself... whether it's a GBA or not. I do not like playing any game on a PC for extended periods.

Anyway, www.megatenonline.com has updated with a bunch of stuff concerning the Shin Megami Tensei Online: Imagine. Screens, concept art (although a lot more is still on the Developer Journal), etc. It looks like it mentions something about an open beta test, but I have no idea what it actually says.

I will say the game looks a lot better than the initial version that was ran in a closed beta test over a year ago (I was finally able to confirm there actually was one and that it ended on January 30th 2005 lol).

RPGFan had some info they pulled from Famitsu.com. The writer didn't seem to know the site was up yet, though.

http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2006/1371.html

Cave Online Entertainment today announced some new details regarding its online RPG Shin Megami Tensei IMAGINE Online. Similar to previous series installments, the PC-based title takes place in a post-apocalyptic world. Following the destruction of Tokyo in the year 202X, the survivors have begun to build Shinjuku Babel, a massive tower under the guidance of seven wisemen. In addition to the game's starting point, the underground platform 3, this tower will be one ofthe game's field maps.

Cave today also detailed the character creation process. Players can choose between a male and a female character model and then in a second step freely combine various face types and hairstyles. The game will offer more than 200 different kinds of clothes and accessories. A character can be outfitted with 13 of those. Weapons will include katanas, bats, shotguns, and rifles.

Unlike its offline predecessors, Shin Megami Tensei IMAGINE Online will employ a real-time battle system. The negotiation system however has been retained. Another series trademark, the fusion of demons has also made the transition into the online world. Following a fusion, the newly created demon now retains the skills of its two "parents".

Shin Megami Tensei IMAGINE Online will be available in Japan this winter.

duckroll

It should also be mentioned thta SMT Imagine officially takes place between SMT1 and SMT2 in the timeline. It's set in Tokyo after the apocalypse but before it has evolved to the state of SMT2. There's a lot of interesting information too, but seeing how it's a Japanese MMORPG that most people will never get to play.... I'm not really keen on translating the entire articles that are on Watch Impress and ITmedia. :(

Reilly

Green Biker Dude said:
Do you guys know if DDS normally crashes on HD Loader? Googled told me it doesn't, but he has lied before. It crashed right after I defeated
Lupa
. And it took me so long to defeat him too. :(

The load times aren't even noticeable in that game.

Top Bottom