• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shopping at GameStop is Miserable - Polygon

Tiamat2san

GameStop owns micromania in France and it’s the same exact shit.

The games are 69€ on release day and you can find them 10/15€ cheaper in any other store.

I don’t even know how they are still alive.

urmie

Rarely shop at Gamestop and when I did, it was online. Best Buy has been my go-to, especially with Gamers Club Unlocked that just ended last month for me.

I was irritated by what they consider "brand new", this happened to me back when I wanted Sega GT for OG Xbox.

Customer: "Do you have <insert game name>?"
GS: "Sure"
Customer: Great, I'd like a copy
GS: <Gets disc, puts it in the case, about to charge>
Customer: "Wait, I want a brand new copy."
GS: "Oh, the disc is fine, it's the same thing".
Customer: "No thanks." <leaves>

Valonquar

There is nothing Gamestop can offer me that I couldn't get from either a digital storefront (PSN, Steam) or amazon.co.jp or hlj.com. The only thing worse than Gamestop, are the people that try to turn a room of their house into a Gamestop shrine.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
There is nothing Gamestop can offer me that I couldn't get from either a digital storefront (PSN, Steam) or amazon.co.jp or hlj.com. The only thing worse than Gamestop, are the people that try to turn a room of their house into a Gamestop shrine.
Are you sure?

I swear I've seen lines around the block to buy Call of Duty Monopoly. And even better, it's only $10 more than Amazon.

And while youre at it, feel free to buy one of the 500 different Funko toys (which take up an entire wall) for $19.99 each.

Last edited:
Online shopping didn't kill the malls. It was aggressive hand lotion sales people and GS employees that are trained to mentally traumatize anyone who hits the store carpet. One step away from hanging the customer upside down and shaking the money from their pockets.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Online shopping didn't kill the malls. It was aggressive hand lotion sales people and GS employees that are trained to mentally traumatize anyone who hits the store carpet. One step away from hanging the customer upside down and shaking the money from their pockets.
GS is one of those stores like Radio Shack and furniture stores. The ones where you step 5 ft into the store and already some clerk is eyeballing you and talking to you hoping for a sale.

Relax.

At least those kinds of stores are heavily commission based. If they don't make a sale, they make zero money. GS employees I think are hourly, so no need to bum rush every customer at the door.

You know there's employee sales tactics issues when the customer hasn't even had 5 seconds to look at a shelf by themselves before being hounded.

Last edited:

demigod

On a local level, Gamestop has the market essentially cornered. Many towns and cities don't have dedicated gaming retailers.

Yet GS repeatedly blunders in pursuit of everything except their core audience.
They've been a toy store, clothing store, movie store, mobile phone store... in the past they even went through a (short lived) attempt to merge with book store Barnes & Noble.

Barnes and Noble used to own Gamestop until Gamestop bought themselves out.

jadedm17

Eh its all dependant on your actual store: Ive never had any issues nor felt any pressure for anything. Most of mine dont even ask.

I did have an odd moment once where i was asked to preorder DLC then seconds later informed i can trade in my game for $30 within 3 days.... And i hadnt opened it yet.

Otherwise ive spent a great deal of time at a great deal of stores with a great deal of people and saving a great deal of money.

Blind Gamestop hate is dumb, its RentACenter and other places charging $700 for a Switch that are the real criminals.

Top Bottom