• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Hashimoto talks possibilites for FFXVI and X-3 (+ comments on other projects)

artsi

If they haven't started on XVI yet, then I guess Tabata's team would be on it and they will begin when XV is out.

(Director might not be Tabata tho, he can always be a producer and appoint Ito or anyone else to direct)

I looooove X but I really have no interest in another Tidus/Yuna game. As already said ITT Jecht prequel or completely new story set in Spira.

Please,PLEASE don't announce anything now.

There's more than enough lined up for release.No body wants 5+ years of anticipation.
KH3 was announced 3,5 years ago and all we got this year was 2 screenshots.

It is the Square Enix way.

Which reminds me it will soon be a full year since we got anything from VIIR.

kromeo

X-3 would slay if it retcons the audio drama from X-2 and brings back YRP and the ATB system. Let us have an old fashioned Final Fantasy!

God no, Paine and Rikku were awful. X-2 battle system with Braska, Jecht, Auron please

And as much as I'm looking forward to XV, I hope XVI goes in a different direction aesthetically

I remember when Yoshinori Kitase was claiming in an interview that there's no way to know if FFXIV would have a "modern" setting or a "medieval" one. That was a few weeks before SE officially unveiled FFXIV (1.0). The game had been in development for about 5 years when Kitase did that interview.

I'm fully expecting FFXVI to already be in at least pre-production despite Hashimoto's statement.

Oh boy, can't wait to see this nugget.

8JIhpSa.gif

rockyt

By the time FFXVI is released we should be late into PS6 by then and maybe X-3 will be released by then as well, but before X-3 is released they got to remaster X and X-2 for a new audience probably. Oh well here's looking to see FFXI and FF X-3 on PS6.

i don't believe Hashimoto - also why should he confirm that they are working on XVI ?

remember Kitases Interview in 2014 about the FF7 Remake?

rockyt

It's kinda sad most people do not have faith in SE release a FF mainline within one console life cycle. Hell I barely have faith in them releasing a mainline within 2 console cycle.

barybll

Banned
Agni philosophy as XI wouldnt be bad

Altho I am itching for a mainline medieval/renaissance fantasy final fantasy again, it has been some time since XII

What are you talking about neither X,XI,XII, or XIV had a modern or futuristic setting in fact the only thing that fits that description recently is XIII and XV? I swear these type of reactions always confuse me.
Narrowing it down to "every offline game of the last decade" doesn't narrow it down very much.

Koozek

Lol, of course FFXVI is already in development. Hashimoto always says this before a game is revealed officially. In 2014 he and Kitase still said that there's no proper FFVII remake in work and that they aren't sure if they could even make it, when we now know from interviews with Nomura and Kitase that it was already in pre-development during that time:

Kitase:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-02-17-a-chat-about-that-final-fantasy-7-remake

Hashimoto:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKdNaV9lBCA

Also, interesting how Hashimoto specifically brings up the possibility of a non-modern setting, which matches what Verendus has been saying about FFXVI since 2013 ;)
Already on the way. The concept of it is also quite unique. It will certainly be something that hasn't been done before in Final Fantasy, if they manage to accomplish it. I'd put it in the back of your mind for now though, as I would personally expect FF15 and KH3 to be out before it.

A lot of the FFs are a mash up in my eyes. Even IX which has the tone you're describing has airships and so on.

XVI will be the opposite of XIII though. It's not futuristic so you might get what you want with that.

I see where you got your line of thinking from. But no, I wasn't referring to the Agni tech showcase (that's not what a concept demo looks like), that's just what those posters assumed. And XVI is in development, it's not just concept now. I didn't know that for a fact 9 months ago, I do now.

Oh my god, I keep forgetting about all that exploding blitz ball shit.

I've changed my mind, I absolutely want to see X-3 being made

I'll youtube it tho aint droppin 50 quid on dat shit

X-3 being made will only serve a comedy purpose. Ff16 not being in production might suggest Tabata but I would really hope for someone else. I'm all in for ffxv but Tabata has style of gameplay that is consistent in all his games and would prefer a more drastic change from 15 to 16.

artsi

X-3 being made will only serve a comedy purpose. Ff16 not being in production might suggest Tabata but I would really hope for someone else. I'm all in for ffxv but Tabata has style of gameplay that is consistent in all his games and would prefer a more drastic change from 15 to 16.

Tabata could also step in a producer role, and let someone else direct. He seems like a good manager and his team has worked pretty damn efficiently after he took control.

ConceptX

I could only see FFX-3 working as either a prequel or ignoring the audio drama as canon.

Hashimoto knew about FF7 Remake, so I'd wager they are working on XVI, even if it's with a skeletal staff, surely they know not to make the same mistake they did with Vs13, hence denying XVI's existance.

I thought Durante said it was in the works several years ago anyhow?

Kasper

X-3 or X-0, please. While IX is my favorite overall Final Fantasy, Spira is the most interesting setting to me and I'd love to either see Braska's journey or something completely new in that world.

I'm surprised they're even thinking about it, though, with all the Final Fantasy projects they've got going it seems insane to perhaps greenlight yet another one.

Koozek

I could only see FFX-3 working as either a prequel or ignoring the audio drama as canon.

Hashimoto knew about FF7 Remake, so I'd wager they are working on XVI, even if it's with a skeletal staff, surely they know not to make the same mistake they did with Vs13, hence denying XVI's existance.

I thought Durante said it was in the works several years ago anyhow?
Verendus, not Durante :D

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=223927098&postcount=169

X-3 or X-0, please. While IX is my favorite overall Final Fantasy, Spira is the most interesting setting to me and I'd love to either see Braska's journey or something completely new in that world.

I'm surprised they're even thinking about it, though, with all the Final Fantasy projects they've got going it seems insane to perhaps greenlight yet another one.
Verendus also said there might be a FFX spin-off, which could be FFX-3:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=169350163&postcount=13930

Nomura was also talking about an FF6 Remake and iirc Verendus mentioned FF6 in his list

FFVII - FFX3 - FFXVI - FFVI

sounds good

Arkeband

Banned

Another all-male pilgrimage will surely piss people off who still haven't shut up about FFXV's cast.

Ehh...I don't think I agree with the thought that XVI is being developed already. At most it's in concept stage but I think they were serious when they said they want to finish XV and VII:R and then take the temperature of the series/fanbase.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Braska's journey sounds like a good idea in concept, but would you really want to play a game that already has a good 60% of its plot in flashback spheres in FFX? There's not many blanks to fill.
I'd still buy it day one

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This is ridiculous if true.

Who do you feel would have been making it?

I think that's the big question with things like this. There are a couple of gigantic teams on games like Final Fantasy XV and Final Fantasy XIV, so they need to find staff from somewhere.

Koozek

I think that's the big question with things like this. There are a couple of gigantic teams on games like Final Fantasy XV and Final Fantasy XIV, so they need to find staff from somewhere.
See:
Yup, at least one of the bigger teams at BD5 (basically the FFXII/The Last Remnant team including Ito) could've been working on it and in fact, according to Kagari, they were hiring for a big game in the last two years or so, IIRC. FFVIIR isn't made in-house, btw. [Correction: One of the Co-] developers is CyberConnect2. So technically even BD1 (Kitase's FFXIII team) could help out.

adz2ka

My thoughts from reading the thread:

- FFX is the most overrated FF by a huge distance.

- Stating they haven't thought of ideas for FFXVI is bull to concentrate on XV's launch period. How people can't see this.

- FFVII: Remake is definitely not launching next year, even if it's as short as just the Midgar portion of the game.

- FFXII: Remaster will be released in the first half of 2017 for fiscal reasons if FFXV is under projection, or the second half if it meets targets.

Koozek

I am secretly hoping Agni will be turning into FFXVI.
image.php

Loved the whole AP thing too, but I agree with those wishing for a completely fresh premise for the next FF after this whole FFXVersus history. AP would have its roots in something we've known for at least 8 years already if it released in, say, '19.

AmyS

i'd be surprised if agni's philosophy doesn't become 16

I'd like for the Agni's Philosophy tech demo to the the inspiration for the next FF.

RRkBnIK.jpg

Agni's Philosophy runs at 60FPS on a GTX 680, uses 1.8GB VRAM. Can next-gen run it?

12-01-2012

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=502188

If agni's philosophy is literally the basis for FF16, I am wondering how a very large game with visuals and assets of that quality could be scaled across PS4 / PS4 Pro / PS5 by the time such a game could be realized and come to market.

Einhander

Nomura on FFV and FFVI remakes:

“Considering that we have remakes of Final Fantasy up to IV and then we have VII — I’ve been working with Mr. [Yoshinori] Kitase since Final Fantasy V, and we’ve noticed that V and VI are missing. That bothers me,” Nomura said. “How come we skipped over those two?”

VentureBeat

I'd like to see them being made for Switch in the same style as the FFIII and FFIV remakes, but with better graphics.

I personally want them to change it up for FF16 and go back to an old school fantasy setting. I feel like it would be pretty interesting to see modern square's take on it.

And for the love of god don't ruin my favorite FF. I love X so much, hell even X-2. I actually wouldn't mind a X-3, but I want absolutely nothing to do with that garbage story that came from the novel.

jett

D-Member

But not even a small core team working on it? If they really aren't working on FF16 at all, then I guess Tabata was right in that the continued existence of the franchise depends on the success of FF15.

Top Bottom