• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shooter with the most awesome/satisfying headshots.

I for one love to play sniper on shooters. Doesn't mean I'm any good at it, but I like the empowerment that comes with nailing someone with a headshot.

What Shooter do you believe has the most satisfying headshot.

For me has to be Gears 1. The game that made me buy a 360.

I remember playing this game when it came out and pouring hours online. I also remember feeling so good when i used the longshot to nail someone in the head. It is the combination of the sounds that it makes and the head GIBS that follow. I also remember very fondly the jolt that i felt when i was head shotted in the game.

Well, for those that haven't played gears one, here's the montage provided by MrOogieBoogie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y-57IRZuS0

Share your favs.

Bad Company 2 and Call of Duty: United Offensive both had satisfying sounds when you'd get a headshot.

Medal of Honour 2010 had some pretty neat head explosions (and I'm well aware how that makes me sound like a psychopath).

Duxxy3

This thread is now being watched by the FBI.

And i'll add RE1 - i remember waiting with til the zombies were close, aiming up with the shotgun and splash!

foxdvd

another Gears vote...

Brothers in Arms: Hell Highway had a cool slowdown effect when you landed a good headshot...

Lobotomized !

Btw - the video link in the OP is terrible

Yes it is terrible.

I was looking for a headshot montage, but all the ones that i found had some crappy heavy metal with them. Which misses the my whole point since what makes the gears 1 headshot so awesome is the combination of sound and gib.

stuminus3

Not really shooters, but the exploding pile of eyeballs headshots from Fallout 3/New Vegas are pretty awesome. VATS > headshot > slow-mo killcam of exploding brains = reminds me of the gib old days of 90s shooters. In slow-mo.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Gears of War.

The fact that there are so many "headshot montages" on YouTube is a testament to the game's endlessly satisfying headshots. I put nearly 1000 hours into the online multiplayer, most of it using the Longshot, and I amassed over 12,000 headshots and they never, ever lost their luster.

DarkKyo

kY8Jt.png

Only thing that feels better is when they're in the middle of a kritzkrieg with a medic.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Gears is the standard for this imo.

Didn't enjoy the games as a whole but headshots in RE4-5 definitely were very satisfying.

FPS wise the halo series is my favorite in particular the old pistol/battle rifle.

The more Recent fallout games the first few times you got headshots with bloody mess perk, got old fast though.

Reclaimer

Conkers bad fur day was amusing for its time. Pop! Also, Halo Reach / ODST grunt party.

Resident evil 4/5 were indeed great with headshots! This is one of the reasons 3DS Revelations didn't click with me so far, the gooey monsters don't have heads that pop as nicely as previous games. A headshot in RE4 felt amazing, so good that I would do it even if I knew a plagas tentacle would come out.

Question: is it more the sound or the visuals? For me, its the sound, maybe 70/30.

I love how helmets pop off in Killzone. And then the follow up shot with a high calibur bullet makes the head explode.

So yeah, Killzone 2 gets my vote.

Dragnet

SOCOM 4 had a really good headshot sound. Had really good impact sounds anyway too. I'm not sure about that Gears sound, maybe that clip wasn't the best but it sounded kinda average, just a bit messy. SOCOM 4 has a very distinct impact and squish.

Edit: +1 for KZ2 as well actually, forgot about that. That one shot rifle, so good!

Vlaphor

Kane and Lynch 2 had some pretty interesting headshots. The whole thing looked like it was being filmed with a low-end digital camera, and when you got a particularly brutal headshot (close range with a shotgun), it censored it behind a blur of pixels. Not in a way that suggests it was censored for some ratings purpose, but that instead the game is found footage and is being censored for being too graphic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vesL1g01O6U

DarkKyo

I kind of like how it feels to snipe really far away in GTA4. It feels semi-realistic because you see all the other civilians around the dead body scatter in fear.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Yes it is terrible.

I was looking for a headshot montage, but all the ones that i found had some crappy heavy metal with them. Which misses the my whole point since what makes the gears 1 headshot so awesome is the combination of sound and gib.

Here's my montage that I made ages ago (before Gears montages were popular):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y-57IRZuS0

No crappy heavy metal.

Top Bottom