• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shooting games with the best gunplay?

Havoc2049

Destiny and Destiny 2 (w/a slight edge to OG Destiny)

Overall the gunplay in the whole Halo series has been great, with a few exceptions here and there on specific weapons.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Call of Duty had the best gunplay by far, and counter strike a close second.

Last edited:

H3 would need higher velocities due to its netcode, BR specificslly. As and Aussie that had to be disadvantaged through 3 50s in Halo 3 on USA host for ranked playlists I can feel when things aren't right. Fast forward to today and games like Apex or H5 largely have projectile based weapons, still the online disadvantaged exists but latency has improved, region matching for Apex especially has improved but despite those you can still see the effects on non-hitscan weapons e.g. you die when on your screen you moved behind cover or a bullet trail appears or your melee is discounted etc.

While I don't disagree increasing the velocity is a good thing, H2 (as noted by Bungie themselves) was hitscan and to this day I can still load it up and drop a 20+ kill game in it. Compare that to Apex or H3/5 and it's a world of difference still. Metrics matter and USA centric play, especially for FPS hasn't really moved the needle enough but regional selections like what Respawn do far an away balance great than any matchmaking system Bungie or 343 have ever put into a Halo game.

Infinite simply must let players control their Azure region selection as Respawn games do. Population is increased, game and gunplay experiences are maximised this way. More so than just jacking up a velocity of a network linked projectile weapon.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
50 Cent Blood On the Sand. Awesome gunplay. It has an arcade feeling to it. TLoU2 has very satisfying gunplay because it forces you to be accurate with each shot. KillZone 2 & 3 had very satisfying gunplay, especially the chirp when someone died. Gears of War 3 and 5. You can see the quality in 3 and then the technical enhancements in 5 make it better than ever. I thought Resistance 3 had good gunplay.

I guess it’s all subjective since technology improves upon things greatly. Looking back RE4/Dead Space stood out for gunplay due to precision aiming. If you play Halo after so many years, the gunplay feels kinda slow. At the time, it was genre defining for a lot of players. Good gunplay also exists in Doom, Quake, Half-Life, and Unreal.

CobraXT

Banned
Max Payne 3
Bulletstorm
Stranglehold
Modern Warfare 2019
Gears of War 1-2-3
Binary Domain
Vanquish

Last edited:

Dark Star

first person : doom (2016, haven't played the new one yet), titanfall 2, COD, halo

third person : uncharted 4, tlou (haven't played the new one yet). MGSV also has really smooth gunplay for a stealth game.

Last edited:

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
FEAR and STALKER have some of the best gunplay. Crysis and Prey are right behind.
I haven't played any post-2010 FPS with equal gunplay, except maybe Resistance 3. Not sure what my ideal TPS list would be.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Resident Evil 4 feels the most real.

Meted

How has no one mentioned the Metro games? playing exodus now and it's way better than a lot of the other games in this list, at least realistic shooters

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Destiny 2, game has a ton of faults but I still play every week just cause the shooting is so fun.

Kokoloko85

1st person - Destiny. Golden Eye ( that rumble pak with pistol ). Time splitters New doom feels great too.

3rd person - MGS 5- Max Payne - Gears - Uncharted 4 - vanquish

Bartski

Gold Member
Max Payne 3 was totally bonkers and paved the way for shooting mechanics in later Rockstar games, loved it.
FPS - easily DOOM '2016, too bad the sequel was a total parody.
I really liked GEARS 5 but this gen overall - TLOU2 by a mile, but kind of pointless to assess shooting in isolation from the rest of combat.

Last edited:
Top Bottom