• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinzo Abe: Japan ex-PM injured after reported gunshot attack [Update: RIP]

killatopak

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-62089486

Former Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has collapsed after he was shot at an event in the city of Nara.
Mr Abe was shot twice, with the second shot hitting him in the back, causing him to fall to the ground. Reports say his attacker has since been arrested.
Ex-Tokyo governor Yoichi Masuzoe said in a tweet that the 67-year-old Mr Abe was in a state of cardiopulmonary arrest.
The term is often used before a death is officially confirmed in Japan.
"Former prime minister Abe was shot at around 11:30 local time (02:30 GMT) in Nara. One man, believed to be the shooter, has been taken into custody. The condition of former prime minister Abe is currently unknown," chief cabinet secretary Hirokazu Matsuno told reporters.

RIP.

I only know him from anime memes.

Aggelos

"At a press conference Prime Minister Fumio Kishida said Abe was in a critical condition (as of 14:56 JST) and that "currently doctors are doing everything they can, at this moment."

"He was critically wounded, showing no vital signs and was in cardiopulmonary arrest, then has been confirmed dead before 6 pm JST."

The Shooting captured live

person of interest / alledged perpetrator.

Lxrlg67.jpg
QOGw5qe.jpg
WbLmUTI.jpg
dzJjMnK.png

Last edited:

Tams

Edit 2: RIP.

Edit: He's apparently still alive, I was too hasty there.

I'm no fan of his. Assassinations in democracies are despicable and cowardly.

Quoting gun statistics is pointless. It was a bodged together homemade one. Mental health statistics would be much relevant, and Japan hasanor issues there.

used a makeshift rifle it looks like
Shotgun.

Last edited:
Pretty crazy stuff.

But it does put a spotlight on how dissatisfied with the status quo that some people in Japan are becoming.

JP government debt which was already bad before Abe took office, basically sky rocketed, due to his monetary policies. And to the average person, the impact of those polices are starting to hurt due to the triple combination of increased taxes, plus price inflation, plus currency devalueation.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
In such a peaceful country, this is an appalling event.

I wonder what made the attacker commit such crime.

Sybrix

In such a peaceful country, this is an appalling event.

I wonder what made the attacker commit such crime.

I'm not too familiar with Japanese politics however he was Japan's longest serving PM and still had huge influence in the country.

I would suspect political motivation is behind it.

Tams

Chinese nationalist's maybe, he was defiantly an enemy of China.
There are very few in Japan.

The assassin, well rather murderer as assassin suggests some sort of organisation or big plot, is a Japanese man in his 40s.

He's likely a deeply disgruntled person who feels let down by society, and been failed by the state in being treated for it.

YukiOnna

Rest in peace.

I'm not by any means a supporter (not even a citizen) but this ain't it. Not the way to go for someone or have something like this happen, so it's horrible.

Sakura

Guy who killed him said it wasn't because of politics.
Obviously he had some sort of grudge towards Abe, but he hasn't been PM for 2 years now. Obviously he still had considerable influence, but still.

I'm sure security for any kind of event like this in the future will be much stricter. Disappointing day for democracy in Japan.

Tams

Moving on from ParaSeoul ParaSeoul the clown... to some armchair secret servicing:

It's just a view of a moment, but what looks like one of his security detail is staring at him, which is really fucking dumb if so.

0CBB3JA.jpg

NahaNago

yeah, I was shocked when I heard about the shooting. RIP.

I wonder how this will effect the country.

Last edited:

Tams

yeah, I was shocked when I heard about the shooting. RIP.

I wonder how this will effect the country.
Honestly, I don't think that much. Security will be stepped up for politicians for sure, and them getting close to crowds less common.

But many Japanese people are removed from politics anyway, so don't interact with much political, well, anything. Especially young people.

If the assassin (if you can call him that) is found to be mentally unstable, as seems to be the case, then perhaps more attention and resources will be given towards mental health. I'm very pessimistic about that though.

I also think Japaneae people easily react to events, but when it comes to actually doing anything as a result, especially if it means change...

Last edited:

NahaNago

Honestly, I don't think that much. Security will be stepped up for politicians for sure, and them getting close to crowds less common.

But many Japanese people are removed from politics anyway, so don't interact with much political, well, anything. Especially young people.

If the assassin (if you can call him that) is found to be mentally unstable, as seems to be the case, then perhaps more attention and resources will be given towards mental health. I'm very pessimistic about that though.

I also think Japaneae people easily react to events, but when it comes to actually doing anything as a result, especially if it means change...
I don't think it matters how removed they are from politics they would know who this guy is and hearing that the last prime minister was assassinated would be shocking. Could easily be used for fear mongering.

I agree that I don't mostly see change happening outside of stepping up security.

Lots of chinese seem to be celebrating this. Same disgusting behavior as you see US side on twitter
I can understand the Chinese side but why the US side?

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Certainly shocking news to wake up to. Largely because it is the former leader of a major global power. . . which is not known for such shocking events.

My guess would be Japan's participation in the Iraq War.

Last edited:

Mistake

I don't think it matters how removed they are from politics they would know who this guy is and hearing that the last prime minister was assassinated would be shocking. Could easily be used for fear mongering.

I agree that I don't mostly see change happening outside of stepping up security.

Condoning violence against political opponents. Same thinking was trending after….recent decisions

Top Bottom