• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shining Resonance Refrain is coming to the West this summer (PC/PS4/Xbone/Switch)

Battlechili

Banned
SEGA announced today that its bringing the action RPG Shining Resonance Refrain, an enhanced port of the previously Japan only PS3 game Shining Resonance, to the West this summer. In addition to its pre-existing PS4 version, the game is also coming to PC via Steam, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch! The game will cost $49.99.

Trailer:

Source

Last edited:

Battlechili

Banned
FINALLY
After so many years of waiting this game is finally coming over. And the fact that they're doing a day one PC release for a JRPG like this is really surprising and awesome. Game looks pretty.

Ugh, shinings been dead to me since they killed off the strategy series. More generic anime rpg fodder.

Wasnt the ps3 version kinda mediocre anyways?

dacuk

As this trailer is pure CGI, is there any video about the gameplay itself?
I still resent the abandonment of the SRPG genre by the Shining series.

Yagami_Sama

For Switch too ? Nice one Sega. I was quite interested on this game, and now since it will be released for Switch too, I will buy for sure.

Shouta

As this trailer is pure CGI, is there any video about the gameplay itself?
I still resent the abandonment of the SRPG genre by the Shining series.

Here are a few videos from the PS3 version on Youtube.

I haven't played this one but generally speaking, the recent Shining games tend to be interesting mechanically but are pretty poorly balanced so they're not terribly interesting. The stories are largely excuses to highlight the voice actors and actresses as well from what I've heard. So it's unlikely to appeal to everyone but might be fun if you're in the mood for it.

staen

Interesting. Looks cool, lets hope it gets a physical version and an English dub.

From the link in the OP:

Shining-Reso-Refrain_02-21-18_Launch-Edition.jpg

Ridcully

Also, does the game not have cutscenes? So far it just looks like talking heads.

It's a niche JRPG, so while there's one or two, they're used sparingly. Budget and all that. Maybe this release will bring about a resurgence and more money can be poured into Shining as a franchise. That'd be neat.

Glad they announced this before it came out in Japan so I don't get buyers remorse.

This announcement is HUGE though as not only was it passed over for localization, its a sega japan game for pc! Persona and or Yakuza collection for 2020?

Last edited:
how can the xbox and pc can get a game like this or Valkyria chronicles but not something like Yakuza or Persona? It puzzles me

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
how can the xbox and pc can get a game like this or Valkyria chronicles but not something like Yakuza or Persona? It puzzles me
I dont know about Yakuza, but Atlus is kind of stubborn about what system they will release their games in to. All Persona mainline will always release in Playstation and all mainline SMT game will release on Nintendo systems. If I remember correctly the only mainline SMT ever released on playstation was Nocturne.

I dont know about Yakuza, but Atlus is kind of stubborn about what system they will release their games in to. All Persona mainline will always release in Playstation and all mainline SMT game will release on Nintendo systems. If I remember correctly the only mainline SMT ever released on playstation was Nocturne.
SMT 2 came out on the Super Famicom and eventually the original Playstation.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
SMT 2 came out on the Super Famicom and eventually the original Playstation.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Then I guess I really don't know why Atlus are stubborn about releasing their games on other systems. I would be fantastic if we got Persona 5 on switch.

staen

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Then I guess I really don't know why Atlus are stubborn about releasing their games on other systems. I would be fantastic if we got Persona 5 on switch.

I'm wondering if there's some kind of deal or informal agreement between the companies to keep mainline SMT for Nintendo and Persona for Sony. Maybe Atlus receives additional promotional/marketing assistance from Nintendo/Sony for keeping those series exclusive to their systems? Does anyone remember the Fire Emblem: Awakening/SMTIV $30 eshop credit deal? The Persona 5 anime is also produced by a studio owned by Sony. Just a guess, but I feel it has something to do with Atlus' relationship with the two companies.

Mecha Meow

Eh, I'll take a chance on it and get the Switch version if they have it running at 60fps. I'll get the PC version later otherwise.

Media Vision made the great Digimon Cyber Sleuth games. They also made Summon Night 6 which is spectacular! I'm glad they are behind this. I expect a really enjoyable game.

Last edited:

bufkus

so is this just using the shining name for kicks? i don't see how it has any resemblance to shining, and obviously Camelot (if they're even still around) wasn't involved.

Top Bottom