• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne HD Remaster announced for Switch and PS4

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It is weird hearing voice acting in Nocturne.
Is it? Dragon Quest XI didn't have voice acting when the game originally came out in Japan but they added one once it got released in west and got JP voice when later released on Switch.

Last edited:

Sign

My only concern is them trying to capture a portion of the Persona audience by nerfing the difficulty.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
My only concern is them trying to capture a portion of the Persona audience by nerfing the difficulty.
No, they just add easier difficulty.
52vL3xR.png

Paltheos

Is it? Dragon Quest XI didn't have voice acting when the game originally came out in Japan but they added one once it got released in west and got JP voice when later released on Switch.

... yeah, actually, now that someone mentions it. Sound design is another part of Nocturne that stuck with me. There are a bunch of parts where a dialogue creep was just like in any other RPG, but there were allot of scenes where the silent text crawl punctuated by the sfx for the end of a thought contributed to the scene. Tough for me to say how. I can say though that when I think of spoken dialogue in Nocturne, I'm afraid of too much definition and something getting lost as a result of not perfectly sticking the landing (an old man concern - hopefully I'm wrong). Something a little more here though - I think the silence contributed to the game. Maybe it just drived in how not you being in Kansas anymore you are because you can't even hear people speak, man~. The game's visual design did such a great job of that and maybe the silent dialogue just got swept up in it.

Dark Rider

Depending on how faithful it is to the original I may be fully in for this one :messenger_beaming:
I haven't played it for ages so if i buy this it will be a good time to replay it.

johntown

Banned
Port begging for a PC release. Knowing Atlus probably 2025 but hopefully Persona 4 sold well enough that it might be sooner.

Naibel

Oh woow ! That was mighty unexpected ! I mean, I just, I can't even ! I have no words.

A Nocturne HD remaster ! I dreamed about it for yeaaaars !! The artstyle, the graphics, they just didn't age, a, single, bit ! And with voice acting included, holy shit !!!

I'm gonna preorder it, and I'm not doing it frequently. Nocturne was a one of a kind game that I would love to play in Glorious 4k.

As for censorship concerns ?
Expect the flamboyantly gay Manikin shop tenant to be rewritten by Atlus USA, just sayin'

... yeah, actually, now that someone mentions it. Sound design is another part of Nocturne that stuck with me. There are a bunch of parts where a dialogue creep was just like in any other RPG, but there were allot of scenes where the silent text crawl punctuated by the sfx for the end of a thought contributed to the scene. Tough for me to say how. I can say though that when I think of spoken dialogue in Nocturne, I'm afraid of too much definition and something getting lost as a result of not perfectly sticking the landing (an old man concern - hopefully I'm wrong). Something a little more here though - I think the silence contributed to the game. Maybe it just drived in how not you being in Kansas anymore you are because you can't even hear people speak, man~. The game's visual design did such a great job of that and maybe the silent dialogue just got swept up in it.

Yeah, I agree. I'd much rather there be no voice. The potential downsides are much greater than any upside in this case imo.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
As for censorship concerns ?
I could expect the same treatment as the gay couple in P5 Royal. That is, trying to fix it and failing miserably. xD

What really shocked me the first time I played Nocturne was the Pretas. Those little dicks.

I could expect the same treatment as the gay couple in P5 Royal. That is, trying to fix it and failing miserably. xD

What really shocked me the first time I played Nocturne was the Pretas. Those little dicks.
In the case of this remaster, there might be much less chance for meddling from ATLUS West. With P5Royal, besides its new material, the two scenes with the gay couple are also both slightly different in the Japanese release and would have required some additional localization work, which likely opened the door for the U.S. branch to push management for content changes. As long as the SMTIII remaster doesn't require tweaks to its existing English text, ATLUS West may not be extended the opportunity to rework the old material.

Last edited:
They need to rebalance the default difficulty.

It's fine.

I think the silence contributed to the game. Maybe it just drived in how not you being in Kansas anymore you are because you can't even hear people speak, man~. The game's visual design did such a great job of that and maybe the silent dialogue just got swept up in it.
This is an excellent point. I don't honestly mind them adding voice acting because it seems to be expected nowadays, as long as there's an option to turn it off. I like the silence really adds to the moodiness of the game.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
There was a stream with a bunch of japs talking about the series for a while. Buuut they showed the game too!

Here you can check the Matador fight.

Some things to notice:
  • Boney dude now has a voice.
  • HP and MP numbers no longer hover over the life and magic bars. (This annoyed me a lot in the original)
  • No slowdowns? Trailer seemed to have some of those during skills, but doesn't seem to be the case here.

Last edited:

Raimond

At last, the king is back.
The greatest game Atlus has ever produced is again available on modern machines.
If only anyone could understand their developer. (Atlus, P4G on PC and Nocturne on Switch/PS4? I just don't understand the distribution.)

Doesn't seem like it. Other people have explained in this thread already, but there's another version of Nocturne that was released in Japan only that substituted Dante with a character called Raidou who's from an SMT spinoff. Raidou appears in the trailer too so it's 99% this is the version we're getting.

That may be a downer but consider this: It seems clear Atlus will not be following in the footsteps of their previous remasters and enhanced iterations of shoehorning in waifus or drastically altering the original artstyle. We're safe.
Yes you are right. I didn't know this alternative version existed. Wow so all this version does is literally just replace Dante. Lol

TintoConCasera

Been trying the JP version of this on the Switch.

The good things: Looks awesome in handheld and it seems to run well (far better than in the initial reveal video, but we'll see). Overall feels great to play on handheld.

The bad things: videos are 4:3 and both the fights and the menus seem to take one or two extra seconds to load, which might make demon fusion even a bigger pain than before. Also the battle music seems to be compressed but hey, it still kicks ass.

I'm happy with it for now. If there are no major slowdowns during heavy spell casting I probably end up being very happy with this remaster.

TintoConCasera

Just to add a few more details:

Demon fusion works the same as before, but with that extra second of loading before seeing the expected result for the fusion. Seems like a total pain in the ass, hope they fix that lag when loading menos for the western release.

On the bright side, there seems to be a LOT of voice acting. For example, pixie has a few lines, Forneus is fully voiced and Jack Frosts hee-ho a lot.

ranmafan

I’m enjoying the game on the switch myself. The videos not being remastered is annoying but I can live with that. I haven’t come across the frame rate and loading issues I’ve heard on Japanese reviews yet, hopefully they aren’t as bad as I hear. And I hope they patch them. One thing I would say about the above video, while it’s true the price in Japan is high, most people buy from stores that discount it quite a bit. I ended up spending only like 5300 yen for it. Overall I’ve very happy with it.

Top Bottom