• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei Community Thread: Be Your True Demon

cj_iwakura

I've beaten every SMT I own except Devil Summoner(Sat) and Soul Hackers.

It makes me sad whenever people own them and don't play them. You should be worrying about when you'll get to play them again.

cj_iwakura said:
I've beaten every SMT I own except Devil Summoner(Sat) and Soul Hackers.

It makes me sad whenever people own them and don't play them. You should be worrying about when you'll get to play them again.
I am actually sitting at work playing P3P right now. Haven't finished that one or Strange Journey but that is in my DS right now as well. I really want to find nocturne and P4 and see about getting them to emulate on my pc since I don't have a ps2. Is they hard to find now? Or for P4 would it be better to wait for the vita release?

cj_iwakura said:
This is me.

I've beaten Raidou 1, P3 (+The Answer), and P4. I've had P2: EP and Nocturne since around '05 and only played a little bit. I've had the DDS games well before P3 as well, and have only gotten around 10 hours into DDS.

I have terrible gaming habits. Can you forgive me? </3

The US-released SMT games I'm missing are Overclocked, Persona, Persona PSP, P3P, and Persona 2: IS.

randomkid

Haha crazy to see all the big Megaten people on this message board with such sad completion rates. (sad is a relative term of course).

Whatever though, I'm officially #3 with my 11 games beaten until someone proves me wrong!

randomkid said:
Revelations: Persona, SMT3: Nocturne, DDS1, DDS2, Raidou 1, Persona 3, Persona 3 FES: The Answer, Persona 4, Raidou 2, Persona PSP (Snow Queen Quest + Sebec Route), Strange Journey.

That (plus DevSur) is my entire SMT history. I'll probably be picking up Innocent Sin in the next few weeks; I skipped Persona PSP when it came out because I didn't have a PSP yet and it didn't seem like I'd enjoy it that much, and now whoops, too late!

randomkid

charlequin said:
That (plus DevSur) is my entire SMT history. I'll probably be picking up Innocent Sin in the next few weeks; I skipped Persona PSP when it came out because I didn't have a PSP yet and it didn't seem like I'd enjoy it that much, and now whoops, too late!

It's never too late Charlie, they've had half-price PSN sales like twice now, I'm sure there'll be another soon enough. A lot of Megaten newcomers don't like it because it's "archaic" or something but I loved every minute of it, who knows, maybe you'll like it too!

Innocent Sin is rather amazing so far though, gotta admit. The negotiation system is even better, best in any Megaten game I've played.

Is Devil Survivor for the DS worth picking up? I don't really know much about it. Love most of the SMT games. Always found them entertaining, if frustrating at times (looking at you Nocturne and hving to use Cielo in a dungeon in DDS!).

Essentially, what is your take on Devil Survivor?

Devil Survivor is a hybrid between a strategy-RPG, like Final Fantasy Tactics or Tactics Ogre, and your typical Megami Tensei game. During the battles you move around an isometric grid-based area and when you engage the enemies there's traditional command-based combat. I personally think it's one of the best games for the Nintendo DS, but I know a lot people thought it was frustratingly hard in a few places.

I'm really, really liking Persona 4. Which of the other SMT games would you all recommend?

I'll probably be getting Persona 3 on PS2, but is there anything else?

It depends which aspect of Persona 4 you like. No other game in the series, except Persona 3, has the dating sim part. Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne has a similar battle system and it's considered by many to be the best game in the series. The Digital Devil Saga games are a bit more story-focused and have a skill grid that's similar to the sphere grid in Final Fantasy X. All three games have had recent reprints and can be found for a reasonable price on Amazon.

randomkid

reriel said:
My favorite rpg series, actually I made a thread like this for an italian board, it's a messy and incomplete, but it was funny writing it down.

Forgot to mention this, and you're probably not reading since we're in the community ghetto now, but this is really an awesome repository. I wish there was an English equivalent! The HG101 article and Wikipedia are great of course, but I like the additional details provided here in a single place.

I made my own half-ass chronology thread here a while back. I wanted to prove the point that Persona was being milked too relentlessly, only to discover that Atlus has milked all their subseries through out their entire history, so they probably know what they're doing.

cj_iwakura

It's worth noting that the SMT article is among the most popular on HG101, which makes me happy.

Also, I enjoyed Devil Survivor way more than I expected. Only the mediocre art and sound keeps it from being amazing. It's just really good as it stands.

.JayZii

Banned
Sorry, I'm bad at following news, but has there been any word at all on a new Persona or SMT game for consoles? Has Atlus made any definitive statements?

.JayZii said:
Sorry, I'm bad at following news, but has there been any word at all on a new Persona or SMT game for consoles? Has Atlus made any definitive statements?

P4 fighting game for console and a P4 Vita game. This is all for now.

randomkid

.JayZii said:

Well, the Persona director has said they've started work on the next Persona for consoles. It's not using the Catherine engine though so who knows when we'll see it. Maybe we'll get an announcement next year.

Nobody knows what Kaneko, who seems to be the SMT/Raidou guy these days, is doing. He's been silent since Strange Journey.

randomkid said:
Well, the Persona director has said they've started work on the next Persona for consoles. It's not using the Catherine engine though so who knows when we'll see it. Maybe we'll get an announcement next year.

Nobody knows what Kaneko, who seems to be the SMT/Raidou guy these days, is doing. He's been silent since Strange Journey.

The the whah huh? Link perhaps?

cj_iwakura

SatelliteOfLove said:
The the whah huh? Link perhaps?

Catherine was an HD test. They're building THEIR OWN for P5.

It was on Andriasang some time ago.

I hope Kaneko's doing something. He's too brilliant to be sitting around while Soejima rakes in the dough.

randomkid said:
Well, the Persona director has said they've started work on the next Persona for consoles. It's not using the Catherine engine though

Good, I would hate to see the next Persona be developed efficiently or released in a reasonable timeframe. :/

randomkid

Google is pretty smart. I just typed Persona Catherine Engine Andriasang and here's what shows up first

http://andriasang.com/comxue/

Confirmation that Catherine used a middleware engine and this time Atlus wanted to do it in-house. Also confirmation that we're in for a long wait. It's all good, I'm not ready for a new Persona yet unless they drastically switch things up like 2->3.

No surprise that Soejima gets all the top billing these days since his art has a much broader appeal for the current gaming audience, not quite so cold and aloof I suppose. I could write a master's thesis on Kaneko though, a real artist's artist that guy, it sounds so stupid but I honestly feel lucky he's been able to do his thing with no restrictions for so many years.

StMeph

randomkid said:
No surprise that Soejima gets all the top billing these days since his art has a much broader appeal for the current gaming audience, not quite so cold and aloof I suppose. I could write a master's thesis on Kaneko though, a real artist's artist that guy, it sounds so stupid but I honestly feel lucky he's been able to do his thing with no restrictions for so many years.

The new art direction with Soejima is sharp, but it's more like everything else that's already available. It's still great, but it's in a style that's way more ordinary and common.

I liked the older art with Kaneko. It's certainly more distinctive.

StMeph said:
The new art direction with Soejima is sharp, but it's more like everything else that's already available. It's still great, but it's in a style that's way more ordinary and common.

You can never go wrong with kohl-rimmed eyes and colorless bottom lips.

cj_iwakura

StMeph said:

No joke.

smt1-mcd.jpg

hero.jpg

They don't make them like that anymore. Even Kaneko's Strange Journey art is kind of lacking, mostly because there seems to be so little of it. I'd kill for an artbook of the game, and the Raidou era, if he ever gets around to it.

omg.kittens said:
Hey SMT folks, I just saw this in an old GAF thread:

OYjyS.jpg

Is it legit? It seems to be from Persona 4...?

archnemesis said:
Yes, it's real and it's probably inspired by this post.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13934028&postcount=1020

Okay, so I've been jonesin' for some Persona lately, and I started another New Game+ of P4 before I started watching the anime, but once I started watching it, it got kind of redundant.

Instead, I decided to go back and finally play The Answer in P3FES.

Gvaz

Banned
Yeah it makes sense, there's a SA goon girl who did the translation for P3P and some others are a fan in NG and elsewhere.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Not much activity in this thread. To keep it alive, here's a question: what's your favorite Shoji Meguro track?

Mine is definitely this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXl6ybdMNls

It's from Catherine, the song is called Stage.

Aeana

There's so many. I can't choose just one. :(

I'll just link what I was listening to when I read your post, since it's a guarantee that nobody else will mention it: SMT3 - Mystery

randomkid

Too many to pick one, I'll just say Digital Devil Saga 2 battle theme or Adventure from Raidou 2.

What's the best way to find out composers track by track for the older Personas? For some reason I know he did Karma Palace in P1, but did he do anything for the original Innocent Sin?

Aeana

Too many to pick one, I'll just say Digital Devil Saga 2 battle theme or Adventure from Raidou 2.

What's the best way to find out composers track by track for the older Personas? For some reason I know he did Karma Palace in P1, but did he do anything for the original Innocent Sin?

No, Meguro's only contributions to the Persona 2 games were his Velvet Room song and Persona Rock. If you want a breakdown of the composers for the games, go here and here.

randomkid

No, Meguro's only contributions to the Persona 2 games were his Velvet Room song and Persona Rock. If you want a breakdown of the composers for the games, go here and here.

Yeah that's what I figured (and good looking out on the link)

Really surprised though that according to this, even the new Quest mode songs weren't Meguro. This Toshiki Konishi individual is a pretty good mimic apparently.

Ugggh when are they gonna announce Eternal Punishment PSP, usually after I beat a game I like to go through threads/blogs for more insight but there's too many sequel spoilers mixed in right now for me to do that properly.

If I had to pick a Shoji Meguro song, I probably pick Muladhara from Digital Devil Saga. Absolutely love the theme, fits with the game's setting so much.

In fact I'd say Digital Devil Saga was probably one of the best soundtracks composed by him, I loved it far more than Persona 3 and 4's soundtrack which was kinda hit and miss for me although I loved Persona 3's Memories of the City mainly due to the DDS vibe they had and how it reflected the change of the game's tone towards the end.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Not much activity in this thread. To keep it alive, here's a question: what's your favorite Shoji Meguro track?

Gah... I don't know. It's most likely something from Digital Devil Saga 2. That soundtrack blew me away with its consistency, guitar work and how well it was composed. I wish I were still in conservatory guitar when I had heard it. I was introduced to Meguro pretty late (like, as I was graduating high school/entering uni), so I'm disappointed I couldn't arrange any of those themes for any recitals. :/

Maybe... uh... Battle for Survival. Or uh... Madness. Or Heroic Battle... or maybe... Big Battle... or Rare Devil... or Epic Battle.

Mist from Persona 4 is a pretty good runner-up though, particularly the Persona Music Live Band version (the second bit after the first chorus play; that is some brilliant guitar and piano work). Haven't heard the version from the P4 arrange album yet since apparently I'm getting that for Christmas. Ginza from SMT3 had some great bass and keyboard work too.

It's not Meguro, but Boss Battle System from Shin Megami Tensei NINE is pretty awesome. (I know it's an arrangement of SMT1's boss theme.) Mmm, now that I think about it, a lot of SMT NINE's battle music is great, like Battle (N Law).

...ULTROS, why you always gotta ask the hard questions?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Speaking of Shoji, what are the good dance/techno sounds that he composed for SMT games?

I know Stage (Catherine) and Striptease (Persona 4) are nice ones.

Oh and:

tumblr_lsrr2fq4ux1qf8np7o2_250.jpg

cj_iwakura

Fine choice. Best Catherine track, but no, my all time favorite is still and always shall be:

Digital Devil Saga - Muladhara.

As dance music goes, Persona 4 had an electronica remix of the Velvet Room theme(Electronica In Velvet Room), and Soul Hackers has LOTS of electronic music.

It wasn't all Meguro, but god is it good stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7WgpxFuDzo

Top Bottom