• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shmups |OT| DoDonMuchihimetruxton Arrange v1.5

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I didn't know about this until after the kickstarter and I'm a huge R-Type, Lifeforce, Darius fan :/
You could be forgiven for missing it: they announced it around April Fool's so some people honestly thought it was just a joke/prank. Then when the Kickstarter came out, it was only open for 7 days.

Really terrible handling of the IP, in my opinion, but it is what it is. The game itself looks and sounds pretty interesting.

fatty

Raiden IV Overkill for the PS3 is on sale for $4.49 during this weekend’s PSN flash sale. Is this worth picking up for someone who has Raiden IV? I thought the game was OK with the short time I played it but admittedly I should probably spend more time with it to give it a better chance. (The pinnacle for me is Gradius and the way it plays)

Any other shmups worth picking up during the sale?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Raiden IV Overkill for the PS3 is on sale for $4.49 during this weekend’s PSN flash sale. Is this worth picking up for someone who has Raiden IV? I thought the game was OK with the short time I played it but admittedly I should probably spend more time with it to give it a better chance. (The pinnacle for me is Gradius and the way it plays)

Any other shmups worth picking up during the sale?
Nah, I wouldn't upgrade to Overkill unless you really like the base game. It doesn't add too much, iirc.

Caladrius Blaze is on sale for $7.99. CAPCOM Arcade Cabinet includes some shmups and is $5.99. Astebreed is $9.99, and Dogos is $7.19. Mamorukun Curse is $1.49. R-TYpe Dimensions EX is $8.99 and Shikhondo is $3.99.

I saw a handful of others but those are the ones I've played and can vouch that they're at least worth looking into.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Radirgy Swag coming west, with a physical edition confirmed. Heck yeah! I own the Wii version and I love the sword-slashing mechanic (I have a soft spot for shmups with melee that bullet-cancels).

Radirgy Swag, which launched for Switch via the Nintendo eShop in Japan earlier this month, is coming to North America and Europe this fall, publisher Dispatch Games announced.
The RS34-developed shoot ’em up will be available in a $29.99 standard edition, as well as via a City Dispatch Online Store-exclusive limited edition that includes a physical copy of the game, original art book, original vinyl soundtrack with custom cover, and custom coin for $49.99.
“We are ecstatic that we are able to bring a game from the Radirgy series to the western market,” said Dispatch Games founder Brian Schorr in a press release. “Radirgy Swag is a great addition to the shmup collection in the Dispatch Games family.”

Source at Gematsu.

Dispatch Games also handled the release of Psyvariar Delta. I like the direction they're headed!

Overview of the Japanese version of Radirgy Swag, including some info on the previous games in the series:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
For any owners of Devil's Engine, you can play the demo of the new expansion via the original copy of the game:

D67zq8_U8AA0Px4.jpg

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Well it's not much, but some details were released on M2's revival of the Aleste series.

The title is Aleste Branch and that's about all we know so far.

Aleste-Branch_07-12-19_001-600x337.jpg

More details about the ship will be unveiled at Wonder Festival 2019 Summer on July 28. At an Akihabara event on September 7, "more details" will be offered but so far there's no indication of platform, price, release date, or even gameplay.

Source.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Physical copy of Rolling Gunner has a preorder page open. No price or release date confirmed yet.

Description:
  • Navigate across 6 stages blanketed in a hail of bullets from an unceasing onslaught of enemies and screen-filling bosses
  • Choose from 3 different STORK ships to pilot, each with unique attributes and firing patterns
  • Multiple difficulty settings allow players of all skill levels to jump in and enjoy a true bullet hell experience
  • Save Replays and use Training mode to master the Rolling Gun and learn the intricacies of each stage
  • A pulse-pounding, high-energy original soundtrack composed by COSIO (Space Invaders Extreme, Groove Coaster) perfectly complements the gameplay
  • Beautifully animated cutscenes marry gameplay and story
  • A challenging risk v reward point system will have seasoned players shooting for the top of the in-game leaderboard

Radirgy Swag is also available for pre-order on the official Dispatch Games store. $29.99 with a release date of 10/15/2019.

Description:

Take a quick trip to the moon!
Enjoy the radio wave shooter with a Japanese pop culture twist.
Radirgy Swag is a unique shooter with game mechanics that can be enjoyed by players of all different levels. The planes in Radirgy Swag are not only equipped with guns, but you can also destroy enemies with your sword. This feature allows you to attack your enemies from different angles. Use your shield or fill up your Absonet gauge to give you temporary invincibility against your foes. Master both offensive and defensive techniques to conquer your mission.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Wow! Busy news day for shmups (haha ha ha hah... :pie_frowning: ) today. Vasara Collection (two games) confirmed for November 24th:

D_zX9LJVAAEc881.png

Blurb from Gematsu:

For the very first time, highly acclaimed Japanese arcade shoot ’em ups—Vasara(2000) and Vasara 2 (2001)—are made available to the whole world via this package: Vasara Collection!
Science Fiction meets History in these arcade classics which take place in an alternate timeline Feudal Japan where technologically advanced weaponry and equipment are a reality, and heroes use flying motorcycles with amazing firepower and fierce melee weapons to destroy their enemies.
Try and stay alive on this frantic game where everyone, and everything, is out to kill you!
Key Features
  • New gameplay mode: Timeless Mode.
  • Tate Mode / Vertical Mode support.
  • Eight playable characters inspired by real Japanese historical figures.
  • Science-fiction meets feudal Japan in this retelling of historical battles.
  • Fight robots and samurai using traditional shooting and powerful melee attacks.
  • Heavily skill-based gameplay for experts.
  • Easy mode for beginners.
  • Branching paths and multiple endings according to your characters and in-game actions.
---

Never had a chance to play either of these games, but the art style and gameplay looks interesting.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Cruisin' Mix Special is the latest shmup to land on the Switch, coming later this year. Dispatch is offering a regular edition with all the DLC plus a limited edition with a vinyl soundtrack, arcade flyers, and an art book.

I have Cruisin' Mix on PS4 and it's quite fun. Reminds me of Sexy Parodius, TwinBee, and other lighthearted shmups. The game makes a ton of references to other videogames (mostly other shmups and arcade titles) and to Japanese pop-culture.

Hudo

So, my hype for R-Type Final 2 has prompted me to play R-Type again! But instead of choosing the convenient way of playing R-Type via R-Type Dimensions EX, I've chosen to play it on the Amiga instead. And man, oh man, the title theme is something that immediately stuck with me. Composed by none other than Chris Hülsbeck, so you know it's bound to be good (I think that Turrian 1 and 2 are his best works, though).

Obligatory title theme music:

Then I've begun thinking: What's the best Shmup in terms of its soundtrack? I've been hearing a few people saying "Darius!", while others are declaring "Thunder Force IV!". So, what's GAF's opinion?

Hudo

Not sure what my favorite shmup soundtrack is, Hudo Hudo

Probably the original Dodonpachi, if I had to choose. It's still rock 'n roll before everything became Japanime pop idol electronica music.
Ah. I need to have a listen to that as well. Not sure why exactly, but I am very deep into old-school (i.e. FM sound like the YM2203 or YM2608 etc. or VRC modified NES music) as of late.
Ironically enough, I'm not sure what I would choose as my favourite Shmup soundtrack as well... I will get back to you guys on that, haha.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Ah. I need to have a listen to that as well. Not sure why exactly, but I am very deep into old-school (i.e. FM sound like the YM2203 or YM2608 etc. or VRC modified NES music) as of late.
Ironically enough, I'm not sure what I would choose as my favourite Shmup soundtrack as well... I will get back to you guys on that, haha.
Look no further than Uemura's Toaplan music.

Twin Cobra

Hellfire

Last edited:

Dazrael

Dodonpachi’s aesthetic started to go downhill since the first game. The dirty rock soundtrack and grimy mech graphics were replaced by dance music and anime lolis. They are still good games but Cave got a bit carried away with the anime. Ketsui is probably my favourite for aesthetics, it’s very mechanical feeling.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Goddamn, son. I know what I'm listening to the rest of the day! Thanks for introducing him to me! Maybe I should've played more Toaplan games than Batsugun and Tatsujin...
Every shmup in Toaplan's library is worth checking out, friend. And since you've got an itch for that era of videogame music, I'd encourage you to check out the other Toaplan soundtracks if you get a chance, too.

Wonko_C

Dodonpachi’s aesthetic started to go downhill since the first game. The dirty rock soundtrack and grimy mech graphics were replaced by dance music and anime lolis. They are still good games but Cave got a bit carried away with the anime. Ketsui is probably my favourite for aesthetics, it’s very mechanical feeling.

DDPDOJ gave us the best rendition of Donpachi's first level theme, though:

Last edited:

petran79

Banned
Had no idea Team Grisgris, famous mostly for Corpse Party, had also produced other genres, including shmups.

Tsunoda Thunder is one such shmup. Looks very good quality, too bad they don't sell it

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
Battle Garegga Pizza Box Edition has arrived. Anyone else get theirs? Share your pics, shmupGAF.

mVBPjut.jpg

This set is absolutely bonkers. M2 documentary bluray housed in a retro Saturn long box is pretty schweet. Looking forward to watching it when I have the time. Hats off to LRG for making this happen.

100SiIl.jpg

PkvHiZR.jpg

Summer 2019 pick-ups

DPQF7KU.jpg

I’ve been playing CruisinMix off and on all summer. It's fun, but I haven't had the chance to really sit down and go for a 1cc. Gonna need a walkthrough vid to get the scoring mechanics down. Haven't settled on a favorite character either. Just random sessions of survival and eggplant collecting.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I have my Great Mahou Daisakusen (Dimahoo) board running in attract mode right now while I work. I've never played the game, because I don't have a Tate'd screen to hook it up to right now, but it looks fun and people tell me it's good.

GrayFoxPL

Battle Garegga Pizza Box Edition has arrived. Anyone else get theirs? Share your pics, shmupGAF.

mVBPjut.jpg

This set is absolutely bonkers. M2 documentary bluray housed in a retro Saturn long box is pretty schweet. Looking forward to watching it when I have the time. Hats off to LRG for making this happen.

100SiIl.jpg

PkvHiZR.jpg

Summer 2019 pick-ups

DPQF7KU.jpg

I’ve been playing CruisinMix off and on all summer. It's fun, but I haven't had the chance to really sit down and go for a 1cc. Gonna need a walkthrough vid to get the scoring mechanics down. Haven't settled on a favorite character either. Just random sessions of survival and eggplant collecting.
Q2Az2oa.gif

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Sister Royale (from the Castle Shikigami devs) coming to PS4 and Xbox (already on Switch). Reminds me a lot of Mamorokun Curse, but with denser bullet patterns:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
CAVE announced they're updating four of their iOS games lost in 32-bit purgatoryL

Dodonpachi: Daioujou, Dodonpachi: Daifukkatsu, Dodonpachi Maximum, and DeathSmiles.

I'm really happy with this news, as I personally love the touch-screen shmups on iOS.

It also signals a (possible) return of CAVE's franchises. I'm not holding my breath for CAVE to actually step up and do something, but at least they're willing to update old titles. Maybe they'll hand over more titles for M2 to handle (fingers crossed for DDP and DOJ, at least). Included with this announcement is the reopening of Shoooooting World news website:

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I've been buying a few CPS-2 games, and for whatever reason, I really want to get Progear now. Never played it before. Finding a legit copy in good condition isn't easy, though.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I've been buying a few CPS-2 games, and for whatever reason, I really want to get Progear now. Never played it before. Finding a legit copy in good condition isn't easy, though.
It's definitely one of CAVE's best scoring systems, and it has an incredible art style.

silentstorm

I am terrible at Shmups but I do enjoy the likes of Touhou, Riddled Corpses Ex, Steel Empire and even Darius.

I like Fantasy Zone the most even if I can never beat it even with Rapid Fire and knowing the best way to keep the weapons.
If you like Fantasy Zone, Black Bird is worth checking out, it's not exactly like Fantasy Zone(no shops for example) but close enough you can feel the influence.

Plus the game is gorgeous, no doubt about that, every level has great art style and are full of secrets and fun little details, the only complaint i have is that you can't start in hard more from the start, you have to beat easy mode...which is so easy i only lost to see the game over and i 1CC'd that one on my 2nd try...not exactly hard, but the hard mode has everything shoot more at you, new attacks, new enemies and bosses are also harder while the game itself also changes a bit visually to make it worth trying on the harder difficulty.

Just by art design alone i think Black Bird is worth it, but even without that it's a solid game inspired by Fantasy Zone.

If you like Fantasy Zone, Black Bird is worth checking out, it's not exactly like Fantasy Zone(no shops for example) but close enough you can feel the influence.

Plus the game is gorgeous, no doubt about that, every level has great art style and are full of secrets and fun little details, the only complaint i have is that you can't start in hard more from the start, you have to beat easy mode...which is so easy i only lost to see the game over and i 1CC'd that one on my 2nd try...not exactly hard, but the hard mode has everything shoot more at you, new attacks, new enemies and bosses are also harder while the game itself also changes a bit visually to make it worth trying on the harder difficulty.

Just by art design alone i think Black Bird is worth it, but even without that it's a solid game inspired by Fantasy Zone.

I might check that out. Thanks for the recommendation! Hopefully it isn't too easy so it feels like I am being challenged. :)

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

This isn't a shmup but there are no threads on this kind of game. Does anybody know if Gun Bird 2 (Switch) has Morrigan in it?

KAOS

Been having some fun with some not so new pc shootemups The hurricane of Vastray and Rigid. Was pleasently surprised to see that the Dreamcast game Sturmwind was released on steam with 4k resolution. Anyone try it out yet along with a similar shooter called Remote Life? Would love for Sturmwind Ex to come out for the X, Pro and Switch!

silentstorm

I might check that out. Thanks for the recommendation! Hopefully it isn't too easy so it feels like I am being challenged. :)
The first mode is really damn easy, but like i said, you get a harder difficulty that has more enemies, they are more aggressive, and everything has more attacks.

And since it's a bunch of levels where you can scroll left and right at will, you can make self-imposed challenges or just see what sticks, just to test it, i stayed for a long time in the first level on hard mode just killing respawning enemies and getting a big score, and suddenly the very last boss of the game appears annoyed at you and starts chasing you around without you being able to damage it making for a cat and mouse level, the game doesn't tell you about any of that, but i guess if you have a high enough score or you stay too long at one place, the game will fight back.

Worth being around to get a big score, that makes unique enemies appear later on, like i said, there all kinds of secrets and tiny details to uncover, plus, it's a game where you are a monster going around towns killing people, granted, it's not the most perfect world, in the first level you can see a dying poor girl just fall on the streets and no one caring to pick her up after she dies, so don't feel like you are going around blasting an utopia to pieces.

Top Bottom