• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei V |OT| Persona heartless version.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm definitely glad I got it now.
do-you-see-the-light.gif

Buggy Loop

Got to 2nd area after like 17 hours. Am I a turtle? Loving it so much anyway. I think I just got extremely lucky on first boss to beat it on first try, there’s many optional and bosses that slapped me afterwards and had to rethink my team and essences in the true spirit of SMT. I cleaned the first map for all but 1 quest (way too hard).

I love the pace so far, I like that it’s not filled to the brim with conversations between characters , cutscenes, etc. Pure strategic combat and an exploration side that keeps growing on me. It’s the SMT I’ve enjoyed the most so far.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Got to 2nd area after like 17 hours. Am I a turtle? Loving it so much anyway. I think I just got extremely lucky on first boss to beat it on first try, there’s many optional and bosses that slapped me afterwards and had to rethink my team and essences in the true spirit of SMT. I cleaned the first map for all but 1 quest (way too hard).

I love the pace so far, I like that it’s not filled to the brim with conversations between characters , cutscenes, etc. Pure strategic combat and an exploration side that keeps growing on me. It’s the SMT I’ve enjoyed the most so far.

You can go back to these areas and there are side quests that you can't feasibly beat the first time you visit unless you grind for tens of hours.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I got megaten'd big time yesterday. 45 minutes and I got instakilled with a Mudo skill (appreciate the irony).

I haven't shifted resistances once - I'm holding out for an essence with no weaknesses (which to be fair I might already have, I've not paid attention to it particularly apart from checking the skills on the Aogami ones).

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I got megaten'd big time yesterday. 45 minutes and I got instakilled with a Mudo skill (appreciate the irony).

I haven't shifted resistances once - I'm holding out for an essence with no weaknesses (which to be fair I might already have, I've not paid attention to it particularly apart from checking the skills on the Aogami ones).
I doubt there'll be an essence with no weaknesses, unless it's some op shit from the endgame.

I switch resistances often if I'm having trouble with common enemies, and almost always before a boss fight.

Only thing I wish for is being able to change them on the fly. We could in SMT III and IV, don't get why we can't now.

Last edited:
i haven't had much time to play. i'm still not even at tokyo tower yet lol. when should i go back and fight that big rock dude?

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
What’s everyone’s verdict on the OST?
Very good. Some battle themes are a bit meh compared to others that are pretty good, but the overall package is great.

I'm specially loving some of the tunes that play while exploring Da'at, like for example the first music you hear when starting the second area.

Last edited:
I am on ng+ going for chaos ending and the speedrun is real lol. It took me 45 hours for my first run and on my second I am only about 90 minutes through and almost done. At the last area already. I knew it was going to be ridiculously fast on your second or third run, but this is nuts. I chose the easy way and transferred my entire character/demons over so I one-shot everything. Feels good.

TintoConCasera

I am on ng+ going for chaos ending and the speedrun is real lol. It took me 45 hours for my first run and on my second I am only about 90 minutes through and almost done. At the last area already. I knew it was going to be ridiculously fast on your second or third run, but this is nuts. I chose the easy way and transferred my entire character/demons over so I one-shot everything. Feels good.
That's crazy but also kinda cool, I'll love seeing all the endings with such minimal effort.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Makes sense. You can see all the enemies. You can sprint. You can kill the bosses fast. Not much else to this game to stand in your way.

MudoSkills

I'm probably gonna do all the side quests (particularly the ones that branch) and hunt for Miman on repeat plays. I want ALL THE MIRACLES.

Can stats pass 99? I know you could go past the limit in Apocalypse, can't recall for SMT IV.

I'm probably gonna do all the side quests (particularly the ones that branch) and hunt for Miman on repeat plays. I want ALL THE MIRACLES.

Can stats pass 99? I know you could go past the limit in Apocalypse, can't recall for SMT IV.

Yes, you can go beyond 99. I am not sure if there are diminishing returns or not. My MC is well over 110 attack and hits like a truck. Also, the demons you can fuse at endgame have insane base stats that will cause them to go way over 99 for all their stats when leveled to 99. I think one of my demons has an average of like 105 across all stats. Things get crazy at endgame.

What’s everyone’s verdict on the OST?

I know one of the main composers that has returned also did a bulk of the SMT IV soundtrack: in comparison, this one seems more inspired by ambient/drone compared to SMT IV, which was big on the funky darkwave/synthwave stuff. This is outside of the battle themes which are really good.

I really dig the OST, all in all.

Last edited:

MudoSkills

Yes, you can go beyond 99. I am not sure if there are diminishing returns or not. My MC is well over 110 attack and hits like a truck. Also, the demons you can fuse at endgame have insane base stats that will cause them to go way over 99 for all their stats when leveled to 99. I think one of my demons has an average of like 105 across all stats. Things get crazy at endgame.
Happy Oh Yeah GIF

TintoConCasera

I really like it, I especially liking the battle themes.
Hell yeah, some of those slap extra hard. So far I think this is my favorite.

I think I still prefer SMT IV's battle themes, mainly because of C2 and C3, but so far I'm more than happy with what we got in SMT V.

Mercador

Just finished a fight by a hair... after 20 minutes, I win by a critical Agi. I was a bit surprised that recarm didn't bring my demons back in the line, was it that way before? I don't remember.

Danjin44

Just finished a fight by a hair... after 20 minutes, I win by a critical Agi. I was a bit surprised that recarm didn't bring my demons back in the line, was it that way before? I don't remember.
That was always the case, when one of your demon dies in battle they got back to your stock, you need first bring them back to life and then re-summon them.

Last edited:

Mercador

"Change" is option you use to re-summon them or replace demon in your active party with different demon from your stock.
Yeah, I saw that with the current demon, but I didn't see that option on the PC. This is the first time I got a challenge like that, demon lv23 and I was 19 with a team of 18s.

Bkdk

SMT 5 mods for PC with emu

Come on atlus, do the right thing and release pc version now before it's too late to take profits. Fuck that garbage switch, steam deck is on the way too if they want handheld exposure.

Also looking at this makes me think the next game would clearly be gen-shin megami tensei.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Hmm, can you resummon them in fight? I haven't noticed the option.
I think only the Nahobino can do it. If you change with one of the summoned demons they'll just swap themselves out not fill the empty slot.

So if one of your guys gets knocked out it can take two full turns to get them back. One to resurrect and one to summon.

TintoConCasera

Yeah it's not so bad later on, specially when you demons start to be able to use items.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
SMT 5 mods for PC with emu

Come on atlus, do the right thing and release pc version now before it's too late to take profits. Fuck that garbage switch, steam deck is on the way too if they want handheld exposure.

Also looking at this makes me think the next game would clearly be gen-shin megami tensei.

Its never too late to take profits. What are you on about?

Kimahri

Banned
I eish this game had autosave. It's a fucking chore sometimes needing to go big disrances just cause you want to be on thr safe side before bttling something new and clrarly dangerous.

It just feels so.. Archaic not to have it. I can't stand replaying shit just cause I wasn't prepared for that thing I didn't know was gonna kill me before I fought it and found out it was gonna baerage my weak spot.

Danjin44

I eish this game had autosave. It's a fucking chore sometimes needing to go big disrances just cause you want to be on thr safe side before bttling something new and clrarly dangerous.

It just feels so.. Archaic not to have it. I can't stand replaying shit just cause I wasn't prepared for that thing I didn't know was gonna kill me before I fought it and found out it was gonna baerage my weak spot.
Oh come on, save point are not at all far from each other and there is no random encounter so you can easily get away from them if you low on health or MP.

SF Kosmo

That said, being able to naruto run around every enemy and back to the save point in 5 seconds is pretty game changing.

cireza

Banned

And you are playing the most user friendly SMT game I have ever played. In this one you can easily avoid all enemies, save points are everywhere, and you can instantly go back to the last save very early in the game. No sense of danger anymore. You are not experiencing what it means to have all your team close to dead, and wondering if you can take the risk of advancing just a bit more to uncover more of the dungeon, while the next random battle might eventually finish you off.
And also you did not have to be weak to Mudo and Maha to be instant killed in the past. It simply worked.
Even recruiting demons is super easy, they join you very easily compared to other games.

This is honestly a very friendly SMT.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The 2nd fight against Lahmu was little brutal, the problem was in 2nd phase I barely had any MP left to work with.

Danjin44

Barely survived. Went in expecting to die like I usually do to these bosses so I can set up the best party/demon combo with resistances. Get to second Phase and had like 4 demons left and no SP on MC and barely etched out a win. Was a lot of damn fun.
Thank god I got the Miracle so Demons could use item, neither me or my Demons had any SP left.

SF Kosmo

And you are playing the most user friendly SMT game I have ever played. In this one you can easily avoid all enemies, save points are everywhere, and you can instantly go back to the last save very early in the game. No sense of danger anymore. You are not experiencing what it means to have all your team close to dead, and wondering if you can take the risk of advancing just a bit more to uncover more of the dungeon, while the next random battle might eventually finish you off.
And also you did not have to be weak to Mudo and Maha to be instant killed in the past. It simply worked.
Even recruiting demons is super easy, they join you very easily compared to other games.

This is honestly a very friendly SMT.
Yeah this game is not really brutal hard it just has bosses that will punish you for not building the right team. It's unforgiving more than brutal hard.

Kimahri

Banned
Oh come on, save point are not at all far from each other and there is no random encounter so you can easily get away from them if you low on health or MP.
There are battles you know nothing going in. Say, at the school for example. I aced every battle there, until one that just wiped me without giving me a chance to act. In that locating I had to lrave thr school if I wantef to save. I have no patience for that kind of trial and error anymore. Call me old, whatever. When I get wiped out before I get time to react and respond, I lose interest.

Yed, this is the most user friendly. And for the most part it's pretty good. But that doesn't make all choices good. I hate replaying shit. I just do. It's an instant fun killer for me. When dying at a boss for example, give me a retry option. Allow me to go in again knowing what I know now. Instrad of forcing me to go through talking and other uninteresting stuff a second time.

Danjin44

There are battles you know nothing going in. Say, at the school for example. I aced every battle there, until one that just wiped me without giving me a chance to act. In that locating I had to lrave thr school if I wantef to save. I have no patience for that kind of trial and error anymore. Call me old, whatever. When I get wiped out before I get time to react and respond, I lose interest.

Yed, this is the most user friendly. And for the most part it's pretty good. But that doesn't make all choices good. I hate replaying shit. I just do. It's an instant fun killer for me. When dying at a boss for example, give me a retry option. Allow me to go in again knowing what I know now. Instrad of forcing me to go through talking and other uninteresting stuff a second time.
I personally have zero issues with it because to me dying is part of any video games and I personally don't need to "retry" for the bosses because most of the time I like to adjust my team before retrying the fight again and save point is not at all far from boss so I can just easily dash to it.

I mean no offence but if you really that impatient then you should put the game on easy so you can get trough the game as fast as possible.

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
I personally have zero issues with it because to me dying is part of any video games and I personally don't need to "retry" for the bosses because most of the time I like to adjust my team before retrying the fight again and save point is not at all far from boss so I can just easily dash to it.

I mean no offence but if you really that impatient then you should put the game on easy so you can get trough the game as fast as possible.
No, that just makes it boring. I likr a good challenge, but thr eay challenges are presented here is pretty lame at times.

Mostly it's not an issue, but there are better eays of doing it.

Danjin44

No, that just makes it boring. I likr a good challenge, but thr eay challenges are presented here is pretty lame at times.

Mostly it's not an issue, but there are better eays of doing it.
I'm sorry but your "issue" is barely issue other than you just being impatient about it, I'm playing the game on hard and yes I died few times but I never got frustrated.

In fact I personally find it refreshing to see a game without auto-save.

Kimahri

Banned
I'm sorry but your "issue" is barely issue other than you just being impatient about it, I'm playing the game on hard and yes I died few times but I never got frustrated.

In fact I personally find it refreshing to see a game without auto-save.
Okay then. I guess we just have differing opinions then 🤷‍♂️

TintoConCasera

In that locating I had to lrave thr school if I wantef to save.
How about pressing L to teleport to the last save point.

You'll still have to manually go from the save point to where yo were before, but the Nahobino is so fast that I can't see that as an issue.

Top Bottom