• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shoot the Core! - Gaf Shoot ‘em Up (aka Shooter/SHMUP) Reference Thread

Conezays

I've mainly been binging on my Saturn collection but grabbed a few games off Steam over the holidays.

Damn, Crimson Clover is good.

Coda

Man some of you guys gotta start jumping on Fightcade to play some shmups. Been playing some through that client and my experience so far has been excellent. It's just a shame the rooms for shmups are always empty. I mean I get that playing shmups 2 player is kind of pointless to the score monsters out there but it's still always fun to team up with a friend in a shmup every now and then.

What options do I have on PS4?

I have Jamestown +, Astebreed, Resogun, Super Stardust, Aqua Kitty.

Of my experience with the genre I would say that Jamestown and Contra Hard Corps Uprising are my favourites.

360 arcade sticks are recognized as 360 joypad... Or am I wrong?

Because I use a 360 pad with Crimzon without issues. I don't have experience with ps3 pads.

It didn't seem to recognize my dualmodded SF4 stick in either 360 or PS3 mode. Will try my Hori EXSE later...

Of my experience with the genre I would say that Jamestown and Contra Hard Corps Uprising are my favourites.

You'll want to look into Darius Burst: Chronicle Saviors if you like old school horizontal shooters.

I've mainly been binging on my Saturn collection but grabbed a few games off Steam over the holidays.

Damn, Crimson Clover is good.

Everyone needs to play Crimzon Clover. What a goddamn masterpiece that game is.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

- Caladrius Blaze
- REVOLVER360

Momentary

Banned
Pretty sure a PS4 port got announced unless I'm thinking of something else.

It did for South Korea. It has been delayed from what I read at H2 Interactive's bloga few days ago . It might be releasing along guide the PC version now.

It was originally supposed to be released in December.

sp3ctr3

Is there an easy fix to use an Xbox 360 or PS3 arcade stick on this?

I have a Hori Real Arcade Pro VX-SA (X360) fight stick that I use on PC. If it doesn't work plug'n play with the Steam version then use joy2key. It's a keymapper. That's what I used with the Crimzon Clover disc release back in the day.

Just blasted through the demo of Hard Corps Uprising (I guess run n gun games count as shooters looking at the OP). Think I might shell out on the full version, I'm liking what I've played a lot so far. Not quite sure what the dash mechanic adds to the gameplay yet but I guess it will become clear as I play more.

Tizoc

I just now learned of Gate of Thunder.
What's its soundtrack like compared to its successor Wings of Thunder?

Danneee

I just recently discovered Compile. Damn were they good at making excellent shooters! MUSHA, Super Aleste and Guardian Legend will keep me busy for a long time!

Very cool.
Though I gotta say, it looks like a pretty blatant Raiden clone.

A lot of shmups during the early 90's were highly influenced by Raiden because it was one of the most successful arcade shooters (commercially speaking) of the time. Similar idea to how big games come out now and other developers tend to follow the industry leaders.

Some of the Raiden clones are actually really solid, though.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I just recently discovered Compile. Damn were they good at making excellent shooters! MUSHA, Super Aleste and Guardian Legend will keep me busy for a long time!
just got these a few days ago
musha aleste is a bit too rich for my blood atm
:)
ortJocs.jpg

already beat guardic gaiden. outside of one particular boss halfway through (the blue tentacle beholder thing - that bastard was brutal) the game was fantastic. it gets a little easy once you know where all the power ups are, though. once you get the level 3 fireball and enough chips to spam everything to oblivion with it, nothing can stop you.
cleared super aleste a few hours ago on normal as well. probably one of the most forgiving shooters i've ever played...i'd liken it to the novice modes in recent cave ports. tricky and lunatic difficulty are really where it's at, and you quickly realize that charge gun is the only thing actually worth using. :)

out of these two, gun nac, and zanac x zanac, super aleste is probably my favorite compile shooter. i've only played a few levels of musha aleste so i'll have to pick that up someday and put some good time into it to make the call. my only real complaint with super is that some of the levels (especially the first one) go on for waaaay too long.

also, am i crazy or is "the perfect kiss" in the short game bgm?

@MUWANdo

Banned
my only real complaint with super is that some of the levels (especially the first one) go on for waaaay too long.

That tends to be an issue with a lot of Compile games--that and overpowered weapons that trivialise everything--and I tend not to play them very often for those reasons, interesting as they are.

The Mahou Daisakusen series of arcade games is a spiritual successor to those later Compile games like Musha and Spriggan, so give those a shot if you haven't already.

Just played some Mahou Daisuken (AKA Sorcer Striker), really liked the combination of traditional fantasy and more modern sci-fi shmup aesthetics. What are some other shmups that have a fantasy theme?

SOME-MIST

Just played some Mahou Daisuken (AKA Sorcer Striker), really liked the combination of traditional fantasy and more modern sci-fi shmup aesthetics. What are some other shmups that have a fantasy theme?

great mahou daisakusen (dimahoo) which is even better than sorcer striker imo.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

Sol Divide is one I personally like, though it doesn't seem to have the best reputation among the shmup community at large, from what I've seen.

Top Bottom