• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Finished this last night. It so poorly designed in some places but I couldn't help to enjoy it. And you can tell that there's a lot of talent behind it (engine issues aside).

Thinking about buying the DLC.

DLC is worth it since it really explains the game's plot. But it's mostly a stealth game.

Started my early save over again with the intent of finally playing through this and I'm very glad I did. I believe I'm towards the end of chapter 6 now and, despite some annoyances, have been enjoying myself so far.

I still prefer the more deliberate movement of games like Dead Space or Resident Evil Revelations 2 but the open encounter spaces balanced with the more constrained areas (siren fight) have kept the game exciting to go through. Hopefully the rest of the Evil Within keeps up the same quality.

drotahorror

I put a new gpu in, was going through this since I never finished it. I never noticed on my old GPU but I may have had SSAO off but wow, the SSAO implementation is awful in this game. It's all smudged and blocky looking. It looks really bad.

I went from AMD to Nvidia so I hope this isn't something only to do with my card. Like I said didn't see it on the amd card but I may not have even had the option turned on since it didn't run to well anyway.

Strike

On PS4 here. Is there any way to stop the game from freezing? I already uninstalled it and re-downloaded the patch to no avail. I haven't been able to get past the butcher room. Getting killed, grabbing the keys, and pressing the options button all seem to get the same result.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
On PS4 here. Is there any way to stop the game from freezing? I already uninstalled it and re-downloaded the patch to no avail. I haven't been able to get past the butcher room. Getting killed, grabbing the keys, and pressing the options button all seem to get the same result.

I played the PS4 disc version at launch, and did a main campaign replay after all the DLC hit. Never had the game freeze (framerate was rough as hell at launch, but never a freeze). Not sure what's going on there.

Strike

I have the disc version. For a moment, I thought it might have been something up with my hard drive or the disc being defective or something. I restarted my PS4 and that seems to have done the trick. Thanks.

Kevtones

Ugh. Chapter 6 is so poorly designed. The ending boss fight is such a fuck over.

Here was my inventory:

2x Harpoon
1x Freeze
1x Shock
4 Shotgun
5 Pistol
1 Grenade

I was down to my last two harpoons and I landed a headshot twice in a row. Still, that's shitty design to leave a level redo if you don't have the ammo.

Game is a 5/10 slog so far. Storyline is nonsense, the movement is sluggish and even the weapon impact is weak for a Mikami game. Bleh.

I'm about an hour in and enjoying it, but can anyone who's played the whole thing confirm whether this is more RE4 than Outlast?
I need a horror action game fix. I like stealth games just as much, but I'm not in the mood for that right now. I just wanna shoot and kill stuff.

I'm about an hour in and enjoying it, but can anyone who's played the whole thing confirm whether this is more RE4 than Outlast?
I need a horror action game fix. I like stealth games just as much, but I'm not in the mood for that right now. I just wanna shoot and kill stuff.

It's like 100% closer to RE4 than Outlast

I'm really liking this game. A few questions about upgrades though -
How important are matches? Will I run out if I burn absolutely every body I see on my way or should I skip some so I can save my matches for more important enemies? Should I be upgrading this first?
Anything else I should be upgrading first above everything else? I usually upgrade anything that has to do with health and bullet capacity since I tend to get hurt a lot in games and I'm not the best shot. I'm thinking those first.
Thanks.

I'm really liking this game. A few questions about upgrades though -
How important are matches? Will I run out if I burn absolutely every body I see on my way or should I skip some so I can save my matches for more important enemies? Should I be upgrading this first?
Anything else I should be upgrading first above everything else? I usually upgrade anything that has to do with health and bullet capacity since I tend to get hurt a lot in games and I'm not the best shot. I'm thinking those first.
Thanks.

Matches are very important. Don't use them on dead bodies. Think of them like RE4 melee. Stun an enemy and then run up and drop a match on them to instant kill them and anyone that's nearby too. It's more powerful than RE4 melee but there's a lot more risk to it too because there are no I-frames, it can be interrupted by enemy attacks, and you have a limited number of them.

I would recommend upgrading sprint as well, and harpoons on the crossbow if you have it yet.

The game is pretty amazing imo, glad you're digging it.

Matches are very important. Don't use them on dead bodies. Think of them like RE4 melee. Stun an enemy and then run up and drop a match on them to instant kill them and anyone that's nearby too. It's more powerful than RE4 melee but there's a lot more risk to it too because there are no I-frames, it can be interrupted by enemy attacks, and you have a limited number of them.

I would recommend upgrading sprint as well, and harpoons on the crossbow if you have it yet.

The game is pretty amazing imo, glad you're digging it.

What about those flammable stacks of hay? Are they worth burning?
I'm guessing no.

I think for the first time in 10+ years I might have to start over on casual. Chainsaw guy has killed me maybe 15 times now.
I was reading online and you can supposedly lure him into a dead body then set the body and him on fire. I did that and it didn't kill him.
They also said you can use a flash bolt and stealth kill him. That didn't work either.

And I can only assume that the game gets more difficult as I go one.
Any tips before I start over?

Never mind. Beat him right after I posted.
Just put 3 explosive arrows in the ground and made him detonate them, then a flash arrow to the face and 4 shotgun shots and that was it.

Well, I decided to change the difficulty to casual after chapter 3 and am now in chapter 9 and am somewhere between really liking and loving this game.
I'm not too overpowered but I'm not getting killed 20 times by a boss either.

Only really frustrating part so far was the boss with the safe on its head. That underground area where he constantly chases you is a maze. I was in there for a long time and wasted most of my resources killing him over and over while I found the pipe I needed to close.
There's also an obscene amount of ways to get killed in one hit. Not very cool.

Other than that it's a blast. I feel like an idiot for having this in my backlog for almost a year.

Can anyone tell me if the season pass is worth $15? Is there a lot of content?

The content may or may not be to your liking since it's pretty different from the main game. But there's a lot in it. Two 3-4hr story DLCs, and a 1-2 battle arena DLC. Both have additional modes and content under the base stuff.

Definitely worth the price.

Finally rebought this game and am in chapter 8. Honestly it's not bad. Janky as hell and the performance makes me want to pull my hair out, but I like the enemies and the settings. I still did not care for the intro. Way too fucking dark.

sphinx

the piano man
sorry for bumping but I'd rather put it here than open a thread.

*sigh..

I need a sequel to this... RIGHT NOW -_-

every couple of weeks or so I am like "that was a very good game, what else is there in the EW world?" and there's nothing cause no followup has been announced.

is it likely it will happen? I know bethesda said it sold enough to warrant a sequel but then went silent

does anyone know anything? :/

I just started playing this yesterday and got to the third chapter
village
area. It looks great but yeah it's a little rough around the edges on the PS4. Way more noticeable after coming off RE4 and TLoU both being 60FPS.

That aside, it looks good and I really dig the art style and so far the gameplay seems like fun. I'm guessing my upgrades should be focused on stamina? It's a bit annoying that I can only for a short period of time and then end up not being able to move for brief spell.

I'm bit confused with the match burning mechanic though. Am I supposed to be burning all the bodies?

sphinx

the piano man
I just started playing this yesterday and got to the third chapter
village
area. It looks great but yeah it's a little rough around the edges on the PS4. Way more noticeable after coming off RE4 and TLoU both being 60FPS.

That aside, it looks good and I really dig the art style and so far the gameplay seems like fun. I'm guessing my upgrades should be focused on stamina? It's a bit annoying that I can only for a short period of time and then end up not being able to move for brief spell.

I'm bit confused with the match burning mechanic though. Am I supposed to be burning all the bodies?

nooooo! matches are for active/moving enemies when you beat them down!!

many of the bodies you see lying around won't move at all and you'll waist them and on a first playthrough they are precious!

nooooo! matches are for active/moving enemies when you beat them down!!

many of the bodies you see lying around won't move at all and you'll waist them and on a first playthrough they are precious!

Shit, oops LOL

Thanks for the heads up though. I'll be a bit more strategic with them.

If an enemy runs near one of those bodies laying on the floor you can burn the body and it will get the enemy as well but they have to be exactly on top of the body when you burn it.

This pro fucking advice. Use bodies as traps EVERY TIME YOU CAN. i never had ammo problems. I am a fucking hoarder.

Luminaire

sorry for bumping but I'd rather put it here than open a thread.

*sigh..

I need a sequel to this... RIGHT NOW -_-

every couple of weeks or so I am like "that was a very good game, what else is there in the EW world?" and there's nothing cause no followup has been announced.

is it likely it will happen? I know bethesda said it sold enough to warrant a sequel but then went silent

does anyone know anything? :/

I hope we get a sequel. I really liked the game. Did you try the DLC?

I'm up to Chapter 5 and I currently have some weird
fucking spider lady chasing after me. I found I can trap in some room and hit a switch to dip her into some flames but it seems like I can only use that trap once because the switch stays down

Still diggin' the game but it's way rough around the edges and the story is a wee bit out there.

-MD-

I'm up to Chapter 5 and I currently have some weird
fucking spider lady chasing after me. I found I can trap in some room and hit a switch to dip her into some flames but it seems like I can only use that trap once because the switch stays down

Still diggin' the game but it's way rough around the edges and the story is a wee bit out there.

There are 2 fire traps in that room that you can use.

You can also blow up the barrels when she walks past them.

strafer

I don't know if I can finish this game. It's too much, and I'm only on Chapter 4.

I've reached The Ring girl, it was late at night and walked into the room with blood with no idea what to expect then this thing came out of the fucking floor, I said WHAT THE FUCK out loud, decided to run away and when I looked back I noticed she teleports and that's when I said nope and quit the game.

I don't wanna deal with dark black haired girls, especially with six legs. :(

I don't know if I can finish this game. It's too much, and I'm only on Chapter 4.

I've reached The Ring girl, it was late at night and walked into the room with blood with no idea what to expect then this thing came out of the fucking floor, I said WHAT THE FUCK out loud, decided to run away and when I looked back I noticed she teleports and that's when I said nope and quit the game.

I don't wanna deal with dark black haired girls, especially with six legs. :(

Protip run from her until you don't die

Also cherish that feeling of terror you get from her
cuz she just becomes a nuisance later on

sphinx

the piano man
I don't know if I can finish this game. It's too much, and I'm only on Chapter 4

I am gonna say, it feels very rewarding when you beat her and other bosses.

this game has problems (IMO mostly about pacing) but combat/fighting isn't one of them.

maybe take a break and come back later?

strafer

By the way, I havent upgraded any of my weapons yet, which weapon should i go for first? And what other upgrades should I focus on first?

By the way, I havent upgraded any of my weapons yet, which weapon should i go for first? And what other upgrades should I focus on first?

Spirint is important but you only need like up to rank 2 to be suffice.

Handgun aim/critic is Super important, for all guns. But your crossbow is the best weapon imo. Get flash bolt up to rank 2 min, it gives you enough time to stealth instant kill enemies, and they are cheap to make.

Sorry it's been a full year since I last played so my memory is hazy about what there is lol. But aim and critic are definitely important.

strafer

Spirint is important but you only need like up to rank 2 to be suffice.

Handgun aim/critic is Super important, for all guns. But your crossbow is the best weapon imo. Get flash bolt up to rank 2 min, it gives you enough time to stealth instant kill enemies, and they are cheap to make.

Sorry it's been a full year since I last played so my memory is hazy about what there is lol. But aim and critic are definitely important.

Should I also upgrade the crossbow or is the default good?

Should I also upgrade the crossbow or is the default good?

Not a priority I would say, if you have the gels it's more worth while to upgrade the bolts themselves. Okay I pulled up the list in front of me now:

TOP Priority, get these asap in any order of your choosing.

• Max Sprint time - MIN Lv 3 (I find that Lv 3 is bare minimum/ good enough for me)
  • Revolver - MAX accuracy and MAX Crit (These two are amazing at +50% critic you're oneshoting every other common enemy. You're not going to be using this against bosses so I would pick crit over damage, the final Crit upgrade cost a bomb so don't worry about saving it till later)
  • Flash Bolt - MIN Lv 3 (It may not seem like much but flash bolts are my favorite bolts. They are cheap to make, stuns enemies and open them up for a stealth kill allowing you to save ammo, they also reveal hidden enemies. Upgrade them to at least Lv 3 which would give you just enough time to stealth kill 2, maybe 3 enemies with one flash)
  • Harpoon Bolt - MAX (It would cause a bomb to invest, but at Lv 5 the Harpoon would be your highest damage dealer for how cheap it is to make. And it also has a flame tip, allowing you to ignite oil pools and set enemies on fire.... highly effective against a certain boss)

HIGH Priority, do this inbetween maxing out your top priorities and these are in rough order:

1. Matches stock
  2. Syringes stock
  3. Handgun stock
  4. shotgun stock
  5. Bolt stock
  6. Sniper stock
  7. Grenades stock
Basically this is a survival horror game in it's purest form, that means resource management is key. Stock up on EVERYTHING. Eventually you'll want to increase these to the max, prioritize whichever weapon you use more but I find the first three most plentiful in the beginning so there's a high chance you'll reach the max limit early and is forced to leave them behind.

Situational:

I recommend damage and reload time for shotgun and sniper if you choose to upgrade them. Mostly because these are your heavy hitters that you'll pull out for tough enemies, and you can't headshot instant kill those. For Magnum go for Damage and accuracy.

Upgrading your health needs no explanation but note that when you upgrade, it also heals you to that max. So if you find a safe room at 30%, upgrade your max health would also heal you to full. So use this tactically.

Syringe recovery as well, you can't go wrong with it.

strafer

Not a priority I would say, if you have the gels it's more worth while to upgrade the bolts themselves. Okay I pulled up the list in front of me now:

TOP Priority, get these asap in any order of your choosing.

• Max Sprint time - MIN Lv 3 (I find that Lv 3 is bare minimum/ good enough for me)
  • Revolver - MAX accuracy and MAX Crit (These two are amazing at +50% critic you're oneshoting every other common enemy. You're not going to be using this against bosses so I would pick crit over damage, the final Crit upgrade cost a bomb so don't worry about saving it till later)
  • Flash Bolt - MIN Lv 3 (It may not seem like much but flash bolts are my favorite bolts. They are cheap to make, stuns enemies and open them up for a stealth kill allowing you to save ammo, they also reveal hidden enemies. Upgrade them to at least Lv 3 which would give you just enough time to stealth kill 2, maybe 3 enemies with one flash)
  • Harpoon Bolt - MAX (It would cause a bomb to invest, but at Lv 5 the Harpoon would be your highest damage dealer for how cheap it is to make. And it also has a flame tip, allowing you to ignite oil pools and set enemies on fire.... highly effective against a certain boss)

HIGH Priority, do this inbetween maxing out your top priorities and these are in rough order:

1. Matches stock
  2. Syringes stock
  3. Handgun stock
  4. shotgun stock
  5. Bolt stock
  6. Sniper stock
  7. Grenades stock
Basically this is a survival horror game in it's purest form, that means resource management is key. Stock up on EVERYTHING. Eventually you'll want to increase these to the max, prioritize whichever weapon you use more but I find the first three most plentiful in the beginning so there's a high chance you'll reach the max limit early and is forced to leave them behind.

Situational:

I recommend damage and reload time for shotgun and sniper if you choose to upgrade them. Mostly because these are your heavy hitters that you'll pull out for tough enemies, and you can't headshot instant kill those. For Magnum go for Damage and accuracy.

Upgrading your health needs no explanation but note that when you upgrade, it also heals you to that max. So if you find a safe room at 30%, upgrade your max health would also heal you to full. So use this tactically.

Syringe recovery as well, you can't go wrong with it.

Wow, much obliged. Will print and save.

Top Bottom