• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shmups |OT| DoDonMuchihimetruxton Arrange v1.5

Hudo

I played Raiden III, IV and V!
The best of these is Raiden IV, in my opinion!

The fifth game was a bit boring for me! No TATE mode too :( Also, the UI was very confusing! But it's a good game,despite its flaws!
Well, I should get around to Raiden III and IV eventually, then. Still a bit occupied by Lightening Force/Thunder Force IV.... hot damn that sprite-work is glorious. Never seen such beautiful parallax scrolling in my life.

cireza

Banned
Raiden V also has too many instances of enemies coming from the bottom of the screen and shooting immediately at you. Totally unpredictable, unless you know the game by heart of course. I hate this.

Hudo

Raiden V also has too many instances of enemies coming from the bottom of the screen and shooting immediately at you. Totally unpredictable, unless you know the game by heart of course. I hate this.
So just like real life, then!

But yeah, this is also something I hate. But if Raiden is a series that originated from the arcades (which I assume it does?), then this is a valid, albeit somewhat scummy, thing to do. You wanna get those fools to spend more coins, man!

cireza

Banned
So just like real life, then!

But yeah, this is also something I hate. But if Raiden is a series that originated from the arcades (which I assume it does?), then this is a valid, albeit somewhat scummy, thing to do. You wanna get those fools to spend more coins, man!
There are actually many shmups that deal with this in a better way. Most of the time, when the enemies enter the lower part of the screen they stop shooting. Sure this is not realistic, but this is a video-game after all. It needs to be fun, not realistic !

Last edited:

Hudo

There are actually many shmups that deal with this in a better way. Most of the time, when the enemies enter the lower part of the screen they stop shooting. Sure this is not realistic, but this is a video-game after all. It needs to be fun, not realistic !
I agree. You kinda made me now pay attention to how enemies enter the sceen :D

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Hudo Hudo Raiden V is pretty good, but I prefer IV. I need to sink more time into V because maybe I'll change my mind. I love the spectacle of it all. Probably one of the best-looking shmups made so far (in terms of graphical flare).

Raiden Fighters Aces (Fighters, Fighters 2, and Fighters Jet) is the best Raiden money can buy, though. Not a single mainline Raiden game can compare.

Pachi72 Pachi72 Space Megaforce is sweet. I admit I played it in a very long while but I remember enjoying it, especially the soundtrack.

Hudo

Hudo Hudo Raiden V is pretty good, but I prefer IV. I need to sink more time into V because maybe I'll change my mind. I love the spectacle of it all. Probably one of the best-looking shmups made so far (in terms of graphical flare).

Raiden Fighters Aces (Fighters, Fighters 2, and Fighters Jet) is the best Raiden money can buy, though. Not a single mainline Raiden game can compare.

Pachi72 Pachi72 Space Megaforce is sweet. I admit I played it in a very long while but I remember enjoying it, especially the soundtrack.
Raiden Fighters? Oh boy. Okay. So I'll look into III, IV and the Fighters Aces! Thanks, duders, haha. But let me finish Thunder Force IV, first ^^

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
The official title for 'Radirgy S' is revealed: Radirgy Swag. It will launch Spring 2019 in Japan (download only), but the specific platforms haven't been announced.

mainvisualforRadirgySWAG.jpg

Milestone hasn't shown off any gameplay yet, so I wouldn't get too excited. This is gameplay from the first Radirgy:

xDEGwdd.gif

Radirgy is a scarcely-known shmup that has a similar artstyle to Jet Grind Radio. If you live in the West, the best way to try earlier Milestone titles is the 'Ultimate Shooting Collection' on Nintendo Wii.

cireza

Banned
I remember this game from the Dreamcast later years. There was a bunch of pretty good shmups released at the end of the life of the console. Radirgy was okay, not great.

I remember Chaos Field that I loved. Not a great game though, but for whatever reason, the game really clicked for me.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Another spot of news:

Vasara Collection will have a Timeless mode, which not only changes the graphics but also procedurally-generates the stage. Gematsu with the details:

A procedurally generated game mode, completely built from scratch with polygonal graphics, which places the players against hordes of evil in a continuous battle for the top of the leaderboard.
In Timeless Mode, graphics are not the only thing that have changed, new gameplay mechanics have been added to make full use of the newly added widescreen gameplay area, such as a new Dash move, and support to up to four Players in co-op has been added.
Also, in Timeless Mode, you can play with any combination of heroes from both Vasara 1 and 2, each with their own stats and gameplay style.

Vasara-Collection_03-11-19.jpg

Could be cool. I'm getting the collection either way so I guess this is a nice bonus. 4-player co-op is pretty darn neat for an extra mode, I have to admit.

I remember this game from the Dreamcast later years. There was a bunch of pretty good shmups released at the end of the life of the console. Radirgy was okay, not great.

I remember Chaos Field that I loved. Not a great game though, but for whatever reason, the game really clicked for me.
Both games have enough depth to their scoring and they're both competent shmups. Not gonna be everyone's favorite but I know some nerds who absolutely loved those titles.

Hudo

That Gradius mothership model from the bottom of the article looks rad:

konamivisit06.jpg
Yeah! That looks like a plastic model that has been photographed. Would be pretty rad to have a plastic model of the mothership, ha! But I have to admit that my favourite Shmup-series from Konami is still Twinbee. Especially Detana!! Twinbee. But I highly respect Gradius, though.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Keep your eyes on this system11 thread for the upcoming Fightcade 2019 festival in Spain which includes a lot of shmups.

It's taking place on April 5th - 7th.

Venue:
Casa de Cultura de Murchante
Calle Mayor, 104, 31521 Murchante, Navarra, Spain
The next 5-6-7th April 2019 will be celebrated the most important Arcade event in Spain again .
The next edition will be focused mainly in the SHMUPS and Head to Head Versus games .
Tickets available here :

67-DE49-B4-DA7-F-4-A80-919-B-74-DE9-CCF8-FBE.jpg

5-BE2-AB8-B-0578-4-AFB-9-D5-D-4-FCBACAA4-A49.jpg

5396-B242-1-A66-4-E42-969-B-4-EA05-C6-A1-D53.jpg

9-CA9-FE9-F-4-DF1-4477-84-C4-F2-E825068-D91.jpg

List of the shmups available (as of this posting):
CAVE:
Donpachi
Dodonpachi
Dodonpachi DOJ & BL
Dodonpachi DFK 1.5
Dodonpachi SDOJ
Ibara
Ketsui
Progear

TOAPLAN:
Batsugun & Special
Dogyuun
Fixeight
HellFire
Out Zone
Tatsujin Oh
Vimana
V-V

PSIKYO:
Dragon Blaze
Strikers 1945 II
Strikers 1999
Gunbird 2

RAIZING:
Mahou Daisakusen
Soukyugurentai
2-Battle Garegga
Armed Police Batrider
Battle Bakraid
Great Mahou Daisakusen

CAPCOM:
1941 Counter Attack
VARTH
Carrier Air Wing
19XX

SEIBU:
Raiden

WARASHI:
Shienryu

TREASURE:
Radiant Silvergun

VIDEO SYSTEM:
Sonic Wings

TAITO:
Darius Gaiden
DariusBurst Another Chronicle EX

VISCO:
Storm Blade

IREM:
Image Fight

NICHIBUTSU:
UFO Robo Dangar

NEO•GEO:
Blazing Star
Pulstar
Sonic Wings 2
Sonic Wings 3

NAOMI :
ALL SHMUPS via NetBoot

TAITO Type X/X2:
ALL SHMUPS via MULTI HDD

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
PSiKYO Vol.3 is available for preorder, a regular edition ($35) and a limited edition ($85; pictured).

Expected to ship May 30th, 2019, but that could be a placeholder.

-577731.1.jpg

Games included in this Volume:

Gunbarich -- a strange shmup/Arkanoid hybrid. Not a favorite of mine, but definitely a peculiar game that is worth trying.

Strikers 1999 -- a.k.a Strikers 1945 III. This has never received a physical release.

Zero Gunner 2- -- helicopter shmup with an interesting aiming mechanic. Enemies appear from all side of the screen.

Sengoku Cannon -- previously only available on the Playstation Portable. This is a sidescrolling shmup similar to Tengai/Sengoku Blade.

---

Strikers 1999 is a real gem and worth the price of admission if you are a shmup nerd.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Can Anyone recommend an arcade stick that works with 360 and ps4?
A single arcade stick that you buy off the shelf? No. That doesn't exist.

You'll need to build one or mod one using a Brook's Universal board.

I like Hori as a brand because they build really strong, easy-to-mod cases. It's the case that matters. The buttons and stick and PCB can all be swapped out.

I guess it depends on how deep you wanna get. It would be more expensive -- but easier -- to just buy a good, used 360 stick and also a PS4 stick.

A single arcade stick that you buy off the shelf? No. That doesn't exist.

You'll need to build one or mod one using a Brook's Universal board.

I like Hori as a brand because they build really strong, easy-to-mod cases. It's the case that matters. The buttons and stick and PCB can all be swapped out.

I guess it depends on how deep you wanna get. It would be more expensive -- but easier -- to just buy a good, used 360 stick and also a PS4 stick.

I see. Can you sell the gutted parts after you mod the case or is it basically junk at that point lol

I'll think about it then. Wish I could find a bug princess hori stick that would be sweet to mod.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I see. Can you sell the gutted parts after you mod the case or is it basically junk at that point lol

I'll think about it then. Wish I could find a bug princess hori stick that would be sweet to mod.
I wouldn't consider it "junk", but no you aren't going to sell the parts. The buttons and stick are actually the cheapest parts. You can do a full 8-button + joystick + balltop + washers of your color choice for about $50, which is the price of a new controller. It's the case that is the expensive part, so if you're going to buy a stick and only one stick, you may as well build your own or buy a high-quality model (based on the case) and then convert it over.

Which system are you playing shmups on more, 360 or PS4? Just buy a used stick. I don't know what your pricerange is but "cheap" would be about $50 and "normal" would be around $120. Get a used one for the system you play shmups on more often and go from there.

It's better to have a stick than none at all.

I wouldn't consider it "junk", but no you aren't going to sell the parts. The buttons and stick are actually the cheapest parts. You can do a full 8-button + joystick + balltop + washers of your color choice for about $50, which is the price of a new controller. It's the case that is the expensive part, so if you're going to buy a stick and only one stick, you may as well build your own or buy a high-quality model (based on the case) and then convert it over.

Which system are you playing shmups on more, 360 or PS4? Just buy a used stick. I don't know what your pricerange is but "cheap" would be about $50 and "normal" would be around $120. Get a used one for the system you play shmups on more often and go from there.

It's better to have a stick than none at all.

Obviously i'm not going to trash the guts but yeah they're kinda useless then..

Most of my shmups are on 360 so I think i'll buy a used 360 one and then convert it whenever I feel like. I see one on ebay right now, maybe i'll get a good price. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Assuming it's legit, today isn't exactly the best day to announce R-Type Final 2. My excitement takes a further hit, upon scrolling to the bottom of the page and seeing mention of there being a crowdfunding campaign. Again, assuming this is a legit announcement, hopefully the crowdfunding won't be needed to make the entire finished project a reality.

Last edited:

Hudo

In any case, this gives me an excuse to post this:

I actually liked R-Type Final, even though I am not the biggest R-Type fan.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Neptunia Shooter is coming out for PC.

• Shmup It Up – Progress through six 8-bit inspired shoot ‘em up stages as enemy dogoos spew out an array of bullet-hell attacks in this 8-bit dimension!
  • Who Will Claim Victory? – With Steam online leaderboards, bullet-hell fans everywhere can now stake the claim as the best Neptunia Shooter player in this dimension! Challenge your friends and see who gets the higher score in six different levels!
  • Choose Your Ammunition! – Start your shmup adventure as the self-proclaimed protagonist, Neptune! At the end of each level, you face off a Goddess boss, who joins your party after defeating them. Switch between five possible characters on-the-fly and utilize each of their unique bullet-hell patterns to defeat the evil space dogoos and the final boss!
  • Broadcast Your Skills – With the Steam Broadcasting feature, you can show off your shoot ‘em up and dodging skills to the whole world!

---

Neptunia-Shooter_2019_04-08-19_003.png

Neptunia-Shooter_2019_04-08-19_006.png

Looks okay, but as always the proof is in the playing.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Cover art for PSiKYO Collection Vol. 3 revealed:

psikyo-collection-vol-3-multilanguage-577721.24.jpg

Games included are Strikers 1945 III (a.k.a Strikers 1999), Zero Gunner 2-, Sengoku Cannon, and Gunbarich.

Play-Asia gots the goods.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
StunFest 2019 will be held May 17th - 19th in Rennes, France.

Plasmo -- a well-known player, archiver, and pundit within the shmup community -- offers the details:

The biggest live event for shmups is coming closer! This year's edition in particular has a number of surprises to offer.
The action is centered around three live superplay demonstrations by truly expert players. As usual, each game is presented twice on the big stage.
1) Blue Revolver (Parallel Mode) played by Kiwi
2) Touhou 13 - Ten Desires (Lunatic) played by Maribel Hearn
3) Mushihimesama Futari 1.5 (Ultra Mode) played by Gus
Moreover, we will have various announcements and specials coming up. Wait for it!
Apart from the main stage, there will be a freeplay area with many cabs + all the games you could ever wish for. One of the cabs will be set up for live stream, so you can follow what's going on even if you can't make it to France. For the first time, we will also have a dedicated Touhou section with games & merch.

Dazrael

It's not just me who thinks that Strikers 1945 II on Switch isn't the arcade version is it? Is it based off the Playstation port? Those pixelated explosions just don't look right to me.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
It's not just me who thinks that Strikers 1945 II on Switch isn't the arcade version is it? Is it based off the Playstation port? Those pixelated explosions just don't look right to me.
I don't know what version it is based upon. I would assume the arcade ROM but I honestly don't know.

It was handled by ZeroDiv. They have spotty quality, which isn't to say all their ports are bad quality, just spotty.

Dazrael

Yeah I can’t quite place it either but it doesn’t look quite the same as the PCB. It leaves me a little concerned for Strikers 1999 but at least there is only the PCB to go from.

silentstorm

So, the Konami Arcade Pack has come out on Steam and...it only has the American versions of the games and not the typically more belovep JP versions, oh no, the two versions are split in two different packs, with the JP versions being in the Japan Only version.

And you can't buy that version if you don't live in Japan, trust me, i tried to get the Japan Only version for Gradius, Twinbee and others but Steam tells me it won't allow me to buy it because it has items restricted to my country...what the fuck!?

Why couldn't all versions be in one single pack to begin with, or why the hell would you bother putting the typically less beloved versions all in one version and make it the only version anyone who isn't living in Asia can buy!?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Why couldn't all versions be in one single pack to begin with, or why the hell would you bother putting the typically less beloved versions all in one version and make it the only version anyone who isn't living in Asia can buy!?
This is what I'm crossing my fingers for. They've made it evident that there will be more digital volumes, so if there are future plans for a physical release now wouldn't be the time to announce it.

silentstorm

Only if it's a physical copy, but, as someone who has a PC with no DVD or CD drive to put physical copies in, that would be pointless to me(like Rolling Gunner), so i would still be forced to play with the US versions even though the JP versions are widely considered to be better.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Raiden V: Director's Cut confirmed for June.

This is one of the newer "AAA" (read: non-doujin) shmups for modern consoles. My one gripe is the pointless voiceover/story, but that can be turned off in the Option menu. Otherwise, it's a glitzy, explosion-packed Raiden game with a ton of levels compared to previous entires. I recommend it.

Raiden V: Director's Cut confirmed for June.

This is one of the newer "AAA" (read: non-doujin) shmups for modern consoles. My one gripe is the pointless voiceover/story, but that can be turned off in the Option menu. Otherwise, it's a glitzy, explosion-packed Raiden game with a ton of levels compared to previous entires. I recommend it.
Raiden v is the only one I played, very good. 4 on 360 is stupid expensive last I checked

Also I picked up ketsui for ps4 finally ^_^

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Raiden v is the only one I played, very good. 4 on 360 is stupid expensive last I checked
Raiden 4 is not that great, in my opinion. I have the PS3 (digital) port. If you're gonna branch out into other Raidens, I think the best in the franchise are the three spin-offs Fighters, Fighters 2, and Fighters Jet.

Also I picked up ketsui for ps4 finally ^_^
Oh geez, hope you like it. Deathtiny is one of the best shmup releases this gen so far. M2 ShotTriggers are masters of their craft.

Remember that Bravery = higher score. Point-blank those pesky ships like an absolute madman and don't rely on your lock-on shot too much. Or, do the opposite of what I just said if you are focusing on survival.

Raiden 4 is not that great, in my opinion. I have the PS3 (digital) port. If you're gonna branch out into other Raidens, I think the best in the franchise are the three spin-offs Fighters, Fighters 2, and Fighters Jet.

Oh geez, hope you like it. Deathtiny is one of the best shmup releases this gen so far. M2 ShotTriggers are masters of their craft.

Remember that Bravery = higher score. Point-blank those pesky ships like an absolute madman and don't rely on your lock-on shot too much. Or, do the opposite of what I just said if you are focusing on survival.
Cool, I won't sweat skipping 4 then. There's that 360 compilation also.

I heard ketsui was one of the harder ones, and it always looked insane to me. I will probably die a lot lol.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Cool, I won't sweat skipping 4 then. There's that 360 compilation also.

I heard ketsui was one of the harder ones, and it always looked insane to me. I will probably die a lot lol.
Try DeathTiny mode. It's "easy" compared to the rest. It has a very fun scoring system and a lot of top-tier players in the shmup community are already falling in love w it, so don't assume it's a throwaway mode like I first did. :goog_wink:

I'm not saying you should ignore the "normal" modes of course but Deathtiny is pure gold, probably better than the base game both for newbies and for enthusiasts wanting to play for score.

Also there's "Super Easy Newbie Mode" which is a fun 20-minute clear through the game.

Quick EDIT: oh, and there's a Rewind mode. You practice sections (little savestate "snapsots") that you died on during previous runs. It's quite streamlined and useful.

What kind of insane opinion is this?

Have you been infected by illness related diseases caused by Blu Ray which is killing MILLIONS OF PEOPLE every day?????

I might got it to then, because I agree. ;)
HAH! The Blu Ray fumes have gotten to me, I have to admit it.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I don't think it deserves its own thread, but Jaimers takes down Rival Megagun with a 1CC on Very Hard:

Impressive skill on display.

Top Bottom