• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Short Teaser for Sonic: Frontiers (More info next month)

Astral Dog

I dont think you need to worry about that, every Kirby has its own "twist", they dont really do same thing twice as far as I know.
yeah im not really worried eitheršŸ˜ it worked very well this time around but planet popstar should look more awesome next 3D Kirby

SnapShot

Watch it turn into a repetitive slog of beat the same guys up over and over but in different spots of the map

Cautiously optimistic

WolfusFh

Could be good, or could be asscheeks. I'm assuming once Sonic Team introduces fifty playable characters, something is going to go awry.

Still, I'm cautiously optimistic about it.
Here comes the usual complaints about the playable characters. Sonic has been pretty much the only playable character in every Team Sonic 3D sonic game since 2008. That's 14 years.

anthony2690

Banned
Here comes the usual complaints about the playable characters. Sonic has been pretty much the only playable character in every Team Sonic 3D sonic game since 2008. That's 14 years.
2017 sonic forces had the awful create a character that you played as most the game, it was dreadful.

Hopefully sonic frontiers turns out decent, with preferably only sonic as the playable character.

I honestly thought Mario Odyssey did a great job... (Plus it was pretty stylised imo)
It looks very similar to what weā€™re seeing with sonic. I donā€™t think itā€™s very well done at all. Itā€™s not creative And does not do the characters justice. The characters feel so out of place.

Last edited:

WolfusFh

2017 sonic forces had the awful create a character that you played as most the game, it was dreadful.

Hopefully sonic frontiers turns out decent, with preferably only sonic as the playable character.
A character that played considerably similar to sonic, but without the boost. So was the it awful and dreadful? Especially considering that it seems to be one of the few things that are complimented in the game, even though it's mostly "cosmetic".
Let me guess, it sucks because it's another character?

There is nothing wrong in having other playable characters, especially since it's been so long that the entire cast became useless. In a open world environment with combat, it's a good chance to implement other characters without changing much of the moveset.

There have been more games with only Sonic playable than there have been games with multiple playable characters kekw.

anthony2690

Banned
A character that played considerably similar to sonic, but without the boost. So was the it awful and dreadful? Especially considering that it seems to be one of the few things that are complimented in the game, even though it's mostly "cosmetic".
Let me guess, it sucks because it's another character?

There is nothing wrong in having other playable characters, especially since it's been so long that the entire cast became useless. In a open world environment with combat, it's a good chance to implement other characters without changing much of the moveset.

The level designs, and the forced use of gimmick items, like electric whip attack or other created character only mechanics etc

The level quality for the created characters was vastly much lower than the sonic only levels too.

Forces was sadly a pretty bad game overall.

I'm probably in the minority and really like sonic unleashed despite the werehog levels (what I think would've been better received if there was no werehog and you played as knuckles instead, would beat digging for emeralds imo)

Markio128

The music seems completely out of place with the on-screen action. It sounds like Iā€™m listening to a reflective JRPG soundtrack, rather than a Sonic game. Very odd. Iā€™ll reserve judgement on the game until I see more.

HoodWinked

that Sonic jank

Nc5L13t.gif

WolfusFh

The level designs, and the forced use of gimmick items, like electric whip attack or other created character only mechanics etc
The items were pretty much just used for combat though. And it was the only thing that actually managed to break the boredom in that game. Occasionally.
The level quality for the created characters was vastly much lower than the sonic only levels too.

Forces was sadly a pretty bad game overall.
I'd say the level quality is less worse than classic Sonic. Hell, many people have. Forces was pretty bad, but it was not due to the Avatar.
I'm probably in the minority and really like sonic unleashed despite the werehog levels (what I think would've been better received if there was no werehog and you played as knuckles instead, would beat digging for emeralds imo)
Yeah, if they had just made smaller levels/faster movement and used Knuckles, it would be a good fit.

Using Knuckles for a fast paced beat em up in an open environment would actually be a style that works. Wouldn't create too much contrast between the sonic gameplay, while adding necessary variety.

Pretty sure they won't be using any other characters any time soon, though. Not even a re-skin with the same moveset.

WolfusFh

It is.
Sonic attacks are basically Shadow janky shit combo from Sonic 06.
If by "basically", you mean it barely resembled it, then sure.
Of course, any 3D sonic game will bring up people like you. Let's use a 16 year old game and dig up any irrelevant superficial """"similarity """" so that we can shit on the game regardless of the content. Let's also use the game to shit on games released prior to it, why not? Lol 06 was so bad lol.

Here's a video for you and anyone doing the same shit.

Ristifer

I guess you forgot about both Classic Sonic and the stupid avatar character in Forces. And that was the last full game. Letā€™s not pretend that their insertion into the game doesnā€™t count. But either way, Iā€™m not gonna give Sonic Team the benefit of the doubt. Itā€™s their turn to actually turn up the heat for once.

Last edited:

WolfusFh

I guess you forgot about both Classic Sonic and the stupid avatar character in Forces. And that was the last full game. Letā€™s not pretend that their insertion into the game doesnā€™t count. But either way, Iā€™m not gonna give Sonic Team the benefit of the doubt. Itā€™s their turn to actually turn up the heat for once.
No I didn't. The "stupid avatar" played almost exactly like modern Sonic but without the boost. Classic Sonic is still Sonic. No other character whatsoever. And classic Sonic, aka probably the thing you'll say "it's the only good thing about sonic" was the worst part of forces by far.

I'm not giving Sega the benefit of the doubt either. But I don't have to regurgitate gaming journalist "sonic stupid friends" shitty argument to shit on the game.

Ristifer

No I didn't. The "stupid avatar" played almost exactly like modern Sonic but without the boost. Classic Sonic is still Sonic. No other character whatsoever. And classic Sonic, aka probably the thing you'll say "it's the only good thing about sonic" was the worst part of forces by far.

I'm not giving Sega the benefit of the doubt either. But I don't have to regurgitate gaming journalist "sonic stupid friends" shitty argument to shit on the game.
Iā€™m not shitting on the game either. Iā€™m shitting on Sonic Team. Itā€™s different. Thatā€™s why I said Iā€™m cautiously optimistic.

And really, you have two other characters (avatar and Classic) alongside Sonic, and they play similarly to Sonic. So, whatā€™s the point of their inclusion? Narrative? It doesnā€™t even make sense to have them. Youā€™re just proving my point that Sonic Team struggles when they try to shoehorn in other characters. Yes, if they introduced other characters in the world that had actual unique abilities and stories, then thatā€™s fine. But they havenā€™t done that in a long time. Even when they did, the results were haphazard at best.

WolfusFh

Iā€™m not shitting on the game either. Iā€™m shitting on Sonic Team. Itā€™s different. Thatā€™s why I said Iā€™m cautiously optimistic.

And really, you have two other characters (avatar and Classic) alongside Sonic, and they play similarly to Sonic. So, whatā€™s the point of their inclusion? Narrative?
No, their inclusion in the game was pretty much pointless, especially classic Sonic.
It doesnā€™t even make sense to have them. Youā€™re just proving my point that Sonic Team struggles when they try to shoehorn in other characters.
But that's not why the game sucked though. Classic Sonic was shoehorned obviously due to nostalgia bait, and "member generations?". The "other characters" in forces wasn't the reason the game sucked. With the same writers, level designers, directors and development time, that game would have sucked even if it was just modern Sonic boost gameplay.
Yes, if they introduced other characters in the world that had actual unique abilities and stories, then thatā€™s fine. But they havenā€™t done that in a long time. Even when they did, the results were haphazard at best.
There's a reason they haven't done that. If they include any playable character in a 3D game, it will instantly be compared to 06 because it's a superficial similarity to that game. As this and other threads prove, anything remotely resembling 06, even if it's a pixel during one second in the top corner of the screen, it will be an excuse to shit on the game. That and the "sonic stupid friends" narrative as well.

OsirisBlack

Banned
Actually looks interesting, if the trailer music is representative of the final games ost ill pick it up just to experience it. I don't know why but looking at it reminds me of Sonic 2 on the Sega Genesis.

linkroi

Looks promising to be honest, even though the world seems "generic", I don't feel the Sonic vibe in the environment, which is a bit "problematic". I would have liked to have a cartoon-style world, like Generation, but in an open world, now it just seems to be a fan-made project on unreal engine. Still, I look forward to playing it!

lyan

This is more PSO2NGS which they nailed the character movement despite other valid criticisms. You are going to move fast so I understand the world is going to look empty in screenshots as a compromise to give the sense of speed.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'm definitely day one. Looks like Sonic Breath of the Wild basically. Has some cool futuristic art style as well. Sonic OSTs always deliver.

I don't expect nothing from this one.
So you're as excited as I am then. :messenger_sunglasses:

Last edited:

MilkLizard

The Legend of Sonic - Breath of Speed

Those 30 seconds look cool, hope the Switch version turns out decent. I'm sure my kids want this.

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
If they are using PSO2 New Genesis engine then this could be really incredible.

PSO2: New Genesis platforming, combat, open world and movement and feel is amazing.

The rumor is they will have Sonic Unleashed/ Generations daytime like stages too. A game that plays like PSO2 combat but more sped up in the open world then shifts to unleashed/Generations stages has so much potential.
What rumor ? Source ?

Top Bottom