• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne HD Remaster announced for Switch and PS4

Shouta

Pretty great for folks that didn't get to experience and it's the Raidou version too which is fantastic. Raidou deserves way more love.

night13x

Looks like this is based on the very last version of Nocturne (Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne Maniax Chronicle Edition which features Raidou ) as a base which never saw a release outside of Japan. This came after the Dante version. I am guessing that since this is a remaster HD, they will want to release the full on ATLUS version and also probably expired license to use Dante. Im ok with this.

Last edited:
Out of nowhere!! Awesome news. Makes me consider a Switch a bit more.

Also:
6c0.png

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Glad to see Atlus is getting their back catalog available on presumably future proof via back compat modern consoles (don't disappoint me Nintendo).

Talk about a series that is a wreck-spread across so many systems and so much of it has not been localized. Hope one day we can see the full catalog localized and on modern systems.

Fbh

Holy shit yesssss!!!!.
This has been one of my most wanted games in every "what older game would you like to see ported/remastered" threads around here. It sucked how there was no easy way to play it on modern consoles

I have never played any SMTs but I've read that some older SMT games can be insanely punishing. Is there truth in that?

Wouldn't call it "insanely punishing" but it is definitely harder than the majority of JRPG's.
It's a game that expects you to understand and fully utilize all the systems and mechanics if you don't want to get your ass kicked.

I think it got a reputation of being really hard because a lot of people went into it with the mindset of a standard JRPG, where a lot of mechanics (like buffs and debuffs) are often more of an optional thing than something you really need to master to win.

Last edited:

DESTROYA

Never played any in the series so I’m fairly excited for this one.
Wonder if you’ll be lost just playing this story wise going into the game.

smbu2000

So if Dante is out, can we get a sticker on front saying "NOT featuring Dante from Devil May Cry"?
In Japan they released a later version as well SMT3 Maniax Chronicle edition that was included with the Limited Edition version of Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs King Abbadon in 2008.

That version basically replaced Dante in the game with Raidou Kuzunoha. I’d imagine it’s easier for them to use their own character (Raidou) rather than having to get permission again from Capcom for Dante.

Ah fuck. Now I'm getting a Switch.

I mean I was gonna get one for SMT V but who knows when that's coming.
Aw man, really? That sucks. I was happy when I saw SMTV is getting simultaneous world wide release, but I guess Nocturne is another one of those "fuck you west" games if we're waiting from October all the way to Spring.

When did SMT V get announced, and why is is for Switch and not PS4/PS5?

This came out of nowhere, similarly to how they announced and released Persona 4 Golden out of the blue on PC - which was something i truly respected and was pleased about since the only way to play that game was buying a long dead niche handheld. I am really appreciative that they are releasing their catalogue on modern platforms, they realize that keeping them exclusive on old platforms and essentially letting them to "die" there isn't doing these video games any favors.

I played it a while back on PCSX2 on PC, not to completion and it's currently on hold, but enough of it to acknowledge that SMT III: Nocturne is an incredibly good game with a fantastic combat system. I will go back to it once i'm done with the Persona series.

yurqqa

First time I dropped this game. As I suspect most of the other newcomers.

And first time I finally learnt to use the buffs effectively in RPGs (I've played them since beginning of 90s on PC, but alas) when I decided to give the game another chance. It was the a SMT or Persona game for me and I just loved the setting.

Last edited:
First time I dropped this game. As I suspect most of the other newcomers.

And first time I finally learnt to use the buffs effectively in RPGs (I've played them since beginning of 90s on PC, but alas) when I decided to give the game another chance. It was the a SMT or Persona game for me and I just loved the setting.

That was a comically huge difficulty spike that i immediately googled because of my bewilderment. That thing hit like a brick wall, and these days it's probably one of the most popular elements regarding SMT III: Nocturne. After a little grinding and some new found knowledge regarding buffs and debuffs, it became comically easy in comparison.

Belmonte

I'm planning to finish SMT 1 and 2 before jumping into Nocturne. Hope there is a PC version by the time. If not, I will go for the PS2 version.

I like Persona but traditional SMT is where my heart is. I remember I stopped playing Persona 4 when I got my hands into Strange Journey for the DS, even with my preference for big screens. SMTIV was a great experience also but even without playing SMTIII, I felt how much the 3DS was limiting the game.

Nocturne, without the limitations of a portable must be outstanding!

Andyliini

Hopefully this has some kind of casual mode, I think I would enjoy the game far more then. I did enjoy SMTIV and Apocalypse, so I really want to try this again.

I guees this will be the version that didn't have Dante. At the end of the trailer it looks like we saw Raidou Kuzunoha. I hope Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2 sees a HD remaster too. PS2 was home to many good Atlus games.

Last edited:

JTCx

MOTHERFUCKERS!!! YES ITS HAPPENING!!!

Wait is that fucking Raidou in the trailer? If so hype levels just went up. No Dante it seems like, feelsbadman.

Not looking forward to running Labyrinth of Amala again.

I'm planning to finish SMT 1 and 2 before jumping into Nocturne. Hope there is a PC version by the time. If not, I will go for the PS2 version.

I like Persona but traditional SMT is where my heart is. I remember I stopped playing Persona 4 when I got my hands into Strange Journey for the DS, even with my preference for big screens. SMTIV was a great experience also but even without playing SMTIII, I felt how much the 3DS was limiting the game.

Nocturne, without the limitations of a portable must be outstanding!

I also want to play the entire mainline SMT series and Persona series, one of these days. This IP has always been extremely interesting to me because of how unique its themes and atmosphere is. I've played them on and off for years now, but i want to sit down and properly play them from start to finish; I especially want to replay to completion some of the ones i haven't touched in over 10 years, like the Persona 2 Duology.

I'm currently scratching an hour or so per day off of Persona 4 Golden which is the version i've always wanted to play, and thanks to its PC release, i bought it instantly. Gonna fully play Persona 3 FES once i'm done. Then go back to the Persona 2 duology.

Finally we'll have Raidou in HD!
Hope this opens up the chance for remasters of Raidou 1+2 and Digital Devil Saga 1+2.

I'm kinda excited for this just in the off chance it gets a PC release but I emulated the PS2 version earlier this year and now I'm kicking myself for it. Guess this time around I can get a proper ending. I got the normal Demon Ending first time around.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
THIS the PERFECT way to release it, there no need to change the visuals because that game visuals is already masterful.

out of curiosity, this game is not getting PS4 release? If its not then I guess just like Persona, SMT is mostly be on Nintendo systems.

edit: Who doing character designs for SMTV?
PQwR3ku.png

I want to say Kaneko but I could be wrong. No I'm wrong, watching the trailer again this looks like Masayuki Doi design who worked on SMTIV and Apocalypse.

Last edited:

kunonabi

THIS the PERFECT way to release it, there no need to change the visuals because that game visuals is already masterful.

out of curiosity, this game is not getting PS4 release? If its not then I guess just like Persona, SMT is mostly be on Nintendo systems.

edit: Who doing character designs for SMTV?
PQwR3ku.png

I want to say Kaneko but I could be wrong.

Nocturne is getting a PS4 release.

Pallas

Nice, surprising news. I unfortunately never got to play Nocturne, but I welcome the opportunity now.

Now if we could only get Digital Devil Saga and the Raidou/Devil Summoner games remastered and released on PS4 and/or Switch(I’d also love a Xbox release but that isn’t happening anytime soon)

Last edited:

Danjin44

Nice, surprising news. I unfortunately never got to play Nocturne, but I welcome the opportunity now.

Now if we could only get Digital Devil Saga and the Raidou/Devil Summoner games remastered and released on PS4 and/or Switch(I’d also love a Xbox release but that isn’t happening anytime soon)
Definitely play it, you know how some people will consider games like FFVII and Chrono Trigger as the best JRPG of all time!? Nocturne was that game for me, to this day its my favourite JRPG of all time.

Last edited:

Dory16

Banned
I'm dreaming of the day when I'll be able to dust off my switch lite to play anything other than a completely outdated sub-HD remaster. The last fresh game I liked was Astral Chain, it's that bad and the only one that caught my radar since was Luigi Mansion 3. I have no idea how Nintendo gets away with such an output.

What is funny is that I did mention this in one of the Nintendo/SEGA threads of predictions, but I expected it at New Game Plus.

Going to get this on PS4 and the 5th game on Switch.

Danjin44

Me either. They aren't very consistent. Still have to wait before buying it.
I wouldn't worry, If Persona 5 Royal and Catherine Full Body didn't got censored then I don't see any reason Nocturne gets censored.

Still have the PS2 version via PS3 BC and have yet to play it. Probably won't bother with the remaster. I am curious as to why a lot of people are hyping this game up. It has a 82 metacritic score. Is this hype warranted or is this another one of those quirky, cult classic niche japanese games like Deadly Premonition that gets overhyped?

Last edited:

brap

Banned
Still have the PS2 version via PS3 BC and have yet to play it. Probably won't bother with the remaster. I am curious as to why a lot of people are hyping this game up. It has a 82 metacritic score. Is this the hype warranted or is this another one of those quirky, cult classic niche japanese games like Deadly Premonition that gets overhyped?
Yes. That's exactly why it got high reviews. Getting high reviews from mainstream sites = niche cult classic.

Danjin44

Still have the PS2 version via PS3 BC and have yet to play it. Probably won't bother with the remaster. I am curious as to why a lot of people are hyping this game up. It has a 82 metacritic score. Is this the hype warranted or is this another one of those quirky, cult classic niche japanese games like Deadly Premonition that gets overhyped?
Because is legitimately fantastic game, great atmosphere and gameplay, in my opinion this is one of the best JRPG out there.

Grinchy

Banned
I came so close to buying this back in the PS2 days when I was looking for new RPGs but just never did for some reason. Same with Phantom Brave.

Maybe it's finally time I play this...next year.

JTCx

Still have the PS2 version via PS3 BC and have yet to play it. Probably won't bother with the remaster. I am curious as to why a lot of people are hyping this game up. It has a 82 metacritic score. Is this hype warranted or is this another one of those quirky, cult classic niche japanese games like Deadly Premonition that gets overhyped?
You wouldnt know because you dont play good games.

Aion002

It's amazing if you like old school hard JRPGs with a shit ton of strategy and grind. If you don't.... Well, you might hate it.

Top Bottom