• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shootmania+Questmania = new games from Nadeo (Trackmania) or cruel joke? Not a joke!

epmode

So I was playing Trackmania United Forever today and noticed that the usual loading screen was intermittently replaced by
shootmania.jpg

and
questmania.jpg

(except in English)

A quick search only turned up those screenshots but no official information.

shootmania.com and questmania.com are both registered to Nadeo.

IS THIS A JOKE OR THE START OF SOMETHING AWESOME?

It's probably a joke :(

:lol

I will say it'd be pretty awesome if they made an online RPG that you could host on a dedicated server and all the "quests" were user-created with an in-game block editor, similar to trackmania. Like Phantasy Star Online without the random generation.

I'm pretty sure it's just a joke, though.

Some people are thinking this may be related to some previously mentioned Trackmania themes like "Star" or "Moon" (I actually think those both might be the same.

CTLance

Teknopathetic said:
I will say it'd be pretty awesome if they made an online RPG that you could host on a dedicated server and all the "quests" were user-created with an in-game block editor, similar to trackmania.
*cough* Ryzom with its editor Ryzom Ring told me to say Hi. Not by those guys, of course, just pointing out that it's been done before. (And it failed, horribly. :( )

"*cough* Ryzom with its editor Ryzom Ring told me to say Hi. Not by those guys, of course, just pointing out that it's been done before. (And it failed, horribly. :( )"

I'm aware of Ryzom and I didn't say it was new AND I wasn't thinking MMO, but 4-8 player co-op. But yeah, Ryzom deserved better for trying new shit.

I am probably the only who read it as Shotomania and thought it was going to be a complaint about SFIV xD. Probably need to stop playing that for a while, lol.

Apparently, Florent (director at Nadeo) made a lengthy post related to this, but it's in French and Babelfish done what Babelfish do, so I'll just quote it and hope a french speaking/reading GAFfer can say what's up:

Je peux vous dire que cela fait quand même de nombreuses années que nous travaillons à une technologie nous permettant de faire des jeux efficacement. Elle est aujourd'hui assez mature.

TrackMania est un excellent exemple de cette technologie. Je pense qu'elle formera un lien dans cette communauté, à travers l'éditeur, les maniazones, les serveurs dédiés, les manialink, le mediatracker, le painter, le ladder, le shooter etc. L'esprit sera aussi un lien entre nos travaux.

Le record du nombre de joueur simultané vient encore d'être franchi aujourd'hui sur United. Il est de dix fois celui de Sunrise et d'environ quatre fois celui avant l'extension gratuite Forever. Nous espérons qu'il grandira encore avec vous bientôt, entre autre grâce à ce que nous proposerons avec la campagne StarTrack ou ManiaCup.

Je pense que les nouveaux projets vont également attirer l'attention et beaucoup de joueurs sur TrackMania. Et cela devrait permettre d'y voir encore plus de choses géniales y arriver.

Et gardez à l'esprit que nous sommes encore plus pressé que vous que cela avance! Nous souhaitons, parcontre, pour les infos, livrer les choses seulement lorsque nous pensons que nous arriverons à les faire. Et cela veut toujours dire un peu tard. Je vous épargnerai la blague de dire qu'ils sortiront quand ils seront fait et je pense donc donner une approximations très large de sortie cette semaine pour éviter de donner une information précise mais probablement fausse ^_^

Voilà, j'espère que les 60 premières pages sympa et dernières 90 pages un peu folles auront quand même trouvé un tout petit peu d'explication. C'est rien à côté d'un screenshot, mais ce sera de toute façon pour bien plus tard! (pas cette nuit hein)

Gardez à l'esprit que toute une équipe est derrière ce que nous faisons à Nadeo, même si je communique sur le front

Florent
Nadeo

There isn't much info in there, he promises to give a pretty wide launch window date latter in the week. But other than that he pretty much confirm that the games aren't jokes. The rest of the message is self-praises about how awesome Trackmania is, how they keep breaking record on the number of player and how wonderful their tech/tools are.

I wonder though what exactly they mean by shootmania. Are we talking fps, shmup, etc...

Questmania sounds MMO and therefore not that exciting to me personally.

CTLance

Interest piqued. Trackmania couldn't keep me interested once the novelty wore off, but something with RPG underpinnings in the same vein might just tickle my fancy.
Teknopathetic said:
But yeah, Ryzom deserved better for trying new shit.
Well, at least they're still around. They just don't want to give up, and that's either incredibly dumb or admirable. I choose the latter and hope it'll work out for them.</OT>

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Teknopathetic said:
Big ups, many thanks. Game boner officially stoked.

Totally, if they're simply Trackmania styled challenges with these mechanics, these could well be something absoloutely fucking incredible! :D

DeBurgo

PuppetSlave said:
I wonder though what exactly they mean by shootmania. Are we talking fps, shmup, etc...
it specifically says "FPS" right in the subtitle

Personally, I'm glad it's an FPS maker and not a 2d shooter maker. Modern euro 2d shooters are almost universally awful. Too many shitty obscuring particle effects and weird ship controls and stuff.

DeBurgo said:
it specifically says "FPS" right in the subtitle

Personally, I'm glad it's an FPS maker and not a 2d shooter maker. Modern euro 2d shooters are almost universally awful. Too many shitty obscuring particle effects and weird ship controls and stuff.

Ahh missed that. Would be great if a easy to use levelbuilder came with it. Haven't built a level since Unreal Tournament 99 but if it is on a similar level to the trackmania editor... Could be cool.

"Totally, if they're simply Trackmania styled challenges with these mechanics, these could well be something absoloutely fucking incredible!"

If Shootmania was full of DeFRaG-style (Quake 3 time trials where you're using tricks to navigate obstacle courses) but more accessible, I'm pretty sure I would explode. All over my tits, Nadeo.

It is indeed time for a game that replaces Counter-Strike as the Online FPS and as Valve obviously is not interested in creating such a game I would more than welcome any effort in this direction.

On that note, wasn't John Romero working on some kind of CPL sponsored Online FPS for some time now? Considering how huge the market for these kind of games could be (if done right) I wonder why so few companies try to make a game like that? Of course you have things like Unreal Tournament, but they can hardly be considered serious contenders as they focus more on flashy graphics than serious gameplay.

Totally, totally, stoked.

Nadeo is light years ahead of the pack in terms of making games that revolve around community generated content. Branching out past racing is a brave step for them but I am super eager to see some videos showing how it plays out.

Jasconius

I just started playing trackmania again lately and I saw these... I have to say, I'm pretty excited! I think there's a lot of potential for these, and of course they could turn out terribly too, but I'm still excited!

James Power said:
It is indeed time for a game that replaces Counter-Strike as the Online FPS and as Valve obviously is not interested in creating such a game I would more than welcome any effort in this direction.

On that note, wasn't John Romero working on some kind of CPL sponsored Online FPS for some time now? Considering how huge the market for these kind of games could be (if done right) I wonder why so few companies try to make a game like that? Of course you have things like Unreal Tournament, but they can hardly be considered serious contenders as they focus more on flashy graphics than serious gameplay.

http://www.n4g.com/News-198388.aspx

Romero stated that the game was canceled, but the head of CPL's development team said it was in stealth mode and that Romero was out of the loop.

crimsonheadGCN said:
http://www.n4g.com/News-198388.aspx

Romero stated that the game was canceled, but the head of CPL's development team said it was in stealth mode and that Romero was out of the loop.

Right, Severity was the name. Still, doesn't look too good. Basically no information for almost three years now. Shouldn't take that long, considering it could be a mod or licence a simple 3D-Engine and would not need a single player mode.

Threi

notag
Shootmania = Want.

Trackmania's take on racers is EXACTLY what the shooter genre desperately needs.

Drop in and play goodness, none of this hollywood "epic" crap.

fallout

Teknopathetic said:
If Shootmania was full of DeFRaG-style (Quake 3 time trials where you're using tricks to navigate obstacle courses) but more accessible, I'm pretty sure I would explode. All over my tits, Nadeo.
That sounds like it would be so much fun. One of the best things about Trackmania is how fluid it is in moving from track to track and I think that aspect alone make it easier for people to get into.

Excited to see where they run with all of this, anyway.

www.shootmania.com and www.questmania.com have gone live (no info, just the same load screen, with links to TM, etc.). there's also this story (again, in french)

"A force de harceler le patron français de Nadeo, nos confrères de FactorNews ont eu la confirmation du développement de ShootMania et de QuestMania. Nadeo communiquait en effet de façon un peu énigmatique en insérant des écrans de chargements sur TrackMania (cf image).

Ainsi, ShootMania sera bel et bien un FPS que l'on suppose en ligne et bénéficiant d'un volet communautaire poussé, comme c'est le cas sur TrackMania. Le jeu est actuellement en développement et Nadeo recherche actuellement un éditeur. Si l'on en croit les dires du PDG de Nadeo, le titre devrait entrer en phase de bêta test en septembre prochain pour une sortie prévue pour la fin de l'année.

Quant à QuestMania, on ne sait encore rien du jeu si ce n'est que ce sera un RPG et qu'il est prévu pour 2010.
"

Looks like Shootmania at the end of this year, Questmania next?

1-D_FTW

I don't know how I missed this thread when it was originally posted, but I'm definitely piqued by its potential awesomeness.

EDIT: Ran Teknopathetic's quote through Google Translator:

Thus, ShootMania will certainly be a FPS on the assumption that online and enjoying a community driven, as is the case in TrackMania. The game is currently in development and Nadeo is currently seeking a publisher. If you believe the words of CEO of Nadeo, the title should enter into beta testing in September for a planned release for the end of the year.

As for QuestMania, we know nothing yet of the game except that it will be a RPG and is scheduled for 2010.

Ranger X

Teknopathetic said:
www.shootmania.com and www.questmania.com have gone live (no info, just the same load screen, with links to TM, etc.). there's also this story (again, in french)

"A force de harceler le patron français de Nadeo, nos confrères de FactorNews ont eu la confirmation du développement de ShootMania et de QuestMania. Nadeo communiquait en effet de façon un peu énigmatique en insérant des écrans de chargements sur TrackMania (cf image).

Ainsi, ShootMania sera bel et bien un FPS que l'on suppose en ligne et bénéficiant d'un volet communautaire poussé, comme c'est le cas sur TrackMania. Le jeu est actuellement en développement et Nadeo recherche actuellement un éditeur. Si l'on en croit les dires du PDG de Nadeo, le titre devrait entrer en phase de bêta test en septembre prochain pour une sortie prévue pour la fin de l'année.

Quant à QuestMania, on ne sait encore rien du jeu si ce n'est que ce sera un RPG et qu'il est prévu pour 2010.
"

Looks like Shootmania at the end of this year, Questmania next?

They said they've been insisting constantly on Nadeo's boss to talk and finally they got the confirmation that ShootMania and QuestMania is in devellopment.

ShootMania will be an FPS with a strong community incentive just like TrackMania. They are still searching for a publisher though. They are supposed to reach beta state for Septembre 2009.

As for QuestMania, they got zero info outside the fact it's some RPG slated to release in 2010.

Looking forward to elaborate intricate usermade quests that you can beat by simply holding up!

Seriously though, holy shit, I am beyond excited for this.

GI_Josh87

Neo Member
This is major insane. The names are quite ridiculous, but who am I to judge? I can't wait to see what some people come up with in Shootmania...I've seen some crazy junk in Trackmania, and I can only wait.

Props to Nadeo.

Tucah

you speak so well
Holy shit, I love Trackmania and can only imagine how all the great ideas from that game ca n be applied to the FPS and RPG genres. So excited for these two.

Antagon

Now I'm just waiting until they release Parkour Mania (ie Mirrors Edge gameplay with trackmania style multiplayer). That would be so much fun.

Top Bottom