• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shoot the Core! - Gaf Shoot ‘em Up (aka Shooter/SHMUP) Reference Thread

fatty

Just in case you haven't seen it, there is still a little time to get these shooters (listing all of them and not just the shooters) off of Xbox Live Gold on sale:

Bangai-O HD: Missile Fury (2 player online co-op) – 400 MS Points (50% off)
Guwange (2 player local/online co-op) – 400 MS Points (50% off)
Hard Corps: Uprising (2 player local/online co-op) – 600 MS Points (50% off)
Radiant Silvergun (2 player local/online co-op) – 600 MS Points (50% off)

I haven't been on Xbox Live for a while, but seeing this promotion today prompted me to activate my 12 month gold card I bought a few months ago.

Also, another reminder that Jameston is part of the latest humblebundle.

New Years greeting cards from Grev!

top_img_ny2012.jpg

Strania - the Stella Machina and Senko no Ronde DUO

BOTEC

iOS version of Rayforce is out today. Downloading now. I wonder how Taito handled this version.

Edit:
iPhone Mode controls just fine, similarly to Cave games, but Arcade Mode seems too floaty for some reason. Maybe it would work better with iCade or something. Graphics options include "original" display mode which has unfiltered, pretty pixels but shrinks the game screen down quite a bit. It might be a bit hard to see on a phone, but feels just right on an iPad in 2x mode. Also, Arcade Mode has a "credit" button and the "Recycle, please don't trash it" PSA screen. Super nice touch.

So what do you folks think about Under Defeat for X360/PS3?

I'm a big Grev fan, but I just do not really feel this game. I've tried it out in the arcade and the janky way you turn the helicopter just turns me off. High old-school difficulty, score bonuses by destroying things with your options (aka don't shoot) = ehhhh.

Somebody sell me on this game. I have a bunch of games to play but could maybe find time.

All over it. It was my favourite of the late surge of Dreamcast shmup releases and, although it's an expensive import in an expensive month, I'm going to make room for it. I don't know, the who atmosphere and gameplay just felt right to me first time round. My only question is which platform to buy it on.

All over it. It was my favourite of the late surge of Dreamcast shmup releases and, although it's an expensive import in an expensive month, I'm going to make room for it. I don't know, the who atmosphere and gameplay just felt right to me first time round. My only question is which platform to buy it on.

Given the option of both, I'd probably go with 360 because of my Seimitsu stick and that's where all my Shooting games this gen are.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Given the option of both, I'd probably go with 360 because of my Seimitsu stick and that's where all my Shooting games this gen are.

Even though I've had a J360 for a while now and several shooters for it, I've already preordered it for PS3 - partly to support the genre on the system and partly because I still don't have a proper 360 stick. :p

BOTEC

I'm a big Grev fan, but I just do not really feel this game. I've tried it out in the arcade and the janky way you turn the helicopter just turns me off. High old-school difficulty, score bonuses by destroying things with your options (aka don't shoot) = ehhhh.

Somebody sell me on this game. I have a bunch of games to play but could maybe find time.

I can't really help here since I agree that the game is pretty janky, but it's also my favorite G.Rev work. I never liked Border Down and couldn't get into Senko no Ronde at all. It's a nice traditional vert with helicopters and generic military guys. Something of a rarity in modern shooters.

I'm picking up UDHD for the PS3, a new stick and outfitting it properly.

That's funny, I've worn my sticks down so hard in the last three years of gaming that my Seimitsu stick is out of commission and my back-up Sanwa is on its last legs. Been trying to get that 300 million in Akai Katana like cool Mr. Iconoclast, but keep eating it on basic bosses due to how worn down my stick is. Blah. Need to pick up a new one before the 360 kicks it here.

http://kokuga.net/commentary/

So Grev published an interview with Iuchi and Fujita, two of the programmers for the upcoming Kokuga for 3DS.

Some interesting points:

• Both Iuchi and Fujita were programmers for Ikaruga, Iuchi being the lead at Treasure and Fujita helping out from Grev's end during the game's development.
  • Kokuga was originally conceived as a Nintendo DS game, and is Iuchi's first project as a Grev employee. He was an assistant on Strania.
    This is exciting because it means Iuchi probably has more work in the pipeline.
  • Both praise the multiplayer of Kokuga as "really fun when played with a few friends". No doubt PR, but makes me curious.

I'm definitely interested in seeing how Kokuga plays, and want to recruit some of my friends with J 3DSs to check it out. If it's fun enough I might consider picking up a 3DS.

I also watched the Grev broadcast the other day that was streamed from Tokyo. Some interesting tid-bits:

• Maruyama was very frank that Grev games always sell about 10,000 + a thousand or two in terms of sell-in.
  • Strania sold about the same amount, but at a lower price point, so they ate a loss with the project.
  • Right now they're concentrating on releasing more soundtracks and the Senko no Ronde novel (which I'll be picking up).

Man, I feel like I should make a Grev thread. I wouldn't even care if I was the only one to update it lol.

bengraven

SHMUPs are one of the genres I wish I could have gotten into more.

My brain just can't process the constant feedback screaming across the screen: whether because of my ADD or slow brain or whatever.

I always went through my three lives 1/3 of the way through the first levels...and always after wasting all my "bombs".

Tain

I think it's been out in arcades for a few months now.

adversesolutions said:

I've played a little bit of the Dreamcast port. It seems like a solid game (the rotation stuff doesn't bother me at all), but I'm way more interested in putting more time into Border Down. So, yeah, I'm a little iffy on it myself. Probably still going to pick it up.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

My brain just can't process the constant feedback screaming across the screen: whether because of my ADD or slow brain or whatever.

I always went through my three lives 1/3 of the way through the first levels...and always after wasting all my "bombs".

Dude, you have to learn ;)

I didn't get into shmups till I was 25 or so! Now I'm semi-decent in the craziest bullet hell games.

Start out with something a little more slower and deliberate, like the Gradius series. Work your way up from there!

BOTEC

Dude, you have to learn ;)

I didn't get into shmups till I was 25 or so! Now I'm semi-decent in the craziest bullet hell games.

Start out with something a little more slower and deliberate, like the Gradius series. Work your way up from there!

Definitely. A game that helped me a lot with getting the dodging basics down was rRootage.

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~cs8k-cyu/windows/rr_e.html

The abstract graphics really help convey what's going on. Make your dot miss the other dots.

That's everyone when they first start out. Just keep plugging away, you'll get better in no time.

Also, some games are a whole lot harder than others.

Some nice beginner games:

Gradius (The first one seems pretty reasonable. Some of the sequels are for masochists though)
Thunderforce 3, 4, 5. (Some personal favorites, great series)
Axelay (Switches between horizontal and vertical, fairly slow paced)
Various Touhou games (Not a cakewalk, but not nearly as challenging as they look. Also tend to be fairly slow paced)
Deathsmiles (Watched a friend with who only rarely plays shmups 1cc it on all level 1's, the final stage and end boss were a on a blind run, it was awesome to watch.)
DoDonPachi Ressurection (Has autobomb, which might teach some bad habits, but it is new and exciting =P)

Tain

Some nice beginner games:

Gradius (The first one seems pretty reasonable. Some of the sequels are for masochists though)
Thunderforce 3, 4, 5. (Some personal favorites, great series)
Axelay (Switches between horizontal and vertical, fairly slow paced)
Various Touhou games (Not a cakewalk, but not nearly as challenging as they look. Also tend to be fairly slow paced)
Deathsmiles (Watched a friend with who only rarely plays shmups 1cc it on all level 1's)
DoDonPachi Ressurection (Has autobomb, which might teach some bad habits, but it is new and exciting =P)

I agree most with Deathsmiles (make sure you play Arcade mode, not 360 mode) and Thunderforce 3. They're pretty easy without being mindless. Playing a game with autobombing doesn't seem like a good idea! Going with the Novice modes in Cave ports doesn't really teach you anything, either, so don't bother with those.

I love the original Gradius, too, but the difficulty curve is really uneven and losing your powerups might be super frustrating.

And, as always, restarting upon losing your last life is a better idea than continuing. You'll learn the game much faster that way.

Grev uploaded a preview of Under Defeat HD's arrange soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdj5e2ho56w&feature=g-all-f&context=G22543eaFAAAAAAAAEAA

It's by Yousuke Yasui, so that means 1. it's awesome, and 2. it sound like Eschatos. And I hope we can use the arrange tracks in the actual game. I don't know if they've mentioned that anywhere.

You picking up UD?

Not sure if I can justify it...thing is Grev's LEs don't really drop in price that much though so waiting isn't going to do much. Want to cut through my backlog, but the saucy military girls tempt me...

You picking up UD?

Not sure if I can justify it...thing is Grev's LEs don't really drop in price that much though so waiting isn't going to do much. Want to cut through my backlog, but the saucy military girls tempt me...

Still undecided on it. I want to get it some day, but I'm not sure if I want it right away since I'll probably be busy with another shooter when it comes out. But on the other hand, imports take forever to drop in price, so there isn't much point in waiting.

Honestly, if it came with some first-print bonus like most of Cave's games, I'd probably just order it. I know lots of people hate that stuff (including me, since I missed out on Futari 1.01), but I guess it works.

NZA36

Neo Member
I'm terrible at them, but I do love me some SHMUPS. I am mostly playing the old school type like Lords of Thunder and Soldier Blade, but I do try to get into some Ikaruga and Castle Shikigami 3 from time-to-time.

I wish they would port Progear to the modern consoles, maybe even start bringing old Japanese SHMUPS out on steam.

Yknow, I've never given that much thought. What is the recommended firing rate?

Depends on who you ask. There are those who think the game is too hard at the default, others think it's too easy since bosses can go down so quickly.

Here's a vid of the default rate
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv_CW_alNiA

The framerate is dodgy but you can definitely see the effects of the higher fire rate here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A0YDcXhfvw

I'm not sure which one is considered official. As long as your dodging is sufficient and you know the safe spots for the major boss attacks you should be alright. Only real difference is that you'll be spending more or less time on bosses.

(Note that both videos go the easiest route in the game.)

What you could always do if you're concerned about cheating but want the extra firepower is to get a comfortable stick and set two fire buttons that you can alternate mash with.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Just read on Shmups that Harmful Park is available on J-PSN!

Always wanted to play this one.

Wow. Never thought I'd see this. It's a very cool game with some ridiculously catchy music. It's also extremely slow (think r-type) with a very simple scoring system, so it's probably not for everyone. All of the awesome spritework, details and boss fights might just outdo parodius in my opinion.

Also, UDHD shipped! Giggidy.

Top Bottom