• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shoot the Core! - Gaf Shoot ‘em Up (aka Shooter/SHMUP) Reference Thread

Momentary

Banned
It is in between CAVE and MOSS in terms of bullet hell and regular shmup, bullets aren't too overwhelming but they aren't fast as shit like in Raiden. Eschatos is has the most innovative enemy patterns I've seen in recent times, really fucking solid game design. If I didn't already own the Eschatos/Ginga Force double pack, I'd be all over this. Also, the OST is god tier. On release I'll probably slap together an OT to try to get GAF to check out the game.

This right here is so true. I feel like I'm the worst shmup player in the world with this game. The bullets are not as many as your other bullet hell games out there, but damnit, they move at the speed of wtf.

Here's a vine clip of Danmaku Unlimited 3's work in progress title screen. Looks so awesome. Already look leagues better than the previous game and any other shmup in recent memory. I think Drifting Lands has a pretty nice UI, but it's not currently out yet either.

Delta Zeal is also slated for an October release from DEGICA as well from what I last heard. They are not messing around are they. Are there supposed to be 2 more shooters that are tagging along with Eschatos? Like some Wonder Swan ones? Judgement Sword or something? When is that getting released?

Yep! DeltaZeal is still on the way.

Judgement SilverSword + Cardinal Sins are coming out too, at the same time as Eschatos. They're smaller games, so they both come in a dual pack. JSS is sort of like proto-Eschatos, a lot of the design decisions inspired M-KAI's later games. Cardinal Sins is really interesting too, because it has different objectives on each stage.

wFXOPzI.png

If you get the Eschatos Wonder Pack, you get a discount (JSS+Cardinal Sins is effectively free).

Aizo

Banned
I don't see the Wonder Pack on Steam. Also, only 3 days away from release, and it's not priced on Steam?

Spladam

Wow, great thread going back 5 years! If you're still around OP you should add that Ikaruga is now on Steam to the front page. I'm just about to partake in some Nostalgia, gonna beat Tyrian 2000 from GOG and see if it's still as easy as I remember it being.

Beat LifeForce last month, could not go very far without the Konami code though hehehe. I just don't have the skills I use to have it seems.

SOME-MIST

We have a name... and date(ish)!

Is this one of the better Cave titles?

It's great - especially with the newly introduced 1.5 mode. They also revamped arrange mode in the HD release so you lose your bomb stock on autobomb which makes it even harder, but the 360 port is the one of the best quality ports they ever released. If it's nearly identical it's definitely worth the purchase.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Is this one of the better Cave titles?
Absolutely. Part of the reason on why I imported the NTSC-J X360 and I don't regret it one bit. I'm really happy that more people will get to experience it!

BOTEC

Psyvariar Reassemble has a preview clip up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=56&v=0ctzef5lhmI

You can see clips of the new game in there towards the middle. It looks fantastic, but I'm not liking that it's iOS. Does anyone know what the text at the bottom of the webpage means?

http://swninfo.success-corp.co.jp/comingsoon/psyvariar_ra/

start.png

Huh, this thing isn't out yet? Since I've stopped playing games on my mobile devices I've completely ignored that space. Sorry, if I can't plug it into Google Translate, I can't help with translation.

One thing I do know is that WASi303 was a composer and sound guy on Psyvariar 1, and producer of 2. Wikipedia also tells me that ORE808 was a composer for Psyvariar 1, so this really looks like a true "Psyvariar 3." Too bad about that whole iOS thing. Can we get a console stretch goal?

@MUWANdo

Banned
So this is a little mind blowing

Raise your hand if you heard of Judgement Silversword.
Consider that it had games released on the Wonderswan

Well now those games are coming to Steam

^New thread worthy?

I already mentioned them in the Eschatos thread (they're being released as a value-add for that game).

All the shmup news gets split across like 15 different threads nowadays.

Tizoc

I already mentioned them in the Eschatos thread (they're being released as a value-add for that game).

All the shmup news gets split across like 15 different threads nowadays.

Maybe we should make a new thread dedicated to all news about Shmup games and have it stickied or something?

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe we should make a new thread dedicated to all news about Shmup games and have it stickied or something?

We could call it "Shoot the Core! - Gaf Shoot ‘em Up (aka Shooter/SHMUP) Reference Thread".

Momentary

Banned

I thought this was what this thread was for? Then there's that Next generation shooter thread that I kept constantly updated but it fell into obscurity.

Judgement Silversword and Cardinal Sins will both be included in the Eschatos bundle by the way.

Yep! DeltaZeal is still on the way.

Judgement SilverSword + Cardinal Sins are coming out too, at the same time as Eschatos. They're smaller games, so they both come in a dual pack. JSS is sort of like proto-Eschatos, a lot of the design decisions inspired M-KAI's later games. Cardinal Sins is really interesting too, because it has different objectives on each stage.

wFXOPzI.png

If you get the Eschatos Wonder Pack, you get a discount (JSS+Cardinal Sins is effectively free).

It's at the top of this page.

In other news, Blue Revolver update to version 0.51 fixing a minor issue with the game speeding up.
http://woofycakes.itch.io/blue-revolver-v05

If you get 20,000,000 points and post a video of you feat you get your name in the credits. I might give this a go this weekend. Has to be by October 1st.

COnkw0oUwAA_UGa.png:large

Tizoc

I thought this was what this thread was for? Then there's that Next generation shooter thread that I kept constantly updated but it fell into obscurity.

Judgement Silversword and Cardinal Sins will both be included in the Eschatos bundle by the way.

It's at the top of this page.

In other news, Blue Revolver update to version 0.51 fixing a minor issue with the game speeding up.
http://woofycakes.itch.io/blue-revolver-v05

If you get 20,000,000 points and post a video of you feat you get your name in the credits. I might give this a go this weekend. Has to be by October 1st.

COnkw0oUwAA_UGa.png:large

Oh it is lol, I just searched for the thread, go sent to page 1 and hit post reply, well I'll get eschatos then if it has those games.

Nice, picked up the wonder pack. Only played Judgement Silversword and its a neat little game. I played it once and got to stage 24 without knowing about that shield move you have. Thats what I get for just diving in to the game. Don't know what the shield is for but I'll play more and figure it out.

edit: Cardinal Sins is a pretty sweet game. I'm not so good at it though. Love that it goes to that monochrome wonderswan look in one level.

Tizoc

Damn I'm conflicted just like with Ikaruga. I already own the Eschatos X Ginga Force pack on 360...

Buy it so that more shmups from that publisher gets published on Steam, at the very least you can gift games on Steam to others so you don't have to own them but a +1 sale can go a long way :p

Just played Eschatos and cleared the original mode (original easy) on my first try but on my last life. Nice game! Love the look and all the classic UFO looking ships. Also like how some levels go "Space Invaders" style. The music is nice too. Kinda sounds like a beefed up Sega Genesis game to me for some reason. :) I'll try the other modes later on.

Shaneus

All three games from the Eschatos bundle looking great and performing fantastic. Degica really does know what Shoot'em up fans want. Thank goods DotEmu has pretty much left this genre alone.
Oh good. Because DotEmu were VERY bare bones in that regard.

But with any luck, Degica might do the odd iOS release like DotEmu did with Raiden ;)

Momentary

Banned
Oh good. Because DotEmu were VERY bare bones in that regard.

But with any luck, Degica might do the odd iOS release like DotEmu did with Raiden ;)

I would love to have Raiden Legacy on STEAM. But it seems H2 Interactive have taken over for those games. Which is a great thing as well.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone know if there are significant performance differences between Shikigami No Shiro III for the Wii and X360?

BOTEC

So, I've run into a silly problem. I tried buying Caladrius out of the US XBOX Live store, but it only gave me the "Play Game" option, and asked for the disc when I clicked it. I guess it's getting confused because I have the JP disc installed to the hard drive. Anyone seen this before? How should I get around this. Erase the JP install? Buy through the website?

Does anyone know if there are significant performance differences between Shikigami No Shiro III for the Wii and X360?

I can't say personally about performance, but there is the obvious 480P/720P difference. Man, I miss Shikigami no Shiro. Is anyone who worked on that game left at Alfa? Can we hope for a sequel one day?

BOTEC

Worth a try. You can always just reinstall from the disc so no harm.

Yeah, I'll give it a try. It was late at night, and I wasn't about to sit there and faf about. Would it be enough to just erase the game from the memory manager? Does that wipe out stuff like DLC and saves too?

shaowebb

I can't say personally about performance, but there is the obvious 480P/720P difference. Man, I miss Shikigami no Shiro. Is anyone who worked on that game left at Alfa? Can we hope for a sequel one day?
I am such a ridiculous Shikigami No Shiro fan. When I bought Castle Shikigami 2 and experienced the engrish it was so hilarious that me and a buddy spent most of a year grinding together to get all the scenes and record as much as we could. We later did an engrish panel...thing is we got hooked on the series and I bought the other 2 mobile light force titles (though one wasn't a part of the series and is just Gunbird lol). Me and my buddy to this day after nearly a decade great each other with the Aja Bros lines of "BIG BRO. LITTLE BRO! Dead but still BROS!"

Later when I fully admitted my obsessive love of the genre I started goin back and it was even better than I remembered grinding them bullets as Roger Sasuke. Just last week I ordered the Shiki 2 artbook for the memories lol.

Shikigami 3 was a great ride as well. I played using a stick on the Wii. Good stuff. The Roger/ Munchhausen run is hilarious.

k4WjqZ0.jpg

God I want more Shikigami no Shiro titles to be made. These things are so much fun.

cj_iwakura

Err, can you skip the cutscenes on this game? Otherwise I'd rather not bother with it, I don't play shmups for the story.

If you're going to play any shmup for the story, make it Shikigami. Equal parts hilarious and dramatic. Mostly hilarious. Shiki 1 is easily the most serious.

Y'all can't talk Shikigami without sending me a PM, heh. I love the series so much I spearheaded a fan translation for the first one(which inadvertently lead to us doing Ougon Musou Kyoku, Shadowrun, CCC, etc).

Shikigami literally changed my life.

Aksys also did a PHENOMENAL job on Shiki 3's localization. Try Roger and Kim for maximum hilarity.

Yeah, I'll give it a try. It was late at night, and I wasn't about to sit there and faf about. Would it be enough to just erase the game from the memory manager? Does that wipe out stuff like DLC and saves too?

Not sure, sorry. I would think save games would be their own thing but my 360 UI knowledge is slipping.

Honestly I like shmups with a lot of story, especially if they have multiple characters/endings.

After all, you have to play through the game X number of times to see the entirety of the story. That's a lot of practice. I got to be pretty damn decent at Shiki 3 after so many runs.

Dang. Had no idea Caladrius was on the US 360 marketplace.

If you're going to play any shmup for the story, make it Shikigami. Equal parts hilarious and dramatic. Mostly hilarious. Shiki 1 is easily the most serious.

Y'all can't talk Shikigami without sending me a PM, heh. I love the series so much I spearheaded a fan translation for the first one(which inadvertently lead to us doing Ougon Musou Kyoku, Shadowrun, CCC, etc).

Shikigami literally changed my life.

Aksys also did a PHENOMENAL job on Shiki 3's localization. Try Roger and Kim for maximum hilarity.

I assume the fan-translation is for the PC version? Where on Earth can I even get one? I've looked at usual import places, and it looks like none of them have it (which is about zero surprise given that it's out-of-print and I've never seen any Japanese PC games on eBay).

cj_iwakura

I assume the fan-translation is for the PC version? Where on Earth can I even get one? I've looked at usual import places, and it looks like none of them have it (which is about zero surprise given that it's out-of-print and I've never seen any Japanese PC games on eBay).

Yep. I honestly wish I knew. Probably explains why hardly anyone played it. :p Send me a PM.

BOTEC

Not sure, sorry. I would think save games would be their own thing but my 360 UI knowledge is slipping.

I know right. I haven't turned the thing on in over a year, and forgot everything. I found the "Storage" management menu in settings, and it's all there. DLC, game install, save data. I wiped the install and the two DLC files, and I was able to buy them again from the store. So the question is what happens when I put my JP disc into the drive? Will it authenticate the disc and play back the localized copy from the HDD? Hmm, I need to find my disc.

Edit: Nope. It's the other way around. I have the US version installed, then I install the JP disc, and the listing in the game menu gets over ridden with the JP version. If I erase the disc install, it becomes the downloadable version. :(

Top Bottom