• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shots fired: Miyamoto's favorite Mario game is...

TunaLover

Q: What is your most favorite Mario game and why?
Super Mario World (1993) is something that included of course all the action you saw in Super Mario Bros. but it also had the map features, so it also had that element of players having to think about where they were going and what they were going to do next. I also think that it is a game that developed a large number of staff people who became producers and directors.

USA Today full interview
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gamehunters/post/2010/11/qa-mario-creator-shigeru-miyamoto/1

Amneisac

100% agree. That game STILL holds up to this day as the absolute cream of the crop. One of the greatest games ever created.

Yeah, best 2D Mario game, better difficulty curve than 3 & finding the exits without a guide was extremely fun.(I would say that though, I've completed it about 15 times over the years)

Ranger X

He's just being humble.
Saying that it's NSMBwii would have sounded cocky. Besides, Miyamoto IS human afterall so there's the possibility he's blinded by nostalgia a little.

Raistlin

Seems about right.

Regardless of how fun some of the 3D revs may be, there is no substitute for the gameplay precision 2D affords.

Mael

badcrumble said:
He's only saying that because Yoshi's Island isn't a Mario game (but it's better than all of the Mario games).

Glad that we can agree on something :lol

Magnus

zigg said:
It was, but it's at best a historical footnote to SMG1+2 now.

I won't touch SM64 anymore either, in favor of the Galaxy games, but really? :lol

And as far as the 2D games go, I'm with Shiggy on this one!

TunaLover

zigg said:
But he gave reasons that are applicable to SMB3.
Yep, I think he prefer World over SMB3 because the development enviorement too, not only the game itself.
I still prefer SMB3 over World, by a short margin however, to me World was an evolution but SMB3 was really the game which bring all that secret passage, multiple paths on map, item stock, suits, new platform gameplay mechanics, mindblowing graphics for a system.

Dali

I don't understand the "shots fired". I was expecting his answer to be Sunshine with a title like that.

oracrest

World is my favorite too. Especially the art direction and sound design I like best.

Yoshi's Island does have some incredible art as well.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Super Mario World is the best game ever done.
I agree with Gaming God Miyamoto.

Top Bottom