• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHOCKING NEWS: Mass Effect 3 will be an Origin-Works game.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
VIA CharmingCharlie's post.

Below are answers to the most commonly asked questions about Origin and Mass Effect 3. Thank you for your patience as we have worked to answer them.

1) Will Origin be a requirement to play all versions of Mass Effect 3? (Digital and/or from a retail brick and mortar store) Yes, Origin is required for all PC editions of Mass Effect 3, physical or digital.

2) Is constant Origin connection required or is it a single one off authentication when the game is first installed. Is there also a limit to the number of installations available?
Mass Effect 3 will require a one time, single authorization for the single player game. There is no limit to the number of installs. Playing Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer will require a constant connection.

3) Is Origin required for the retail versions of the game?
Origin is required for the PC versions of Mass Effect 3, both physical and digital.

4) Will ME3 be available on Steam?
During initial release Mass Effect 3 will be available on Origin and a number of other 3rd party digital retailers, but not on Steam at this time. Steam has adopted a set of restrictive terms of service which limit how developers interact with customers to deliver patches and other downloadable content. We are intent on providing Mass Effect to players with the best possible experience no matter where they purchase or play their game, and are happy to partner with any download service that does not restrict our ability to connect directly with our consumers.

5) Is there an opt in or opt out clause for data collection?
Users will be allowed to opt-out of Mass Effect 3 data collection from inside the game.

6) I’ve seen reports that Origin is spyware. Is this true?
Origin is not spyware, and does not use or install spyware on user’s machines. In order to allow Origin to install games and their patches for everyone to use, Origin implements a permission change that results in Windows, not Origin, reviewing the filenames in the ProgramData/Origin folder. This is an ordinary Windows function, not an information-gathering process.

7) Has the Origin EULA been updated following recent questions in Germany?
The German Origin EULA has been updated. For more information, please review the Origin EULA here: http://www.ea.com/1/product-eulas.

8) Is there a double-opt in for Mass Effect 3 marketing emails for German residents?
Yes, we always adhere to the German requirement of a double opt-in standard for marketing emails. Mass Effect 3 users must opt-in twice to receive these emails.

Source : Bioware Social.

I'm glad I finished up an Xbox 360 playthrough this year. Nothing against Origin, as I use it for BF3, but I plan on keeping the series in my Steam collection.

BY2K

Membero Americo
6) I’ve seen reports that Origin is spyware. Is this true?
Origin is not spyware, and does not use or install spyware on user’s machines. In order to allow Origin to install games and their patches for everyone to use, Origin implements a permission change that results in Windows, not Origin, reviewing the filenames in the ProgramData/Origin folder. This is an ordinary Windows function, not an information-gathering process.

Why do I think they dodged the question a bit, here?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I was actually kinda contemplating getting ME3 on PC. Guess I won't be getting it at all. Oh well. I didn't much like ME2 anyway. I was just interested because it sounded like it was getting more RPG, and less shootery.

I was actually kinda contemplating getting ME3 on PC. Guess I won't be getting it at all. Oh well. I didn't much like ME2 anyway. I was just interested because it sounded like it was getting more RPG, and less shootery.

When did it sound like that?

Shepard

2) Is constant Origin connection required or is it a single one off authentication when the game is first installed. Is there also a limit to the number of installations available?
Mass Effect 3 will require a one time, single authorization for the single player game. There is no limit to the number of installs. Playing Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer will require a constant connection.
Well, then I'm ok with this.

Neki

Not sure if I want Mass Effect on PC or 360, have a new laptop, but it'd probably look really nice on a T.V. But hotkeys would be better on the PC, decisions decisions.

Shocked2.gif

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
This doesn't necessarily mean you have to buy it from Origin, sounds like the same deal as BF3. Still, no one wants to use Origin. How annoying.

Anyways...

Steam has adopted a set of restrictive terms of service which limit how developers interact with customers to deliver patches and other downloadable content. We are intent on providing Mass Effect to players with the best possible experience no matter where they purchase or play their game, and are happy to partner with any download service that does not restrict our ability to connect directly with our consumers.

No you aren't, EA. At least be honest with us.

Alex

Don't care, no biggie, will buy but controller support in the god damn PC version this time.

Makoto

Don't care that it's Origin-only. Latest trailers and information for it make it sound like ass, so I'll wait for that $5 sale.

Mrbob

Steam limits how developers interact with customers. This is coming from EA no less.

I'm buying ME3, and I really don't care if it's Origin only but EA are really full of shit.

Darte

meh, no thanks. If it comes out on steam i'll buy it but otherwise I am not installing another digital download service for just 1 game.

epmode

I managed with Battlefield but this was always going to be the painful one. Now that's it's here, I'm finding it easier than I expected to ignore. Fuck off, EA.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Don't care, still getting it. I have Mass Effect 2 through Origin, although technically I purchased it when Origin was still EADM.

It actually doesn't say Origin-only. It says the game will require the installation of Origin with one-time activation, and also will not be available on Steam. But it will probably still be on Amazon DD, D2D, GG, etc.

Cue irrational fanboy rage about how Origin-only would somehow be better

burgerdog

Meh, I'll finish my collection on 360 and pick it up for pc when it hits $5 during an amazon digital sale. I picked up me1 and 2 on steam for $5 as well, never played them, though. I've put too much time into the console version to replay those games on pc at this time. It'll be nice to go back to them some time in the future, however.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I still don't know what this means.
I don't really understand what they've changed in terms of support by switching to Origin either, so I'd love to clarity from Valve and EA as to what the problem actually is. I have Battlefield 3 and The Sims 3 on Origin. Battlefield 3 updates automatically like any Steam title, and I don't get any notifications from EA or anything. Sims 3 updates through a seperate in-game update system like many Steam MMO/F2P titles with their own backend (and unlike the Steam version, which I believe downloads patches in the background).

Steam limits how developers interact with customers. This is coming from EA no less.

I'm buying ME3, and I really don't care if it's Origin only but EA are really full of shit.

They're right! With Steam, developers don't have the option to hold their players completely by the balls. Limited interaction in a nutshell.

Top Bottom