• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV official website will unveil something on its own timeline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Granteed

Banned
What I meant to say what that on the 3DS where the standards of games are a little lower than on home consoles I think SMTIV got an easy ride. I think if it gets ported to a system with more competition and better quality games people will be more likely to call it out for its myriad flaws as a result of said comparison.
Until the PS4 JRPGs start coming out in full force, the handheld space has been much more competitive for JRPGs than consoles for the past generation.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Haha. I hate to stir up shit, honestly, but this game was one of the few times I felt GAF stirred me wrong and maybe I harbour some resentment :)

I disliked the SMT battle system in the persona games which is where I first encountered it, but thought it would be utilised better in the mainline series (I played Strange Journey first). After about 4 games of it, I just dislike it and see nothing but flaws.

You just named one. I'm a huge Etrian Odyssey fan.

Eh, the only pushback I've ever got from SMT fans on any of those criticisms is regarding the battle system. If you want my extended thoughts on the game, I made a thread here asking people to defend the game.

Goddamn xenoblade's on the system

hughesta

Banned
Anarchy definitely makes more sense, but it looks like Final would be centered, while Anarchy would hang off to the right. Who knows.

Hylian7

Damn, Megaten fans touchy as hell in here.

I expressed myself poorly so I apologise. Reading my comment back that honestly wasn't what I meant to say, really.

What I meant to say what that on the 3DS where the standards of games are a little lower than on home consoles I think SMTIV got an easy ride. I think if it gets ported to a system with more competition and better quality games people will be more likely to call it out for its myriad flaws as a result of said comparison.

I mean, it's a bloody narrative RPG with
-A terrible combat system; (I will detest the press turn system until the day I die)
-A terrible world map;
-A terrible story;
-Terrible characters;
-Terrible pacing and
-A terrible difficulty curve.

How that can add up to a good game is 100% beyond me. I can usually see what others see in a game. With SMTIV I simply can't. It's not good, which is why I find myself casting around for a external reasons why people like it.

Incredible how truthful our subconscious can be. Let those thoughts bubble up to the surface and become your new reality.

If those things all bothered you about SMTIV, and you haven't played any other games in the franchies (at least mainline), then you probably won't like the franchise in general.

If you didn't like press turn, you probably weren't using it correctly. You have to actually exploit weaknesses/cover your own weaknesses or you WILL fail. That is how the game is designed.

The world map was terrible, I'll give you that one. The music gives it a few points though because that was one of my favorite tracks.

Was seeing the characters in a medival kingdom discovering electronic devices and having no idea what they were not fascinating and interesting? To really get the full effect of the storyline in SMT4, you really have to look at the details. Just as example of this, read the descriptions of all the relics before you hit A to sell them to a shop. Some of those should at least give you a chuckle.

Walter, Jonathan, and Isabeau were pretty boring, I'll give you that one. The especially disappointing thing about Walter and Jonathan was
there were no "angel" or "demon" forms for them, they just fused with Merkabah/Lucifer and that was all you got.
The other characters were more interesting though, such as Abbot Hugo, Hikaru, Tayama, Kaga, and more. If you don't know it already, I challenge you to go find the aspect of Tayama that was heavily implied but not directly stated. You might have missed it if you were just rushing through the game and not really taking the time to enjoy it.

The pacing complaint is one I hear often about this game and have never quite understood. I thought the only real instance of "bad" pacing was at the beginning when so much of it was trudging through Naraku, but then the reveal after Naraku was made so much better as it tried to give you the impression the entire game would take place in Naraku.

The difficulty curve is fairly standard SMT difficulty curve. The first boss will kick your ass if you don't know learn how to play the game correctly. Every game in the series has a boss like this. It was Minotaur in this game, Matador in Nocturne, and debatably Morax in Strange Journey, although it's been a while and I don't remember having too much trouble with him. Sure, some bosses were definitely harder than others. I know some bosses I got through on my first try, while others I had to figure out how to beat them, and some just had me stumped for a few days (
KING KENJI I'M LOOKING AT YOU
)`

Soriku

I mean, it's a bloody narrative RPG with
-A terrible combat system; (I will detest the press turn system until the day I die)
-A terrible world map;
-A terrible story;
-Terrible characters;
-Terrible pacing and
-A terrible difficulty curve.

How that can add up to a good game is 100% beyond me. I can usually see what others see in a game. With SMTIV I simply can't. It's not good, which is why I find myself casting around for a external reasons why people like it.

At least you didn't say terrible soundtrack. You'd have to die then lol.

Mortemis

Banned
Honestly 'one more game' doesn't sound so bad if it comes out soon. We'll get a new SMT game pretty quick, and another will come out a couple years after for the inevitable series revival. It'll be the same shit as before except we'll have a game quicker than 10 years!

Hylian7

CQiPTIeVEAAbax4.jpg:orig

CRISIS AVERTED

That definitely says final.

And if it somehow has "ers" all squished into a tiny space to make it say Persona I am officially done with this franchise.

Griss

At least you didn't say terrible soundtrack. You'd have to die then lol.

I actually did say terrible soundtrack in the thread I created, and it was the one thing people killed me on. I had to roll back on that one after thinking about it; it was clear I was wrong. Some great tracks in there for sure.

FluxWaveZ

I thought so at first, but the first "A" looks too far away from the "N" and the cracked border looks too close to the second "A" for "RCHY" to fit.

It's the space between the A and the N that bother me as well, but the first thing that had popped into my mind when the image started breaking down was "anarchy" because of that symbol. The first "A" could just be really stylized. Though there could also be something in-between. "Final" wouldn't surprise me.

Soriku

I actually did say terrible soundtrack in the thread I created, and it was the one thing people killed me on. I had to roll back on that one after thinking about it; it was clear I was wrong. Some great tracks in there for sure.

You had me going, but today...you live.

giphy.gif

spiritfox

Looking at it more, "Final" works better. Plus if it was Anarchy the first A should be the one with the anarchy symbol, not the second one.

Hylian7

It's the space between the A and the N that bother me as well, but the first thing that had popped into my mind when the image started breaking down was "anarchy" because of that symbol. The first "A" could just be really stylized.

anarchy-graffiti-3052.jpg

I was thinking something stylized like this, but having a more "hastily painted" look to it where the "A" part is more on the left side of the circle.

Perhaps it'll be something like "Final Days," a downloadable expansion that, say, covers
Flynn's past life in the CDF during the apocalypse
. Or
Post-ending content, since the page could represent the Firmament breaking apart.

BasilZero

Shin Megami Tensei IV Final Edition

3DS, iOS, android, PS4 and PC!!!!

One can only dream ;(

But it could also be a new sub series to the SMT series.

Oregano

Isn't it obvious?

Flynn and Jack Frost for Project x Zone 2 where Flynn will finally meet Chrom and Lucina and have hearty laughs about the fact that thet almost met once before.

Obvious guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom