• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shmups |OT| DoDonMuchihimetruxton Arrange v1.5

silentstorm

So, i am looking at the list of shumps for the Switch since i am considering getting one and i noticed a Darius collection and...no G-Darius, really?

And still no Darius Burst as well sadly.

Maybe they'll eventually prove me wrong, but I get the impression Square Enix is more interested in merchandising the Taito catalog, than putting the effort into releasing games. Getting titles like G-Darius and DariusBurst CS ported to new platforms would certainly be more work than what they're putting into the Cozmic Collection.

silentstorm

I guess, it still sucks because i would love to see a new port of G-Darius as the game is awesome.

Speaking of which, the PSP had some awesome compilations i would absolutely freaking love to see getting new versions or appear on the Switch, i swear, if the Switch got Parodius Portable, Gradius Collection, Salamander Portable, PC Engine Soldier Collection and Twinbee Portable it would become a lot more awesome.

Hell, any of those compilations would be awesome, particularly Parodius Portable, since i love Parodius, though the Twinbee series is also fun and the PSP compilation had a cool version of a Twinbee Game Boy game, in that they added color to the game and it looked pretty damn great and my God, i wish Konami would be the kind of company i could see doing that these days.

I'd love to see G-Darius, too, but it just says something, when the game is so conspicuously absent from the Cozmic Collection.

Similarly, it'd get great to see series like TwinBee, Gradius, Parodius, or even Otomedius made more accessible on modern systems or the PC (DRM-free, of course, my personal pet peeve). It's a huge shame the only way to play Gradius V is either a PS2 disc or on the PS3 via PSN. Konami just don't give a damn.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I guess, it still sucks because i would love to see a new port of G-Darius as the game is awesome.

Speaking of which, the PSP had some awesome compilations i would absolutely freaking love to see getting new versions or appear on the Switch, i swear, if the Switch got Parodius Portable, Gradius Collection, Salamander Portable, PC Engine Soldier Collection and Twinbee Portable it would become a lot more awesome.

Hell, any of those compilations would be awesome, particularly Parodius Portable, since i love Parodius, though the Twinbee series is also fun and the PSP compilation had a cool version of a Twinbee Game Boy game, in that they added color to the game and it looked pretty damn great and my God, i wish Konami would be the kind of company i could see doing that these days.
Sadly, I don't think we'll get new compilations of those games for a while. Those compilations on PSP are legendary, particularly the Salamander Portable collection for having a port of Xexex. I mean, the two Salamander games are underappreciated but to have Xexex on the UMD too is crazy.

However, considering that Switch is getting all the collections/ports of shmups nowadays, it wouldn't be too far fetched to say that if the collection did come out, it would be there. Shmups seem to be selling pretty decently on PS4 and Switch, so who knows if there will be a slight resurgence of them. There are plenty of shmups out there to port.

silentstorm

If they came out, they would be one day purchase for me, particularly a collection of Parodius games, i just love that series!

silentstorm

Honestly, there are still a lot of shmups that i wish would get a new port or at least a new entry, i mean, many games are arcade only, or only got released on an old platform and no service like VC brought them back yet.

Even when there could a chance, i mean, look at the arcade game Mazinger Z:
4238.jpg

It's arcade exclusive, never got any port and while it's not the greatest game ever, it's still a fun game that i wish would have a port, particularly since it's based on an old anime series...no, THREE anime series with the player choosing three robots to fight bad guys.

Even worse?

The franchise it's based on never died, for God's sake, Mazinger Z:Infinity is a movie that came out last year and it makes constant appearances in video games alongside franchises like Gundam, to a point where they just felt like giving Kabuto Kouji, the pilot of Mazinger Z, a new and exclusive mecha for a game that was all about crossovers between mecha anime while everyone else including the Gundam series got stuck with their canon mechas:

You'd think that being a game based on an influential anime franchise that still managed to recently get a movie and constantly appears alongside Gundam, to a point where they still make wholly original mechas in games for the Mazin characters, that the Mazinger Z shmup would have gotten a port somewhere, but nope, arcade only.

Or Hyper Duel, would love to see it get a port for the Switch, or Harmful Park.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I would really like to know the logic behind Twitch's filters. Looking under "Shoot 'Em Ups" right now and it has games like Star Fox, House of the Dead 2, and some phone game called Azur Lane. The panels for DonPachi and Ikaruga are just purple with a question mark. It's absolutely terrible. Shmups were never a big thing over there but streams are actually harder to find since the change. The old user-managed group system was way better, but I guess someone high up needed to look busy so made this new, terrible filter system instead.

It's like looking at anime sites and they decide to put Psycho Pass under comedy because there was that one time a character told a joke. >_<

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR

M2 visited ATLUS a few days ago and tweeted it out. Since M2 has been snapping up licensing for a lot of CAVE's titles, I expect this visit would be to discuss the upcoming port of ESP Ra.de and perhaps the two other ESP titles (Galuda I & II). Historically, ATLUS has published a lot of CAVE's titles on console and I believe they still hold some of the licensing rights.

silentstorm

Psyvariar Delta is coming to Steam!!
I have to admit, i didn't see that coming but more shumps being released to PC is only a good thing!

And yes, PS4 and Switch owners have had the ability to buy this game for months now, it's just that PC gamers also get the chance now!

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Psyvariar Delta is coming to Steam!!
I have to admit, i didn't see that coming but more shumps being released to PC is only a good thing!

And yes, PS4 and Switch owners have had the ability to buy this game for months now, it's just that PC gamers also get the chance now!
I'm still waiting for my physical copy to arrive.

It's certainly unique. The graze mechanic throws a lot of people off, but that's what makes Psyvariar so interesting.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR

Our first JAEPO announcement, TATSUJIN, the developer who manages TOAPLAN’s catalog, is joining the exA-Arcadia Creator Alliance! All your games are belong to us!

Our second JAEPO announcement, Natsume Atari’s elite development team, TENGO PROJECT, joins the exA-Arcadia creator alliance! Hardcore action awaits!

---

Significance? Toaplan's catalogue is pretty vast, so this opens up the possibility for ports of their games as well as modern releases in those old franchises. Their games include Hellfire, Tatsujin/Truxton, V-V/Grind Stormer, Batsugun, Fire Shark, and Zero Wing.

Tengo Project was responsible for Wild Guns: Reloaded.

I'm not particularly bullish on the whole Exa-Arcadia thing, but I'll more generally take those announcements to mean both companies/developers have things in the works that will be available to the public at large.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I'm not particularly bullish on the whole Exa-Arcadia thing, but I'll more generally take those announcements to mean both companies/developers have things in the works that will be available to the public at large.
That's my guess (and hope) as well. While I appreciate what eXA is attempting to do, I'd rather be able to... you know... actually play these games if they're ported to console/PC.

That's my guess (and hope) as well. While I appreciate what eXA is attempting to do, I'd rather be able to... you know... actually play these games if they're ported to console/PC.
Agreed. Like I posted in an Exa-Arcadia thread (that I believe you created), I get the feeling the hardware & games are going to be more of a collector's product, rather than something aimed (or at least adopted) by mass audiences. I'd think the developers releasing newly announced games on the hardware would still want to have their titles available on as many platforms as possible.

Shifty

I wonder, does Bangai-O count a a shmup? It's 2D and has a whole lot of projectiles, but uses 8-way free scrolling movement and gravity so I'm kind of iffy on its genre definition.

56ee7734d70fd002273760.gif

Last edited:
I wonder, does Bangai-O count a a shmup? It's 2D and has a whole lot of projectiles, but uses 8-way free scrolling movement and gravity so I'm kind of iffy on its genre definition.

It's arguable but Bangai-o is commonly classified as a shmup. I'd put the n64/DC Bangai-o in the shmup genre but the DS and XBLA games are almost closer to puzzle games in their approach.

Excellent games, regardless.

At the very least, I consider it part of the larger shoot-em-up genre, even if it's not a typical horizontal or vertical shooter.

I wish there was an official and more convenient way to play the original game(s) on modern systems.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR

56ee7734d70fd002273760.gif
Yes, though the definition has gotten broader as time goes on.

If someone says Bangai-O isn't a shmup, I don't see how they can call Thunderforce II a shmup when it has similar 8-way scrolling sections.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
So, I was watching Woolie Vs. and his love of Ikaruga. Is there a physical copy of this game available for the switch?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
So, I was watching Woolie Vs. and his love of Ikaruga. Is there a physical copy of this game available for the switch?
Rumored...

There are other comments from Nicalis about doing a physical Ikaruga (and possibly Radiant Silvergun) release later this year, but nothing official has been confirmed.

It is sold digitally though, as an indie for some reason?
Yeah it's already available on the eShop, published by Nicalis, which is why their comments about making a physical version carry some weight.

Last edited:
After playing the PS4 port of Ikaruga (which far as I've seen is the same on Switch), it's not a version of the game I'd actually want to own physically. Since it's really just a port of the PC release, the game retains the same weird little hiccups (nothing major, admittedly), but my bigger issue is the time it takes between death and starting a new game--the duration is too long and hurts the desire to keep playing, especially if right form the start you're having a bad run.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Rumored...

There are other comments from Nicalis about doing a physical Ikaruga (and possibly Radiant Silvergun) release later this year, but nothing official has been confirmed.

Yeah it's already available on the eShop, published by Nicalis, which is why their comments about making a physical version carry some weight.

Awesome! Hopefully they do and it will be priced competitively (20 to 30 USD).

petran79

Banned
Been trying to get through this on Lunatic, it's been proving to be quite the challenge. Although it is down to pattern recognition and muscle memory at this point.
One of the hardest danmaku I've tried so far, but easily one of the most hilarious. I took this from youtube to show it off.

There was a horizontal, probably western shooter game where you literally controlled a penis and were shooting sperm all over the screen. Can not find the title

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Relevant shmup/shooty/pew-pew news, mostly from JAEPO 2019 (Japan Amusement Expo):

New Neo Geo MVS title Xeno Crisis available for preorder (only £269)

RKP1KMhm.png

Taito shows of a full bank of Darius titles at JAEPO 2019:

JAEPO2019-Taito-Darius.png

A bunch of shmups like Iron Cripticle, Rival Megagun EX, Devil's Engine, Vrtra Hexa (a few posts up) got shown off, too.

---

Limited Run confirms a release for Game Tengoku Special in the West:

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Via Gematsu

Vasara Collection (Vasara 1 and 2) confirmed for Switch, PS4, and PS Vita some time in 2019. The games are a cool blend of mecha and Japanese medieval aesthetic, similar to Guwange and M.U.S.H.A. Both titles are top-down shooters with an emphasis on using your high-damage melee attack to cancel bullets.

This is notable since neither Vasara game has been ported to consoles before.

Each level has a series of 'special' enemies as well as a handful of sergeants who act as mid-bosses. Kill all of them to get a 'Perfect' clear on the stage (this is tallied up at the end of each stage).

Vasara-Collection-Physical_01-30-19-600x234.jpg

Futhermore, Strictly Limited Games will be printing physical copies.

No release date was confirmed.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Something cool from the shmup community:

Completing both ZeroRanger AND Ikaruga at the same time, with a nice 2-loop clear of ZeroRanger itself (starting at the 29 minute mark).

I started replaying Mushihimesama on Steam.

Played the shit out of that game on ps2 (Even have the statue that came with it) but over time it sorta fell by the wayside. Replaying it was very much, "Hey this game feels brand new again". Sucks I had to pay extra for 1.5 though.

Now if only the 360 ver of Futari would be made BC.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I started replaying Mushihimesama on Steam.

Played the shit out of that game on ps2 (Even have the statue that came with it) but over time it sorta fell by the wayside. Replaying it was very much, "Hey this game feels brand new again". Sucks I had to pay extra for 1.5 though.

Now if only the 360 ver of Futari would be made BC.
Excellent game! It definitely has enough depth to warrant playing it over and over (and over). I don't know if I'll ever play it seriously but it seems like a good one to learn.

Excellent game! It definitely has enough depth to warrant playing it over and over (and over). I don't know if I'll ever play it seriously but it seems like a good one to learn.

Yeah it's very solid with a cool ost as well.

Though I mostly took to this one at the time simply because it was available. Average US arcade would have no Cave shmups so you were stuck with Mame, which didn't feature anything past Progear. So any newer titles that got ported to consoles would get a ton of play. :messenger_savoring:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Yeah it's very solid with a cool ost as well.

Though I mostly took to this one at the time simply because it was available. Average US arcade would have no Cave shmups so you were stuck with Mame, which didn't feature anything past Progear. So any newer titles that got ported to consoles would get a ton of play. :messenger_savoring:
That's why I bought a 360: to play the handful of 2000-era shmups that it got. My copies of SDOJ, Mushi Futari, ESPGaluda II, etc are precious to me.

PS4 and Switch are getting shmup ports, though. There was a serious drought on consoles for about 5 years running.

That's why I bought a 360: to play the handful of 2000-era shmups that it got. My copies of SDOJ, Mushi Futari, ESPGaluda II, etc are precious to me.

PS4 and Switch are getting shmup ports, though. There was a serious drought on consoles for about 5 years running.

Yeah shmups were like the saving grace for Japan's 360 support.

It's too bad Cave didn't continue with the Steam releases. I probably would have repurchased everything...

Shifty

Something cool from the shmup community:

Completing both ZeroRanger AND Ikaruga at the same time, with a nice 2-loop clear of ZeroRanger itself (starting at the 29 minute mark).

Blimey. It's like those videos of people 1CCing games by playing both P1 and P2 by themself (2CCing? :pie_thinking:), only with totally different game mechanics per hand. Mighty impressive.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Wow, ZeroRanger looks mighty -- needs ports to all platforms asap!

silentstorm

Wow, ZeroRanger looks mighty -- needs ports to all platforms asap!
Well, there's a reason why people have been enjoying ZeroRanger a lot, or why it appeared on some apparently really popular Youtuber called Dunkey's top games of 2018 list and why the Reddit Shumps board has people stating that after trying the game, they want more of the genre.

It's just a really well made game with a great art style, some twists and a great soundtrack and it's pratically my favorite shmup of 2018(then again, i haven't played Rolling Gunner) and i heavily recommend it.

And yeah, that game needs ports to platforms like the Switch pretty damn fast.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Good interview with Kazuma Kujo, former director at IREM. (link at Siliconera)

A screenshot surfaced showing unreleased R-Type Final 2 footage which sparked further discussion on Twitter.

rtypefinal22_thumb.jpg

---
The screenshot, which comes from advertising for an Eizo monitor display that highlights the monitor’s different modes and options, was found by @OKA_B_1B3 on Twitter recently, showing a seemingly in-development R-Type game.
Kujo, on Twitter, commented on the picture saying that it comes from back when Irem’s R-Type team was considering making a new game under the development name R-Type Final 2. The picture ended up being used for the advertisement and an Irem April Fools’ joke titled ‘Grand Finale’s Ambition’. According to Kujo, the green line on the right side of the screen would have been a real-time active indicator showing the player the current level of difficulty.
In another Tweet, Kujo stated that he was surprised at how his previous Tweet took off, but said that even if it were to be made, it probably wouldn’t be called R-Type Final 2, because players would probably get angry if a new game was made after the previous game was titled Final.
Kujo also talked about a bit of the development of R-Type Final. According to him, he felt sorry for titling it thus, but at the time, demand for side-view shmups was declining, and the team thought they wouldn’t be able to continue to make more games. Thus, they put all that they wanted to do at the time into R-Type Final with the intent of that being the last game. Kujo ended off his thoughts by saying that he will start thinking of what he can do for the series from now on.
---

Oh, what could have been!

kingbean

So. Devil Engine is amazing so far.

Love the sound track and visuals. Only played 10 minutes so far but it feels great.

Last edited:
Top Bottom