• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHOCKING NEWS: Nintendo TVii is Officially Cancelled in Europe

dc89

t Nintendo of Europe, we continue to challenge ourselves to develop a range of entertaining experiences for all to enjoy. Due to the extremely complex nature of localising multiple television services across a diverse range of countries with varied licensing systems, regrettably we have taken the decision not to launch the Nintendo TVii service within the European region. Although on this occasion we did not anticipate such challenges, we will always strive to develop a range of entertaining experiences for all our users to enjoy.

With this in mind, Nintendo of Europe has launched the Nintendo Anime Channel, a new video-on-demand service on Nintendo 3DS which offers users the chance to stream anime series from the likes of Pokémon, Kirby, and Inazuma Eleven. New content will be added regularly and access to this service is granted simply by downloading a free application from Nintendo eShop.

http://mynintendonews.com/2015/02/1...tvii-for-wii-u-has-been-cancelled-for-europe/

I think most people saw this coming.
Personally, I can't remember NoE commenting on this for months.

Cancel me if old.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Wii-U/System-Software/Nintendo-TVii/Nintendo-TVii-666625.html

At Nintendo of Europe, we continue to challenge ourselves to develop a range of entertaining experiences for all to enjoy. Due to the extremely complex nature of localising multiple television services across a diverse range of countries with varied licensing systems, regrettably we have taken the decision not to launch the Nintendo TVii service within the European region. Although on this occasion we did not anticipate such challenges, we will always strive to develop a range of entertaining experiences for all our users to enjoy.

With this in mind, Nintendo of Europe has launched the Nintendo Anime Channel, a new video-on-demand service on Nintendo 3DS which offers users the chance to stream anime series from the likes of Pokémon, Kirby, and Inazuma Eleven. New content will be added regularly and access to this service is granted simply by downloading a free application from Nintendo eShop.

Make me useless if old.

Opened up my WiiU yesterday and not once did I saw that feature anywhere. Completely forgot it was supposed to exist.

Well assuming we did get it in Mexico.

TheMoon

:O

What am I supposed to do with my life now!

Oh wait ...right ...there is still the eternally TBA Devilish Brain Training game to hold onto lol

Broken Joystick

What did this do again?

From Wiki

Nintendo TVii is a free television based service which allows users to find programs on Hulu Plus, Amazon Instant Video, and on their cable network. Users are then able to select the source of the program they wish to watch and watch it on their television or on the Wii U GamePad. Users can also use the GamePad screen to get information on the show they are watching. This information is received from Wikipedia, IMDb, Rotten Tomatoes, as well as individual source services. The information provided on the GamePad for each show can include reviews, screenshots, realtime player positions in sports broadcasts, cast lists, trailers, and general information about the show. The service is currently only available in selected regions.

Broken Joystick

Tweets don't like brah
YX8a2dn.png

its okay <3

edit: thanks for the merge, mods <3

Don't all Wii U gamepads have a TV button on them? What a remnant that became.

No I use that button every time I use the u. With the u pad I can turn on the TV and switch to the correct hdmi channel. This is actually one of my favourite features of the wii u.

enMTW

Banned
Nintendo TVii is a free television based service which allows users to find programs on Hulu Plus, Amazon Instant Video, and on their cable network. Users are then able to select the source of the program they wish to watch and watch it on their television or on the Wii U GamePad. Users can also use the GamePad screen to get information on the show they are watching. This information is received from Wikipedia, IMDb, Rotten Tomatoes, as well as individual source services. The information provided on the GamePad for each show can include reviews, screenshots, realtime player positions in sports broadcasts, cast lists, trailers, and general information about the show. The service is currently only available in selected regions.i

So it's like the TiVo unified search, except through a game console (where it can't access on-demand/recorded programs/etc) for some reason? Weird feature.

noal

Banned
The potential for a good app was there. Alas, not to be realised.

Thank you Dan for this timely news.

Mael

So since I'm no longer in Europe I guess I'll be able to use TVii....
Because fuck I can't use Anime channel like AT ALL.
Fuck content providers and their shitty ip lock stuffs.

Broken Joystick

The potential for a good app was there. Alas, not to be realised.

Thank you Dan for this timely news.

I thought so too, when someone first described it to me, watching sports using TVii appeared to be pretty interesting. Shame they tripped up with it though.

LiamR

This was a feature advertised on the box. Whether or not Nintendo TVii is a worthwhile feature or not isn't really the point. It's that they pledged to make it happen and have lead people along for years now without even commenting on it.

They should have been more open about it and it should NOT have taken them this long to come out and say it. This is fucking bullshit.

Robin64

Wait..

"Sorry we didn't give you a Wii U feature, but hey, have this free thing on 3DS"

Well why is the Anime Channel not on the Wii U..?

Disappointing, seems like Nintendo has some traction in France. Should make sense to do it there at least. I can understand not bothering with the UK- even though it would probably help.

Just another way Nintendo is letting Google and Amazon take the lead.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
NOE!!!!!!!!

Why does NOA always get the good stuff
/s

Not that surprising, really. I'm surprised they kept up the pretence for so long.

Broken Joystick

This was a feature advertised on the box. Whether or not Nintendo TVii is a worthwhile feature or not isn't really the point. It's that they pledged to make it happen and have lead people along for years now without even commenting on it.

They should have been more open about it and it should NOT have taken them this long to come out and say it. This is fucking bullshit.

Was it featured that much in adverts during launch, in Europe? I think it was in North America. I honestly can't remember. I agree that they should have just flat out said "Yeah, it ain't coming" a long time ago.

I wonder if there's a case to be made for false advertisement.

You don't know what this means to me.

It's okay, as a fellow floating head member, I know what you're going through.

Top Bottom