• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shoot the Core! - Gaf Shoot ‘em Up (aka Shooter/SHMUP) Reference Thread

fatty said:
As for Capcom shooters, I remember U.N. Squadron coming out for the SNES and wanting to play it so bad from the screen shots. But it really did suffer quite a bit from slowdown and I was a little letdown from the game itself. But it's been a while so I might have to give it another chance (I'm glad I did that with Mars Matrix).

I always liked the 1942/1943 games back when I was a kid but overall the weapons lack variety and the stages are too repetitive for me to want to revisit when there is so much more out there that can be played without spending a lot of money.

U.N. Squadron's another great game. Capcom definitely made some pretty good 8 and 16 bit shmups. :)

As for 1942 and 1943, yeah, I agree -- the early games in that series are just a little too boring for me. 1942 was somewhat groundbreaking at the time it came out, but looking back on it it's just so long, so repetitive, and so dull as a result that it's just not that fun. 1943's improved some from the first game, but still is a bit too much like it I think. It makes me think a bit of Tecmo's Star Force, the game is fun to play, for a few minutes... until you realize that the game has something like 25 levels, no continues, and only one powerup. Good luck.

1941's better than the first two, though, though its only home ports are the SuperGrafx and Capcom Classics Collection Vol. 2. Still, it's good. The later two '90s games in the series, 19xx and 1944, are also both definitely good games well worth playing. It's really too bad that there are no console ports of either game, it'd have been nice to see as they're fun games.

Rafaelcsa said:
Yep, I've been playing the Capcom shmups off the 2 Classics Collections. Some quality gaming on both. :)

I wish UN Squadron was on the VC. I hear it's really great.

U.N. Squadron was one of their more popular SNES shooters, too. As for why it's not in the Classics Collection, I can only guess that it's because the game is actually based on an anime, Area 88, and that was the game's title in Japan. They probably didn't want to have to pay for the license again or something...

It is disappointing, though, that the game's spiritual sequel Carrier Air Wing did not end up in either collection. That game is not based on an anime, and was only ever released in the arcades, so it'd have been fantastic to finally see it on a console... pretty cool game, particularly for anyone who liked U.N. Squadron.

A Black Falcon said:
Awesome, Taito Legends 2 is one of the best classic collections ever, no question. It's got a lot of games in it, a lot of them are really good, and the emulation is mostly good. The only negatives really are that the Xbox version is Europe only and is missing four of the shmups, while the PS2 version has massive slowdown in Dungeon Magic and no four player in the beat 'em ups (Dungeon Magic, Arabian Magic, and Growl should be four player games). The Xbox version has less slowdown in those games and four player support, and four games not on PS2, so really it's best to have both versions... it's lucky that the European Xbox version is region free.

Overall though, it's a fantastic collection.

The PC version, which was released in the US as well, has the same lineup as the XBox version.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Anyone know off hand how Raystrom from the PS2 Taito Collection and the PS1 version differ? Or when the PSN/XBLA version are set to come out?

Drkirby said:
Anyone know off hand how Raystrom from the PS2 Taito Collection and the PS1 version differ? Or when the PSN/XBLA version are set to come out?

The PS2 Taito Legends 2/Taito Collection version is a port of the arcade version, so it doesn't include any extras from the PS1 version. The PS1 version does have a few extras, such as Extra Mode (a bit harder, improved graphics, remixed music), that you won't get in the PS2 collection.

Similarly, while the original Saturn version of Darius Gaiden doesn't save high scores while Taito Legends 2 does, the Saturn version has a cheatcode that lets you unlock a faster autofire, which is really, really useful in as brutal a button-masher as that is; the arcade autofire is kind of slow. The Saturn version also limits you to just three credits, though, so it'll be brutal to finish until you get quite good... on PS2 of course there are infinite continues.

fatty

JustAnotherOtaku said:
It's Gradius with tits, loli's and touching. Not as bizarre as the Parodius games but if you like Gradius, you'll find something to love with Otomedius.

Hmmm, maybe I won't quite jump at the chance to play this game. I'll have to wait and see a bit more. I am very tempted to pick up mushihimesama futari 1.5 but it is so hard to fork over $80 for the game.

On a side note, anyone know of another game similar to Space Megaforce? I really love how each of the weapons have the ability to power up to crazy levels filling up the screen (Circle was my favorite). It's very similar to Gradius in this way, probably one of the main reasons I like the game so much.

simtmb

fatty said:
Hmmm, maybe I won't quite jump at the chance to play this game. I'll have to wait and see a bit more. I am very tempted to pick up mushihimesama futari 1.5 but it is so hard to fork over $80 for the game.

On a side note, anyone know of another game similar to Space Megaforce? I really love how each of the weapons have the ability to power up to crazy levels filling up the screen (Circle was my favorite). It's very similar to Gradius in this way, probably one of the main reasons I like the game so much.

Worth every penny :) Otomedius on the other hand...i like it, but it definitely ain't no Parodius. Good game, yes, but beyond that, nope.

Still, it's as 'JustAnotherOtaku' said. If you love Gradius, or any real horizontal shooter for that matter, there's quite a lot to like with Otomedius. It can be brought cheap now as well.

Mushitari i highly recommend though, even if your not a hardcore shmup player, there's a lot of time to be had with it. Such as with me, this is a genre i grew up on/with, but i had stopped about over 10 years ago playing them how i used to, till getting a few releases on the 360. Mainly Mushitari which pretty much got me back into the genre, but despite not exactly stopping altogether playing shmups, the amount i played them since '99 was pretty much nothing till Mushihime.

You might also consider the recently released Espgaluda II as well if you don't already own it. Then just size it up to Futari and see which one you prefer, then that single $80 purchase should last awhile till you pick up one of the other titles ;)
(I haven't quite read the thread, so my apologies if you've already mentioned/considered them)

But anyways, all so worth it! :D

gunstarhero

Mushitari i highly recommend though, even if your not a hardcore shmup player, there's a lot of time to be had with it. Such as with me, this is a genre i grew up on/with, but i had stopped about over 10 years ago playing them how i used to, till getting a few releases on the 360. Mainly Mushitari which pretty much got me back into the genre, but despite not exactly stopping altogether playing shmups, the amount i played them since '99 was pretty much nothing till Mushihime.

Listen to this man. I'm basically in exactly the same scenario - with Futari really getting me back into the genre... although Raiden technically did it first, but Futari turned it into an obsession now. :)

Still waiting for someone to release a Thunderforce Perfect Collection. :D

fatty

Well...I'm $80 poorer, but Mushihimesama Futari Ver 1.5 will be shipping to my house from Play-Asia. I figure that even if there is the chance I don't like it that it will hold its value pretty well. That and I didn't want to wait too long to where it would be hard to find.

great thread, i recently got some arcade sticks for the ps3's and the Wii and I've really been looking for whats the best for those consoles

... Um you know, I looked at the list on page 1 again, and suddenly noticed that there is no WiiWare section...

WiiWare (US released)
--
Star Soldier R
Gradius ReBirth
Diatomic (arena shooter, evidently not very good)

Also these:

Wii and PS2
--
SNK Arcade Classics Vol. 1 (Last Resort) Also contains run & gun games Metal Slug and Top Hunter.

Wii
--
Data East Arcade Classics (Super Real Darwin) Also contains Ikari Warriors style Heavy Barrel and run & gun Caveman Ninja.

wondermega

GP32
(obscure Korean Handheld)

Tomak - Save the Earth, again
(you're a.. houseplant... or something, which must shoot everything! nice gfx)

gp32_tomak.jpg

tomak_again.jpg

Cutey Fatty
"You are a girl who weighs 100kg but wants to lose weight, so you go around town with your dog shooting junk food and eating vegetables. It was made in Korea."

cutey_fatty_01.jpg

cutey_fatty_02.jpg

Think this was also scheduled for the GP32 but never released, unfortunately - you can find a YouTube of it out there I believe.

A Black Falcon said:
Similarly, while the original Saturn version of Darius Gaiden doesn't save high scores while Taito Legends 2 does, the Saturn version has a cheatcode that lets you unlock a faster autofire, which is really, really useful in as brutal a button-masher as that is; the arcade autofire is kind of slow. The Saturn version also limits you to just three credits, though, so it'll be brutal to finish until you get quite good... on PS2 of course there are infinite continues.

The irony of that autofire cheatcode is that it actually enables the default firing rate. Funny thing about Darius Gaiden is that while the attract demo features an absurd firing rate the rate when actually playing the game is dramatically reduced. Interestingly enough every superplay uses this increased firing rate and I believe Taito officially recognizes it as the default rate, they just never bothered to fix it.

Furthermore there is a code I think that ups the credits to 9. Not that they're needed or anything cause once you know the stages the increased fire rate cuts through bosses like nothing at all.

Shiki 3 is good btw. I give it a lot of shit but it's actually kind of fun and I imagine anyone will be able to 1CC after going through each and every possible story scenario.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Shiki 3 is good btw. I give it a lot of shit but it's actually kind of fun and I imagine anyone will be able to 1CC after going through each and every possible story scenario.

Was I the only one who found Shiki 3 really hard? Everything from stage 4 boss fight and up was just pain.

I'm not super big into shmups, but I have been playing Gradius III on SNES recently, both to remember how much fun it is and to try to beat the game finally (I'm steadily making progress, and I think I'm getting close). I really need to get Gradius V sometime. I may have to check with my local Gamestops to see if any of them still have copies.

Also, how is Gradius IV? I have it on PS2 but I don't think I've ever played it. Just wondering if it would be worth playing next.

adversesolutions said:
Was I the only one who found Shiki 3 really hard? Everything from stage 4 boss fight and up was just pain.

I thought the 4th boss and everything just before him was the hardest part of the game.

Then again I admit I cheated a little. I use a combination of Time Gal and that kid who can cancel bullets.

fatty

ElectricBanquet said:
I'm not super big into shmups, but I have been playing Gradius III on SNES recently, both to remember how much fun it is and to try to beat the game finally (I'm steadily making progress, and I think I'm getting close). I really need to get Gradius V sometime. I may have to check with my local Gamestops to see if any of them still have copies.

Also, how is Gradius IV? I have it on PS2 but I don't think I've ever played it. Just wondering if it would be worth playing next.

I'm guessing you have Gradius III/IV pack for the PS2? If you do you should play Gradius III on the SNES and then immediately try playing it on the PS2. I remember playing Gradius III on the PS2 and thinking "I didn't think I was this bad at the game" and then booting it up on the SNES and seeing it play much easier.

Later on I came across this blog about the history of Gradius:

Gradius III hit arcades in December of 1989 and was reportedly considered so difficult that it was pulled from them not too long after the new year. The chief reason for this difficulty is primarily regarded as the lack of any continue feature whatsoever; after losing your initial lives you are forced to start over at the beginning of the game. Even through arcade operator dip-switches there is no way to enable continuing, though default life allocation can be increased. The Japanese release featured a special "beginners" mode that allowed the player to take on the first three levels at a decreased difficulty level—this option was removed from some other releases but offset with a slightly easier level of play.

The game did introduce a series of interesting additions, though: a new edit mode allowing the player to customize their upgrade bar makes its first appearance here, and the fourth stage of the game is a peculiar "third-person" stage where the view shifts to behind the ship in a sort of 3D mode and the player has to avoid coming into contact with the sides of the passageways.

Ultimately, Gradius III is widely regarded as being so difficult that many players consider the home port for the Super NES to be the superior version due to its much more forgiving difficulty and introduction of a continue system, despite two levels (one of them the 3D level) having been removed from the game.

As for Gradius IV, it has been a while but I don't recall anything about it that really stood out as being very memorable. It certainly didn't catch my attention like Gradius V did, but I should go back and play it and give it another shot. (that certainly worked when I did itt for Mars Matrix)

PepsimanVsJoe said:

For anyone trying to pick it up on the cheap, Gamestop currently has it for $10 new in store.

A Black Falcon, I updated the list to add the compilations for the Wii and PS2. Nothing gets past you my friend.

fatty said:
I'm guessing you have Gradius III/IV pack for the PS2? If you do you should play Gradius III on the SNES and then immediately try playing it on the PS2. I remember playing Gradius III on the PS2 and thinking "I didn't think I was this bad at the game" and then booting it up on the SNES and seeing it play much easier.

Yeah, I've heard that the arcade version was ridiculously hard. It probably would be interesting to play right after the SNES version just to see how badly it kicks my ass.

fatty said:
As for Gradius IV, it has been a while but I don't recall anything about it that really stood out as being very memorable. It certainly didn't catch my attention like Gradius V did, but I should go back and play it and give it another shot. (that certainly worked when I did itt for Mars Matrix)

Thanks. I'll definitely give it a try, but I won't try to force myself to keep playing if I don't really get into it.

So either I can play the slowdown-riddled SNES Gradius III or the ball-busting-riddled Arcade Gradius III.

Really and truly sucks.

BTW I wouldn't worry too much about Gradius IV. It uses 3D graphics but there's like one stage that actually makes impressive usage of it. A lot of the game just feels like Gradius 2 & 3 redux and coming out after Gaiden hurt it pretty badly.

Tain said:
This makes no sense at all. The first two Gradius games had no continue options, either, and they don't have the same reputation. Gradius III is stupidly difficult because of the stages themselves, not because it doesn't have some operator-enabled continue function. As far as most players are concerned (the ones that actually play these games, I mean), all of these games send you back to the beginning when you lose all your lives.

What do you expect? It's a Nintendo fansite.

Tain

Gradius III hit arcades in December of 1989 and was reportedly considered so difficult that it was pulled from them not too long after the new year. The chief reason for this difficulty is primarily regarded as the lack of any continue feature whatsoever; after losing your initial lives you are forced to start over at the beginning of the game. Even through arcade operator dip-switches there is no way to enable continuing, though default life allocation can be increased.

This makes no sense at all. The first two Gradius games had no continue options, either, and they don't have the same reputation. Gradius III is stupidly difficult because of the stages themselves, not because it doesn't have some operator-enabled continue function. As far as most players are concerned (the ones that actually play these games, I mean), all of these games send you back to the beginning when you lose all your lives.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Iron Clad (the unreleased MVS version) released today on the Virtual Console (EU) :D
I happen to like it, quite a lot in fact, probably the best shooter for the Neo geo CD.
It costs 1000 points.
I'm hesitant to took the plunge until I hear confirmation it's 60Hz and not capped at 50Hz like Sega's VC imports.

Check it out:
Youtube review - proper Virtual Console version <-- Not me, unfortunately the reviewer's one of those "yeah just stretch the fuck out of a 4:3 image, that'll do good!" :-/

fatty

Just noticed that Everday Shooter is on sale this week for $4.99. Looks like I'll be picking it up.

PSN

Spring Fever Returns on PlayStation Network!

Hey PSN Folks –
Spring Fever returns! Join us as PlayStation Network celebrates exceptional games during Spring Fever, one of our biggest annual events. Find spring-inspired game sales, special content bundles and exclusive bonus items only downloadable on the PlayStation Store. This week’s offerings include Gravity Crash (PS3) and Everyday Shooter (PS3) and (PSP) each for $4.99 (regularly priced $9.99).

On a side note, purchased Mushihimesama Futari Ver 1.5 from Play-Asia back on March 5th and still haven't received it yet. Do they normally take this long? It would be nice to play it a bit this weekend.

fatty said:
On a side note, purchased Mushihimesama Futari Ver 1.5 from Play-Asia back on March 5th and still haven't received it yet. Do they normally take this long? It would be nice to play it a bit this weekend.
if you chose the cheap shipping, yeah it takes forever

shoplifter

Argh

Hello from Amazon.com.

We have received new release date information related to your pre-ordered video game in the order you placed on March 09 2010 (Order# 104-7986109-9973002). The release date for the video game listed below has been changed by the publisher, and we want to provide you with a new delivery estimate based on the new release date:

"Arcade Shooter: Illvelo"
Release date: July 13 2010
Estimated arrival date: July 16 2010

MadmanUK

fatty said:

Depends on customs. Stuff normally takes 7-10 days but can take 4-5 weeks if it gets held up by customs (my Espgaluda II turned up today with a £16 charge and was shipped on the 25th Feb). I think i'm gonna start using someone else as it also happened with my Bayonetta .

fatty

It's good to know that it's probably not lost at least. I'm not in a hurry to get it but yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if they shipped the game in a bottle and let it make its way across the ocean that way.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I ordered a GBA game from Play-Asia once and they opened the bubble wrap and opened the cardboard GBA box itself, both with scissors or a straight-razor, and then sealed it back up and sent it over to me.

So hopefully you aren't too anal about your boxes.

fatty

Got home and checked the mail and guess what I find in the mailbox. It finally came. Maybe I should have posted about their shipping times earlier if that is all that it took for me to get the game.

Looks like it still has the Xbox seal and everything, too. Looking forward to spending some time with it this weekend. It's been a long time since I've imported, all the way back to when I picked up Gradius Gaiden for the PS1.

I still prefer Futari over Galuda 2.

Wow Galuda 2 has endless depth, like a dozen modes, and there's ways on top of ways to play through it while it delivers massive chokeholds and ninja kicks to the neck and balls but I'll take smooth and easy Futari with its arbitrary yet accessible scoring system any day of the week.

Both are fantastic but hey it's the internet and we gotta take sides about everything.

Sucks that Ilvello is never coming but hey at least it's only a Milestone shooter. Thank Jesus and a bunch of other dudes that those guys aren't handling Death Smiles or something.

Speaking of...still no word on a release date? Come the heck on Aksys you're killing me....literally.

BTW Toaplan is dead. They're so fucking dead that nobody seems to have the rights to their shit. I just thought about this because these guys were basically the shit for the entirety of the 80s and early 90s when it came to vertical shooters. There's gotta be somebody out there willing to put forth the scratch to put together a decent compilation. If anything I figure Cave could do it as they've got so much Toaplan blood in their veins.

Damn shame all the same guess I can only make tribute through MAME.

Dash Kappei

I'll repost this here:

Guys, I want to buy a 20" (max 25") LCD/OLED/whatever just to finally play all my shooters in proper TATE mode.
Can you help me out with suggestions? I don't know where to start, I don't think that just going out to buy any tv would be a good fit for the use I want to do it, so maybe there's something that enthusiast are using (relatevely cheaper, hopefully).
It doesn't have to be awesome, I have my Panny plasma and projector for that.
Also, is there a stand the can help me doing a tate mode or hanging it (it might be difficult in that room) is the only way?

fatty

Dash Kappei said:
I'll repost this here:

Guys, I want to buy a 20" (max 25") LCD/OLED/whatever just to finally play all my shooters in proper TATE mode.
Can you help me out with suggestions? I don't know where to start, I don't think that just going out to buy any tv would be a good fit for the use I want to do it, so maybe there's something that enthusiast are using (relatevely cheaper, hopefully).
It doesn't have to be awesome, I have my Panny plasma and projector for that.
Also, is there a stand the can help me doing a tate mode or hanging it (it might be difficult in that room) is the only way?

My first question is what systems do you plan on hooking up to it?

I've seen where people will just use a standard lcd computer monitor and hook up the Dreamcast/360 up to it with VGA cables. Of course you'd be able to hook up the 360/PS3 to it with HDMI/DVI as well.

If you're looking to play some of your older systems then that is where you will probably need to pick up a LCD TV with at least S-Video and/or composite (red, white and yellow) inputs.

Anso said:
Am I the only one who thought R-Type Final was fucktastic?

I wouldn't go that far but every time I have tried playing it I remember never being overwhelmed by anything, or even having the urge to continue playing. I still find Super R-Type and R-type III to be more memorable.

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Speaking of...still no word on a release date? Come the heck on Aksys you're killing me....literally.

Aksys was at PAX East and they confirmed it would be out in June.

I tried to weasel some information out of them about pricing and packaging, but the guy I talked to had no idea.

discoalucard said:
Aksys was at PAX East and they confirmed it would be out in June.

I tried to weasel some information out of them about pricing and packaging, but the guy I talked to had no idea.
Deathsmiles 360 looks a lot prettier then i remember Deathsmiles looking in arcades, sadly i didnt get to play it at Pax

Dash Kappei

fatty said:
My first question is what systems do you plan on hooking up to it?

PSX, PS2 for all my Cave/Taito/etc games, Dreamcast (I've got the VGA box and even if Gun Bird doesn't work with it I have the collection for PS2 PAL).
Xbox 360 maybe, in the future when I'll feel like buying another one (JPN) just to dedicate for that.

I've seen where people will just use a standard lcd computer monitor and hook up the Dreamcast/360 up to it with VGA cables. Of course you'd be able to hook up the 360/PS3 to it with HDMI/DVI as well.

I'd prefer going with a tv if possible.
Simply because as far as inch-per-$ a monitor is just more expensive and I'd need an awful vga converter to play with system providing only an interlaced video-output.
RGB scart is really the minimum I want to use with old gen systems, which is provided with every tv here in PAL land. I also don't care for 1080p, 720p would be more than enough for the size I'm going for and a 720p display handles SD way better. If I could find a suitable little plasma (wich I don't think I will) that would be my #1 choice.

If you're looking to play some of your older systems then that is where you will probably need to pick up a LCD TV with at least S-Video and/or composite (red, white and yellow) inputs.[/quote]

Thanks, about the inputs and display technologies I'm pretty knowledgeable, I used to write on a dedicated home-cinema magazine here in Italy (Digital High-Fidelity=Alta Fedelta' Digitale).
I just don 't have any idea what models/workarounds would be my best bet to play TATE.

Thanks for helping me out, more suggestions would be really appreciated!

Yo anyone familiar with the Vasara games?
I'm messing around with part 1 at the moment. I'm playing at this girl and seems like all I'm doing is spamming an attack that cancels bullets and does big damage.

I actually got to the 4th stage on one life(I lost the first two on stage 1 lolz) so I dunno seems like there should be more to it.

Still it's neat for what it is and apparently it's based off some alternate version of Japan's 1600 AD and everyone has hoverbikes and shit. Tokugawa leyasu has armies of robot samurais. It's a bit odd.

Dash Kappei

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Yo anyone familiar with the Vasara games?
I'm messing around with part 1 at the moment. I'm playing at this girl and seems like all I'm doing is spamming an attack that cancels bullets and does big damage.

I actually got to the 4th stage on one life(I lost the first two on stage 1 lolz) so I dunno seems like there should be more to it.

Still it's neat for what it is and apparently it's based off some alternate version of Japan's 1600 AD and everyone has hoverbikes and shit. Tokugawa leyasu has armies of robot samurais. It's a bit odd.

YES!
I like Vasara 2 the most, it's a nice mix of Guwange, Gunbird and the music reminds very much of the godly Goemon (Mystical Ninja) soundtrack :D

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
Jack Random said:
Deathsmiles 360 looks a lot prettier then i remember Deathsmiles looking in arcades, sadly i didnt get to play it at Pax

They redrew the sprites but not the backgrounds. It looks better in some ways, but the visual disparity is very, very apparent. I'm assuming there's a way to go back to the original arcade visuals. They might be lower res but I'd prefer the consistency.

danmaku

discoalucard said:
They redrew the sprites but not the backgrounds. It looks better in some ways, but the visual disparity is very, very apparent. I'm assuming there's a way to go back to the original arcade visuals. They might be lower res but I'd prefer the consistency.

Yes, there is. Arcade mode is a 1:1 port of the PCB version, 360 mode is the same game with HD graphics. But if you want to play in Arcade mode you should use a CRT tv; it looks like crap on LCDs, to the point that it's unplayable because you can't understand what's going on.

discoalucard said:

The Japanese release I have let you play any more in 360 or original mode (original being original arcade sprites). But to tell you the truth, unless you have an arcade monitor to play, the redraw looks better. You will not pay attention to the scenario that much during the gameplay.

Top Bottom