• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei Community Thread: Be Your True Demon

Golnei

....Apocalypse's take on Maitreya suddenly makes more sense. I just wasn't considering the full range of interpretations available.

tumblr_nnmcykqAPQ1qbb702o1_1280.jpg

Fou-Lu

SMT is a series that should be one of my favourites but I have just never managed to get into outside of its biggest spinoff series, Persona. I really enjoy the atmosphere and gameplay of Nocturne, Strange Journey, Devil Survivor and Digital Devil Saga. All of which I own, but just ended up dropping for some reason or another. Usually completely unrelated to the game. I am tempted to do what I did with Final Fantasy and am in the process of doing with Dragon Quest and just start from SMT1 and play through them all. Which games in the series would you consider must plays, including spinoffs?

cj_iwakura

SMT is a series that should be one of my favourites but I have just never managed to get into outside of its biggest spinoff series, Persona. I really enjoy the atmosphere and gameplay of Nocturne, Strange Journey, Devil Survivor and Digital Devil Saga. All of which I own, but just ended up dropping for some reason or another. Usually completely unrelated to the game. I am tempted to do what I did with Final Fantasy and am in the process of doing with Dragon Quest and just start from SMT1 and play through them all. Which games in the series would you consider must plays, including spinoffs?
Nocturne is still the best in the series.

Lynx_7

1, 2, 3, Strange Journey, IV and Apocalypse are all well worth playing, even if the first 2 are a little dated.
If... should be good too, but there's currently no english translation available, so unless you can read japanese...
Kyuukaku Megami Tensei is a remake of the original NES titles and many fans seem to agree it's worth the time if you enjoy the SNES-era games. I'd recommend leaving them for later as a curiosity piece.

Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2 are perhaps the most well received and popular spin-offs outside of Persona, so you should definitely check them out.

Devil Survivor 1 is a pretty good "what if SMT was a SRPG?" take and definitely worth checking out. People say 2 has a worse narrative but better gameplay.

Raidou Kuzunoha 1 and 2 should be worth giving a shot too. 1's gameplay is kinda clunky but it has a pretty cool setting.

After that, if you enjoyed the 1st person camera games, you could also try Soul Hackers on the 3DS, which has a pretty cool cyberpunk narrative to it (most mainline titles also do to some extent, but SH leans on it the most).
That should cover all bases.

Honestly? Do it. SMT1 is one of my favorite games - such a unique playstyle to it. The dungeon-to-dungeon flow of getting new demons and learning what encounters are and aren't worth fighting is engaging. I love the storyline and general atmosphere of it as well. It's not without flaws (encounter rate is. A Bit Much, get a demon with Estoma), but the wholistic experience that I had with it made it worth it. Make sure to nab the bugfix patch and the automap enhancement one to make it a bit more enjoyable.

SMT1's a fairly easy game for the most part, so take your time to experiment with different setups. It's part of what makes it such a fun title. If you need any help or advice, I'd be happy to give some.

The entirety of mainline is fantastic. Each is a uniquely great experience, and I love them all pretty equally.

Personally, I think the entire series is worth trying at least (even some of the terrible spinoffs are worth a chance out of curiosity. Ronde is something else.), but I'm very biased as it's probably my favorite gaming franchise in general. As for early, commonly recommended essentials:

Shin Mainline (as covered - this being 1, 2, Nocturne, IV, and IV Apocalypse)
Strange Journey (arguably mainline, but not nunbered so counting it separately)
Megami Tensei II (by way of it's SNES remake in Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei - it's aged very well, unlike its predecessor)
Digital Devil Saga Duology
Devil Summoner subseries
Devil Survivor Overclocked

asagami_

Banned

I would say try Soul Hackers first if you want to get the SMT classic experience from the SNES games.

By the way, even if Sou Hackers was ported for 3DS, I'm still a bit salty we never got a SMT 1&2&if remake using the EO/SJ engine ;_;

Yeah, all of the above are worth playing.

If I had to narrow it down to a handful of games while maintaining a nice variety of gameplay styles I'd go with Nocturne, Soul Hackers, DDS1&2 and Devil Survivor Overclocked.

I recommend SMT fans to check out Devilman. Masterpiece of a manga that inspired SMT, and the greatest piece of modern fiction ever, Berserk.

hell yes, Devilman is fantastic and SMT makes pretty regular references to it. Excellent manga. It's getting its first official US release in March, I believe.

Opa-Pa

While I think the big majority of the games mentioned are worth playing, for getting started in the series I'd recommend either Nocturne or SMT4. Nocturne is clearly the superior game too, and not being familiar with its predecessors' "QoL" changes may make it an even better experience.

If you like that you can go back to SMT1 and 2, Megami Tensei, etc etc.

There's a demon popularity vote I saw people voting on my twitter feed and that reminded me that I never posted my edited red palette swap Vouivre figure that I've been working on here.

Before:

After WIP:

I still need to do the white accents on the end of the wings and feet and touch up a couple of areas but I haven't got around to it

That's looking awesome, I love that design. Nice job!

Hylian7

While I think the big majority of the games mentioned are worth playing, for getting started in the series I'd recommend either Nocturne or SMT4. Nocturne is clearly the superior game too, and not being familiar with its predecessors' "QoL" changes may make it an even better experience.

If you like that you can go back to SMT1 and 2, Megami Tensei, etc etc.

Yeah I'd have to agree with this. 4 was designed particularly in mind with players that are new to the franchise. Nocturne is just a great starting point in general.

Strange Journey is a difficult place to start just because of how brutally hard the game can be. I don't know if Strange Journey Redux will be better for beginners in this regard, but it's hard to recommend starting with it, even though it's an excellent game.

Narco

Neo Member
In my opinion, the easiest way to plunge into the series is Digital Devil Saga 1. There is no demon negociation, no fusion, and the system is not particularly punishing because, contrarily to Nocturne :
1. If the hero dies, it's not a game over.
2. You never lose the skills you have learnt.

It's also pretty close to a classical J-RPG : you control a team of several characters and the story is much more present than in, say, Nocturne. DDS is like SMT x Final Fantasy.

So first, I would say Digital Devil Saga 1. Then Digital Devil Saga 2 because you will want to know what happens next.

After that, SMT Nocturne, because it's the best mainline game and you will be accustomed to the mechanics thanks to DDS.

Finally, Strange Journey, because it's awesome.

Fou-Lu

I started SMT today. It's a lot of fun to name my party members after my best friends. Seeing their dialog and snapshotting it to send to them is very amusing. So far this game actually feels like it aged better than the first Persona, but maybe I am just crazy. I absolutely LOVE the atmosphere. It's so good.

daevious

I started SMT today. It's a lot of fun to name my party members after my best friends. Seeing their dialog and snapshotting it to send to them is very amusing. So far this game actually feels like it aged better than the first Persona, but maybe I am just crazy. I absolutely LOVE the atmosphere. It's so good.

That's because Persona 1 expanded on SMT1's mechanics by adding more of everything; more elements (physical and magic), more interactions with demons, mood systems, more formation planning, etc.. Everything takes three times longer than it should and slows Persona 1 to a painful crawl.

SMT1 is very simple and broken in ways that favour the player. Things like how MP was balanced around having 99MP like Megami Tensei 1/2 instead of 999MP or how status ailments snap the games difficulty in half makes it easier to power through some of the more outdated parts of the gameplay.

cj_iwakura

It's a fantastic game, it can just get very aggravating with how frequent battles are. The atmosphere is wonderful though.

Fou-Lu

That's because Persona 1 expanded on SMT1's mechanics by adding more of everything; more elements (physical and magic), more interactions with demons, mood systems, more formation planning, etc.. Everything takes three times longer than it should and slows Persona 1 to a painful crawl.

SMT1 is very simple and broken in ways that favour the player. Things like how MP was balanced around having 99MP like Megami Tensei 1/2 instead of 999MP or how status ailments snap the games difficulty in half makes it easier to power through some of the more outdated parts of the gameplay.

Fair points on Persona 1, I definitely agree with them.

Good to know this won't be a game where I have to save my MP and that status ailments will actually matter!

It's a fantastic game, it can just get very aggravating with how frequent battles are. The atmosphere is wonderful though.

Luckily I have played so many classic JRPGs in the last few years that I am completely numb to frequent random battles.

It's somewhat aggravated by the original animation times, but otherwise P1 might be one of the few games were talking your way through is actually very useful, especially getting rid of mobs that your current party setup is not optimized for. So instead of fiddling with formations and swapping Personas for every encounter, you can just be "fuck these little dudes" and talk your way out.

Love P1.

cj_iwakura

With how easy it is to break SMTIV and even Apocalypse, I appreciate that Devil Survivor 2 isn't afraid to lay on the bullshit difficulty. Good ol' Growlanser team.

Hylian7

Has there been any news on Dx2 Shin Megami Tensei: Liberation? I was hoping we could get news on a global release.

I would be surprised if it comes global, unless Sega really got behind doing that.

I mean you see how SMT1 being released on iOS working out, and what happened to that Android English localization...

Weiss

Banned
hell yes, Devilman is fantastic and SMT makes pretty regular references to it. Excellent manga. It's getting its first official US release in March, I believe.

wat

Holy shit the classic Devilman series from the 70s is coming stateside! I am so in!

Devilman Grimoire too!

Aurizen

I would be surprised if it comes global, unless Sega really got behind doing that.

I mean you see how SMT1 being released on iOS working out, and what happened to that Android English localization...

I think they will. A lot of people like this I don't see why not

http://dijeh.tumblr.com/post/166303619313/zeuss-turn-yayspoiler-dois-explanation-is

tumblr_inline_oxoefzJM3i1qbbgp4_500.png

Zeus’s turn, yay…Spoiler: Doi’s explanation is exactly what you thought it would be (minus the Persephone connection, why would you even think about that).
No kidding!

As the main god of Greek mythology, Zeus, has been the theme of a great number of sculptures and paintings ever since Antiquity. He’s such a prominent god, even people who aren’t too familiar with mythology know him. Now that I think about it, Greek mythology was the very reason I fell in love with myths as a child. Back then, there were quite a lot of TV programmes about various mythologies, civilisations and relics, the most popular chief god was Zeus and manga inspired by Greek mythology were also very successful. He is the God of my mythological roots, so I obviously decided to design him as well as I could.

But once I started drawing him I fell prey to indecision, since I had a feeling that drawing him normally would have made me add a ‘Super’ before his name… (wry). The first image that comes to mind is that of an old man wearing a toga and an ancient Greek style armour, but I had some doubts about drawing the type of figure that had already appeared in other works. Therefore, I challenged myself to emphasise originality and display lesser known mythological facts or obscure anecdotes.

With that in mind, the first thing I wanted to draw was Zeus’s duality. Zeus is a chief god, so the image of justice is strong, but in truth he also had quite the malicious and sleazy side (laughs). I’m going to leave out why that side appeared, but there are various interesting theories, like it being the fault of humans and so on. If anyone is interested in this, please do check it up.

So, I tried to adapt these two sides to the descriptions found in legends and figured I should apply the concepts of good and evil to Zeus’s armour. The good side is symbolised by the figure resembling a sculpture with the armour of ‘brightness’ and the kerauno. The wicked side is represented by the beast-like figure wearing the armour of ‘fear’ and the adamantium sickle. This is how the Zeus of this form was born, as a sort of final form you can glimpse in battle. By the way, I also subtly emphasised his crotch, since it’s part of who he is (laughs).

HenryEen

Banned
Currently playing SMT1 for iOS. For some reason I feel like the game atmosphere is better than SMTIV .

The best part of the game so far is the transition between the normal everyday Tokyo into the post apocalyptic Tokyo. The game started with you doing mundane chores for your mom, then slowly encounter bizarre events involving Demons, then martial law declared, then coupdetat, people being experimented,
your mom get eaten by Demons
, American Ambassador which turns out to be Thor nuked Tokyo.

Then there is the whole Roppongi arc with Alice and her two 'daddy'...That 'would you die for me' scene is probably my favorite scene in a JRPG ever...

The combat is soooo janky though. Not a fan of Mag/Money for managing Demons, and some abilities are straight up broken (Zio and Charm lol).

Lynx_7

Currently playing SMT1 for iOS. For some reason I feel like the game atmosphere is better than SMTIV .

You're not alone. SMT I has this retro, dream-like atmosphere that I really dig. SMT IV's is fine for what it is but the 3DS does it no services. It doesn't scratch that old-school dungeon crawler vibe like SMT 1, 2 and arguably SJ, and it also doesn't reach Nocturne's beautiful art direction and production values, so it's just kinda stuck in that low-budget 3D limbo. They really needed a more capable system for what they were trying to achieve.

Which is why I'm so excited for the HD project. If nothing else we'll at least get a good looking apocalyptic Tokyo to roam around.

HenryEen

Banned
You're not alone. SMT I has this retro, dream-like atmosphere that I really dig. SMT IV's is fine for what it is but the 3DS does it no services. It doesn't scratch that old-school dungeon crawler vibe like SMT 1, 2 and arguably SJ, and it also doesn't reach Nocturne's beautiful art direction and production values, so it's just kinda stuck in that low-budget 3D limbo. They really needed a more capable system for what they were trying to achieve.

Which is why I'm so excited for the HD project. If nothing else we'll at least get a good looking apocalyptic Tokyo to roam around.

I feel like IV post apocalyptic Tokyo doesn't really feel as oppressive(?) or as apocalyptic as SMT1, Nocturne, or SJ, the world feels very lively for a post apocalyptic settings. Probably because of the reasons you mentioned (the low-budget 3D and low production value).

I hope for YHVH sake they bring back original Messians and Gaeans for SMT HD. Messians and Gaeans enemies are among my favorite design in SMT1 so far.

cj_iwakura

I feel like IV post apocalyptic Tokyo doesn't really feel as oppressive(?) or as apocalyptic as SMT1, Nocturne, or SJ, the world feels very lively for a post apocalyptic settings. Probably because of the reasons you mentioned (the low-budget 3D and low production value).

I hope for YHVH sake they bring back original Messians and Gaeans for SMT HD. Messians and Gaeans enemies are among my favorite design in SMT1 so far.
I thought the underground cities felt pretty oppressive.

Hylian7

IMO SMT IV and Apocalypse had a very neat atmosphere. The music really sold the underground cities for me, and is part of the reason IV and Apocalypse have my favorite soundtracks in the series. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZIXqXKiZ7I&list=PLuu7gfeeGV4TKifRVuYQCVEIU1lGJoIhG&index=30

Hearing that with all the bloodstains everywhere, and how dark it was, was a very oppressive atmosphere. In SMTIV in particular, it also helped that you went from the stark contrast of Mikado to Tokyo. I love the way they pulled that off.

I'm really sad that was a joke. I would have loved that to be a real thing.

Maybe Atlus pulls a Pokemon Go with it?

Hopefully they see a bunch of "I wish this was real" from Japanese and Western fans, and make it a reality.

Lynx_7

IV still has good atmosphere, specially at some places like
Reverse Hills and the chaos/law renditions of Tokyo
but like, when compared to the other mainline titles (except Apocalypse) and even many of the spin-offs, it's my least favorite.

I went from "oh cool, those menus need work though" to "wait is this gonna be mobile" to finally "Atlus why". What a ride. Maybe this is someone's pet project that they're secretly trying to gauge interest for lol

Aters

Ok is it just me or Demeter looks really out of place in SJ Remake? I mean, her daughter has been in the series for so long and is one of the most unique designs, and she comes out looking like a new Fire Emblem child unit. WTF?

Top Bottom