• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHOCKING NEWS: Mass Effect 3 will be an Origin-Works game.

Imagine what a clusterfuck PC gaming would be if every publisher ran their own distribution program that was limited to only their catalogue.

'Ooooh, I wonder what my mate is playing?'

*Loads up 17 different Publisher developed programs*

'Can't see him online, he must be stuck in traffic on the way home'.

It's about control and greed, EA is probably trying to challenge Steam as the defacto PC digital distribution channel but they're going to have a hell of a time trying to convince Activision that Origin would be the place to go, and Activision probably wants some of that Steam money, Ubisoft probably wants some of that too, obviously none of these guys will be able to control digital distribution on consoles since everybody goes through the platform holders but with PCs it's obviously a different story.

Two questions:

1. There are plenty of people who wants their purchases to require Steam, because they like the download service, the added functionality like achievements, steam cloud, steam play, community, etc. But are there anyone who actually want their games to require Origin yet? And I´m not talking about opinions like "I can live with it" now, but those of you who actually prefers that Mass Effect 3 requires Origin to run.

2. Are people interested in this game being released on Steam if they actually know that launching it from Steam will launch the Origin client and require you to login there?

darkpower

Banned
Two questions:
1. There are plenty of people who wants their purchases to require Steam, because they like the download service, the added functionality like achievements, steam cloud, steam play, community, etc. But are there anyone who actually want their games to require Origin yet? And I´m not talking about opinions like "I can live with it" now, but those of you who actually prefers that Mass Effect 3 requires Origin to run.

Haven't met or seen them yet if there were any.

2. Are people interested in this game being released on Steam if they actually know that launching it from Steam will launch the Origin client and require you to login there?

Aside from what has already been mentioned, there's also the worry about Mass Effect saves carrying over. Remember that you can import your Shepard, and there will be questions of if you can use the saves from your Steam ME2 to an Origin ME3. This needs to be clarified, and if it isn't going to work that way, then that will mean disaster for Bioware. It might be obvious, but it won't be obvious enough that Bioware should just assume that we'll get that point, or that we won't have the question.

Morokh

Still no news about how they'll handle DLC ?

If it is implemented in Origin, well i'm in, if you still have to buy points and go trough the idiotic Bioware community website whats the point of Origin then ?

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
This isn't shocking at all.

Still no news about how they'll handle DLC ?

If it is implemented in Origin, well i'm in, if you still have to buy points and go trough the idiotic Bioware community website whats the point of Origin then ?
I'm sure DLC will transition to the Origins platform with this game.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
I'll just wait for my roommate to buy it on 360 and play it on there. I'd like to think that enough people will not buy it on PC that they'll add it to Steam, but I'm not investing in the outcome.

Missing my save files will kind of suck, but it hadn't been that good of a feature in 2.

rozay

Banned
There's a really simple website to convert ME2 PC to 360 saves (or vice versa) for anyone making the switch:
http://legion.cal24.pl/me2/

Just a heads up though, if you have DLC on the old platform but not the new one, you'll need to remove it from your save file with gibbed's editor. .xbsav files can easily be injected into the 360 ME2 character file with modio.

There's a really simple website to convert ME2 PC to 360 saves (or vice versa) for anyone making the switch:

Just a heads up though, if you have DLC on the old platform but not the new one, you'll need to remove it from your save file with gibbed's editor. .xbsav files can easily be injected into the 360 ME2 character file with modio.
Woah. Bookmarking this for when I get around to playing ME1 and 2 on PC. Thank you sir!

KKRT00

Origin isnt required to run a game? That's all i wanted to hear EA, thank You :)
One time activations should be a norm for singleplayer mode, Valve and Ubisoft should actually learn from that.

It's that EA seems to just be pushing this Origin thing the way they do as a means to have complete control of their prices. Steam has some damn good deals, sometimes on EA games. Having EA games be exclusive to the Origin platform means that they don't have to participate in the Steam deals and keep their prices however they want. Nothing to do with whatever explanation they gave about the DLC (I can't be bothered to look it up at the moment), but rather the pricing. It's kind of suspicious that they are citing something that's never been a problem with them before on Steam. I think it's because they can't get away with the pricing points that they want to on Steam or other PC DD platforms, and since EA owns Origin, they can just do whatever they want to you or your games without having to answer to a middle man.
Amazon DD deals
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=33701559&postcount=1
Polish Origin Christmas sales
http://i.imgur.com/wb9We.jpg

MrKyle

can anyone who actually has experience with origin comment on whether this is likely to actually result in inconvenience beyond needing to re-register a game on steam to make it appear in that games list?

I have had no problems with Origin. I now own ~14 games on the platform and all function flawlessly.

I bought several BF2 expansions and BF2142 on whatever web-based store EA had at the time of their respective releases and they automatically transferred onto Origin.

I've been a member of steam since Sept. 13, 2003, and I'll continue to support both platforms. There's more than enough room for multiple DD clients. Group hug.

I don't think the quoted poster was suggesting that EA is doing this to spite us, he was just saying that most gamers would go with Steam over Origin, even if Origin offered a better value with exclusive preorder crap or a discounted price. It's what the people want. But this way, no one has a choice, install Origin or don't play it at all. It's really the only way EA can get people to use Origin.

That's no different to Football Manager 2012. I had to "install Steam or don't play it at all".

It's about control and greed, EA is probably trying to challenge Steam as the defacto PC digital distribution channel but they're going to have a hell of a time trying to convince Activision that Origin would be the place to go, and Activision probably wants some of that Steam money, Ubisoft probably wants some of that too, obviously none of these guys will be able to control digital distribution on consoles since everybody goes through the platform holders but with PCs it's obviously a different story.

Yup, that sounds like it would suck, all right. Still, if EA could provide a better service than Steam one day, wouldn't that be good? I mean, as consumers, we want the best possible service don't we?

Anyhow, I take your point - I see where this is all going: every publisher having their own client to install and run. Sounds like a nightmare. If only there was some sort of physical distribution method where we could go into a shop and purchase something that would enable us to instantly have that game on our PCs rather than having to download a client and wait for it all to install etc. That would be the future....

It's that EA seems to just be pushing this Origin thing the way they do as a means to have complete control of their prices. Steam has some damn good deals, sometimes on EA games. Having EA games be exclusive to the Origin platform means that they don't have to participate in the Steam deals and keep their prices however they want. Nothing to do with whatever explanation they gave about the DLC (I can't be bothered to look it up at the moment), but rather the pricing. It's kind of suspicious that they are citing something that's never been a problem with them before on Steam. I think it's because they can't get away with the pricing points that they want to on Steam or other PC DD platforms, and since EA owns Origin, they can just do whatever they want to you or your games without having to answer to a middle man.

Of course this is about greed, but let's not pretend Valve is a charity. Someone at EA thought "hey, just why we have to give Steam a cut?". Obviously they think people will buy their games regardless. Day 1 Origin and Steam prices are the same, so I guess only time (and top secret statistics) will tell if EA is better of having games on Origin, or Steam.

Also, Origin is not expensive if you know where to look. Same like buying CD-key to activate on Steam you can buy a CD-key to activate your Origin game. I have never bought anything with MSRP on Steam, simply because I can get it for 30-50% cheaper elsewhere on day 1. Same thing with Origin, you just need to know where to look.

I don't think we can attribute the word "greed" in video game or any other business decision, simply because we don't know how much things cost in this or that industry. Sure, it sucks for us, but that doesn't automatically make it greedy or some sort of devious conspiracy.

Thoraxes

Saving this for when I borrow my friends 360 copy down the line instead of buying it new on PC.

Durante

Imagine what a clusterfuck PC gaming would be if every publisher ran their own distribution program that was limited to only their catalogue.

'Ooooh, I wonder what my mate is playing?'

*Loads up 17 different Publisher developed programs*

'Can't see him online, he must be stuck in traffic on the way home'.
That's why the community features should be completely decoupled from all sales platforms.
Ideally.

epmode

Perhaps you've missed the dozens of anti-consumer and anti-developer things they've done over the last ~20 years? From anything but a shareholder's perspective, they've proven themselves to be one of the worst publishers in the business many times over.

Perhaps you've missed the dozens of anti-consumer and anti-developer things they've done over the last ~20 years? From anything but a shareholder's perspective, they've proven themselves to be one of the worst publishers in the business many times over.

Sony, Apple and Microsoft are all just as bad, if not worse. They don't seem to have quite as much irrational hate though.

epmode

Sony, Apple and Microsoft are all just as bad, if not worse. They don't seem to have quite as much irrational hate though.
So it's irrational to assume that EA is more interested in short term quarterly growth than making their customers happy? Their entire history up until now indicates that their focus is on anything but the industry's health. Is this really up for debate?

And are you really surprised you don't see many complaints about Microsoft, Sony or Apple in a PC thread? Sony and Apple are obviously unrelated and aside from a few cancelled games and the aborted GFWL initiative, Microsoft is too apathetic about PC stuff to matter. I'll agree that their practices in the console space show Microsoft to be a Bad Thing for the industry, though.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Every company has and will always to things that don't get the same reaction. This isn't really the thread for that. These are companies that make great product. In the end they all want to make money. Human beings run them so there isn't necessarily this cold feeling towards them.

IceMarker

x14cU.gif

No thanks EA, I skipped BF3 for the same reason.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
EA's strategy is so unfocused. They just want to be present in the digital distribution area they just throw out quick solutions without focusing on the whole. In order to prepare for ME3 I started up a new game of ME, now I've finished it and moved on to ME2 and thought I'd get the DLC while I'm at it.

But, to my surprise it's not present on Origin, and instead you have to use "BioWare points" on their webpage. Points of any kind registers as "scam" in my mind. And with the release of ME3 in the coming month why haven't they've been made available on Origin? What's even more confusing is that Pinnacle Station is available.

Let's just say I don't have alot of hope in the Origin-works platform. If BioWare (who bascily is EA at this point) can't even use their new service properly why should I be expected to invest in it?

So it's irrational to assume that EA is more interested in short term quarterly growth than making their customers happy? Their entire history up until now indicates that their focus is on anything but the industry's health. Is this really up for debate?

Yes it is. If EA despatched a crack team of ninjas into the night to rape your wife, murder your children and burn down your house, then I could understand a "hatred" towards them.

But... not being a fan of EA's business decisions and the fact that EA "indicate that their focus is on anything but the industry's health" does not justify hatred towards the company. I'd consider that pretty irrational.

At best you'd have a strong dislike, and if that's enough to put you off playing a AAA game release, then it sucks to be you :(

Also, isn't it a bit ridiculous that people would be willing to play a game published by EA on Steam, but not willing to play a game published by EA on Origin, because Origin is owned by EA and EA are evil innit? If you're going to take the "EA are bad for the industry" moral highground, then don't play anything tainted by the touch of EA. Don't pick and choose for convenience :)

Appleman

Why is it a let down? You'll still be able to play the game through Origin.
... Exactly. Or in my case, I can just not play the game. As hyped as I was for BF3, Origin-only lost them my sale. It might sound stubborn, but it's pretty much Steam or no sale for me now

... Exactly. Or in my case, I can just not play the game. As hyped as I was for BF3, Origin-only lost them my sale. It might sound stubborn, but it's pretty much Steam or no sale for me now

But why?

Wouldn't you consider it ridiculous that someone would forgo a game because it was Steam only? That's the same thing as writing off a game because it's Origin only.

Sometimes I don't understand GAF. A forum full of gamers who go out of their way to deprive themselves just because they don't like the distribution method? le sigh!

epmode

Sometimes principled people will avoid a product because they don't care for the company behind it. Capitalism!

There are more than enough games to go around.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
But why?

Wouldn't you consider it ridiculous that someone would forgo a game because it was Steam only? That's the same thing as writing off a game because it's Origin only.

Sometimes I don't understand GAF. A forum full of gamers who go out of their way to deprive themselves just because they don't like the distribution method? le sigh!

This is Neogaf dude.jpg Where EA is the devil and where Steam is god.

Sometimes principled people will avoid a product because they don't care for the company behind it. Capitalism!

There are more than enough games to go around.

Yup. These are the same people who are so principled as to be willing to play the product if it was released on Steam. It's the same fucking company as the people who made Origin...

Volcynika

People don't like Origin for a multitude of reasons already discussed in the thread (excluding the 'not on Steam' bit), maybe you could read them.

People buy/don't buy games on the reasons they set, it happens. Consumers voting with their dollars and such.

epmode

Yup. These are the same people who are so principled as to be willing to play the product if it was released on Steam. It's the same fucking company as the people who made Origin...
Why should anyone bother responding to someone who instantly discounts all of the well-documented miserable things that EA has done to videogames in general and PC games in particular?

I buy EA games in spite of the company but sometimes sometimes being interested in a game isn't enough. Origin is that line for me. I don't trust a company that likes to shut down multiplayer servers ~2 years after release to handle a digital distribution platform. Not to mention the way they lock people out of installing games though Origin because of inappropriate forum posts.

Omikaru

Whilst Steam-only people irritate me to no end (especially when they deprive themselves of a good deal from another site if it's not a Steam key), I think it's fair to not like Origin per-se.

I certainly won't buy a game that's Origin only, and I'm reluctant to buy an EA game out of principle, unless it's really good (my thing against them is that EA is a shit company, and their games aren't very good either -- just generic crowd-pleasing mush that has no value to me whatsoever). But I'll happily buy a game from GamersGate, GOG.com and other places, Steam key or no.

As for Mass Effect 3, I'd probably have picked it up when it became worthwhile to me (sale, sub-£15), but if I have to put Origin anywhere near my computer then they'd have to pay me to play it. And since other retailers have just stepped aside and let their customers take it up the ass with Origin, I can't exactly support them, so the only way I'm ever going to play ME3 is if I buy it on consoles (no chance) or if it gets an Origin-free release on Steam.

You're a good man. I didn't want to abandon my PC FemShep. I wonder if you still have to remove the DLC info when importing into ME3 (I want to keep my Liara stuffs).

Why should anyone bother responding to someone who instantly discounts all of the well-documented miserable things that EA has done to videogames in general and PC games in particular?

I buy EA games in spite of the company but sometimes sometimes being interested in a game isn't enough. Origin is that line for me. I don't trust a company that likes to shut down multiplayer servers ~2 years after release to handle a digital distribution platform. Not to mention the way they lock people out of installing games though Origin because of in appropriate forum posts.

Okay, that's a fair comment, but the point I'm making is this:

By and large, corporations do evil. They also happen to produce products that I wish to consume.

If I started playing the OMG-ethical card over EA, then I'd also in good conscience have to take a long hard look at how many electronics I own that were manufactured by Foxcon who treat their employees a gazillion times worse than EA. I'd then look at whether I really should be buying Nestle products, drinking Coca Cola products or using Gillette razors. It's a never ending spiral which would probably only end with me either going insane or becoming a mormon.

So, with that in mind, I don't have any more of a problem with EA than I do with other companies. That's not to say I don't have a disdain of EA, but I have already set out the reasons why it's impractical to completely boycott around 95% of modern society.

Now: What I do have a really hard time wrapping my head around is why someone would justify their dislike of Origin by playing the "OMG EA are the devil" card, but still be perfectly willing to play a game that is made by.... wait for it.... THE DEVIL, AKA EA. That is just massively hypocritical and I honestly don't know how these people can take themselves seriously. By all means, justify your decision by saying you're a Valve fanboy and you love Gabe. That's cool, but at least be honest about it rather than trying to dress it up with a "saving the world one programmer at a time" reasoning, because it is entirely illogical and makes PETA look like a bastion of well thought out arguments.

Whilst Steam-only people irritate me to no end (especially when they deprive themselves of a good deal from another site if it's not a Steam key), I think it's fair to not like Origin per-se.

I certainly won't buy a game that's Origin only, and I'm reluctant to buy an EA game out of principle, unless it's really good (my thing against them is that EA is a shit company, and their games aren't very good either -- just generic crowd-pleasing mush that has no value to me whatsoever).

That's a perfectly reasonable assessment. You gave a reason to not wishing to use Origin other than "OMG IT'S EA111!!!111" which is fair enough. I, however, don't see what the fuss is about, because I am already resigned to being forced to use Steam when I don't want to (I want my games to be self contained on their media, not tied to an internet connection and some dressed up in achievements DRM), so if I'm already being forced to use Steam against my will, I can hardly get all snippity when being made to use Origin, especially as to date, being entirely distribution method agnostic, I've encountered MUCH BETTER customer service from Origin than I have from Steam.

At the end of the day, when you order a game online, you're not receiving physical content. You're being permitted to play the game for a finite amount of time for cash. And that's renting, whether it's through Steam, Origin or Impulse/Gamestop. No matter how friendly the method, how many achievements or cheap sales it offers you, or how nice and cuddly you think your bestest buddy Uncle Gabe is, you are still receiving fundamentally less product and rights than you were five years ago when everything was physically distributed.

---

tl;dr - if you're going to boycott one product on the basis of "EA being evil", then don't be a hypocritical pussy and boycott every product made by EA.

Salacious Crumb

At least it's a game I don't want at all this time, now I get to join the boycott and act righteously indignant.

Arrrgh EA, you make me so angry. This is fun.

Top Bottom