• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shmups |OT| DoDonMuchihimetruxton Arrange v1.5

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Just want to share that Gundemoniums is currently my favorite shmup/bullet hell for PS4/Vita (cross-buy!). For some reason it plays like a Cave shmup but with animu art and terrible localization. I play it from time to time and I never get bored with it.

Also, any recommendations on PS4/Vita bullet hells? I was thinking of Dangun Feveron but it's pricey at the moment.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Just want to share that Gundemoniums is currently my favorite shmup/bullet hell for PS4/Vita (cross-buy!). For some reason it plays like a Cave shmup but with animu art and terrible localization. I play it from time to time and I never get bored with it.

Also, any recommendations on PS4/Vita bullet hells? I was thinking of Dangun Feveron but it's pricey at the moment.
If you like vertical shmups, try Ghost Blade HD. Feels kinda-sorta like a CAVE game but with slower bullets and simpler patterns. It rewards point-blanking your enemies. The combo gauge is very lenient (don't get hit = combo keeps building).

$10.00, so it's a bit cheaper than Dangun Feveron.

But to be fair, Dangun Feveron is a cut above the rest when it comes to shmup ports. M2 ShotTriggers is a very talented dev team. Battle Garegga and Ketsui are also really good ports (haven't tried Mahou Daisakusen yet). The point is: they're definitely pricier than most shmups, but you're getting the Rolls Royce treatment with M2. Keep them in mind for a rainy day.

Chittagong

Gold Member
So I finally got a setup that makes playing these games a bliss, a Retropie + TES stick. Getting to games is quick with a minimal UI, and arcade games perform better than old console games.

5f1cdcef-ce63-478f-8aukvr.jpeg

After some TES stick drama, I started with Dodonpachi. Really fun, although I suck at it. I will try and follow the advice of getting in 10 minutes each day. Since Retropie can be always on, it’s quick to jump in.

Some questions I had about bullet hell games

1. Where should I focus my eyes on? My ship, or above it?

2. How do I know what the hitbox of my character is? It seems really small, many times I thought I’d die, yet I survived.

3. Are those concenteric circles of bullets always avoidable?

4. Are enemy characters usually non-dangerous in these games? Meaning I just need to dodge projectiles?

5. What are some other good MAME shmups?

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
So I finally got a setup that makes playing these games a bliss, a Retropie + TES stick. Getting to games is quick with a minimal UI, and arcade games perform better than old console games.

5f1cdcef-ce63-478f-8aukvr.jpeg
That screen is just asking to be rotated for vertical shmups...

After some TES stick drama, I started with Dodonpachi. Really fun, although I suck at it. I will try and follow the advice of getting in 10 minutes each day. Since Retropie can be always on, it’s quick to jump in.

Some questions I had about bullet hell games

1. Where should I focus my eyes on? My ship, or above it?
Not an easy question to answer. "It depends". Ideally, keep your ship in your lower peripherals and focus in a wide cone in front of it. When you move, look at the path you intend to move your ship through. Knowing where ships are coming from helps you manipulate the pattern. If you know where patterns are coming from, you can more-or-less "ignore" them and focus your eyes on other things.

In spite of what the flurry of bullets might make you feel, you shouldn't be reaction-dodging in bullet hell games. It's a big distraction game intended to make you lose your nerve and crash into something.

2. How do I know what the hitbox of my character is? It seems really small, many times I thought I’d die, yet I survived.
Yeah, from the mid-90s onward a lot of shmups began giving the player smaller and smaller hitboxes.

For DoDonPachi in particular:

Dodonpachi%20-%201%20-%20Hitbox.jpg
Dodonpachi%20-%203%20-%20Hitbox.jpg
Dodonpachi%20-%202%20-%20Hitbox.jpg

3. Are those concenteric circles of bullets always avoidable?
Yeah, everything is avoidable in DoDonPachi. When a difficult pattern is coming your way, try to tap into a safe spot and let the pattern "fall" past you. Often, you'll crash into bullets when you should've stayed still. Try it. Stay still and watch how closely the bullets graze by you.

4. Are enemy characters usually non-dangerous in these games? Meaning I just need to dodge projectiles?
Depends on the game, but the general rule is that stuff on the ground = safe and stuff in the sky = you can collide with it.

5. What are some other good MAME shmups?
Plenty out there. I'd poke around some "Top x MAME shmups" lists to see what catches your eye. Some favorites of mine that should run smoothly on a RetroPi:

Blazing Star
ESP Ra.de
Dangun Feveron
Shienryu
Batsugun
Giga Wing
Dogyuun
Gunbird
Strikers 1945 II
Armed Police Batrider
Dimahoo

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
That screen is just asking to be rotated for vertical shmups...

Not an easy question to answer. "It depends". Ideally, keep your ship in your lower peripherals and focus in a wide cone in front of it. When you move, look at the path you intend to move your ship through. Knowing where ships are coming from helps you manipulate the pattern. If you know where patterns are coming from, you can more-or-less "ignore" them and focus your eyes on other things.

In spite of what the flurry of bullets might make you feel, you shouldn't be reaction-dodging in bullet hell games. It's a big distraction game intended to make you lose your nerve and crash into something.

Yeah, from the mid-90s onward a lot of shmups began giving the player smaller and smaller hitboxes.

For DoDonPachi in particular:

Dodonpachi%20-%201%20-%20Hitbox.jpg
Dodonpachi%20-%203%20-%20Hitbox.jpg
Dodonpachi%20-%202%20-%20Hitbox.jpg

Yeah, everything is avoidable in DoDonPachi. When a difficult pattern is coming your way, try to tap into a safe spot and let the pattern "fall" past you. Often, you'll crash into bullets when you should've stayed still. Try it. Stay still and watch how closely the bullets graze by you.

Depends on the game, but the general rule is that stuff on the ground = safe and stuff in the sky = you can collide with it.

Plenty out there. I'd poke around some "Top x MAME shmups" lists to see what catches your eye. Some favorites of mine that should run smoothly on a RetroPi:

Blazing Star
ESP Ra.de
Dangun Feveron
Shienryu
Batsugun
Giga Wing
Dogyuun
Gunbird
Strikers 1945 II
Armed Police Batrider
Dimahoo

Fantastic post, thanks very much!!

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
So here's a confusing development in the world of shmup ports. Zero Div has released three "PSiKYO Collection Vol. x" games on Switch. Each collection has four titles for about $35. Pre-orders for Vol. 3 went up about a month or two ago.

But now, a pair of "PSiKYO Shooting Library Vol. x" are coming out for a few bucks more ($36.99).

-591693.1.jpg

(contains Strikers 1945, Strikers 1945 II, Strikers 1945 III (a.k.a Strikers 1999), Sol Divide, Dragon Blaze, and Zero Gunner 2-)

psikyo-shooting-library-vol-2-591709.1.jpg

(contains Gunbird 1 and 2, the three Sengoku games, and Gunbarich)

I hadn't yet picked up Vol. 3 for the "Collection", so instead I'll likely buy Vol. 1 of the "Shooting Library".

I am hoping for some tweaks to the included games. Strikers 1945 II and Gunbird II both have some emulation issues. Vol. 1 and 2 were severely lacking in savestate options and customization options, and there is a glitch (??) that does not save your settings between sessions. If these "Shooting Libraries" are better ports, I may even buy Vol. 2 as well.

I was never interested in the Psikyo Collections for Switch, because of the game groupings on each individual volume. While I won't be surprised if the actual titles receive no tweaks on these Shooting Library releases, they're significantly more enticing from a value proposition, enough for me to at least consider getting Volume 2.

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
Heads up, guys. U.S. physical release of Battle Garegga courtesy of Limited Run Games is finally happening Fri. May 10th.

Limited Edition ($129.99)
23vd14V.jpg

Standard Edition ($39.99)
SbiT1gB.jpg

Quick note for vinyl collectors, the Double LP set is exclusive to the Limited Edition and will not be sold on it's own.

Last edited:

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
That Garegga limited edition is sexy :messenger_smiling_hearts:

I could do without the the vinyl set, but hey, I'm not gonna complain. This is a dream release that won't come around often so I'll take what I can get.

Anyone buying the standard edition? It's probably going to be around $50 +shipping. Not sure why anyone would buy that when you can get the Korean version for less. It's currently on sale at play-asia for $38 https://www.play-asia.com/battle-garegga-rev2016/13/70bsdd

Edit: LRG’s twitter confirms the Standard Edition is $39.99.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I could do without the the vinyl set, but hey, I'm not gonna complain. This is a dream release that won't come around often so I'll take what I can get.

Anyone buying the standard edition? It's probably going to be around $50 +shipping. Not sure why anyone would buy that when you can get the Korean version for less. It's currently on sale at play-asia for $38 https://www.play-asia.com/battle-garegga-rev2016/13/70bsdd

Edit: LRG’s twitter confirms the Standard Edition is $39.99.
I bought the Korean version awhile ago, so I'm going to pass.
$39.99 is a good price, though.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Q-YO coming to shmup central a.k.a the Switch.

No word on release date, unfortunately.

Has anyone has a chance to try the Steam version? Seems to have positive reviews:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Location tests for ESP Ra.de are beginning this month:

ESP-Ra-De_2019_05-08-19_001.jpg

Gematsu w the details on the event, which takes place from May 10th to May 23rd:

The field test will run on a Windows substrate version of ESP Ra.De. based on the upcoming M2 ShotTriggers release. M2 hopes to gather feedback from players during the field test in order to make the best possible home console port of ESP Ra.De. with the M2 ShotTriggers release. M2 will also distribute a field test-exclusive paper featuring the main visual of ESP Ra.De.
---

ESP Ra.de is one of CAVE lesser-known shmups (like Guwange or Dangun Feveron), but it is certainly one of their best. Many of the ideas were later used in games like Daioujou, Espgaluda (a spiritual successor), and Mushihimesama.

High-level play below:

No platform for the M2 ShotTriggers' port has been revealed yet, but PS4 is likely.

So here's a confusing development in the world of shmup ports. Zero Div has released three "PSiKYO Collection Vol. x" games on Switch. Each collection has four titles for about $35. Pre-orders for Vol. 3 went up about a month or two ago.

But now, a pair of "PSiKYO Shooting Library Vol. x" are coming out for a few bucks more ($36.99).

-591693.1.jpg

(contains Strikers 1945, Strikers 1945 II, Strikers 1945 III (a.k.a Strikers 1999), Sol Divide, Dragon Blaze, and Zero Gunner 2-)

psikyo-shooting-library-vol-2-591709.1.jpg

(contains Gunbird 1 and 2, the three Sengoku games, and Gunbarich)

I hadn't yet picked up Vol. 3 for the "Collection", so instead I'll likely buy Vol. 1 of the "Shooting Library".

I am hoping for some tweaks to the included games. Strikers 1945 II and Gunbird II both have some emulation issues. Vol. 1 and 2 were severely lacking in savestate options and customization options, and there is a glitch (??) that does not save your settings between sessions. If these "Shooting Libraries" are better ports, I may even buy Vol. 2 as well.
I saw this. I was like... I could have had them on 2 carts instead of 3. I have the first 2.

So battle garegga, what do ya say dun dun, worth pre ordering on ps4?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I saw this. I was like... I could have had them on 2 carts instead of 3. I have the first 2.
I'm in the same boat. I'm plan to get the "new" Shooter Library Vol.1 since it has the two games I wanted from the "old" PSiKYO Vol. 3 (Strikers 1945 III and Zero Gunner 2-). Then we'll see if I get Shooter Vol 2 later.

So battle garegga, what do ya say dun dun, worth pre ordering on ps4?
I bought the Korean PS4 version, so yeah. I think it's worth it. Battle Garegga is one of the major deities in the pantheon of shmups.

M2's port is also quite amazing in its own way. It includes a ton of options that make the game much better than before. Garegga is legendary, but it would be a lie to say that it aged gracefully in all respects. M2 makes the game far more approachable and they really should be commended for it.

If you need convincing from a financial standpoint, just go look up prices for the Saturn port (the only other non-PCB version available legally).

cireza

Banned
Do you guys have recommendations concerning controllers for the Switch ? I like to play in tate mode with the console on a stand, but I have not been very happy with the controllers I tried until now.

The Pro Controller has an horrible d-pad, the joycons are a joke. I had turned a MegaDrive 6 buttons controller using a modkit 8bitDo but the console would crash when I plugged the controller.

So I am still looking for a good wireless controller with the least input-lag possible and a good d-pad. Maybe the 8bit M30 ?

Honestly, LCDs have made playing shmups a nightmare to me.

Hudo

Do you guys have recommendations concerning controllers for the Switch ? I like to play in tate mode with the console on a stand, but I have not been very happy with the controllers I tried until now.

The Pro Controller has an horrible d-pad, the joycons are a joke. I had turned a MegaDrive 6 buttons controller using a modkit 8bitDo but the console would crash when I plugged the controller.

So I am still looking for a good wireless controller with the least input-lag possible and a good d-pad. Maybe the 8bit M30 ?

Honestly, LCDs have made playing shmups a nightmare to me.
I feel your pain. I am currently looking at one of the arcade sticks made by Hori (I think that 8bitDo also have one). Not sure how the Switch behaves with a 6-button controller in terms of compatibility.

Hudo

PS4 and Switch for ESP Ra.de? Kinda surprised (but pleased)! Glad they're going with a physical edition.
Yeah! I am so getting the physical of ESP Ra.De.! Holy shit, this still feels unreal, lol. Is it foolish to hope for a physical release of Battle Garegga for Switch as well? Maybe we'll even see Battle Bakraid down the line?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Yeah! I am so getting the physical of ESP Ra.De.! Holy shit, this still feels unreal, lol. Is it foolish to hope for a physical release of Battle Garegga for Switch as well? Maybe we'll even see Battle Bakraid down the line?
If you want my personal opinion, yeah it's foolish to hope for any of the previous ShotTriggers games on Switch. M2 already turned down PC versions of the PS4 ports because of the work involved, so that's why a Switch version of ESP Ra.de is such a shocker to me.

For future M2 games? I do believe they will transition their development over to Switch since we're at the end of the PS4's lifespan.

If they come out on Switch, I will be very happy to admit I was wrong! :messenger_beaming:

Hudo

If you want my personal opinion, yeah it's foolish to hope for any of the previous ShotTriggers games on Switch. M2 already turned down PC versions of the PS4 ports because of the work involved, so that's why a Switch version of ESP Ra.de is such a shocker to me.

For future M2 games? I do believe they will transition their development over to Switch since we're at the end of the PS4's lifespan.

If they come out on Switch, I will be very happy to admit I was wrong! :messenger_beaming:
Well, I kinda felt like it might have been a foolish thing to hope for. But you are right that a Switch release for ESP Ra.De. points to possible future releases for Switch as well. I did not know that M2 turned down a PC port. The worst thing that could happen is that Hamster volunteer to make Switch ports of previous ShotTrigger releases, lol. At least, some of their Arcade Archive releases had weird issues, IMHO. Like slowdowns and input delays, for example in Waku Waku 7 and Pulstar. Or maybe my Joycons are fucked. Don't want to put Hamster on the spot like that.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Well, I kinda felt like it might have been a foolish thing to hope for. But you are right that a Switch release for ESP Ra.De. points to possible future releases for Switch as well. I did not know that M2 turned down a PC port. The worst thing that could happen is that Hamster volunteer to make Switch ports of previous ShotTrigger releases, lol. At least, some of their Arcade Archive releases had weird issues, IMHO. Like slowdowns and input delays, for example in Waku Waku 7 and Pulstar. Or maybe my Joycons are fucked. Don't want to put Hamster on the spot like that.
M2 always handles their own ports, so thankfully I do not expect that to happen.

Maybe toward the end of the Switch's life they'll port the old ones over to make it "complete"? Plenty of shmup devs are porting their stuff over to Switch.

Hudo

I actually also do hope that M2 might consider some stuff made by Toaplan. I'd love ports for Truxton 1 and 2 and Batsugun! And if I may keep the wishlist going, I'd also take RayForce and RayStorm, haha. And maybe Galaxy Force II because you can never have enough of those beautiful scaling sprites....

I realize that I am getting quite greedy. I am just happy that ESP Ra.De. will get the release it deserves, so even if M2 would then stop doing stuff, I would be satisfied already.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I actually also do hope that M2 might consider some stuff made by Toaplan. I'd love ports for Truxton 1 and 2 and Batsugun! And if I may keep the wishlist going, I'd also take RayForce and RayStorm, haha. And maybe Galaxy Force II because you can never have enough of those beautiful scaling sprites....

I realize that I am getting quite greedy. I am just happy that ESP Ra.De. will get the release it deserves, so even if M2 would then stop doing stuff, I would be satisfied already.
M2 handled Galaxy Force II on the SEGA 3D Classics collection(s) for 3DS, if you're interested.

Yeah I hope M2 keeps making $$$ and keeps making games.

Someday maybe they'll do a modern port of Daioujou :messenger_smiling_hearts:

Hudo

M2 handled Galaxy Force II on the SEGA 3D Classics collection(s) for 3DS, if you're interested.

Yeah I hope M2 keeps making $$$ and keeps making games.

Someday maybe they'll do a modern port of Daioujou :messenger_smiling_hearts:
The 3DS 3D Classic collections are one of the (few) reasons why I still have my 3DS, haha. That 3D effect really does bring Galaxy Force II and the other Sega Super Scaler games to life.

I bet that they'll definitely do Daioujou at some point. In the M2: Complete Works documentary it is stated that M2 and the guys at Cave are friends, if I remember correctly. So chances seem pretty high! I even bet that it will get a release under the ShotTriggers series.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
The 3DS 3D Classic collections are one of the (few) reasons why I still have my 3DS, haha. That 3D effect really does bring Galaxy Force II and the other Sega Super Scaler games to life.

I bet that they'll definitely do Daioujou at some point. In the M2: Complete Works documentary it is stated that M2 and the guys at Cave are friends, if I remember correctly. So chances seem pretty high! I even bet that it will get a release under the ShotTriggers series.
Daioujou and Espgaluda are both kinda-sorta likely because they've already remastered Ketsui which ran on PGM hardware.

M2 has handled ESP Ra.de and Dangun Feveron which were built on CAVE 68k. That platform also had Donpachi, Dodonpachi and Guwange.

So based on my own wishful thinking, those five -- Donpachi, Dodonpachi, Dodonpachi Daioujou, Espgaluda, and Guwange -- seem most likely to me if we look at the arcade platform M2's other ports have come from.

Hudo

Daioujou and Espgaluda are both kinda-sorta likely because they've already remastered Ketsui which ran on PGM hardware.

M2 has handled ESP Ra.de and Dangun Feveron which were built on CAVE 68k. That platform also had Donpachi, Dodonpachi and Guwange.

So based on my own wishful thinking, those five -- Donpachi, Dodonpachi, Dodonpachi Daioujou, Espgaluda, and Guwange -- seem most likely to me if we look at the arcade platform M2's other ports have come from.
Ah, right! I hadn't considered the hardware platforms those games ran on. Yeah, that makes a lot more sense now. You heard it on GAF first, folks!

Do you guys have recommendations concerning controllers for the Switch ?
I can recommend the 8BitDo SN30 Pro for playing 2D games on the Switch. I wouldn't begin to suggest it's identical to a Super Nintendo pad, but the SN30's D-pad and buttons feel like the type of solid controller one might have purchased, during the 8-and-16-bit era of gaming. For those fond of the SNES controller, the SN30 does generally feel good in the hand, with my biggest complaint being synching it with the Switch always seems like a pain in the ass.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Myself and JDE from over on the shumps forum have a location test of our new game - Star Hunter - installed at Heart of Gaming in London. So any UK gaffers heading down to HoG can have a play of the first 3 stages. Should be out late summer on Steam.

Dang, this looks really crisp and crunchy. Loving those bullet cancels. Best of luck to you and your team!

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
R-Type Final 2 just ended, after reaching about 900k. Stretch goals shown below (lots of extra stages, thankfully):

b3ae1930f410efaafeed3d39ab015b0c_original.png

(the inclusion of Ghost Mode is a huge deal to me. It will make practicing for 1CC runs and scoring runs significantly easier)

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR

Perhaps the most important news of E3 (personally).

My hope is Dangun Feveron, but my guess is Ketsui DeathTiny (since it already got a release in Japan).

so, I'm not a super big shmup fan, but seeing this thread reminds me of a question I've been having for a long time, so figure I would seek some answer here.

Touhou is basically a shmup right? why does it have such a huge following that lasted for so long? I can still find lots of new doujinshi base off of this (both "normal" and "adult" ones) and it always fascinates me, especially consider it's not exactly a mainstream title. can someone educate me on the subject please?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
so, I'm not a super big shmup fan, but seeing this thread reminds me of a question I've been having for a long time, so figure I would seek some answer here.

Touhou is basically a shmup right? why does it have such a huge following that lasted for so long? I can still find lots of new doujinshi base off of this (both "normal" and "adult" ones) and it always fascinates me, especially consider it's not exactly a mainstream title. can someone educate me on the subject please?
Yeah, Touhou is definitely a shmup. I'm not personally too familiar with the franchise, though, so I don't know why it is popular. I figured the games were high-quality enough to warrant a loyal fanbase.

sol_bad

I'm surprised the R-type Final 2 Kickstarter got so high. I remember seeing the unlockable tiers thinking they'd never be reached. I guess there ate more schmuck fans out there than I expected.

Top Bottom