• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shots fired: Miyamoto's favorite Mario game is...

Ah, the predictable SMB3 vs SMW discussion. It's close but 3 wins for me. Better powerups, shorter quicker stages and it doesn't dick you about with secret goals which you need to progress.

TheExodu5

Banned
My favorite as well. The controls are responsive and sublime. The map system allows levels to be replayed. Lots of secret exits to find, all very cleverly placed.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I can see now that Miyamoto is a man of taste. World is the best classic mario title, after all.

farnham

Banned
shiggy clearly does not know his stuff anymore
yadda yadda

no seriously. great choice. SMW was a great game.

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
It's my favorite one as well. :D

Kind of embarrassing but, I dropped from my town's music band and basketball team because of this game. :lol

Interfectum

I agree with him. In terms of gameplay, powerups, style, visuals, feel, etc... SMW is the best Mario game hands down.

zweifuss

I like it too, but it has by far the worst Mario sprite out of all the games IMO. And the controls are too floaty. For me, SMB3 is the sweet spot.

SMW is way too devoid of challenge. SMB3 isn't hard, but at least there are some tricky levels in the later worlds, with obstacles that actually try to impede Mario's progress. Always a good idea to include things like that.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Jay Sosa said:
Daaaamn I was hoping it is Super Mario Sunshine.
First one that came to mind when I read the "shots fired" in the thread title.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
The best 3d Mario (Galaxy 2) is only better than New Super Mario Bros. for DS. Every other 2D Mario is light years ahead of it.

I'd put it over 3.

But Yoshi's Island is better.

SMG1/2/NSMBWii have certainly earned their place among the best.

revolverjgw said:
SMW is way too devoid of challenge. SMB3 isn't hard, but at least there are some tricky levels in the later worlds, with obstacles that actually try to impede Mario's progress. Always a good idea to include things like that.
I feel weaksauce. World 8 kicks my ass :(

The Mario 'world' is truly realised in SMW and I wish they would have expanded that into 3D in later games instead of abandoning it. Chocolate mountains and cute little hills with patches on their heads are the pinnacle of the Mario universe IMO.

TheExodu5

Banned
zweifuss said:
I like it too, but it has by far the worst Mario sprite out of all the games IMO. And the controls are too floaty. For me, SMB3 is the sweet spot.
Floaty? WTF. SMW has by far the most responsive controls in the entire series.

Anth0ny

zweifuss said:

Mario 3 is by far the most floaty of the 2D Marios. You can jump fucking FAR in that game :lol

careksims

Boo Yah! Love SMW too! I remember the days when it was first demoed in stores and getting it for Christmas. Good times indeed :D

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Anth0ny said:
Mario 3 is by far the most floaty of the 2D Marios. You can jump fucking FAR in that game :lol

In World you can beat several stages by only using the cape leather... SMB3's leaf wasn't that exploitable at least :/

shahkur

Nice choice but I still woulda gone for Yoshi's Island. It's just to me got a LOT more variety. And music/atmosphere/puzzles etc.

In my opinion, the Mario game starring Mario called Super Mario World 2, is the best Mario game.

But as they're all so superb, there really isn't a wrong answer to this. Well, except Sunshine obviously.

Everyone forgets Super Mario Land :(
Supermariolandboxart.jpg

Top Bottom