• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Short-term effects of this whole lock-down...

lock2k

Banned
Unfortunately no. We were going to a park very close to where I live in the begging, but cases started popping up in the region, and now, 2 and half months later the numbers are pretty alarming.

We haven't taken direct sunlight in a while, I live to the south of the country where it gets really cold and cloudy, so the sun isn't out much anyway, but yep, it's not an ideal situation.

I know of family members of colleagues and friends that died too. It's definitively a lot closer now than what it was even a month ago. Exponential growth, right? You don't see it coming but then it's right in your face.

The spread here was kind of the same, rich playboys brought it in and what pisses me off is that they don't really seem to bother and are mostly the ones ignoring safety measures. Fucking cunts.

Thanks man, keep it safe too :)

Similar situation here.

I've seen three groups of people. The ones who follow the safety measures (because they can, which is my case), the ones who don't follow anything because they think they're above everyone, like you mentioned, and the people who are really poor and need to work outside and get exposed (unfortunately). The whole situation is a mess here.

You guys have had some nicer weather, too. So, everything is reopened in Morraco (like malls, cinemas, arenas)?
Most places are open except mosques, cinemas, public baths, wedding venues. Funerals are still forbidden too. But yeah, we can eat out, go to cafés and malls as we please. Even travel between most cities is permitted. The weather is nice as you said, the spring in particular was beautiful and it’s a shame it was spent in confinement and I couldn’t travel to the boonies with my folks.

Ar¢tos

Changes in my life since covid started:
- less sex (considerably less)

... That's it. Surprisingly, nothing else changed besides having to wear a mask when I leave the house.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Most places are open except mosques, cinemas, public baths, wedding venues. Funerals are still forbidden too. But yeah, we can eat out, go to cafés and malls as we please. Even travel between most cities is permitted. The weather is nice as you said, the spring in particular was beautiful and it’s a shame it was spent in confinement and I couldn’t travel to the boonies with my folks.
They're screening people just to walk outside the malls here. They have tents set up where someone checks to make sure you have a face shield and mouth cover; another guy uses a laser thermometer to check to make sure you don't have a fever. Once you're inside a mall you can only walk the perimeters as most shops are closed. Security stops and asks you, "Disculpe, ¿a dónde vas?" for every corner you turn around. I've seen cafes open and some small businesses but they're mostly only for home delivery services. About your Spring and Summer. Summer is the tourist month for this part of Mexico and the revenue is not coming (because no one trusts anyone to come in from another State or another country). When the H1N1 virus went sorta pandemic in like 2009-2010...I'm told Mexico did the same thing (they locked down everything and barred international travel). I was here then. I guess if the numbers are high, it's better a people are over-protective that careless.

Banned
I wouldn't do a pool party. It would be nice if it was just a group of three. Did any of you get tested after that?

my new gf coworker had a birthday pool party. We haven’t shown symptoms at all. And would have by now. The two guys got it somewhere after that day.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
my new gf coworker had a birthday pool party. We haven’t shown symptoms at all. And would have by now. The two guys got it somewhere after that day.
Just had a cousin test positive today. I'd like a pool party...but...not sure which guests to trust. I usually measure contagious activity in myself with the 48-hour rule. If I'm not showing symptoms in 48-hours, then I'm more than 98% certain I do have said virus. Didn't mean for this thread to get depressing. Beaches are open in Florida? Naples? Zephyr Hills? Pensacola?

Sejan

I live in a rural county in the country with a population of 16000 and 7 cases total. The first two months, we were shut down but now no one cares.
Same here. My county is a little bigger, but most people didn’t care even in the first two months.

Banned
Just had a cousin test positive today. I'd like a pool party...but...not sure which guests to trust. I usually measure contagious activity in myself with the 48-hour rule. If I'm not showing symptoms in 48-hours, then I'm more than 98% certain I do have said virus. Didn't mean for this thread to get depressing. Beaches are open in Florida? Naples? Zephyr Hills? Pensacola?

the only beaches shut down in Florida, as far as I know, is south Florida(west palm beach to Miami).

deafmedal

The biggest change for me has been eating take out vs dining in and wearing a mask when going into businesses and such. Oh, and the fact that all merit increases and bonuses have been suspended at work :/ I spent the first part of this shit storm working on the East Coast, went home (TX) for 6 weeks and am now on the West Coast. I've yet to experience the 'empty' feeling on roadways but the airports... good god it is amazing how empty they've been. Every time I've flown since April I've had a whole row to myself, fucking amazing! After the first month or so I pretty much quit giving a shit about C19 on a personal level, as long as my bed is decent I sleep fine. At this point I've accepted that I have already had it/will have it (again) and there's not much I can do about it. Thankfully my weight has held fairly steady, I could stand to drop 10-15 lbs but I'm glad I haven't started stress eating or drinking and undoing the 40ish odd pounds I dropped last year. I do need to start doing my modified workouts more regularly but alas...

I went to Sacramento this past weekend to see my mother. It was her husband's birthday and they kinda sprung some shit on me that I wasn't prepared for. We drove to our long time family friend's place, loaded up two cars with people ranging in age from 1-90. We drove a couple hours into rural CA to go do some light hiking and stopped somewhere to eat on the way. No masks, no special conditions around tables, etc. We stopped at a different place on the way back, same thing. Sunday morning we went to eat at a restaurant in Sac, fully packed but they had plexiglass set up between tables/booths etc. It felt both very strange and kind of a return to normal. Not gonna lie though, I do worry a bit, especially since 6 members of the group were 60+. I didn't ask why they weren't worried/taking more precautions, I know what the answer would have been- "Fuck that, we are going to live our lives!"

I'm heading home next week and the wife and I are headed to WA the following week. Trip has been planned since January and we've been worried about if we'd be able to go or not. I am a tad disappointed we won't get to go do normal tourist shit but we can still hike and drive around and enjoy the scenery. We are planning to move to the PNW in the next few years so we want to check out some areas as we both aren't too crazy about living in Seattle or Portland but I will most likely need to be within commute distance for employment to maximize my earning potential. Plus she needs a break, this shit has been tough for her and getting a week with me alone having dirty hotel sex and staying absolutely fucking blazed should be good for her. She sleeps like shit normally but seems to rest much better on vacations. The day after we get home I'm right back out the door to return to CA. Hopefully I can continue to dodge any quarantine, we'll see.

I have considered going back to my old trade so I can be home and potentially earning a slight bit more but my benefit package is decent and I worry about being on the bottom of the totem pole if shit goes sideways. I at least feel a small bit of job security right now so any offer would have to be amazing for me to consider it.

Droxcy

I love staying home & not socializing but the idea of knowing I can't go out and just be human felt really strange (even though I really despise people lol). Then work started back up and they basically forced us back and here we are thinking we'll be going into a round 2 like we all predicted here real soon. This time around I have toilet paper...

As long as I have power, internet & food I'm grateful. Ultimately I feel for the people who are struggling due to job loss and can't provide for their families. I do Concert & Festival work on the side and I have plently of friends that are just completly screwed due to this year being canceled.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
The biggest change for me has been eating take out vs dining in and wearing a mask when going into businesses and such. Oh, and the fact that all merit increases and bonuses have been suspended at work :/ I spent the first part of this shit storm working on the East Coast, went home (TX) for 6 weeks and am now on the West Coast. I've yet to experience the 'empty' feeling on roadways but the airports... good god it is amazing how empty they've been. Every time I've flown since April I've had a whole row to myself, fucking amazing! After the first month or so I pretty much quit giving a shit about C19 on a personal level, as long as my bed is decent I sleep fine. At this point I've accepted that I have already had it/will have it (again) and there's not much I can do about it. Thankfully my weight has held fairly steady, I could stand to drop 10-15 lbs but I'm glad I haven't started stress eating or drinking and undoing the 40ish odd pounds I dropped last year. I do need to start doing my modified workouts more regularly but alas...

I went to Sacramento this past weekend to see my mother. It was her husband's birthday and they kinda sprung some shit on me that I wasn't prepared for. We drove to our long time family friend's place, loaded up two cars with people ranging in age from 1-90. We drove a couple hours into rural CA to go do some light hiking and stopped somewhere to eat on the way. No masks, no special conditions around tables, etc. We stopped at a different place on the way back, same thing. Sunday morning we went to eat at a restaurant in Sac, fully packed but they had plexiglass set up between tables/booths etc. It felt both very strange and kind of a return to normal. Not gonna lie though, I do worry a bit, especially since 6 members of the group were 60+. I didn't ask why they weren't worried/taking more precautions, I know what the answer would have been- "Fuck that, we are going to live our lives!"

I'm heading home next week and the wife and I are headed to WA the following week. Trip has been planned since January and we've been worried about if we'd be able to go or not. I am a tad disappointed we won't get to go do normal tourist shit but we can still hike and drive around and enjoy the scenery. We are planning to move to the PNW in the next few years so we want to check out some areas as we both aren't too crazy about living in Seattle or Portland but I will most likely need to be within commute distance for employment to maximize my earning potential. Plus she needs a break, this shit has been tough for her and getting a week with me alone having dirty hotel sex and staying absolutely fucking blazed should be good for her. She sleeps like shit normally but seems to rest much better on vacations. The day after we get home I'm right back out the door to return to CA. Hopefully I can continue to dodge any quarantine, we'll see.

I have considered going back to my old trade so I can be home and potentially earning a slight bit more but my benefit package is decent and I worry about being on the bottom of the totem pole if shit goes sideways. I at least feel a small bit of job security right now so any offer would have to be amazing for me to consider it.
Sounds like travel is much more convenient in the States. Washington is probably nicer this time of year. Nice to hear that not everyone is getting depressed from this. The key is getting out, still having family time, and know that this pandemic will end.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I'm just so forever grateful that I have the NeoGAF and SupTV communities to keep me sane during all of this.
I created my GAF account during this pandemic. I was reading the archived threads as a visitor for years. I always went back to GAF when I wanted something interesting to read. So, I feel grateful to have this as my go-to site. I spend most of the day with family and when I do actually get online...I'm here. I started getting sick of social network sites some years before now. I have only kept Facebook open because I have most of my biological family in the States.

deafmedal

Sounds like travel is much more convenient in the States. Washington is probably nicer this time of year. Nice to hear that not everyone is getting depressed from this. The key is getting out, still having family time, and know that this pandemic will end.
TX had quarantine orders for a handful of states but not from where I was at. Funny, TX will probably be on some other state's quarantine list soon.
Washington is absolutely amazing this time of year, coming from TX it is almost too nice heh. I feel bad for my wife, it's 100F+ on the regular at home now and here I am in the Bay Area where the high was 78 today!
I agree 100%- this too shall come to pass (and hopefully too the civil unrest).

HF2014

Slept very badly the first two months. Got better after. Was working 4 days a weeks on normal schedule, with the pandemic we were cut to work one week out of two ( essential service )These 10 days break between them were absolute pain. Now im back to work full time, 5 days a weeks, and somehow find my weekends boring, at the job at least i see life. I do have friends im now able to see , we didnt see each other for like 2 and a half month... it was fuckin hard, add to that i dont have a close family, alone in my appartment with my cat, could not move because i hate my appartment and the fuckin covid made me stay here for one more year, and now somehow scared of trying to date and catch the fuckin virus. Tired of washing my hands, following lines for stores, and raging when im seeing people with no mask in subway. At least in 2 weeks it will become mandatory now.

This thing somehow change me, use to be someone who was always hesitating making decision, now im taking decisions and dont give a shit of what people think. Sometime inside of me a part want to cry because i cant get use on how our world have change, and im getting sometime depress that we might stay that way for a very long time, we could say forever? Who fuckin knows. Oh and i got a baseball bat, want to put some nails in it and call it Lucille.

Still cant process honestly on how im feeling. Disconnected? More alive? I dont fuckin know.

Top Bottom